Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > iBook Rumors

iBook Rumors (Page 4)
kcmac
Mac Elite
Jan 3, 2003, 06:42 PM

Yeah, Sean, that is what I thought.

It would be interesting if every piece of OS X software that was "optimized" for AltiVec was labeled as such. This could be pretty revealing.

I think it would show us what we already know. There ain't that much and most of us have machines that are already fast enough.

It really is about having the bleeding edge and trying to keep up with software that seems for the most part to get bigger, more complex and slower requiring more MHZ, etc.

I think it would be awesome that when this new 970 comes out if a new measurement could be coined to describe its speed. Something really incredibly high sounding incredibly fast.

Who cares if it ain't right. The buying public will only see that big number. I digress....

Just give me the fastest G3 possible and who cares if it sounds faster than the G4's on the market. That is the point, and it probably for the most part will be.

Eug
Clinically Insane
Jan 3, 2003, 06:44 PM

Originally posted by iomatic:
Eug, thanks for your input. I think you missed my point.

It's sort of irrelevant what's outdated technology-wise, if it serves its purpose, then it's useful. I'm not going to simply replace something because it's "outdated". If I did that, I'd be broke. If the G3 is crippled as you say, then what does it matter, if I haven't lost any money in my investment...if I bought a PowerBook G4, I would NOT have gotten my work done any faster to the extent it would make any financial difference. And I'd still be trying to pay it off!

A G4 is purely name/status-driven, as far as I'm concerned; OF COURSE, if I did Gaussian blurs and rotates all day in Photoshop, I'd make my money back, but what designer does...I don't know. I'm also more likely (meaning, always) to throw my (very light) iBook in my bag and bring some computing power with me, than I did when I had my eggshell-like PowerBook.

Hey, to each their own, but yes, Apple needs to catch up on the (purely-marketing-driven) megahertz wars with the x86 crowd, in terms of perception.
-$.02
The G4 in OS X is Snappier (TM) than a G3 at the same MHz, although I must admit that Jag and Radeon 7500s have removed much of the differences.

More importantly, a G3 cannot run certain basic software at ALL, such as iDVD. Thus a G3 certainly isn't an ideal platform for the "digital hub". I think Apple is chomping at the bits waiting for the day that they can release a consumer line laptop that can edit DV footage and make simple DVDs. Right now, with current iBooks, this is extremely difficult and requires 3rd party software, much of which can be very expensive.

It's not as if miniDV camcorder owners are all professionals in need of a TiBook. Most are just people shooting vacations and babies throwing up.

Jasoco
Mac Elite
Jan 3, 2003, 06:54 PM

G3 is outdated. Must be destroyed. Long live G4!

icruise
Moderator Emeritus
Jan 3, 2003, 07:17 PM

I've often wondered how much iDVD (and the MPEG2 encoder for Quicktime as well) really "require" a G4 processor. Apple has made it so they do not function without a G4, but that doesn't mean that encoding MPEG2 video is impossible on a G3, just that Apple doesn't want to let you do it. There are some third party applications that allow encoding on a G3. I think it certainly does take much longer with a G3, but I wonder how a G3 with a very high clockspeed would do -- say a 1ghz or higher (if they existed).

In any case it is just a hypothetical thing since Apple's software doesn't support the G3, but it is frustrating to me personally. The only thing that I do that requires a G4 is MPEG2 encoding, but it keeps me from considering an iBook as a replacement to my current system. I might still get one and just use the G4 equipped Pismo for encoding purposes and as a file-server (it seems to be doing that most of the time anyway) but Eug is right that the iBook as it is can't quite fulfill the Digital Hub roll that Apple seems to want to create for its computers.

Nick Ahlfs
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jan 3, 2003, 07:39 PM

When I was deciding which laptop to buy -- iBook or PowerBook -- I came upon the rumors posted by Sean about the new PowerBook, in another MacNN forum. His predictions, if anything, were conservative...so let's stop the bashing.

