Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > I need to make an air conditioner for a tent. Yes, a tent!

I need to make an air conditioner for a tent. Yes, a tent!
alligator
Mac Elite
May 11, 2007, 09:06 PM

I'm going to be going camping during the hottest part of the summer here. I don't like hot weather (which is why I live in Minnesota). Camping is fine in the spring or fall, but I'm stuck camping in late July on this trip - which is not by choice. I'll be camping by my car, so I won't have to walk far.

(This is a sample wilderness photo to get you in the right mindset.)

Since I'm pretty handy with gadgets and electrical items, I thought I'd make a portable battery powered air conditioner. I was hoping you'd help me out. I want to make an a/c unit out of a 12 volt fan, Peltier cooler, and a 12 volt deep cycle marine battery. I have the battery already, but I'd have to buy the fan and Peltier cooler.

A Peltier cooler like this:

and a fan like this:

Anyone have any better ideas?

RAILhead
Addicted to MacNN
May 11, 2007, 09:10 PM

just hook up an oscillating fan to a battery.
"Everything's so clear to me now: I'm the keeper of the cheese and you're the lemon merchant. Get it? And he knows it.
That's why he's gonna kill us. So we got to beat it. Yeah. Before he let's loose the marmosets on us."
my bandmy web sitemy guitar effectsmy photosfacebookbrightpoint

chabig
Addicted to MacNN
May 11, 2007, 09:12 PM

Pitch your tent in the shade.

Face Ache
Addicted to MacNN
May 11, 2007, 09:45 PM

d4nth3m4n
Addicted to MacNN
May 11, 2007, 10:38 PM

you f'n pussy. man up.

seriously though, rig something that uses the frost from the propane canister of the grill and rock it that way. i had a propane refrigerator for most of my youth..

The Godfather
Addicted to MacNN
May 11, 2007, 11:36 PM

Peltier coolers are extremely inefficient compared to freon compression systems. Get yourself a mini refrigerator and use the guts to make your A/C.

Mithras
Professional Poster
May 12, 2007, 01:20 AM

Freeze a bunch of water bottles, keep them in a cooler, and take a couple with you to bed at night. Worked for me in the Amazon jungles of Peru

mdc
Addicted to MacNN
May 12, 2007, 06:29 AM

+

And one of these for when you go hiking.

mac128k-1984
Mac Elite
May 12, 2007, 06:51 AM

Dude suck it up, either stay in a motel/hotel or go camping.

An air conditioner for a tent - don't be such a wuss.
Michael

Spook E
Mac Enthusiast
May 12, 2007, 07:26 AM

Originally Posted by alligator View Post
I don't like hot weather

I'm stuck camping in late July on this trip - which is not by choice.

I'll be camping by my car, so I won't have to walk far.
That is so limp, you should just stay home in front of the computer

alligator  (op)
Mac Elite
May 12, 2007, 09:17 AM

Guys, relax. I've done this trip many times before in very hot weather. Last year it was 99 degrees the day before I left - and that's with high humidity. This year I decided to try to make it more enjoyable and I just happen to enjoy electronics.

I've got an idea about how to build it, I just wanted to see if there was a better idea. Ice wouldn't last because I will be gone too long. I'll let you know if it works.

mac128k-1984
Mac Elite
May 12, 2007, 09:47 AM

Well if you enjoy electronics stay in front of the computer as Spook E mentioned.

Camping is done to enjoy nature, not to enjoy electronics. There's a time and place for everything and having an air conditioner in a tent is not one of them. If it gets too hot, just sleep outside w/o a tent. I've done that before and its absolutely awesome - falling asleep under the stars. Nothing beats that.

Enjoy the beauty of being outside and not worry about using your electronics. It will be there when you get back from your trip
Michael

mduell
Posting Junkie
May 12, 2007, 10:23 AM

You're not going to achieve much. With the massive heat flux through the sides of the tent and a tiny little peltier run off a battery, you're not going to get a noticeable change.

If you want a real change, buy a window A/C unit and a generator, and take a lot of gas with you.

chabig
Addicted to MacNN
May 12, 2007, 10:38 AM

Originally Posted by alligator View Post
I'll let you know if it works.
Don't bother...it won't work.

Ghoser777
Professional Poster
May 12, 2007, 11:36 AM

Don't take any clothes with you either - I mean, if you're going to enjoy nature, you should go in the nude!

Ganesha
Senior User
May 12, 2007, 01:27 PM

If ice won't last long enough, what makes you think your battery will? Not that this will work, cause it won't.

Even if you had a real small AC unit, you would only be about to run it for a 2-3 hours off a large (13.2 V 55 AHr) battery assuming the battery could deliver such current without a degradation in vs 0.1 C performance. Since the efficiency Peltier is much less, you would only get tens of minutes of lifetime at the same cooling level. But since a Peltier can't pump nearly enough heat to overcome the heat flux going into your tent the entire point of how much power you have is moot.

Tenacious Dyl
Mac Enthusiast
May 12, 2007, 01:37 PM

I agree, the power consumption of effective cooling systems is just too steep, and the ones that you could power wouldn't do much good when your only insulation is ... a tent.

