Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > How to help a crazy woman?

How to help a crazy woman?
Spliffdaddy
Posting Junkie
Nov 15, 2005, 12:58 AM

I'm helping a friend with his surveillance camera business here in Tampa. One of his clients, a woman I'll call Jen, wanted several cameras installed in her home. She wanted to monitor the perimeter of her house - as well as the attic. Yes, the attic.

Jen was involved in an altercation with a concrete truck not too long ago. She was badly injured. The defendants settled out of court for a few million dollars. Ever since the settlement, Jen has been convinced that people are obsessed with her life. She believes that these people live in her attic. They say things to her and they watch her constantly. Jen tells us there are 3 men and a woman living in her attic. They get food and water from an unknown outside source that passes it through some sort of hatch in the roof. The 'attic people' laugh at her and make rude comments. Jen covers herself with a towel while she takes showers because there are tiny holes in the ceiling through which they watch her. This is a new house in a nice neighborhood. There are no visible holes that I could see. She bought the house because people were living in the attic of her apartment, so she moved to escape from them.

So, several months ago cameras were installed in her attic and around her house - even though she was told it was unlikely anybody could live in an attic that averaged about 120F degrees - and that it was unlikely that anyone would be so "obsessed with her life".

A week or so after the cameras were installed we received a phonecall from Jen. She was upset because no evidence of "attic people" had been captured by the cameras. Convinced that the "attic people" had been erasing the footage from the digital video recorder (DVR), she asked us to come over and help her remedy the situation. We showed her how to change the password on the DVR - and she did it while covering herself with a towel so the 'attic people' couldn't see the new password. She then had us relocate an attic camera so the 'attic people' couldn't easily avoid walking in front of it. Also, Jen wanted 2 microphones installed in the attic to capture the rude comments and laughter she was hearing. She had sealed the attic access hatch with clear tape so it could not be removed - and had signed her name on the tape in case the attic people should attempt to remove the hatch and try to re-tape it shut on the outside (from the inside?). Also, there was a camera in the laundry room aimed at the attic access hatch. The laundy room door had a deadbolt lock and the door was wired into the home's alarm system. It is, without a doubt, the world's most secure attic access hatch.

Another week or so went by and Jen arrived at the shop with her digital audio recorder and proudly proclaimed that she finally had evidence of the attic people's voices. We analyzed several days worth of audio recording and heard nothing that sounded like voices - except for Jen's own voice talking on the phone and whatnot.

For the last few weeks Jen has been calling the shop requesting that we come over and help her get rid of the 'attic people'. We've been avoiding making any sort of appointment to visit her. She kept calling and we kept avoiding her. Because she's a fruit loop.

This evening she came to the shop in person and tried to imply that we were avoiding her because "the attic people" somehow had gotten to us and turned us against her. When we refused to come over to her house, she started getting angry. She said she spent almost four thousand dollars on the surveillance equipment and it wasn't working. She told us we "should stand behind our products and services".

There's nothing wrong with the cameras, microphones, or recorders. Other than the fact that they didn't capture evidence of 'attic people'. We told her to call the police if she thought somebody was living in her attic. Jen just rolled her eyes, as if she had previously experienced a lack of help from the police. Go figure.

Look, folks, I've been in her attic. I looked over every square inch of it. Nobody ever lived there. If anybody were to try to live there, they would die of dehydration from the extreme heat within hours. We showed her the attic. We lit it up using carbon-arc lights so she could see every part of it in vivid detail. She said they were probably hiding in all the "white stuff" (blown-in cellulose insulation) - and could we get rid of it? No we couldn't remove the insulation. It was a foot thick and covered 2600 square feet. And they didn't make dumpsters that big.

Sooo, it finally came to the point where we had to believe that Jen was crazy. Which is where we are now. We did agree to check the equipment this Wednesday to ensure that it is functional (I'm sure it is).

Is there any advice you can give me, anything I can say that might make this poor woman believe that people don't live in her attic and that nobody is "obsessed with her life"? I'd really like to get this issue resolved.

Dark Helmet
Addicted to MacNN
Nov 15, 2005, 01:01 AM

Girlfriend needs herself a man.

In the shape of a shrink.

"She's gone from suck to blow!"