When the new ones came out, I decided on the iBook, even though I figured that in 3 or 4 months it would be replaced by a newer (probably G4) model. Why not tibook? Too flimsy, too easily chipped, too delicate. I wanted a computer I wouldn't have to baby...that would be a working partner for my desktopG4.

I think Apple will maintain this difference in a new iBook: a rugged, good-looking piece of industrial design at an affordable price. The argument about using Photoshop, Dreamweaver, etc. to me is almost laughable. I wouldn't think of going back to a 15" screen to do tabloid-page layout and design! A tiBook is powerful enough certainly, but you'd have to add another screen for serious work.

Eug
Clinically Insane
Jan 3, 2003, 07:39 PM

Originally posted by Icruise:
I've often wondered how much iDVD (and the MPEG2 encoder for Quicktime as well) really "require" a G4 processor. Apple has made it so they do not function without a G4, but that doesn't mean that encoding MPEG2 video is impossible on a G3, just that Apple doesn't want to let you do it. There are some third party applications that allow encoding on a G3. I think it certainly does take much longer with a G3, but I wonder how a G3 with a very high clockspeed would do -- say a 1ghz or higher (if they existed).

In any case it is just a hypothetical thing since Apple's software doesn't support the G3, but it is frustrating to me personally. The only thing that I do that requires a G4 is MPEG2 encoding, but it keeps me from considering an iBook as a replacement to my current system. I might still get one and just use the G4 equipped Pismo for encoding purposes and as a file-server (it seems to be doing that most of the time anyway) but Eug is right that the iBook as it is can't quite fulfill the Digital Hub roll that Apple seems to want to create for its computers.
I have encoded MPEG-2 on a G3 600 iBook using non-Apple software, and I can tell you it takes just about forever. On a G4 1 GHz TiBook it still ain't fast (at least compared to what people report with 3 GHz Pentium 4s) but it's at least tolerable.

icruise
Moderator Emeritus
Jan 3, 2003, 08:15 PM

Eug -- Just curious, but how long does it generally take to encode, say, an hour of video to MPEG2 using a 3ghz pentium 4? I heard someone in another thread say that the 1ghz Tibook took about 1 hour and 10 minutes to do 1 hour of video.

seanyepez  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 4, 2003, 12:32 AM

Icruise, it all depends on the quality and the encoder you're using.

Hey guys, Apple's security/legal department has become aware of my posting of information that might be construed as libel, slander, or misinformation on the MacNN bulletin boards. Fearing for my legal safety and the legal safety of my family, I have decided to not contribute to "rumor" discussions anymore.

I may still post educated guesses based upon logic and history, but the "rumor" mongering stops here. Information pertaining to future releases of Apple products, even if inaccurate, should not be available on a public discussion board.

It's been fun! Perhaps I might see some of you at Macworld.

CheesePuff
Professional Poster
Jan 4, 2003, 12:42 AM

Originally posted by seanyepez:

Hey guys, Apple's security/legal department has become aware of my posting of information that might be construed as libel, slander, or misinformation on the MacNN bulletin boards. Fearing for my legal safety and the legal safety of my family, I have decided to not contribute to "rumor" discussions anymore.

I may still post educated guesses based upon logic and history, but the "rumor" mongering stops here. Information pertaining to future releases of Apple products, even if inaccurate, should not be available on a public discussion board.

Wanna make a bet about new iBooks coming out next week?

Hozie
Dedicated MacNNer
Jan 4, 2003, 07:58 AM

"Hey guys, Apple's security/legal department has become aware of my posting of information that might be construed as libel, slander, or misinformation on the MacNN bulletin boards. Fearing for my legal safety and the legal safety of my family, I have decided to not contribute to "rumor" discussions anymore.

I may still post educated guesses based upon logic and history, but the "rumor" mongering stops here. Information pertaining to future releases of Apple products, even if inaccurate, should not be available on a public discussion board."

