Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > MWSF 2002 is going to be very interesting!

MWSF 2002 is going to be very interesting!
seanyepez
Addicted to MacNN
Dec 25, 2002, 05:48 AM

( Last edited by seanyepez; Dec 25, 2002 at 04:15 PM. )

sworthy
Mac Elite
Dec 25, 2002, 05:53 AM

odd that they would update that huge after the recent updates and all... oh well, I guess time will tell. Who else besides me will be in SF for the event?

seanyepez  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Dec 25, 2002, 05:55 AM

I don't think I'm going to do media coverage for the event this year. I did in January of 2002 and in June of 2002, but I need to be in class. It's the beginning of my second semester at Bellarmine.

hippy
Banned
Dec 25, 2002, 06:01 AM

Thats a real kick in the teeth for anyone who bought the latest revision ! 2 months ago!

Well done apple...

seanyepez  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Dec 25, 2002, 06:02 AM

It's interesting, isn't it?

hippy
Banned
Dec 25, 2002, 08:19 AM

there is going to be alot of pissed off iBook users...

Apple is just screwing people if they update there products in that manner...

...and yes before anyone says it I do know technology moves quickly, but it would make the recent iBook upgrade completly pointless...

MilesWho
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Dec 25, 2002, 03:44 PM

Sean - Thanks for the info. If this pans out, it will be very interesting indeed. Not sure if anyone mentioned this yet, but rather than using a G4, isn't it more likely Apple will use the "Gobi" chip that Think Secret mentioned last week?

Also, Sean, I know that you recently purchased a new Powerbook...so do these whisperings of a laptop upgrade make you nervous? I am awaiting my first Mac since my Performa 6300CD (I, too, purchased a 1 gig sd). I have been in the market for a laptop since June, so when the Powerbook update surpassed everyone's expectations, I thought for sure that would be the last upgrade for a while. Are you at all upset about this? Nervous? I'm not too pleased, but happy the rumors are about an ibook and not the powerbook. But still, I may leave my box unopened until the keynote (if that's not an exercise in will, I don't know what is!).

Finally, my book was shipped from Taiwan yesterday. Anyone have an idea when I might expect it at my door?

Cheers,
Jason

seanyepez  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Dec 25, 2002, 03:50 PM

I'm in the process of returning my second defective unit. My first one seemed alright, but it had a hinge problem that destroyed the LCD. My second one has a bleached out spot on the screen. Since I bought it with a credit card, they're going to let me take it back.

I don't want a PowerBook anymore. They're too delicate for my purposes. I figure I have enough power at home from my PC desktops and what I really need is something I can use and toss in my bag without much consideration. The PowerBook is simply too impractical for taking notes in high school.

That said, I'm not going to buy anything before Macworld. There might be a PowerBook update, but I haven't heard anything about it. It's a bit soon for them to update considering they just updated the enclosure with new fans and bumped performance significantly with gigahertz-class CPU's and the RADEON 9000.

seanyepez  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Dec 25, 2002, 03:52 PM

My machine took three or four days from its ship date to arrive.

I don't think there's going to be a PowerBook update. You're safe.

As I said in my post in the iBook forum, I don't know what's going on with the CPU. That's an interesting piece of information. If IBM does have a 900-megahertz chip in production, we might see that in the new iBook instead.

uberden
Forum Regular
Dec 25, 2002, 03:57 PM

MWSF 2002 is going to be very interesting!
I think MWSF 2003 will be more interesting. You can read all about MWSF 2002 already.

seanyepez  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Dec 25, 2002, 04:14 PM

Originally posted by uberden:
I think MWSF 2003 will be more interesting. You can read all about MWSF 2002 already.
Good point.

Vanquish
Dec 25, 2002, 06:23 PM

mmm, me is doubting about buying my PowerBook tomorrow are you sure the PowerBooks wont be updated ? because that would be a shame, an update after 2 weeks.

