Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > Vanguard: Saga of Heroes

Vanguard: Saga of Heroes
jamil5454
Mac Elite
Jan 26, 2007, 01:22 PM

http://www.vanguardsoh.com/

Anyone thinking of picking up this game when it comes out? I've been playing FFXI recently (WoW is just plain boring) and will try this out on January 31 when it's released. Supposedly it's a 20+ GB install which sucks if you have a small hard drive but also means there's tons of content. Either that or it just has super high-res textures. Who knows.

Anyway, I'm thinking this may be the next big MMORPG... but just as Apple is to Microsoft, I hope Vanguard will be to WoW. It just seems that when you get the masses involved things go to crap.

starman
Clinically Insane
Jan 26, 2007, 01:30 PM

You like FF XI over WoW? FF XI was a total piece of sh*t. Bad UI, bad players, bad geography, bad leveling. You find WoW boring? That boggles my mind. Hell, EQ1 or 2 is better than FF XI.

Anyway, yes I have a preorder for Vanguard. It's made by the same original EQ crew, but it's been getting bad reviews. Either way, I'm going to give it a shot.

Home - Twitter - Sig Wall-Retired - Flickr

jamil5454  (op)
Mac Elite
Jan 26, 2007, 02:00 PM

Ehhh, I don't want to get into an argument, but for some reason FFXI was much more immersive experience, and for me that's very important in any RPG. Casting a spell really felt like casting a spell, the mobs were challenging, it actually took skill and party cooperation to be productive, the quests were very creative,challenging, and different, and in general the game was more in-depth and seemed like more fun.

Mabye I was doing something wrong, but my experience in WoW largely went like this:

Sign in
Hit "L" to open up quest log
Finish quests for current area (usually consisted of "Oh no! The [insert non-unique mob here] have taken over the camp... you must kill blah blah or get blah items..."
Rinse, repeat

etc

If the graphics and animations were more realistic, I may have had more fun.

starman
Clinically Insane
Jan 26, 2007, 02:18 PM

Ok, here's my experience with FF XI:

Take 3 hours of your life to install the game with patches from the net (with a high-speed connection).
Create an account for whatever online server they used with the WORST UI I've seen in my life.
Create ANOTHER account for FF XI itself.

Watch cool intro.

Now you're FINALLY in Windhurst.

Struggle with the worst in-game UI on the f'n planet
Navigate your way through a city so large it has three zones.
Get some lame quest about killing bunnies.

What? You're running 1600x1200? Sorry, we'll be scaling your screenshots to 800x600 and throwing a copyright in the corner to boot.

Did I miss something?

Home - Twitter - Sig Wall-Retired - Flickr

jamil5454  (op)
Mac Elite
Jan 26, 2007, 03:00 PM

Originally Posted by starman View Post
Ok, here's my experience with FF XI:

Take 3 hours of your life to install the game with patches from the net (with a high-speed connection).
Create an account for whatever online server they used with the WORST UI I've seen in my life.
Create ANOTHER account for FF XI itself.

Watch cool intro.

Now you're FINALLY in Windhurst.

Struggle with the worst in-game UI on the f'n planet
Navigate your way through a city so large it has three zones.
Get some lame quest about killing bunnies.

What? You're running 1600x1200? Sorry, we'll be scaling your screenshots to 800x600 and throwing a copyright in the corner to boot.

Did I miss something?
I'l agree with you there about installing and patching the game. That takes FOREVER. However, the interface for me never got in the way. Once you get used to it and get accustomed to the game and how it works though it's very fun. WoW is extremely accessible and has a very short learning curve but I'm level 30 now after playing on and off since its release and I still don't feel the epic or legendary aspect of the game. "I don't buy it" so to speak. Also, I don't feel I am accomplishing anything because 1. I am playing solo almost all of the time, and 2. Everything is easy and simple.

But in the end, it really depends on the person and experience. FFXI was my first MMORPG and I was amazed at how huge the world was and everything there was to do so that might be skewing my view. Also, playing RPGs on consoles in my opinion is a much more enjoyable experience.

Well, if Vanguard plays anything like the videos and screenshots then I'm hopeful it will be good. It's kind of interesting... WoW players on the Vanguard forums were mostly saying they liked WoW more while older MMORPG players (UO, EQ, SWG, etc) who've also played WoW were saying how it's the best MMO they've played. I'm optimistic.

Chuckit
Clinically Insane
Jan 26, 2007, 03:19 PM

Originally Posted by jamil5454 View Post
Also, I don't feel I am accomplishing anything because 1. I am playing solo almost all of the time, and 2. Everything is easy and simple.
1. It's your choice to find a group or not. If you prefer not to, why would you complain that you're playing solo? I'd rather have that than the mandatory grouping of FFXI.

2. You're level 30. I don't know anyone who's said raiding Naxxramas is easy.

Personally, I'm more interested in WAR than anything from the guys who brought us the aptly named Everquest.
Chuck
___
"Instead of either 'multi-talented' or 'multitalented' use 'bisexual'."

jamil5454  (op)
Mac Elite
Jan 26, 2007, 08:07 PM

Originally Posted by Chuckit View Post
1. It's your choice to find a group or not. If you prefer not to, why would you complain that you're playing solo? I'd rather have that than the mandatory grouping of FFXI.

2. You're level 30. I don't know anyone who's said raiding Naxxramas is easy.

Personally, I'm more interested in WAR than anything from the guys who brought us the aptly named Everquest.
I guess the game is what you make of it, but to me the groups just weren't enjoyable. The game's lack of challenge kinda leads me to feel like just another number instead of an epic hero, but to each his own.

Vanguard didn't get amazing previews, but the latest news has been that they've fixed almost all the issues and the sheer amount of content of the game is what makes it look good.

Forum Links
Forum Rules