Hmmmm.... That, I don't understand. Unless you're under NDA, in which case you shouldn't be telling us any of this, there's nothing Apple can do about you posting any information whatsoever. I mean, even if a reseller came on these boards and posted that iMac inventory levels are at an all-time low, they couldn't do anything about it. It's a free coutry, for cryin' out loud. This is not the same as that contractor who was shut up and sued for his prototype-motherboard-on-ebay leak, as he was BOUND not to share any information.

As for libel or or slander, how can that hold if you're clearly stating that these are rumors? Anyway, I encourage you not to be intimidated by those vultures....

Troll
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 4, 2003, 09:44 AM

What do you mean by "legal safety"? Have you received a letter from Apple, a phone call? I think what you say is more dangeous for your sources than it is for you. It's not hard for them to find out where the info about the PowerBook (to the extent that it was accurate) leaked out of. One good way would be to tell a few select people something crazy (like G4 iBooks are coming out at MWSF) and then see if that news got out ... and then fire their asses for breach of NDA and/or sue them!

Despite the fact that you're a minor, I can't see any danger for your family. Let us know why you're scared and we can maybe help.

Quadra
Jan 4, 2003, 10:05 AM

Newsflash......

No hardware updates at MWSF.

Apple is sitting on plenty of inventory, enough for a few months. Possibly upgrades coming in Feburary or more likely June (incredmentals not withstanding).

This MWSF will be about introducing software issues, a possible air-port upgrade, and this is interesting "an apple-osx- integrated browser".

There will be new things on the horizon, just not yet.

wallinbl
Professional Poster
Jan 4, 2003, 10:18 AM

Originally posted by Quadra:
Newsflash......
Apple is sitting on plenty of inventory, enough for a few months.
Then lower the prices!

Hozie
Dedicated MacNNer
Jan 4, 2003, 10:52 AM

About Airport: I predict Airport 2 base + cards including bluetooth. Sounds logical, doesn't it? Time will tell.

Dave Hagan
Dedicated MacNNer
Jan 4, 2003, 11:40 AM

Apple's security/legal department has become aware of my posting of information that might be construed as libel, slander, or misinformation on the MacNN bulletin boards.
Did you get an email letter, or what?
Dave Hagan | Apple Certified Technical Coordinator | iMac G5 1.9GHz | PowerBook G4 1.5GHz | Power Mac G4 933 MHz

CheesePuff
Professional Poster
Jan 4, 2003, 12:36 PM

Newsflash......

No hardware updates at MWSF.

Apple is sitting on plenty of inventory, enough for a few months. Possibly upgrades coming in Feburary or more likely June (incredmentals not withstanding).

This MWSF will be about introducing software issues, a possible air-port upgrade, and this is interesting "an apple-osx- integrated browser".

There will be new things on the horizon, just not yet.

That's just taken from Think Secret.

Quadra
Jan 4, 2003, 02:10 PM

Yep they are reporting it too.

So are others in the "prediction" biz.....

But also got a bud at the local Mac Store....there have been no product info sheets distributed (usually several weeks before product intros). I've collected them over the years (PM 6100/7100, ibook etc)

again, no hardware....software only.....

it will be a yawner....

superfula
Senior User
Jan 4, 2003, 10:37 PM

Since most places (read all) get their stuff from thinksecret, your prediction is nothing short of genius.

I am rooting for the new ibook models. Hopefully Sean is right on.

Quadra
Jan 5, 2003, 01:10 AM

I doubt forbes magazine and CNet depend on "rumor" mags for cutting edge reporting. But I'll take their sources over "board-sources" any day.

It doesn't take "genius", just read the news.

Again, no new hardware....bank on it.

iDaver
Grizzled Veteran
Jan 5, 2003, 01:52 AM

I've wasted a lot of time in the past few days reading the various Mac news and rumor sites as well as forums like this one. I'm as curious as the next guy what will be on the agenda next Tuesday. It sure sounds like Mac upgrades are unlikely, from what I've read. I would expect price drops on current hardware if there's nothing new, otherwise the MacWorld keynote will seem kind of pointless. Sure, software upgrades deserve announcements but that's not what Mac fans tune in for.

