Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > An Eye For An Eye?

An Eye For An Eye? (Page 2)
BlueSky
Mac Elite
Nov 12, 2005, 07:27 PM

[FONT="Arial black"]BlueSky's Good Timey Concession Stand[/FONT]

In for the duration? Could be a long one folks, grab 'em now:

Soda- $3.75
Beer- $6.00
Hemlock- $4.50
Hot Dog- $3.50
Licorice Crucifix- $2.50
Eye for an Eye- One eye.
Tooth for a Tooth- $8.79
Balloons for the Kids- $1.50
Balloons for the Adults, ribbed for her pleasure- $3.00
"Sparky" Name Tag- $2.50
Cocoa Puffs- $3.00

You're on the honor system 'til I get back from having my hippie locks slightly sheared.
( Last edited by BlueSky; Nov 17, 2005 at 08:17 PM. )

subego
Clinically Insane
Nov 12, 2005, 07:29 PM

Originally Posted by BlueSky
Tooth for a Tooth- $22.79
When I was a kid, the Tooth Fairy gave me, like, a quarter.

Inflation

Kevin
Baninated
Nov 12, 2005, 07:30 PM

Naw no major hubbub going on here blue. We all have different ideas. And no facts.

Nothing really to argue.

production_coordinator
Mac Elite
Nov 12, 2005, 07:49 PM

Originally Posted by Salty
No I sound like someone who actually understands the theological concepts presented in scripture. Instead of someone who simply would like to pretend as if the Bible should be shoved in a closet while he goes on with his life.
As well building on your lack of understanding with the ten commandments. Not all of them were meant to be enforced, they go from being completely unenforceable to being entirely things that need to be prevented.
As well news flash again, the ten commandments are not the basis of a whole lot. If you honestly think that they are some how some sort of cornerstone to Christian or Jewish belief you're even more ignorant than you've already let on.
For starters, I don't appreciate you insinuating that I believe "the Bible should be shoved in a closet while I go on with my life." As I've said, I'm religious... YOU are trying to make me sound like someone that has little or no faith, and that simply isn't true.

My highlighting of the ten commandments illustrates how the laws of the U.S. have evolved over the decades. 100 years ago, you could have been arrested for breaking many of the 10 commandments.

I love how you AGAIN place words in my mouth by insinuating that I view the 10 commandments as the cornerstone of the christian or jewish religion.

wdlove
Addicted to MacNN
Nov 12, 2005, 09:08 PM

That is just so sad Cody, a very heinous crime. My prayers go out to the victim and her family.

"Never give in, never give in, never, never, never, never - in nothing, great or small, large or petty - never give in except to convictions of honor and good sense." Winston Churchill

Cody Dawg  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Nov 12, 2005, 10:30 PM

Yes, it's very sick and sad, WDLove.

My son was severely burned through an accident when he was a toddler. Lost all the skin on his face and chest. Had to be airlifted to a burn center. He was actually fine after a few months and now you cannot tell he was ever burned.

This is a picture of him about 3 weeks after the burn after he'd come home. (This is about 3 years ago.) He's holding carmex - we had to keep his lips covered with it because they would dry out easily. He couldn't wear clothes for over a month. We just kept a diaper on him and gauze to cover the chest. We had to debride his burns (or have a nurse come and do it) frequently.

The accident happened because I'd put a big measuring cup of water in the microwave, boiled it, then popped in a teabag to brew some tea and left to go take a shower...he was toddling around the kitchen with my husband and he came along and pulled the teabag string out of curiosity and down came the entire boiling cup of water on him, splashing him on the chest and face. My husband was alone in the kitchen when it happened and has never forgiven himself since, but I know it was just a terrible accident. Thank God he is fine today and that it didn't hit him in the eyes.

I just want to say, after visiting the burn center, that burns are some of the very worst injuries a person can sustain. They are horribly painful, leave scars, and are mentally debilitating.

Whoever did this to this young woman should never be a part of society again.

- - e r i k - -
Posting Junkie
Nov 12, 2005, 11:40 PM

Originally Posted by production_coordinator
I would NEVER say the world would be a better place without religion, but religious fanaticism has NO PLACE in this world.
Quoted for page 2.

[ fb ] [ flickr ] [] [scl] [ last ] [ plaxo ]

production_coordinator
Mac Elite
Nov 12, 2005, 11:57 PM

Originally Posted by Cody Dawg
Whoever did this to this young woman should never be a part of society again.
I agree... people that commit such heinous acts should be placed in a deep dark hole for the remainder of their lives.

P.S. Sorry to hear about your son.

SpaceMonkey
Addicted to MacNN
Nov 13, 2005, 12:12 AM

Doesn't Australia just toss them to the dingos or something?

"One ticket to Washington, please. I have a date with destiny."

Warung
Mac Elite
Nov 13, 2005, 03:34 AM

Originally Posted by Salty
News flash sparky, religious beliefs are where we GET our laws from!
Errrr, actually no. Laws are guidlines of conduct put in place to facilitate, and in most cases even make possible at all, the co-existance of people in a (relatively) confined space, i.e. societies.

