Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Gaming > Is 3DS worth getting now that it's cheaper?

Is 3DS worth getting now that it's cheaper?
ajprice
Professional Poster
Aug 15, 2011, 02:40 AM

It's had the price cut now down to $170 / £150. Anyone got one or thinking about it more now?

It'll be much easier if you just comply.

angelmb
Addicted to MacNN
Aug 15, 2011, 03:04 AM

Worth getting once Super Mario 3D Land becomes available, that means November.

ibook_steve
Aug 15, 2011, 11:57 AM

I love my 3DS despite the current drought of games. The 3D doesn't bother me at all. I have 3 games right now: SSIV (awesome), Pilotwings (OK, not as good as the Pilotwings games of days gone by), and Zelda (double awesome; I played that last over 12 years ago, so it seems almost like a new game for me).

I hope the 3DS doesn't go the route of the Virtual Boy, but I have one of those too! (Grabbed it and a bunch of games on heavy discount just before it was discontinued!)

Steve
Celebrating 10 years and 4000 posts on MacNN!

Jawbone54
Posting Junkie
Aug 16, 2011, 11:33 AM

Not personally.

The 3DS offers too similar of an experience to iOS. It's more versatile as a gaming platform because of the actual buttons, but it's still not impressing me. The lack of games and my hatred of 3D doesn't help.

Meanwhile, the Vita will have dual analog sticks, which makes it the instant portable choice for sports and shooters, but I'm not 100% convinced I need a mobile platform that does all of that.

Big Mac
Clinically Insane
Aug 16, 2011, 11:52 AM

My brother, who is into video games and Nintendo like I've always been into computing and Apple, just got a 3DS last weekend. He had been waiting for the price drop he had anticipated since launch. Moreover, Fry's was running a sale with the reduced price plus a $30 gift card, which made it almost a steal considering the original price of the GameBoy in 1989 was something like $189. I was even considering getting one myself but chose not to.

We're both impressed with it. The 3D really works well, and the 3D cameras are neat too. I really like Street Fighter on it because I've always been used to reduced feature fighters on portable systems, but this is a fully featured port. The other launch titles are spotty, but hopefully the price cut will give the platform a shot in the arm. My brother also pointed out that with the PSV delayed a year, Nintendo can really capitalize this holiday season.

"The natural progress of things is for liberty to yield and government to gain ground." TJ

Sosa
Senior User
Aug 19, 2011, 02:35 PM

I'm just wondering though why you guys would choose to buy a 3ds instead of a iPod Touch for gaming. I've noticed that the iPod Touch games are significantly cheaper than Nintendo games. Now sure you miss playing old favorites, but isn't the iPod touch a better value? I have an 11 year old who has the DS lite and iPod touch and he wants to sell the DS. I've found that prices for Nintendo games on their online store are rather high compared to the App store.
2011 iMac 2.7 i5, 16gb RAM, 1TB HD
Previous Macs: Apple IIc+, iMac 350 G3, iBook 700 G3, G4 Powerbooks 12" 1ghz & 15" 1.67ghz
Join Team MacNN.

ibook_steve
Aug 19, 2011, 09:05 PM

Originally Posted by Sosa View Post
I'm just wondering though why you guys would choose to buy a 3ds instead of a iPod Touch for gaming. I've noticed that the iPod Touch games are significantly cheaper than Nintendo games. Now sure you miss playing old favorites, but isn't the iPod touch a better value? I have an 11 year old who has the DS lite and iPod touch and he wants to sell the DS. I've found that prices for Nintendo games on their online store are rather high compared to the App store.
I have both. There is no Mario on iPod Touch. There is no Zelda on iPod Touch. There is no Metroid on iPod Touch. And none of these and many others will ever be on iPod Touch. iPhone and iPod Touch gaming to me is all about the "pick up and play" (G-d I hate that every game app description in iTunes uses that phrase) for a little bit. You can't get immersed in an experience. I'm going through Ocarina of Time in 3D now and absolutely loving it even though I played in on my N64 13 years ago! That will never happen on my iPod.

I don't know what games your 11 year old is playing but if he really wants to sell his DS, just wait until you hear the complaints about the other kids who have a 3DS or a Vita playing Mario or LittleBigPlanet and he's stuck with Angry Birds (not that that or Cut the Rope or the others are bad; I just don't find them immersive at all).

Steve
Celebrating 10 years and 4000 posts on MacNN!

Forum Links
Forum Rules