Seems like there just has to be something else coming at the expo. If not new computers, then the long-awaited new digital device, whatever that might be. Maybe Sean's right and there's a new high-end iBook with a G4 and a SuperDrive in the pipe. I doubt it.

superfula
Senior User
Jan 5, 2003, 02:29 AM

I doubt forbes magazine and CNet depend on "rumor" mags for cutting edge reporting. But I'll take their sources over "board-sources" any day.

It doesn't take "genius", just read the news.

Again, no new hardware....bank on it.
Actually I'd bet they do depend on the Apple rumor sites.

I know it doesn't take a genius. You failed to see the sarcasm I guess.

icruise
Moderator Emeritus
Jan 5, 2003, 06:22 AM

In my experience CNET and Forbes have been pretty accurate when reporting this kind of this (much more so than any rumor site). Which interests me greatly, since Forbes is apparently predicting a video enabled iPod -- something that I would have dismissed out of hand from any other source.

MikeD
Mac Elite
Jan 5, 2003, 09:54 PM

All this predicting!! Does this kind of stuff go on for PC vendors?? Or are "their" items too boring to want to even predict. I mean c'mon. We're all excited because Apple may surprise us with something groundbreaking or really innovative. Whereas on the PC end... well I don't know... Do people get all excited for Dells announcements etc?

wallinbl
Professional Poster
Jan 5, 2003, 11:55 PM

Originally posted by MikeD:
All this predicting!! Does this kind of stuff go on for PC vendors?? Or are "their" items too boring to want to even predict. I mean c'mon. We're all excited because Apple may surprise us with something groundbreaking or really innovative. Whereas on the PC end... well I don't know... Do people get all excited for Dells announcements etc?
No, because Dell releases information to the press as soon as they have it. They were talking about the Axim (their new PDA) for months before it came out. Every other company in the world does it this way.

Jasoco
Mac Elite
Jan 6, 2003, 12:38 AM

I like how Apple does this. Don't tell us about something until Expos. It builds suspense. I love Suspense.....

...My friend on the other hand hates how Apple holds the info back for months at a time. Would you rather Apple says, "Ok, boys. We have PowerMac G5's... But you have to wait 9 more months for them. Sorry, we wanted to tell you later on but you asked for it."

aharon
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jan 6, 2003, 01:46 AM

I just don't know about the credibility of sean, I've read through this whole thread (I rarely post) and it all seems very sketchy to me. Sure, they are just rumors. I take all rumors with a grain of salt, but it is true that Sean has "backtracked" or contradicted himself on several points. Saying at one point, "A Superdrive will be available" and another time "Don't expect it."

Then again, it is convenient to simply say, "A Superdrive will be available." Because that doesn't mean anything.

I'm not flamming, I just feel that there is some validity to people calling him out.

But back to the issue, if a new iBook is released, I'd be happy. Heck, I'd be happy with anything other than SJ talking about how wonderful OS X is for 2 hours. Yes, Steve, it is wonderful, now whip out that i-something. Let's innovate our way out of this keynote.

seanyepez  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 6, 2003, 02:00 AM

It doesn't matter any longer.

kcmac
Mac Elite
Jan 6, 2003, 02:04 AM

Good to see you back Sean. Hope everything is allright.

