Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > Is your MacBook NOT cracked?

Is your MacBook NOT cracked? (Page 2)
chrisutley
Grizzled Veteran
Jan 30, 2008, 01:37 AM

My crack didn't appear until it hit 14-months old. I carry it around allot with the display open and one hand gripping it to the left or right of the trackpad. I think the pressure over the area might have caused the poorly supported ridge to crack after repeated stress. If you simulate what I'm describing you'll see instantly "get it"...

I don't think is has anything to do with how hard you close the display, unless of course you slam it down like a lunatic.
MacBook and iMac Core 2 Duo 24"

cinetic
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jan 30, 2008, 01:49 AM

January 2006 MB C2D, no cracks. I take it to school with me frequently, and the previous owner even dropped the computer. So I love not caring about the appearance of the external case as it came to me with scratches.

Ihatemymacbook
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jan 31, 2008, 01:55 PM

I would not buy a MacBook until or unless the defect has been officially recognized by Apple, and the defective macbooks are no longer being sold.

The macbook I purchased in Sept. 07 has cracked in 3 places.

Yes, I know. I can take it to Apple Store (80 miles roundtrip) and have defected "repaired", which I will - but keep in mind - many people have done this and then had the replaced case crack exactly the same way.

Apple keeps replacing cracked cases with other defective cases, until warranties run out.

vmarks
Moderator Emeritus
Feb 11, 2008, 01:38 PM

Macbook white, rev. A.

The top case (keyboard and palmrest) is fine.

The crack is on the left side of the bottom case, stemming from one of the screw holes. It looks to be spreading and will probably grow to reach the bottom edge of the battery bay.

crazy4notebooks
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Feb 11, 2008, 05:49 PM

no cracks...bought over a year ago!

Full-Auto
Forum Regular
Feb 12, 2008, 02:10 AM

Originally Posted by Simon View Post
Which incidentally also happens to be the area where most people experience cracks.

Note that the crack is exactly where the screen bezel rests on the top case.
I have the same cracks on mine.

jamil5454
Mac Elite
Feb 13, 2008, 11:47 AM

Add me to the list of people who's got a cracked Macbook. Mine's only 3 weeks old and cracked in the notorious location on the right side palm rest.

And I close my screen very gently... I believe it might have even had the crack out of the box, but I didn't notice it until yesterday. I'm taking it in this morning to get it repaired.

macbooksrcompletepish
Banned
Feb 14, 2008, 09:09 PM

I CAN GUARANTEE THAT CRAP MACBOOKS ARE STILL BEING SHIPPED OUT. I GOT MINE IN DECEMBER AND ITS FUKD. Im that mad, ive even joined this forum to vent my anger.

This macbook 13" is FLAWED! MAJORLY FLAWED.

Having been a pc user for 10 years and been suckered into this macs are better hype I invested in a macbook 13. Ive had it 9 weeks and its got this crack that just about everybody has, i know 4 people with macbooks and 75% of them have this crack problem where the lid splits the cheap crap plastic top casing. I like the thread title as its most appropriate.

After chatting to apple today they are very kindly going to replace the cover but on deeper thought, im just going to call them back tomorrow and demand my money back. This is just not good enough. All they are going to do is replace a junk piece of plastic with another junk piece of plastic and this heap will break again. Smaller companies have replaced a faulty product within 3 months of it breaking and i dont care about it being "cosmetic". 80% of my reasoning buying is cos they looked "book". Well it dont look so book now.

As i run my own pc repair business, unless i get a satisfactory response regarding this outrage, none of them will ever be encouraged to purchase a mac or any other apple product and this recent resurgence that they have been on will come to an abrupt end.

Long live the pc. At least its solid and not a flimsy piece of pish that looks good if you dont touch it, or close the lid or carry it about anywhere or fart near it.

sogbrightlight
Forum Regular
Feb 14, 2008, 09:25 PM

It's a casting flaw. It sucks. I just finally got around to calling for my box today. Hopefully they gin it up right and get it back to me.
Bla Bla Bla

The Ancient One
Mac Enthusiast
Feb 15, 2008, 12:53 PM

Original issue Macbooks - My daughter's is cracked, my wife's isn't. Make of it what you will.
The first commandment of ALL religions is to provide a comfortable living for the priesthood.

jlgrandam
Forum Regular
Feb 15, 2008, 06:10 PM

I know 5 people with macbooks and none have cracked. One was bought the first month they were out (this one did suffer the overheating problem but was fixed by Apple).
12.1" Powerbook G4

maxintosh
Mac Elite
Feb 18, 2008, 02:25 PM

Originally Posted by Simon View Post
Which incidentally also happens to be the area where most people experience cracks.