RMXO
Grizzled Veteran
Dec 25, 2002, 06:27 PM

Originally posted by Vanquish:
mmm, me is doubting about buying my PowerBook tomorrow are you sure the PowerBooks wont be updated ? because that would be a shame, an update after 2 weeks.
no need to doubt. if u need the laptop now then get it. if u can wait til after MWSF then wait....
MacBook Pro 15" Unibody | iPhone 16GB 3G

seanyepez  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Dec 25, 2002, 06:42 PM

The PowerBook is the only product I'd feel safe buying.

oeyvind
Senior User
Dec 26, 2002, 02:57 AM

Originally posted by seanyepez:
better think AGAIN! I don't think so!

silverghost
Dedicated MacNNer
Dec 26, 2002, 03:04 AM

im in the market for a laptop, and now news "of updated hardware" pops up. i know get the machine that you need and you'll be happy but sheesh if apple updates the powerbook line again im gonna pull my hair out.

aloha
"In my madness my eyes are now open"

issa
Mac Enthusiast
Dec 26, 2002, 03:48 AM

Just to add counterpoint, I'll speak up as one who bought a new 1GHz PowerBook a little over a month ago and couldn't care less what Apple may (but won't) announce at MWSF next month. Nothing they could announce in such a narrow time frame would steal away from the great working environment the GigaBook has brought me. So, as others have written, there is no reason to wait if you're in the market today. Besides, MWSF has not been the venue for new PowerBook announcements in years.

The sky is not falling.

cambro
Senior User
Dec 26, 2002, 11:05 AM

Originally posted by issa:
Just to add counterpoint, I'll speak up as one who bought a new 1GHz PowerBook a little over a month ago and couldn't care less what Apple may (but won't) announce at MWSF next month. Nothing they could announce in such a narrow time frame would steal away from the great working environment the GigaBook has brought me. ...
Well said! It's funny, people complain about rapid updates from Apple, people complain about performance gaps between Macs and PCs. I say get the updates out and don't worry about bothering the people who just bought a new machine. What about all those people comparing Macs to PCs or thinking about getting a Mac? Should Apple hold back better hardware just to be "nice" to recent buyers? Yeah right! I love my new Ti and I hope it is outdated sooner than later so that my next one a couple years down the road will be that much better! Bring it on!

wallinbl
Professional Poster
Dec 26, 2002, 11:16 AM

Originally posted by cambro:
Well said! It's funny, people complain about rapid updates from Apple, people complain about performance gaps between Macs and PCs. I say get the updates out and don't worry about bothering the people who just bought a new machine. What about all those people comparing Macs to PCs or thinking about getting a Mac? Should Apple hold back better hardware just to be "nice" to recent buyers? Yeah right! I love my new Ti and I hope it is outdated sooner than later so that my next one a couple years down the road will be that much better! Bring it on!
Yes, but surely you can see why people get disappointed. I bought a G4 550 PowerBook with a DVD drive. At the time I bought, it was DVD or CDRW. I debated much, because I wanted both. Eleven days after I bought it, they came out with the Combo drive model. I found that frustrating.

The case with the 1GHz SuperDrive users is a little different. Those things came out and people rushed to buy them because they loved the features. The ones that have been lucky enough to have received them love their purchase. It shouldn't bother them to see an update.

seanyepez  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Dec 26, 2002, 06:21 PM

You can be frustrated, but your frustration doesn't justify Apple's wiating to release new hardware. You should be frustrated. It doesn't mean that Apple should hold back, though.

Socially Awkward Solo
Professional Poster
Dec 26, 2002, 06:37 PM

Since when did Apple refresh it products every 3 months?

You people are going to be very disapointed at MWSF.

"Laugh it up, fuzz ball!"

craigthomas
Mac Enthusiast
Dec 26, 2002, 08:52 PM

The next PowerBook will be very different. I know two souces claiming a radical change in the line. This is as reliable as you can expect. Do not expect them at MW.

BTW: I knew this before I ordered my SDTi in November. Part of me is worried about the new design. The current Ti is very simple, clean and elegant.

cliff
Dec 26, 2002, 09:26 PM

If anyone does decide to order a new PowerBook beforehand, I woulld be very suprised that it ships before MWSF. Apple has delayed my order until the 10th for some mysterious reason. hmmm

mikerally
Senior User
Dec 27, 2002, 12:11 PM

<all comments withdrawn>
( Last edited by mikerally; Dec 29, 2002 at 08:15 AM. )

John123
Grizzled Veteran
Dec 27, 2002, 12:55 PM

Originally posted by mikerally:
Apple are going to release a brand new 15 inch Flat panel iMac with a G4 Processor and Superdrive at Macworld San Fransisco 2002 - if you want to know.

