Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Desktops > New DVD-Burner

New DVD-Burner
Nassifer
Forum Regular
Jan 20, 2008, 12:59 PM

Hello all again, I have a question about upgradeing my G4 PPC 733, I have an older DVD burner in it and want to upgrade it, do Ihave to buy a Mac specific drive or can I use any drive I know for PC's they are IDE, can I take the fast one outta my PC and put it in here ?

Also what about video cards, can we use the same as a PC if it is a PCI AGP ? or does it have to be PCI ?
Thanks

Abdulah
( Last edited by Nassifer; Jan 20, 2008 at 01:07 PM. )

sek929
Posting Junkie
Jan 20, 2008, 01:57 PM

Since we have the same machine I'll recommend what I bought for myself.

Pioneer DVR-109. I bought mine for a hundred bucks a few years ago so it should be cheaper now.

Tenacious Dyl
Mac Enthusiast
Jan 20, 2008, 03:08 PM

You do need a drive that your mac can support (they won't just take any random PC IDE drive unfortunately) but they do support many that aren't too expensive. You can get a good dual-layer DVD burner for your mac for about $25-35 new, the prices have come down a lot (but I've still never understood Apple's $99 premium for a 'superdrive' it is way too expensive).

Here are two from OWC that will work just great and are equal/better to the 109D mentioned above: SuperDrive Upgrades for Apple PowerMac G3, G4, G5; iMac G4; eMac G4; Mac Pro Tower - Read and Burn DVDs, DVD-DL, CDRW Fast! at OtherWorldComputing.com

You can find the same drives from other retailers for a little more or less, so its just a question of who you are comfortable ordering from! I hope this helped
yep.

Nassifer  (op)
Forum Regular
Jan 20, 2008, 03:27 PM

OK great, I will look around, now what about the video card issue ?

Abdulah

Tenacious Dyl
Mac Enthusiast
Jan 20, 2008, 05:38 PM

Abdullah,
With a G4 you can only use AGP video cards that are specifically made for mac use. You may have heard about PC video cards in Macs, but that works only though bootcamp which a G4 doesn't support. Some have been successful in buying PC video cards and "flashing" the ROM on the video card over to a mac version, but this is not usually a good idea, and while it can save a little money, you risk making the card useless permanently.

The best option, with the least risk, again is to just get a Mac AGP card. Any AGP card will work in your machine (except the newest ones labeled "G5 only"). If you have only 4x or even 2x AGP, an 8x card should still work, it just won't use the 8x bandwidth. You can find lots of mac video cards that are AGP on eBay and other retailers, like before, otherworld computing is probably the best bet for videocards for your computer.

Video Cards, Adapters & KVM Switches at OtherWorldComputing.com

The ATI Radeon 9800 Pro is the fastest that you can put in your computer, and as you can see they are a clean $200 (or more). I have this same video card in an older G4 Tower of mine, and it works quite well for its age. I might suggest though, before sinking a few hundred into a video card, some money into optical drive(s), and probably other upgrades down the line, that you consider the newer and cheaper lines of Mac computers. It might be cheaper, a better investment, and MANY times faster to just get the cheapest iMac that is currently being sold right now. My $0.02
yep.

Forum Links
Forum Rules