Note that the crack is exactly where the screen bezel rests on the top case.
Ditto, that's exactly where mine is cracked (on both sides of the trackpad.) 2006 original MacBook.

It went in once because the case was discolored (yellow) after a couple months.
It went in again when the hard drive crashed.
The battery failed after about a year.
Now it's kernel panicking when I plug in my headphones once in a while AND the case is cracked. Argh.

It makes me miss my Pismo. *That* was a solid laptop. Maybe I'll ask for it to be replaced under AppleCare.
( Last edited by maxintosh; Feb 18, 2008 at 02:46 PM. )

sogbrightlight
Forum Regular
Feb 19, 2008, 12:14 AM

DHL lost the box I was going to ship my laptop in. I'm scared to send it away now.
Bla Bla Bla

TheMosco
Mac Elite
Feb 19, 2008, 01:52 AM

I just noticed the crack today.

Someone asked me, "hey, how long have you had it?"
Me: "I got it december 06"
Them: "Do you have cracks on the palmrest?"
Me: "No... oh wait, yeah, my right palmrest is cracked at the base."

I never noticed it before, but its def going to come off soon. I am pretty hard on my laptop. I am in college and am usually away from my apartment from 8 AM to 11 PM and I ALWAYS have my laptop with me. I do have it in a nice case, but its not protecting against this.

I have applecare, so no worries....
AXP
ΔΣΦ

Christopera
Forum Regular
Feb 19, 2008, 10:22 AM

June '07 no cracks. I have invisishield and the lid literally leaves indents in the invisishield on the palm rests. I am hoping the invishield will provide enough enough cushion to prevent the cracking, but I do have applecare so I am not totally worried.

mario_capo
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Feb 21, 2008, 05:20 PM

I have the same crack as that picture, but only on the right side. Are you guys saying applecare will fix that?? if so i still won't send it in for a little crack. i dont want to be without my laptop for something like that. but its tempting. i want it to look good again. lol.

sogbrightlight
Forum Regular
Feb 22, 2008, 02:48 AM

Mine is no longer cracked. I sent it away and it came back to me in about one day. It was awesome. Now to decide which keyboard cover to get.
Bla Bla Bla

Simon
Posting Junkie
Feb 22, 2008, 05:11 AM

Some people have had theirs repaired at an Apple store within a few hours and didn't have to send it away. Check your local store, show them the cracked MB and ask them if they can do it on site. Maybe they can also order the top case part and have you bring in your MB when it arrives for a quick repair.
•

hedmisten
Feb 22, 2008, 03:51 PM

I do not have cracks on my whitebook. I bought an early 08 model so I'm hoping that the impurities in the casing have been found. I have already brought my macbook through rainstorms, on trips, in my jeep offroad, and everywhere. Neoprene cases are amazing.

hunter

machead717
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Feb 28, 2008, 02:33 PM

I've had my MacBook since July of 2006. It is the first version of them. It has only left my apartment 5 times including a week ago when it was sent to Apple for the repair of a crack on the palm rest exactly like the one in the video below. I am awaiting word on the status of the repair.

YouTube - MacBook CrackBook

mohammadz
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Feb 29, 2008, 05:16 PM

not cracked

just handle it with care!

doolally
Feb 29, 2008, 05:19 PM

White MacBook, bought Aug 9 07, just sold today: used 5 days a week, 6-8 hours a day, no cracks.
--
"What is it you see, in the horizon's bruised smear, that cannot be blotted out by your raised hand?"
www.thecrookedcrow.com

cgc
Professional Poster
Feb 29, 2008, 08:51 PM

A survey would be a better way to gather this data.

Mane
Fresh-Faced Recruit
May 12, 2008, 03:45 PM

I have the exact same problem.. but when it happened I was in Venezuela.. where the Apple Store doesn't exist.. so i just decided to super glue it back in I thought since i left it home alone one of my young cousins had mistreated my computer.. Now, I'm living in Florida but I'm wondering if that will cause apple to not fix my problem.. It is still in guarantee.. Now cracks are showing all around the computer not only in the bottom right corner.. but in the bottom left and on the top two sides as well.. I'm just hoping that they will.. my Macbook is falling apart..

