Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > macOS > Why when I click and drag files in Finder they are copied instead, why?

Why when I click and drag files in Finder they are copied instead, why?
Sosa
Senior User
Dec 1, 2003, 02:30 PM

I don't think this used to happen before, something new in Panther? I just want to change the location of folders for example, and they are copied automatically. When these folder are large, like 2 gigs, it is a pain to have to wait and then delete the copy afterwards.

Solutions?
2011 iMac 2.7 i5, 16gb RAM, 1TB HD
Previous Macs: Apple IIc+, iMac 350 G3, iBook 700 G3, G4 Powerbooks 12" 1ghz & 15" 1.67ghz
Join Team MacNN.

Moose
Senior User
Dec 1, 2003, 02:32 PM

Originally posted by Sosa:
I don't think this used to happen before, something new in Panther? I just want to change the location of folders for example, and they are copied automatically. When these folder are large, like 2 gigs, it is a pain to have to wait and then delete the copy afterwards.

Solutions?
More information needed:

1) Same volume?
2) To/from a FileVault-enabled home directory?

Sosa  (op)
Senior User
Dec 1, 2003, 02:43 PM

Well today I tried moving my games folder from the shared folder to my applications. Rather than open another finder window, I usually drag to the desktop, go to finder window were I want the new location, drag to new finder window.

When draggin stuff to the desktop though it is now making copies.

I just now tried dragging the folder from my desktop to the Application folder in Finder and again another 2 gig copy!

Yes I do have filevault on.
Previous Macs: Apple IIc+, iMac 350 G3, iBook 700 G3, G4 Powerbooks 12" 1ghz & 15" 1.67ghz
Join Team MacNN.

Dec 1, 2003, 03:10 PM

Well today I tried moving my games folder from the shared folder to my applications. Rather than open another finder window, I usually drag to the desktop, go to finder window were I want the new location, drag to new finder window.

When draggin stuff to the desktop though it is now making copies.

I just now tried dragging the folder from my desktop to the Application folder in Finder and again another 2 gig copy!

Yes I do have filevault on.
probably permissions related. can you rename or rearrange items in the dupli-copying folder? try running repair permissions and check your permissions on the affected folders vs. another install (another machine) if possible.

Moose
Senior User
Dec 1, 2003, 03:39 PM

Originally posted by 010111:
probably permissions related. can you rename or rearrange items in the dupli-copying folder? try running repair permissions and check your permissions on the affected folders vs. another install (another machine) if possible.
Heh. No. This is not permissions-related. (I swear to God "repair permissions!!!" has become the new "rebuild the desktop!!!")

It's because he has FileVault on. With FileVault, your home directory is, strictly speaking, a different volume.

Dragging files from one volume to another copies them.

Tripped me up the first time it happened to me until I thought about it awhile.

Sosa  (op)
Senior User
Dec 1, 2003, 08:12 PM

Well thanks for the replies. I would verify this but turning off firevault takes a while, and so does turning it on later.

I don't really understand why it is necessary to make copies when moving things from your home folder somewhere else, but at least I know the cause.
Join Team MacNN.

wataru
Addicted to MacNN
Dec 1, 2003, 08:27 PM

I don't really understand why it is necessary to make copies when moving things from your home folder somewhere else, but at least I know the cause.
Because with FileVault your home folder is treated as a separate drive. The default behavior is (obviously) to copy, not move, to different drives.

chabig
Addicted to MacNN
Dec 1, 2003, 08:28 PM

Because when you make a regular copy, the computer doesn't actually move the data. It just updates the address of the data so it looks like it's at a different location.

But when you move data from one hard drive to another, the data itself must be copied. This applies to any mounted volume, not just hard drives. When you copy data to or from your FileVault protected home directory (which is really just an encrypted volume) the data must actually be copied and encrypted.

Chris

CharlesS
Posting Junkie
Dec 1, 2003, 10:42 PM

If you hold down the Command key, you can cause the file to be moved instead of copied (although, with a FileVault-enabled home folder, you'll still have to wait for the file to be encrypted).

Ticking sound coming from a .pkg package? Don't let the .bom go off! Inspect it first with Pacifist. Macworld - five mice!

Chris Grande
Senior User
Dec 2, 2003, 12:54 AM

Also if your on the same Volume and want to copy something instead of move it, hold the option key while you are dragging. This along with 'hold the command key' to move across volumes shows a visual change in the cursor. A green circle with a '+' sign means copy and just a normal cursor means move. Oh...and while we're at it command-option makes an alias.

Forum Links
Forum Rules