Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > macOS > Best Strategy to Migrate Stuff after Clean Install

Best Strategy to Migrate Stuff after Clean Install
ghporter
Administrator
Dec 21, 2009, 11:20 PM

I replaced the hard drive in my MBP. There's something "odd" about what's on the original drive that keeps me from being able to use Disk Utility to clone it, so I did a clean install of Snow Leopard on the new drive. What's the best strategy to migrate my data and selected apps without getting a bunch of excess stuff transferred, and without winding up with unwanted extra user accounts on the new drive?

Glenn -----OTR/L, MOT, Tx

Hal Itosis
Grizzled Veteran
Dec 21, 2009, 11:42 PM

IMO, the best results in terms of the user accounts for a clean-install scenario is to migrate all user accounts on that very first boot. I.e., right after installing from the DVD, during the initial boot from the HD, we are asked if we want to migrate stuff from an old Mac. If we do it then, it all works. If instead we create some new account, log in and then try to migrate users... well, it's not quite as straightforward when done that way.
-HI-

Simon
Posting Junkie
Dec 22, 2009, 04:03 AM

1) Install new OS X
2) When the installer asks if you want to migrate, do it (don't wait till later)
3) Keep the old disk around and don't touch it. It'll serve as an additional backup and as a safety in case something wasn't migrated

ghporter  (op)
Administrator
Dec 22, 2009, 08:06 AM

OK, I think that makes a lot of what happened when I migrated my wife's iBook stuff to her MacBook stuff make sense.

I think when I get a few minutes I'll reinstall SL on the MBP and have the old disk handy... Will the installer be able to see a USB-connected drive? Will I have to connect the drive at any particular time, or is it OK to connect it just when the installer asks to migrate accounts?

Simon
Posting Junkie
Dec 22, 2009, 10:10 AM

Originally Posted by ghporter View Post
Will the installer be able to see a USB-connected drive?
Sure.

Will I have to connect the drive at any particular time, or is it OK to connect it just when the installer asks to migrate accounts?
MA will tell you when to connect the drive. But in principle you can do it whenever you want.

ghporter  (op)
Administrator
Dec 22, 2009, 08:10 PM

Cool. Thanks for the help.

ghporter  (op)
Administrator
Dec 22, 2009, 10:54 PM

I'm doing an erase and install right now. Should be easy now that I know (at least more about) what I'm doing.

Simon
Posting Junkie
Dec 23, 2009, 02:45 AM

Sounds good. Keep us posted.

ghporter  (op)
Administrator
Dec 23, 2009, 09:13 AM

It worked great, though it took some time-about half as long as the erase-install took. So far all looks great, but I haven't had time to play around with it. The overall process worked nicely.

I hope to have time to post about the upgrade and how easy it actually was.

Atheist
Mac Elite
Dec 23, 2009, 09:33 AM

When upgrading from one version of the OS to the next (or if I have to do a complete reinstall for some reason) I take it as an opportunity to do housecleaning. I back up everything, do an erase and install, and then manually copy over each application as needed. I use MobileMe Sync to restore my bookmarks, keychains, etc. To preserve an apps settings and data just make sure to copy the associated files from ~/Library/Application Support and ~/Library/Preferences. Some applications also store data in /Library.

I suppose one might find this approach tedious but it works for me.

Forum Links
Forum Rules