Troll
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 6, 2003, 06:21 AM

I have decided to not contribute to "rumor" discussions anymore.
Somehow, I think we'll see you back here soon!
Originally posted by seanyepez on 10-21-2002 03:30 AM:
It's best to be left out of the rumor mill. It sucks.
Originally posted by seanyepez on 10-22-2002 08:36 AM:
It totally irks me to all hell when people begin to speculate on a machine that's not even out yet.
Originally posted by seanyepez on 10-23-2002 03:08 AM:
Again, I'd like to reiterate that I'm not normally a rumor monger. In hindsight, I wish I didn't get involved in this.
Originally posted by seanyepez on 11-13-2002 05:09 AM:
I do not believe it is right to get prospective buyers riled up about a new release this early. It is not only bad for Apple, but bad for them because they're going to become apprehensive about plopping money down for something they obviously need or want and will enjoy.
Originally posted by seanyepez on : 01-03-2003 02:59 AM:
This will be the last time I will post what I hear regarding future releases. I just take too much crap for sticking my head out for you all.
( Last edited by Troll; Jan 6, 2003 at 10:18 AM. )

nelliott
Forum Regular
Jan 6, 2003, 10:28 AM

seanyepez  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 6, 2003, 02:53 PM

These are my final predictions for the show.

I'm inclined to believe that the iMac will be updated. The iPod will likely be updated. I think a new tablet's coming out. The iBook so wildly talked about is probably the tablet.

I'm also inclined to believe that these are the only hardware releases that'll happen at the show.

Rendezvous support Steve Jobs discussed at Macworld New York will most likely be announced at the show.

See you guys there.

Anand
Mac Enthusiast
Jan 6, 2003, 06:15 PM

Hey people, I got news for you. Sean is right. I was right before and he is right now. Deal with it and enjoy the show.
Yes, I know I could buy a PC, but why?

MikeD
Mac Elite
Jan 6, 2003, 06:42 PM

I'm also inclined to believe that these are the only hardware releases that'll happen at the show.
Only!? That seemed to be a lot!! Compared to the the long demos of OS X we're used to at least. I mean c'mon, when was the last time we heard, "And one more thing...". Anyway, less than a day away and we'll all be talking about it again here on macnn! Hope something great comes out.. and if not.. heh. whatever.. Then we'll all complain and whine and talk about how we're switching to Dell haha JK.

See everyone on the boards tomorrow!

seanyepez  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 6, 2003, 07:52 PM

Originally posted by MikeD:
Only!? That seemed to be a lot!! Compared to the the long demos of OS X we're used to at least. I mean c'mon, when was the last time we heard, "And one more thing...". Anyway, less than a day away and we'll all be talking about it again here on macnn! Hope something great comes out.. and if not.. heh. whatever.. Then we'll all complain and whine and talk about how we're switching to Dell haha JK.

See everyone on the boards tomorrow!
I know it's a lot of hardware. I'm merely stating that those are the only things I believe are going to be announced at the show.

kcmac
Mac Elite
Jan 6, 2003, 11:19 PM

Believe is the word!

Mac Zealot
Professional Poster
Jan 7, 2003, 12:16 AM

ThinkSecret is wrong.
Oh yes. Mark my word people, ThinkSecret is very wrong.

Thiss will be the biggest mistake they've ever made.

And I guarantee it.
In a realm beyond site, the sky shines gold, not blue, there the Triforce's might makes mortal dreams come true.

nelliott
Forum Regular
Jan 7, 2003, 10:41 AM

These are my final predictions for the show.

I'm inclined to believe that the iMac will be updated. The iPod will likely be updated. I think a new tablet's coming out. The iBook so wildly talked about is probably the tablet.

Rendezvous support Steve Jobs discussed at Macworld New York will most likely be announced at the show.

See you guys there.
Thats a bit of a turnaround from saying there will be an iBook with G4 and superdrive isn't it??

icruise
Moderator Emeritus
Jan 7, 2003, 10:53 AM

Originally posted by Mac Zealot:
Oh yes. Mark my word people, ThinkSecret is very wrong.

Thiss will be the biggest mistake they've ever made.

And I guarantee it.
And how do you know this?

wallinbl
Professional Poster
Jan 7, 2003, 11:12 AM

Originally posted by nelliott:
Thats a bit of a turnaround from saying there will be an iBook with G4 and superdrive isn't it??
It's beginning to look like it might just be an iBook sized PowerBook.

satchmo
Dedicated MacNNer
Jan 7, 2003, 11:21 AM

Hey Sean...way to cover all your bases eh? Are you starting to doubt yourself?