Trust my sources
What source is that -- your magic 8 ball?

We had a SuperDrive *last* year and all indications are that Apple (wisely) wishes to phase out 15" displays.

So, ummm.....try again.

legionare
Dedicated MacNNer
Dec 27, 2002, 01:01 PM

Originally posted by cliff:
If anyone does decide to order a new PowerBook beforehand, I woulld be very suprised that it ships before MWSF. Apple has delayed my order until the 10th for some mysterious reason. hmmm
Let me take a wild guess. In the order of likeliness (most to least), I think the new PowerBook rev will get:

1) Bluetooth <-- meh, I don't care...
2) 802.11g/802.11b combo AirPort card <-- nice, but I still stick with my graphite ABS for a while...
3) 80gb IBM hard drive (fastest), 60gb Toshiba/Fujitsu (faster/fast) <-- nice, but 80gigger's availability is a question...

issa
Mac Enthusiast
Dec 27, 2002, 01:13 PM

We had a SuperDrive *last* year and all indications are that Apple (wisely) wishes to phase out 15" displays.
Guess that's why he wrote "at Macworld San Fransisco 2002".

John123
Grizzled Veteran
Dec 27, 2002, 03:01 PM

Guess that's why he wrote "at Macworld San Fransisco 2002".
Yeah and he also wrote "Apple are going to release," which bad grammar aside implies the future tense.

Besides, what would be the point of his post anyway if he weren't trying to prognosticate?
( Last edited by John123; Dec 27, 2002 at 03:24 PM. )

[APi]TheMan
Mac Elite
Dec 27, 2002, 03:22 PM

Originally posted by seanyepez:
I'm with oeyvind, I wouldn't buy any new Apple stuff until after MWSF 2003.

I'm a freshman in college without a job so money doesn't come easy to me... I need to make sure I'm investing my money wisely.
"In Nomine Patris, Et Fili, Et Spiritus Sancti"

Leia's Right Bun
Banned
Dec 27, 2002, 04:10 PM

CHRIST PEOPLE! Apple just came out with new powerbooks 3 months ago! Why couldn't they add bluetooth then?! Why do they think they need to update them again?!!!

John123
Grizzled Veteran
Dec 27, 2002, 04:14 PM

Originally posted by Leia's Right Bun:
CHRIST PEOPLE! Apple just came out with new powerbooks 3 months ago! Why couldn't they add bluetooth then?! Why do they think they need to update them again?!!!
If it's just a BT upgrade, who really cares? I for one don't even use it, and for those who do, the DLink adapter works and is not that big.

issa
Mac Enthusiast
Dec 27, 2002, 10:56 PM

For those who like to worry... here's some fodder for ya, based on the areas that some would care to see immediate improvements and looking at the technically somewhat-possible things an incremental update (that isn't going to happen) *might* include...[list=1][*] Built-in Bluetooth[*]Faster CD writing from the Combo Drive[*] Faster DVD writing from the SuperDrive[*]New 0.13 micron 7457 G4 that runs cooler[/list=1]
And here's what not to worry about, but would be a whole lot of fun...[list=A][*]Nitrogen cooling that allows the fans to be eliminated[*]Caffeine powered fuel cell (battery) that charges itself simply by spilling a little coffee or Coca-Cola� on the keyboard once every day or two[/list=A]
If you're worried, take heart in the fact that you'll know the answer in about 10 days. And if not, enjoy the experience and improved productivity now.
( Last edited by issa; Dec 27, 2002 at 11:33 PM. )

issa
Mac Enthusiast
Dec 27, 2002, 11:16 PM

John123 writes:
Besides, what would be the point of his post anyway if he weren't trying to prognosticate?
Well, since you ask, I think it was an attempt at humour. I'm not saying it was funny and had no intention to defend him or highlight your misreading. Sorry if it bothered you. Call it British humour that was lost on you, if you prefer. Or insert a cheap drum roll after it. But I don't see where he was trying to prognosticate.