Dark Helmet
Addicted to MacNN
Nov 15, 2005, 01:01 AM

Double...
( Last edited by Dark Helmet; Nov 15, 2005 at 01:12 AM. )

Dark Helmet
Addicted to MacNN
Nov 15, 2005, 01:02 AM

Macnn is gay...
( Last edited by Dark Helmet; Nov 15, 2005 at 01:12 AM. )

Face Ache
Addicted to MacNN
Nov 15, 2005, 01:10 AM

^ Obsessive compulsive disorder can be cured too.

Dark Helmet
Addicted to MacNN
Nov 15, 2005, 01:11 AM

Originally Posted by Face Ache
^ Obsessive compulsive disorder can be cured too.
Shame these boards can't be eh

Spliffdaddy  (op)
Posting Junkie
Nov 15, 2005, 01:20 AM

We discussed the possibility that Jen needs a man.

Neither of us volunteered for the duty.

I like my women sane. And with red hair. And wearing a short skirt.

There's a possibility that I'm crazy, as well.

Could you imagine what sort of children me and Jen might have?

Crazy little wealthy redneck Republicans that tape things shut.

ThinkInsane
Moderator Emeritus
Nov 15, 2005, 01:21 AM

You need to notify the police if you think she is a danger to herself or others. Legally, they can take her for a psych eval, against her will if need be. She obviously needs some help, and the odds of you convincing her of that are pretty slim. And since you personally have no vested interest in this person (ie. she's not family nor friend, but a customer), you really need to disengage yourself and not get dragged into someone else's obvious psychosis (or TBI or whatever her problem is).

The county department of mental health can probably give you some good advice on how to proceed, but if you have serious concerns that this woman could potentially be a threat to herself or others, you need to call the cops and get things moving.
Nemo me impune lacesset

Eug Wanker
Posting Junkie
Location: Dangling something in the water… of the Arabian Sea
Nov 15, 2005, 01:21 AM

Sooo, it finally came to the point where we had to believe that Jen was crazy.
Took ya long enough.

Anyways, just mention her to the cops and that you're concerned about her.

Dark Helmet
Addicted to MacNN
Nov 15, 2005, 01:26 AM

Honestly she sounds schizophrenic

Cody Dawg
Addicted to MacNN
Nov 15, 2005, 01:27 AM

Honestly? You need to Baker Act her ass. Call the authorities and tell them that she is a paranoid schizophrenic and a danger to herself. Let the state take over the situation. It'll get her off your back, that's for sure.

That's some story, Spliffdaddy.

Spliffdaddy  (op)
Posting Junkie
Nov 15, 2005, 01:28 AM

Originally Posted by ThinkInsane
You need to notify the police if you think she is a danger to herself or others. Legally, they can take her for a psych eval, against her will if need be. She obviously needs some help, and the odds of you convincing her of that are pretty slim. And since you personally have no vested interest in this person (ie. she's not family nor friend, but a customer), you really need to disengage yourself and not get dragged into someone else's obvious psychosis (or TBI or whatever her problem is).

The county department of mental health can probably give you some good advice on how to proceed, but if you have serious concerns that this woman could potentially be a threat to herself or others, you need to call the cops and get things moving.

Yeah, I was leaning towards asking the police for help.

Other than the 'attic people' thingy, Jen acts perfectly normal. She doesn't seem violent - nor a danger to herself.

It's amazing that somebody can be so insane, yet they get along quite well in their daily life.

I kept expecting Jen to nudge me and start laughing - and say "Ha! I really had you going with the ol' attic people story."

Eug Wanker
Posting Junkie
Nov 15, 2005, 01:29 AM

Originally Posted by Dark Helmet
Honestly she sounds schizophrenic
Or at least suffering from some sort of delusional disorder. Judging by the post above she doesn't sound quite schizophrenic (yet).

Stradlater
Professional Poster
Nov 15, 2005, 01:33 AM

Sneak some friends into her attic and help her apprehend them.
"You rise," he said, "like Aurora."

cjrivera
Professional Poster
Nov 15, 2005, 01:50 AM

The problem is that even though she apparently does have a psychiatric disorder, the police will likely not do anything since she is not a threat to others or to herself. You can ask their advice or help, but unless there is evidence of such behavior, they likely won't be able to do anything.

To have a psych evaluation performed, the easiest way would be to have her talk to her doctor about what is going on. You can also suggest this to her or one of her family members and see if they could persuade her. It is a little easier if she has a medical power of attorney who acts on her best medical interests, who could have her evaluated.