New iBooks are coming out at MWSF in January of 2003. The new iBooks will feature a new enclosure. They're supposately extremely sweet machines. The person I talked to about the new iBook declined to say whether it was a G3 or a G4, but I'm inclined to believe that they will be 600- and 733-megahertz G4's.

to

iBooks may be unveiled in February

to

Troll
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 7, 2003, 11:59 AM

[Tongue planted firmly in cheek]!!

I don't post much in the iBook forum but I am well-resepcted in the Dildo's forum where I predicted the release of the iTool. I have been told by a very reliable source that on January 7, Apple will release the iEnema - basically a Tablet only slightly bigger (since it will have a Superdrive). This the last time I am going to say anything about iEnema because Apple has threatened to persecute my brother's friend's girlfriend's sister's cat (when I told the Dildo forum about the iTool, Apple threatened to run over my Auntie's dog and someone sure as nuts recked 'im) ...

... except I would like to say (contrary to my own will since I'm still bummed about the dog) that my source told me that iEnema may definitely maybe actually be a desktop in which case it will certainly make you smile although it will absolutely probably not have the vibrate function built in, but as I said, I'm not going to get involved in these rumours ...

... except to say that, as I was or was not saying before, my source told me that 100% possibly the iEnema is not all it is cracked up to be and that Apple could definitely conceivably release something completely different. Anyone who tells you otherwise is most probably absolutely definitively perhaps wrong and I will be right and you shall all respect me as they do in the Dildo's forum.

icruise
Moderator Emeritus
Jan 7, 2003, 01:04 PM

the iEnema is not all it is cracked up to be
Was that an intentional pun?

Troll
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 7, 2003, 01:16 PM

( Last edited by Troll; Jan 7, 2003 at 02:01 PM. )

iDaver
Grizzled Veteran
Jan 7, 2003, 09:18 PM

Sean, it's too bad you waffled so much in the last few days before the expo. Otherwise I'd say, you da man!

Eug
Clinically Insane
Jan 7, 2003, 09:58 PM

Originally posted by iDaver:
Sean, it's too bad you waffled so much in the last few days before the expo. Otherwise I'd say, you da man!
I agree. I was wrong to have doubted your suspicions. You da man!

Too bad this didn't appear in November. I might have considered the 12" AluBook instead of the 15" TiBook.

bleee
Mac Enthusiast
Jan 7, 2003, 10:06 PM

so I guess you were wrong about the iBook upgrades?

iDaver
Grizzled Veteran
Jan 7, 2003, 10:34 PM

Originally posted by bleee:
so I guess you were wrong about the iBook upgrades?
Uh, well bleee, for all intents and purposes the new 12" PowerBook is a new iBook, with G4 and available SuperDrive. Apple just chose to call it a PowerBook.

I hope we've heard the last of the whining from those who have wanted a G4 processor in an iBook. It's here.

iDaver
Grizzled Veteran
Jan 7, 2003, 10:41 PM

double post

CaseCom
Professional Poster
Jan 8, 2003, 02:42 AM

Originally posted by scottiB on 12-26-02:
Perhaps Sean's new 'book is an iBook SE or a smaller TiBook--not replacing the current 'books, but in addition to...???
scottiB, if I were in Detroit I'd buy ya a beer.

the_OM
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jan 8, 2003, 04:02 AM

how can people call the new 12' powerbook the a new ibook, i would have thought that the name alone would have told everyone that its not an ibook. i mean ibooks are mean't to be the low-end range of apples portables, whereas the 12' powerbook is still way more expensive than the 12' ibook. i mean c'mon its just not an ibook.

i still reckon that we'll see a ibook running on a 1ghz g3 in about five months or so.

Forum Links
Forum Rules