seanyepez  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Dec 27, 2002, 11:23 PM

I believe a single corporation is referred to as plural in British English.

lokjah
Dedicated MacNNer
Dec 27, 2002, 11:37 PM

what about the ipod, ive heard alot of speculation as to new models coming up.

l�k
iron sharpens iron

issa
Mac Enthusiast
Dec 27, 2002, 11:57 PM

I believe a single corporation is referred to as plural in British English.
Yes, in some cases British grammar does treat collective nouns as plural, especially when referring to specific parties within that collective.
Heaven help us all if we start attacking grammar usage as a method of striking out at a forum member, require all members to use one nation's rules of grammar, or become unforgiving of typos and grammatical errors that occur when writing in little boxes on the "Post Reply" pages of web sites.

seanyepez  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Dec 28, 2002, 12:32 AM

Originally posted by lokjah:
what about the ipod, ive heard alot of speculation as to new models coming up.

l�k
Well, I've heard about a digital hub device that has to do with telephony, and Toshiba's out with 30-gigabyte hard drives that fit the iPod. I don't know if there will be an update, though.

mrtew
Professional Poster
Dec 28, 2002, 12:42 AM

Heaven help us all if we start attacking grammar usage as a method of striking out at a forum member,.....
"if we start"???? That's a tradition around here! :-]

I love the U.S., but we need some time apart.

issa
Mac Enthusiast
Dec 28, 2002, 12:53 AM

mrtew sets the record straight:
"if we start"???? That's a tradition around here! :-]
I stand corrected.

SwarmyCurve
Grizzled Veteran
Dec 28, 2002, 01:23 AM

I'm awaiting iPod information. Hopefully, a new model or price cut will be announced. I would think this will happen since the celebrity iPod offer ends the 8th...

If MacWorld wasn't so close, I would have bought an existing model over this Xmas break.

mikerally
Senior User
Dec 28, 2002, 08:36 PM

<all comments withdrawn>
( Last edited by mikerally; Dec 29, 2002 at 08:14 AM. )

John123
Grizzled Veteran
Dec 29, 2002, 02:15 AM

John, despite how you misinterpret what people say on the board, it doesn't give you the excuse to be rude.

I'm sorry that you didn't understand that what I said was infact a joke - a piece of sarcasim - do you really think I was serious?

The phrase Apple "are going to to release" does imply future tense - but guess what? So does the title of this thread "MWSF 2002 *is going* to be very interesting!" imply future tense.

Hence the sarcasim, or do I have to explain what that is to you too?

P.S. The phrase "Apple are" is correct - considering Apple is a collective of people - Apple isn't one person.
(1) I don't think my original response was rude. The magic 8 ball reference was humorous -- that's *real* humor, and far more humorous than your comment.

(2) You're wrong on your grammar. Apple, like any other corporation or entity, is a collective noun. It therefore requires the use of the singular version of verbs. You don't say, "The team are going to play today." Check your grammar books. And while you are defending your grammar, "sarcasm" is spelled that way, not "sarcasim." You made the same mistake twice, so it certainly doesn't look like a simple typo.
( Last edited by John123; Dec 29, 2002 at 04:48 AM. )

mrtew
Professional Poster
Dec 29, 2002, 02:21 AM

P.S. The phrase "Apple are" is correct - considering Apple is a collective of people - Apple isn't one person.

Only if you are in England! "Apple are my favorite corporation" sounds absurd to the American ear, but I read that kind of stuff in my English car magazines all the time. Corporations are definently singular over here. Why did you just say "Apple are" is correct and then say "Apple is" and "Apple isn't" later in the very same sentence anyway? Don't you mean "Apple are a collective of people - Apple aren't one person."?

I for one, thought your joke about the iMac coming out in 2002 was funny though, even before I saw the typo in the thread's subject line.
( Last edited by mrtew; Dec 29, 2002 at 02:39 AM. )

I love the U.S., but we need some time apart.

mikerally
Senior User
Dec 29, 2002, 08:13 AM

Sigh...