I'd just suggest a couple good fans and light clothes, get your tent positioned (if possible) so that some wind can blow through your front and back screens, the worst is coming back from a hike or river trip to find that your tent has just been stagnating for hours and has become an oven!

Hope you have fun!
yep.

chabig
Addicted to MacNN
May 12, 2007, 02:00 PM

You do realize that Peltier junctions don't "make" cold, don't you? Sure, one side gets cold, but the other side gets hot. And overall, you're putting out more heat than cold because energy from the battery is going out as heat.

CMYKid
Grizzled Veteran
May 12, 2007, 05:03 PM

..annnnnd in humid conditions you're gonna have some water to collect.

RAILhead
Addicted to MacNN
May 12, 2007, 05:41 PM

I can't wait to hear how all this pans out.
"Everything's so clear to me now: I'm the keeper of the cheese and you're the lemon merchant. Get it? And he knows it.
That's why he's gonna kill us. So we got to beat it. Yeah. Before he let's loose the marmosets on us."
my bandmy web sitemy guitar effectsmy photosfacebookbrightpoint

Railroader
Banned
May 12, 2007, 09:35 PM

I say you build one of those things Harrison Ford built in Mosquito Coast.

vmarks
Moderator Emeritus
May 12, 2007, 09:40 PM

A swamp cooler cools air by evaporation

A swamp cooler (more formally called an evaporative cooler) is essentially a large box-like frame containing a big fan and walled in by water-wetted pads, usually made of cedar shavings or cellulose. The fan whooshes the hot outside air through the dripping pads (which are continually soaked by a water pump), cooling the air by about 20 ºF as the air evaporates water molecules from the pads. The fan then blows the water-cooled air through the house and out a deliberate vent.

Use a windshield wiper moter (12v) to power your fan.

peeb
Addicted to MacNN
May 12, 2007, 09:41 PM

Swamp coolers can work well in tents.

CMYKid
Grizzled Veteran
May 12, 2007, 10:28 PM

Originally Posted by peeb View Post
Swamp coolers can work well in tents.

again with the water, but worse now because rather than condensing on the heatsink the waters gonna end up on you and the walls of the tent.

Tenacious Dyl
Mac Enthusiast
May 13, 2007, 01:57 AM

Whatever happens... please bring back some pictures

(The mental image of the swamp cooler turning the tent into more of a pool just got me laughing out loud)
yep.

Visnaut
Senior User
May 13, 2007, 02:28 AM

So if you're not going to be far from your car, why don't you just sleep in there with the AC on if it gets too hot?

Cipher13
May 13, 2007, 10:51 AM

I go camping quite a lot, sometimes in some pretty extreme environments (where during the day it can get up to 120 F), and it's impossible to sleep in past sunrise. I've found two solutions to this.

Firstly, don't go to sleep so late that you need to sleep past sunrise to be rejuvenated. That never works for me, but it does for others.

Alternatively, ditch the tent. Get a hammock kit - the kind that has an aluminium frame that can be dismantled, which suspends a "hammock" of sorts that is more like a small (one-person) hanging tent, with an opaque top, and screen around all four sides.

Kinda like this:

Stick your sleeping bag inside and you'll be warm enough, the screen keeps out mosquitoes, and when it starts to get hot, you've got the wind flowing straight through the tent cooling it.

itistoday
Professional Poster
May 13, 2007, 11:17 AM

I see nothing wrong with this idea. You can't "enjoy nature" if nature doesn't allow you to. That's like saying he should sit on an anthill with a sh*t-eating grin because ants are a "part of nature." If it's really so hot and humid as to make the nature trip unenjoyable, then more power to him for trying out innovative ideas to make it a worth-while experience. After all, if you were to really subscribe to that ridiculous idea (to avoid hypocrisy), then you'd best forgo the clothes on your back, that watch, the compass, the flashlight, and f*ck, the polyester tent as well.
( Last edited by itistoday; May 13, 2007 at 11:30 AM. )

Mithras
Professional Poster
May 13, 2007, 11:35 AM

Incidentally, with an adequate cooler, the ice can certainly last long enough. We keep sealed coolers with ice at least 2 weeks into a Colorado river trip, where it's over 100 every day.

ShortcutToMoncton
Addicted to MacNN
May 13, 2007, 04:10 PM

Originally Posted by mac128k-1984 View Post
Camping is done to enjoy nature, not to enjoy electronics. There's a time and place for everything and having an air conditioner in a tent is not one of them. If it gets too hot, just sleep outside w/o a tent. I've done that before and its absolutely awesome - falling asleep under the stars. Nothing beats that.
I agree with the sentiment, and I don't know where alligator lives, but you've obviously never slept outside anywhere where there are black flies or mosquitos. You'd be dead by morning.

greg
Mankind's only chance is to harness the power of stupid.

mac128k-1984
Mac Elite
May 13, 2007, 06:18 PM

Oh I have, but when I go camping, its usually after the black flies and I don't do the sleeping outside under the stars all of the time just for that reason
Michael

The Godfather
Addicted to MacNN
May 13, 2007, 08:19 PM

Do you live near a Walmart? If so, get this swamp cooler.
Sunpentown Evaporative Air Cooler - Wal-Mart

Forum Links
Forum Rules