The problem is if she neither has a POA or refuses treatment. Then you have to file a petition with the courts for an involuntary admission and it is up to them, again pending on whether she is a danger to herself or others. That's always the kicker. Patients have rights, and unfortunately in these cases, it is not for the government (the courts) to decide on treatments, or lack of treatments, for patients, unless they pose a danger to themselves or others due to the condition.

Try and can get her to cooperate with a medical evaluation voluntarily.
"It's weird the way 'finger puppets' sounds ok as a noun..."

cjrivera
Professional Poster
Nov 15, 2005, 01:51 AM

Originally Posted by Stradlater

Thanks a lot.

I just spit Diet Coke out of my nose and all over my monitor after that one.

"It's weird the way 'finger puppets' sounds ok as a noun..."

Spliffdaddy  (op)
Posting Junkie
Nov 15, 2005, 01:57 AM

I forgot to mention that her mother also believes people are living in Jen's attic. Her mother lives with Jen.

It might be that Jen's mother is trying to get her hands on Jen's money by playing along with the 'attic people' scenario. If she could get Jen locked up in a mental institution, she might be able to take control of Jen's money ($4million minus attorney fees).

Her mother was with her this evening when Jen came to the shop.

I'm not sure if the concrete truck incident damaged Jen's brain. She looks normal and there's no scars that I can see. Obviously, she's seen many doctors - and I'm guessing that her mental condition has been noticed by medical professionals before now.

I doubt that her mother is crazy enough to actually believe in 'attic people', so there has to be an ulterior motive.
( Last edited by Spliffdaddy; Nov 15, 2005 at 02:03 AM. )

SSharon
Professional Poster
Nov 15, 2005, 02:00 AM

Originally Posted by Stradlater
I was thinking along similar lines. Why not have her live in the attic?

Can you setup the cameras to broadcast to the web and make a new reality show with her talking to herself and searching for attic people?

There is obviously something wrong, so why not help the economy a bit. Suggest she hire a guard and have him stationed by the hatch.
AT&T iPhone 5S and 6; 13" MBP; MDD G4.

Spliffdaddy  (op)
Posting Junkie
Nov 15, 2005, 02:08 AM

Originally Posted by SSharon
I was thinking along similar lines. Why not have her live in the attic?

Can you setup the cameras to broadcast to the web and make a new reality show with her talking to herself and searching for attic people?

There is obviously something wrong, so why not help the economy a bit. Suggest she hire a guard and have him stationed by the hatch.
The DVR is network-enabled. The video can be viewed in realtime and even played back over the internet. I log-in from time to time just to make sure everything still works. No, I can't share the link.

There's no possible way to sneak into her attic. I explained the security measures. Even if she could 'find' a few of my friends living in her attic - she'd probably suspect there were *more* people up there. She's just that way. It would make things worse, I think.

Eug Wanker
Posting Junkie
Nov 15, 2005, 02:11 AM

Originally Posted by Spliffdaddy
I forgot to mention that her mother also believes people are living in Jen's attic. Her mother lives with Jen.

It might be that Jen's mother is trying to get her hands on Jen's money by playing along with the 'attic people' scenario. If she could get Jen locked up in a mental institution, she might be able to take control of Jen's money ($4million minus attorney fees).

Her mother was with her this evening when Jen came to the shop.

I'm not sure if the concrete truck incident damaged Jen's brain. She looks normal and there's no scars that I can see. Obviously, she's seen many doctors - and I'm guessing that her mental condition has been noticed by medical professionals before now.

I doubt that her mother is crazy enough to actually believe in 'attic people', so there has to be an ulterior motive.
Folie à deux

P.S. Isn't it a no-no to put accents in URLs?

nonhuman
Posting Junkie
Nov 15, 2005, 02:19 AM

Originally Posted by Eug Wanker
Folie à deux

Nope, URLs are all like unicodey now.

Spliffdaddy  (op)
Posting Junkie
Nov 15, 2005, 02:20 AM

omg, Eug

that's amazingly accurate.

This means that there are more than two loonies in the world?

How common is this?

marden
Baninated
Nov 15, 2005, 02:38 AM

Gladys Kravitz Club members alert!

Tend your own gardens before worrying about people who aren't hurting anyone.
Stop inflicting your hell on others in the name of 'help.' There's a thing called boundaries. Learn them. Respect them.