Andhee
Mac Enthusiast
May 12, 2008, 03:48 PM

Mine cracked this weekend, but not in the place where it usually cracks, do you think I can get it replaced still? Its just in the dead corner of the palm rest, relatively near the usual place of cracking. Pretty gutted, I take care of my stuff aswell.
Macbook mid 2007: 2Gb Ram, Intel core 2 duo, 2.16GHz, 500Gb HDD, Snow Leopard 10.6.6
HTC HD7 (Windows Phone 7!)
iPod 5G 80GB
iPod Mini 4GB (Blue)

seanc
Moderator Emeritus
May 12, 2008, 05:50 PM

Mine was fine until I took it into Apple for warranty service (screen & logic board replacement), the screen bezel was cracked afterwards above the right screen latch and there seems to be one where it would close on the palm rest to match as well, although they argued that it's a 'scratch', either way, they were caused during service. They also managed to miss the fact that my backlight didn't work after they replaced the screen.

sogbrightlight
Forum Regular
May 12, 2008, 07:33 PM

yea I got my topcase replaced and it's starting to crack again. I replaced it a few months ago. These things are junk in my opinion. the parts that is.
Bla Bla Bla

Gamoe
Mac Elite
May 12, 2008, 09:47 PM

Got mine right after the November 2007 refresh. I don't even worry about scratches, since Apple seems to like making scratch-prone cases. But no cracks so far on my white MacBook. <cross fingers>

sogbrightlight
Forum Regular
May 12, 2008, 11:33 PM

seems like it's an inevitable issue
Bla Bla Bla

Wiskedjak
Posting Junkie
May 12, 2008, 11:45 PM

Starting to crack. 15 months in.

My 10 year old Tecra, on the other hand, is still in perfect condition ... even after 2 years of use by a 4-6 year old.

Brien
Professional Poster
May 13, 2008, 01:39 AM

Don't even get me started. I love my Blackbook, but it doesn't love me. Thank God for Applecare.

Bought it in June '06, case cracked (two spots) about 8 months in. Replaced, but now the case is starting to crack again. I've also had the battery replaced (twice), the charger replaced, and now Bluetooth no longer works. [/rant]

Nergol
Dedicated MacNNer
May 13, 2008, 03:52 AM

Not cracked, because I took my cracked MacBook in to the Apple Store and asked them to fix it, which they did happily and quickly.

Just in case you were wondering if the Apple Store will fix this if you take it in - they will.

P.S. If you want to take a stab at fixing it yourself, head down to your local model airplane store and pick up a bottle of the liquid cement plastic kits use. Not the old red Testors tube - but a bottle of the liquid stuff, like this:

(My favorite brand, BTW - Tamiya Extra-Thin).

Hold the cracked-off bit in place, then brush just the tiniest drop on the seam between the cracked-off bit and the case. Be careful - don't get any on your finger while you're holding it, or you'll melt a nice fingerprint into the plastic of your case. Anyhow, the stuff works great, and will hold the cracked-off bit right back in place.

(Written as I divide my time between my MacBook and a 1/72 scale A-4C Skyhawk)
( Last edited by Nergol; May 13, 2008 at 04:05 AM. )

mdc
Addicted to MacNN
May 13, 2008, 08:39 AM

This weekend I noticed that mine is now cracked on the right side, where the screen's feet touch.

I'll take it to the Apple Store this weekend.

Wiskedjak
Posting Junkie
May 13, 2008, 08:50 AM

Originally Posted by Brien View Post
Don't even get me started. I love my Blackbook, but it doesn't love me. Thank God for Applecare. [/rant]
I really dislike it when people are thankful for having to pay extra for the privilege of getting Apple to repair their design flaws. Repairs to design flaws should be handled regardless of the state of their warranty.

Full-Auto
Forum Regular
May 14, 2008, 12:30 AM

Originally Posted by Mane View Post
I have the exact same problem.. but when it happened I was in Venezuela.. where the Apple Store doesn't exist.. so i just decided to super glue it back in I thought since i left it home alone one of my young cousins had mistreated my computer.. Now, I'm living in Florida but I'm wondering if that will cause apple to not fix my problem.. It is still in guarantee.. Now cracks are showing all around the computer not only in the bottom right corner.. but in the bottom left and on the top two sides as well.. I'm just hoping that they will.. my Macbook is falling apart..
Well, if you super glued it back in you just screwed yourself if you ever want to get inside your laptop to fix something like a burned out Superdrive (which happens all the time). The thin top layer will easily break if you've glued it to your chassis and try to pull the two apart. Apple would have to pull the two apart to fix it, but now they won't be able too without trashing both the upper and lower half.