Religion can take up the role of bolstering these rules and norms, but isn't really the root of them. That's why all religions pretty much reflect the real life circumstances of the culture and society they originated from (and are practised in).

The rest is historical presidence, deliberation, philosophy etc. In the end it's all about survival. Just like everything else.

Have you been touched by his noodly appendage?

Kevin
Baninated
Nov 13, 2005, 03:14 PM

Originally Posted by Warung
Errrr, actually no. Laws are guidlines of conduct put in place to facilitate, and in most cases even make possible at all, the co-existance of people in a (relatively) confined space, i.e. societies.

Religion can take up the role of bolstering these rules and norms, but isn't really the root of them. That's why all religions pretty much reflect the real life circumstances of the culture and society they originated from (and are practised in).

The rest is historical presidence, deliberation, philosophy etc. In the end it's all about survival. Just like everything else.
I don't think you understood what he was saying. He isn't saying the laws we use today are used because we see that is what religion taught us.

He is saying such beliefs of treating one another how we want treated stems from religion.

The main concepts of religion is to be kind to your fellow man.

production_coordinator
Mac Elite
Nov 13, 2005, 03:22 PM

Originally Posted by Kevin
If only the people IN the religions believed that.

BlueSky
Mac Elite
Nov 13, 2005, 03:31 PM

You may have meant practiced that. Belief without works is just daydreaming.

Warung
Mac Elite
Nov 13, 2005, 04:04 PM

He is saying such beliefs of treating one another how we want treated stems from religion.
That could be. I'm pretty sure that it's a very ancient concept. Not sure though, whether or not the first people to come up with it were religious folks, philosphers...or goat farmers.

Whooooohoooohoooo. Errrrrrrrrrrr. NO!

Kevin
Baninated
Nov 13, 2005, 06:34 PM

Most do. You just see the louder more obnoxious ones.

Kevin
Baninated
Nov 13, 2005, 06:35 PM

That could be. I'm pretty sure that it's a very ancient concept. Not sure though, whether or not the first people to come up with it were religious folks, philosphers...or goat farmers.
Or neither.
Whooooohoooohoooo. Errrrrrrrrrrr. NO!
EEEEEEEEEER yes. Would you like me to start quoting scriptures War?

Warung
Mac Elite
Nov 14, 2005, 03:00 AM

Or neither.
Or a goat farming philosopher priest. Who knows...meh. Not important anyway.

Would you like me to start quoting scriptures War?
Yes. And could you please start with Mayan, Egyptian and ancient Summarian "scriptures". Especially those which deal with how to treat your "fellow man", if he's an enemy or "heretic".

Kevin
Baninated
Nov 14, 2005, 03:17 AM

Are you trying to say those are older than the OT?

I hope not.

No one knows how old the early stories of the bible are.

Warung
Mac Elite
Nov 14, 2005, 03:25 AM

Are you trying to say those are older than the OT?
Not at all. I was simply replying to your claim:

I guess you are referring to "all" religions here? Or did you mean to say "The main concept of all major religions practised today is "to be kind to your fellow man"?

I'd certainly be more inclined to agree with that statement. Eventhough it is still a bit to over-simplefied.

No one knows how old the early stories of the bible are.
The exact year? No. But they've got some pretty accurate ballpark figures. Good enough for me.
( Last edited by Warung; Nov 14, 2005 at 03:32 AM. )

Yose
Senior User
Nov 14, 2005, 03:31 AM

Just because nobody seems to have brought it up... This whole concept of an eye for an eye was written down by Hammurabi in his Code of Laws way back in good ol' Babylon.
Yose.
Give me ambiguity or give me something else.

effgee
Caffeinated Theme Master
Nov 14, 2005, 04:03 AM

Ok, since it's 3am and I've been waiting since Saturday for someone to post this dumb joke ... if you want sh*t to get done around here, you have to do it yourself.

Originally Posted by Cody Dawg
An Eye For An Eye?
Here you go ...

tab

Now which one of yours do I get?

Kevin
Baninated
Nov 14, 2005, 08:34 AM

The exact year? No. But they've got some pretty accurate ballpark figures. Good enough for me.
No. no they don't. They aren't even guessing.

Such a thing would be impossible to date. No one knows how long those stories have been passed on.

occupier
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Nov 14, 2005, 10:59 AM

you no it isnt the bible that says an eye for an eye, its the kur ann , jesus christs message was turn the other cheek, thats why mulims are involved in violence so much.

Kevin
Baninated
Nov 14, 2005, 11:08 AM

Originally Posted by occupier
you no it isnt the bible that says an eye for an eye, its the kur ann
I assure you, it is in the Bible. I know
jesus christs message was turn the other cheek, thats why mulims are involved in violence so much.
No, it's because some have been misguided.

wdlove
Addicted to MacNN
Nov 14, 2005, 11:41 AM

I'm so sorry to hear about your son Cody. Very happy to hear that he healed completely. I agree burns are a devastating injury. I haven't ever directly taken care of a burn victim. My wife has.

