Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > News > Tech News > Report: Apple Watch can protect users' data, but lacks Activation Lock

Report: Apple Watch can protect users' data, but lacks Activation Lock
NewsPoster
MacNN Staff
May 14, 2015, 10:10 AM

While the Apple Watch contains a number of security features designed to protect users' data in the event of theft or misplacement, it lacks an "Activation Lock" type feature as seen on the iPhone (and more recently, other smartphones), which makes the device more attractive to thieves, according to a new report. Although Apple is likely to add additional security features to the device moving forward, at present a thief could reset the device and pair it to a new iPhone easily.

Users would point out that as the Apple Watch normally sits on the wrist, it is somewhat harder to abscond with than an iPhone, which frequently gets put down somewhere and not picked up again immediately. However, the Apple Watch can also be taken off for recharging or to avoid prolonged exposure to water, creating a theft risk. The distinctive design of the device makes it highly recognizable to muggers or burglars as well.

Once obtained, the Apple Watch's original data is protected from prying eyes with the use of a passcode, but the fact that the device can easily be reset and re-paired to another iPhone makes the device much more attractive to thieves due to its ability to be resold, according to iDownloadBlog. The site suggests that Apple implement a required input of the last paired Apple ID information before allowing the watch to be un-paired so that it can be paired with another device, something that is presently lacking.

daqman
Forum Regular
May 14, 2015, 05:34 PM

"The site suggests that Apple implement a required..."
How about "implements the OPTION of a required..."? I hope this doesn't lead to another knee-jerk poorly implemented Apple reaction to security criticism. An example is the two factor authentication of the AppleID. The current situation is that it is either on or off. I DO want two factor protection of anything that costs me money, so App store and iTunes purchases, credit card info etc. What I don't want is for my iPhone to be required when want to use iCloud via a web browser. That's because using iCloud via a web browser is EXACTLY what I want to do when I don't have my phone with me.

I can imagine several scenarios where I don't want an iPhone or iWatch to be locked, for example when I'm at home in the safety of my own house with it strapped to my wrist. Surely it would be fairly simple to add a "trusted location" feature where, if the device is in my home or office and strapped to my wrist it is assumed to be secure?
Beware of geeks bearing Gifs

Forum Links
Forum Rules