There are to be no exhibitions this year.
Maybe we can meet you at one of the 2003 venues.
Watch this space for details.
This year Harrods are offering : -
http://www.commonscents.org.uk/Estee.htm

Harrods are in effect assisting illegal settlement expansion through subsidising the settler economy.
http://www.palestinemonitor.org/Acti...selfridges.htm

Harrods are in effect assisting illegal settlement.
http://www.geocities.com/SelfridgesU...rrodsShock.htm

Finally, these are all UK websites - and if you check my info - I come from the UK.

But if you want to continue calling me a fool because I come from a country that has slightly different grammar and spelling, and want to insist that I should spell and write everything in American English, then go ahead.
( Last edited by mikerally; Dec 29, 2002 at 09:13 AM. )

CheesePuff
Professional Poster
Dec 29, 2002, 12:49 PM

I don't understand while you are all mad at Apple. I recently had to buy a Dell 8200 with a 2.0 GHz P4, and one month later I could have bought the same system for the same price, but with their newer Dell 17" LCD (the one I got was thick and uglier looking) and with a 2.53 GHz processor.

John123
Grizzled Veteran
Dec 29, 2002, 03:39 PM

Sigh...

http://www.commonscents.org.uk/Estee.htm

http://www.palestinemonitor.org/Acti...selfridges.htm

http://www.geocities.com/SelfridgesU...rrodsShock.htm

Finally, these are all UK websites - and if you check my info - I come from the UK.

But if you want to continue calling me a fool because I come from a country that has slightly different grammar and spelling, and want to insist that I should spell and write everything in American English, then go ahead.
Double-sigh...

From your own Palestine Monitor web site:
"We have just discovered that Harrods is also stocking the goods from the occupied territories."

mikerally
Senior User
Dec 29, 2002, 04:41 PM

Look we can argue until the cows come home on this point - but just like other people that have already said in this thread, British people infact *DO* refer to companies and even sports teams in *BOTH* plural and singular - I'm sure to you guys it sounds silly, stupid or whatever - but so does spelling the word Colour without a "U" sound silly to me.

The reality is - it's just a part of my culture - we do this - so please don't attack me personally about this - it's not that I'm stupid - it's about where I was brought up.

And I'm sure you never meant imply I'm stupid because of where I was brought up, I'll simply take this as a misunderstanding.

But the fact remains, "Apple are" is correct in British English, and I understand you may not want to acknowledge that because you speak American English - and then I could come out with stupid comments like "but we invented english so that makes us right" - but that would really be stupid.

All I'm trying to say is that it is a moot point, can you possibly accept that?

The english language is not perfect itself anyway, we pronounce words differently depending on their context e.g. Live is pronounced differently in "Come to our Live Concert!" and "Do you want to Live?" - so that makes our language far from perfect without all the nitpicking about dialect.

And just try to accept, that it isn't a good idea to judge someone on how good they can read and write english - some people have officially recognised mental disabilities, such as dyslexia - meaning they are unable to read and write properly - just imagine, you could have insulted someone with that disability.

So all I ask of you, is try to keep an open mind.
( Last edited by mikerally; Dec 29, 2002 at 05:46 PM. )

John123
Grizzled Veteran
Dec 29, 2002, 07:24 PM

But the fact remains, "Apple are" is correct in British English, and I understand you may not want to acknowledge that because you speak American English - and then I could come out with stupid comments like "but we invented english so that makes us right" - but that would really be stupid.
Or that we kicked King George III's butt a little over 200 years ago.

Apple is!

mikerally
Senior User
Dec 29, 2002, 07:35 PM

John123 wrote:
Or that we kicked King George III's butt a little over 200 years ago.

Apple is!
Just what is your point?

Is this what it has come down to? Namecalling?

Ok, I thought I was making a legitimate explanation as to why I used that grammar, but it's become obvious you don't care.

So it's no longer my worth trying to explain myself.

craigthomas
Mac Enthusiast
Dec 29, 2002, 07:55 PM

Just what is your point?

Is this what it has come down to? Namecalling?

Ok, I thought I was making a legitimate explanation as to why I used that grammar, but it's become obvious you don't care.

So it's no longer my worth trying to explain myself.
Never mind those who are intellectually and internationally challenged and feel the need to slam others Mike. No one is being graded here, and we're not looking for precision in any language. The fact that MacNN is a Web forum opens it up to all regions of the world.

Forum Links
Forum Rules