"Never give in, never give in, never, never, never, never - in nothing, great or small, large or petty - never give in except to convictions of honor and good sense." Winston Churchill

wdlove
Addicted to MacNN
Nov 14, 2005, 11:42 AM

I'm so sorry to hear about your son Cody. Very happy to hear that he healed completely. I agree burns are a devastating injury. I haven't ever directly taken care of a burn victim. My wife has.

wdlove
Addicted to MacNN

wdlove
Addicted to MacNN

wdlove
Addicted to MacNN

wdlove
Addicted to MacNN

wdlove
Addicted to MacNN

wdlove
Addicted to MacNN
Nov 14, 2005, 11:43 AM

wdlove
Addicted to MacNN

wdlove
Addicted to MacNN

wdlove
Addicted to MacNN

wdlove
Addicted to MacNN

wdlove
Addicted to MacNN
Nov 14, 2005, 11:44 AM

wdlove
Addicted to MacNN

wdlove
Addicted to MacNN

effgee
Caffeinated Theme Master
Nov 14, 2005, 11:51 AM

Originally Posted by wdlove
You hit the submit button 15 TIMES???!??

"Step away from the keyboard, Sir. NOW!!"

residentEvil
Professional Poster
Nov 14, 2005, 11:54 AM

oh my...new world record!

forkies
Mac Elite
Nov 14, 2005, 02:03 PM

for the wdlove of g-d

Mystical, magical, amazing! | Part 2 | The spread of Christianity is our goal. -Railroader

Kevin
Baninated
Nov 14, 2005, 02:42 PM

Bumping to get forkies post to show up.

Warung
Mac Elite
Nov 14, 2005, 03:31 PM

No. no they don't. They aren't even guessing. Such a thing would be impossible to date.
So you think it's just a coincidence that there aren't any documents beyond a certain timeframe, and no cross-cultural refferences that would imply these "stories" date back further than let's say...5000 years?

Possible, - yet highly freckin' unlikely.

Get over it. Judeo-Christian mythology isn't the center of the universe, and is just another cultural subtext.

BTW, what do you base your in formation on that scholars "aren't even guessing"?

Warung
Mac Elite
Nov 14, 2005, 03:32 PM

Fix the fu<kin' database!!11!!!!!!

Warung
Mac Elite
Nov 14, 2005, 03:35 PM

Now!!!1!111 :-))

SVass
Mac Elite
Nov 14, 2005, 04:34 PM

I guess you are referring to "all" religions here? Or did you mean to say "The main concept of all major religions practised today is "to be kind to your fellow man"?

I'd certainly be more inclined to agree with that statement. Eventhough it is still a bit to over-simplified.
Just to be clear, I believe that this is the major concept taught by Christianity. Most other religions and Jesus taught that one should do no harm. I do not believe that anyone knows what "being kind" means. Years ago, I lived in Alabama and charities were collecting money to help the "poor blacks". These charities were run by the local "Christian" white power structure. Would you have refused to contribute as I did? (Currently, we are using white phosphorus devices in Iraqi cities where civilians can be burned. Do you justify these activities?) sam

Kevin
Baninated
Nov 14, 2005, 05:21 PM

So you think it's just a coincidence that there aren't any documents beyond a certain timeframe, and no cross-cultural refferences that would imply these "stories" date back further than let's say...5000 years?
Lots of documents have been purposably destroyed over the years also. During wars and such. Not that it matters... earliest written work does not = first origin.
Get over it. Judeo-Christian mythology isn't the center of the universe, and is just another cultural subtext.
That is your opinion, yes. Certainly not fact.
BTW, what do you base your in formation on that scholars "aren't even guessing"?
What information might that be? Not basing any information, as I am saying it's impossible to date such a thing.

nonhuman
Posting Junkie
Nov 14, 2005, 06:05 PM

So you think it's just a coincidence that there aren't any documents beyond a certain timeframe, and no cross-cultural refferences that would imply these "stories" date back further than let's say...5000 years?[

Possible, - yet highly freckin' unlikely.
Um, most if not all of the Old Testament would have been passed on orally, perhaps for millennia, prior to being written down. And many of the stories can be found in other places as well. The story of the flood, for instance, is also found in Sumerian and Babylonian mythology in almost exactly the same form as in the OT. Of course that could just as easily mean that the Sumerians and Babylonians copied it from the Jews as the other way around. Or it could mean that they both got it from a common source. More likely is that the stories originated in some proto-culture from which these other cultures later split off.

Regardless, these stories were definitely around for a very long time, some of them probably for more than 5000 years. Though I'd be seriously impressed if you found documentation of anything from more than 5000 years ago.

Warung
Mac Elite
Nov 15, 2005, 02:56 AM

Lots of documents have been purposably destroyed over the years also.
What does "purposably" mean?

That is your opinion, yes. Certainly not fact.
Opinion? Yup, but certainly not as unsubstantiated and unintersted as yours.

What information might that be? Not basing any information, as I am saying it's impossible to date such a thing.
That's why your opinion doesn't mean sh1t. Anybody can spread FUD and claim their opinion is as good as anybody else's, - guess what? It's not true.

Why do you even participate in arguments you quite obviously know nothing about? Or are you only interested in spreading your fundamentalist, literalist crap?

Forum Links
Forum Rules