Dark Helmet
Addicted to MacNN
Nov 15, 2005, 02:39 AM

Folie à deux

"They believed that certain persons were entering their house, spreading dust and fluff and "wearing down their shoes".

OMG the same people have been in my house!!!!

Railroader
Banned
Nov 15, 2005, 03:08 AM

Tell her to buy a house without an attic. A cathedral ceiling constructed house on a solid poured cement slab. Oh, and SIP panels for walls so noone can hide in the walls to.

Seriously, call a local hospital and at least draw their attention to them. My brother-in-law is a clinical psychologist and part of his job is responding to these calls and determining if these people are a harm to themselves or others.

analogika
Posting Junkie
Nov 15, 2005, 03:49 AM

register them on something awful.

marden
Baninated
Nov 15, 2005, 04:10 AM

http://www.voiceofonecrying.com/mind...n_business.htm

Mind Your Own Business

Paul mentions busybodies again in I Timothy 5:13. Here you find one of his lists in which the first item leads to the second, which leads to the third, and so on. In this verse he warns against idlers, tattlers and busybodies. In fact what he says is, don’t be one of those who find themselves with too much time on their hands, because they’re not involved in anything spiritually productive (idlers). This will lead to being one who talks too much about things that don’t concern him (tattlers). Then, first thing they know, they’re going to find themselves more involved in the affairs of others than they are their own (busybodies).

To make the proper application, they become one who is more interested in the supposed spiritual condition of others than they are their own spiritual condition. And if you’ve read many of my articles, if they’re like most "Christians", they’re actually more concerned about the moral condition of others than they are their own moral condition, because morality is what their religion has taught them. They don’t know what true spirituality really is.

Warung
Mac Elite
Nov 15, 2005, 04:24 AM

Make her live in a tent.

Have you been touched by his noodly appendage?

PB2K
Mac Elite
Nov 15, 2005, 05:10 AM

or a bungalow

i live in a bungalow and i don't have attic people to worry about. i have mice though. at night they come out and eat my food, even when i lock it in a cupboard. they make tiny holes thru which they move around in our house. slowly i am losing ground, so i bought precoursions to make their lives difficult. i set traps. HA HA HA HAAAAAaaaaaaaaa
{Animated sigs are not allowed.}

moonmonkey
Professional Poster
Location: Australia, the greatest country in the world, (Australians keep telling me).
Nov 15, 2005, 05:13 AM

give her a gun and tell her to shoot them "backwards"

What she does after that is her own problem.

iLikebeer
Mac Elite
Nov 15, 2005, 05:26 AM

After that thread a few months ago where so many of you said you believe in ghosts or other paranormal stuff, I'm surprised you're all so quick to judge her as crazy. Maybe you could have ghosthunters come out and check the place out for her.

Of course, there is always the slight chance that she IS haunted by something or someone and it's been following her. Of course, I think she's obviously crazy.

I'm curious about another thing too, if she ends up being crazy or whatever, could she or her family come after you and your friend in civil court for selling her $400K+ of equipment and services? If she's mentally incompetent, do some areas have laws against taking advantage of the helpless? Protect yourself too, if necesary.

Randman
Posting Junkie
Nov 15, 2005, 05:50 AM

You can't help a crazy person unless you're a professional. You'll get involved in the situation.

This is a computer-generated message and needs no signature.

PB2K
Mac Elite
Nov 15, 2005, 05:59 AM

There was this woman at my desk last week, who explained she wanted an airport card in her ibook g3 clamshell. the woman looked kinda neglected, and was wearing girlsclothing.

she apologized for her ibook being so dirty. and man, i have never seen a computer that gross. it stank, was greasy, and had sand and hairs over it. she said she oozed a pot of pesto over it once, and brought it to the beach.

the airportcard didn't fit because of the dirt in the slot. ewww.

Doofy
Clinically Insane
Nov 15, 2005, 06:18 AM

After hearing that her mother believes exactly the same thing, I'm gonna go with "get an exorcism".

