Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Developer Center > Need Java / Python help for Predictive Market Project

Need Java / Python help for Predictive Market Project
Tenacious Dyl
Mac Enthusiast
Mar 3, 2008, 03:01 AM

Hey everyone,
A friend and I started a project here at the University of Michigan in which we produced a Predictions Market that can be accessed via our server, and will hopefully eventually be deployed both to private companies, and as a form of a public type game or research tool.

As some similar prediction market tools go, the idea is that each user starts with a given amount of "play money". They may then purchase "stocks" in ideas, concepts, and decisions that they believe will happen or have good results. The result is a quite accurate poll that helps provide much better information about the topic of the stock.

We have a rough version of the server up, it is written in java, and running off of our own server running Ubuntu. It can be accessed here:
Create Account

We are currently using the Zocalo (Open Source) code, and will be updating and reworking it as necessary (mostly better features in bidding and buying stocks and the GUI itself).

Funding and available payments for software engineers that join us are in the works currently, right now I'm mainly looking for those interested in such a project, that have enough knowledge of Java that they would be comfortable with such a job, and ideally enough knowledge of Python that we (with them) could help re-write the code at a later date to be in Python.

Those interested, or with questions or suggestions can contact me here or at:
[email protected]

Thanks!
yep.

WillSpeck
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Mar 4, 2008, 12:44 PM

Hi - I thought you might be interested in the Financial Times Prediction Market game. We just re-launched the game with leagues. Would love your feedback. The link is The Prediction Market Game from the FT. You can email me at [email protected]. Thanks and good luck with your PM!

Forum Links
Forum Rules