Using super glue on a Mac that you intend to warranty repair is generally a bad idea I would think.

Gamoe
Mac Elite
May 14, 2008, 03:44 AM

Originally Posted by Wiskedjak View Post
I really dislike it when people are thankful for having to pay extra for the privilege of getting Apple to repair their design flaws. Repairs to design flaws should be handled regardless of the state of their warranty.
I'm not sure it was meant entirely in that way, but I agree with your sentiment. Apple should be fixing design flaws free of charge. In fact, I find the whole idea of AppleCare contrary to the idea of building quality systems.

If you drop your Mac or have any kind of accident with your Mac that is your doing, that isn't covered under AppleCare. Only the kind of malfunctions which are not user error and should not occur on a relatively new system are covered. So, what confidence is that supposed to give me as a customer?

"Buy AppleCare-- You'll never know when we screwed up on quality control!"

I decided not to get AppleCare for my Mac, because I think I paid enough for it, and I was really breaking the bank if I did (it's not exactly cheap, either). I'm pretty handy with computer surgery and replacing parts anyway. But in spite of recommending Macs to everyone, I haven't been immensely pleased with the build quality of late, and the fact that it takes class-action lawsuits for Apple to even acknowledge and rightfully compensate affected users.

Macola
Mac Elite
May 14, 2008, 05:47 PM

First-generation white MacBook, CD 2.0, purchased when it was released. Not cracked, but I've had the superdrive replaced and battery replaced.

I tend to agree about AppleCare. However, every Apple laptop I've owned since my Wallstreet has had problems develop after a year, so I ended up buying AppleCare for my MacBook.
I do not like those green links and spam.
I do not like them, Sam I am.

andylaiphoto
Fresh-Faced Recruit
May 15, 2008, 02:43 AM

Mine was cracked a little bit after I bought mine. They fixed it and have not had any issues since....knock on wood.

Brien
Professional Poster
May 15, 2008, 02:56 AM

Originally Posted by Macola View Post
First-generation white MacBook, CD 2.0, purchased when it was released. Not cracked, but I've had the superdrive replaced and battery replaced.

I tend to agree about AppleCare. However, every Apple laptop I've owned since my Wallstreet has had problems develop after a year, so I ended up buying AppleCare for my MacBook.
While I agree that you should've HAVE to pay for Applecare, I've had problems with both my previous laptops past the one-year mark as well, which is exactly why I broke down and bought it this time around.

Chinasaur
Senior User
May 18, 2008, 04:29 PM

No cracks... C2D MacBook, 2.0Ghz... unknown manufacture date. Bought used from friend.
iMac - Late 2015 iMac, 32GB RAM
MacBook - 2010 MacBook, 1TB SSD, 16GB RAM

nonhuman
Posting Junkie
May 18, 2008, 04:34 PM

First gen, no cracks no problems. This MacBook has replaced my old Pismo as my favorite Mac ever.

Chinasaur
Senior User
May 22, 2008, 01:03 PM

Spoke too soon..just found a split in usual place on right side above power light. Ugh
iMac - Late 2015 iMac, 32GB RAM
MacBook - 2010 MacBook, 1TB SSD, 16GB RAM

seanc
Moderator Emeritus
May 22, 2008, 01:13 PM

Originally Posted by Chinasaur View Post
Spoke too soon..just found a split in usual place on right side above power light. Ugh
That's where mine is, it's not too bad, I can manipulate it so it's definitely a crack. I need to wait for it to break now...

hatim
Forum Regular
May 25, 2008, 03:00 PM

Originally Posted by hatim View Post
May 2006: 2 cracks.
same!

BoingoBongo
Dedicated MacNNer
May 25, 2008, 08:24 PM

I have a Feb 07 white MB. It's not cracked, but I can tell it's getting ready to crack on the right side. There's a nice little indent going, and I'm thinking it wont be much longer before it cracks.

@pplejaxkz
Senior User
May 25, 2008, 08:29 PM

Until last week I had no cracks, but now I have the infamous cracks the everyone seems to have on both sides of the trackpads. It's just a eyesore of a sight, so I plan on buying a hard-shell case for my Macbook..argh

brettcamp
Mac Enthusiast
May 26, 2008, 07:09 PM

Mine's only 3 months old, black, no cracks, but it's rumored that the next MacBooks will be aluminum, so you might wanna wait and see....

Forum Links
Forum Rules