Even if there's no basis for the exorcism, having someone perform it may just jolt her subconscious into thinking that whatever was there is no longer there (i.e. there can't be people up there - they've been exorcised). And since it doesn't imply that she's crazy and points to a real problem, she's much more likely to agree to the procedure.
Been inclined to wander... off the beaten track.
That's where there's thunder... and the wind shouts back.

lurkalot
Mac Enthusiast
Nov 15, 2005, 06:32 AM

Originally Posted by moonmonkey
give her a gun and tell her to shoot them "backwards"

What she does after that is her own problem.
Even in jest that is not the kind of advise you want to give a mentally disturbed person. Not even on a message board. If for no other reason, it might become your problem.

http://forums.macnn.com/showthread.p...ht=thinkinsane

PB2K
Mac Elite
Nov 15, 2005, 06:43 AM

just be careful with crazy people.

they might appear funny but if they start focussing on you....

storer
Mac Elite
Nov 15, 2005, 06:59 AM

I honestly don't think there's that much that you can do. I don't think you could get into trouble for selling her the equipment either, considering she came to you and she was obviously very specific about what she wanted.

PB2K
Mac Elite
Nov 15, 2005, 07:26 AM

just a thought but, in the surveillance camera business, you probably deal with more paranoid people than this Jen.

analogika
Posting Junkie
Nov 15, 2005, 07:39 AM

Originally Posted by lurkalot
Even in jest that is not the kind of advise you want to give a mentally disturbed person. Not even on a message board. If for no other reason, it might become your problem.

http://forums.macnn.com/showthread.p...ht=thinkinsane
thus:
Originally Posted by analogika
register them on something awful.

Spliffdaddy  (op)
Posting Junkie
Nov 15, 2005, 08:36 AM

Originally Posted by PB2K
just a thought but, in the surveillance camera business, you probably deal with more paranoid people than this Jen.
You couldn't be more right.

Roughly 75% are wealthy paranoid people.

The rest are business owners.

PS to ilikebeer - Jen bought four thousand dollars worth of cameras - not 400 thousand.

Cody Dawg
Addicted to MacNN
Nov 15, 2005, 08:38 AM

The mother believes the same thing?

Okay. Something is a little ODD on Hysteria Lane with your desperate housewives, Spliff.

andi*pandi
Nov 15, 2005, 09:46 AM

I was going to suggest she get a house with no attic or basement too... but she'd likely start thinking they were in her closet or bathtub drain.

yipes!

Eug Wanker
Posting Junkie
Nov 15, 2005, 10:33 AM

omg, Eug

that's amazingly accurate.

This means that there are more than two loonies in the world?

How common is this?
Not very common, but I was just pointing out that (sh)it happens.

turtle777
Clinically Insane
Nov 15, 2005, 10:56 AM

Could you imagine what sort of children me and Jen might have?
Crazy little wealthy redneck Republicans that tape things shut.

-t

Kevin
Baninated
Nov 15, 2005, 11:26 AM

Originally Posted by Doofy
After hearing that her mother believes exactly the same thing, I'm gonna go with "get an exorcism".

Even if there's no basis for the exorcism, having someone perform it may just jolt her subconscious into thinking that whatever was there is no longer there (i.e. there can't be people up there - they've been exorcised). And since it doesn't imply that she's crazy and points to a real problem, she's much more likely to agree to the procedure.
It could very well be a "haunting"

ort888
Addicted to MacNN
Nov 15, 2005, 11:30 AM

What about the possibility that the attic people are indeed altering the data? Maybe they have gotten to your partner and he is altering the data. How well do you know this guy? Maybe you should set up some secret cameras to get a better idea of what is going on.

My sig is 1 pixel too big.

Doofy
Clinically Insane
Nov 15, 2005, 11:53 AM

Originally Posted by Kevin
It could very well be a "haunting"
Yep. Exorcism suggested for two reasons:

1) If it's really required, it'll do the job.

2) If it's not really required and they are actually both crazy, it'll still do the job (because they'll believe it's done the job).

Win/Win.
Been inclined to wander... off the beaten track.
That's where there's thunder... and the wind shouts back.

Cody Dawg
Addicted to MacNN
Nov 15, 2005, 12:13 PM

I think you should bring them your Extra Deluxe Tinfoil Hat Kit.

One for each of them.

Now who has THAT pic, KEVIN?

ThinkInsane
Moderator Emeritus
Nov 15, 2005, 12:50 PM

Folie à deux

I went to an excellent play called Bug Friday night about that very topic. If you see i playing in the Toronto area, don't miss it.
Nemo me impune lacesset

Eriamjh
Addicted to MacNN
Nov 15, 2005, 01:01 PM

The attic people told me I shouldn't reply to this thread.

I'm a bird. I am the 1% (of pets).

Forum Links
Forum Rules