Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > I have to leave MacNN.

I have to leave MacNN. (Page 2)
Super Mario
Jul 5, 2005, 06:05 PM

It's fine if you want to go Jamil, but please send your sister here to post her pictures.

Dr. Awesome
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jul 5, 2005, 06:08 PM

Yay he's gone!
Qwerty.

alphasubzero949
Mac Elite
Jul 5, 2005, 06:08 PM

Originally Posted by Captain Obvious
I wish they would actually go after they post their little dramatic tirade. If they feel the need to go and make such a fuss over leaving that they make a thread about it then stay gone. Speaking of which...
Of course, they'll be back posting in the lounge again after about 6 months.

Dr. Awesome
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jul 5, 2005, 06:09 PM

Originally Posted by alphasubzero949
Of course, they'll be back posting in the lounge again after about 6 months.
Need a hug?
Qwerty.

Dr. Awesome
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jul 5, 2005, 06:18 PM

Originally Posted by budster101
What store?
http://forums.macnn.com/showthread.php?t=261040
Qwerty.

Big Mac
Clinically Insane
Jul 5, 2005, 06:22 PM

If you're posting on Mac forums on Apple's time while in the store, the company is justified in firing you. And if you're posting confidential information anywhere at any time, the company is again justified in taking action. But if you're posting from a separate connection, and you're not posting anything confidential, Apple cannot reasonably fire you. Unless you were to admit to superiors you were posting on your own time, how would they even know about your activity? I suppose a coworker could inform on you, but other than that how could they find out? Is the Apple Bureau of Investigation going to covertly sniff your packets looking for MacNN traffic? Just post discreetly - don't leave a lot of potential clues to your identity - and you should be fine.

"The natural progress of things is for liberty to yield and government to gain ground." TJ

Captain Obvious
Professional Poster
Jul 5, 2005, 06:34 PM

Originally Posted by Big Mac
. But if you're posting from a separate connection, and you're not posting anything confidential, Apple cannot reasonably fire you.
Um, yeah they can.
It might not be easy to find you but since he already posted he works there before and then this thread it would not be impossible. But yes, they can fire you for pretty much anything you do that they feel reflects poorly on them because you are a member of their company.

Barack Obama: Four more years of the Carter Presidency

Big Mac
Clinically Insane
Jul 5, 2005, 06:41 PM

Originally Posted by Captain Obvious
Um, yeah they can.
It might not be easy to find you but since he already posted he works there before and then this thread it would not be impossible. But yes, they can fire you for pretty much anything you do that they feel reflects poorly on them because you are a member of their company.
Well, I'll amend my statement: If said employee is posting as an admitted employee of Apple but is not posting anything of a negative, confidential or otherwise consequential nature concerning his or her employment/employer, the company doesn't have much cause to terminate employment. A company can certainly fire without good cause, but the former employee can also sue. And I think the employee would have a good wrongful termination suit in such a scenario.

"The natural progress of things is for liberty to yield and government to gain ground." TJ

Cody Dawg
Addicted to MacNN
Jul 5, 2005, 06:51 PM

Apple does certainly prohibit employees from posting on any mac related forums. It's crazy, but they do it. It's a fairly common occurrence for people to get canned over it too.
I would sue them - I am 100% serious - if they tried to tell me that I couldn't post at a forum in my own free time. If I'm not giving away confidential information then it's none of their business.

Chuckit
Clinically Insane
Jul 5, 2005, 07:03 PM

Originally Posted by Cody Dawg
I would sue them - I am 100% serious - if they tried to tell me that I couldn't post at a forum in my own free time. If I'm not giving away confidential information then it's none of their business.
And in most states you would get your ass trounced in court by Apple's lawyers and have nothing to show for it but a huge legal debt. Unless you're part of a union, your employer has the right to fire you for any reason not specifically forbidden by law — including no good reason at all. Can you cite a law that says people can't be fired by a private business owner for posting on an Internet forum?
Chuck
___
"Instead of either 'multi-talented' or 'multitalented' use 'bisexual'."

Cody Dawg
Addicted to MacNN
Jul 5, 2005, 07:07 PM

Well, one thing is for sure: I'd have a good time with it. I'd love the bad press Apple would get.

OldManMac
Addicted to MacNN
Jul 5, 2005, 07:11 PM

I worked for Apple for two years, as an Apple Solutions Consultant, and was never told not to post on Mac boards. It's rather obvious that you shouldn't post confidential information, but the vast majority of Apple employees, including store managers, don't have any more inside info than the man on the moon, as to what's coming in as new products. They find out about it the same day the general public does. I used to have a regional manager who thought he was being a big shot by hinting at what was coming down the pike, and he was wrong more often that right.
Why is there always money for war, but none for education?

Captain Obvious
Professional Poster
Jul 5, 2005, 07:21 PM

And I think the employee would have a good wrongful termination suit in such a scenario.
You'd be wrong. Very very wrong.

Well, one thing is for sure: I'd have a good time with it. I'd love the bad press Apple would get.
YDC
Pff, and someone like me would love the checks you'd have to deliver to my office as you pay off a 15,000 dollar bill. Which will have gotten you all of one paragraph on slashdot and maybe a minute on your local news. I am sure Apple would be quivering in fear of that kind of press.

Cody Dawg
Addicted to MacNN
Jul 5, 2005, 07:27 PM

Here you are again, Captain Obvious! You just sit and wait until I post and then you post...I'll say it again...YOU LOVE ME!

Captain Obvious
Professional Poster
Jul 5, 2005, 07:29 PM

Ydc

It might seem that way to you but the since every other post you put up highlights your idiocy a person can only see it so many times in one day without commenting on it. I am sure there are dozens of examples from today alone but this thread was the only one I caught. It is a numbers game in which of all the stupid things said on MacNN one will inevitably respond to one of yours. This is a ballpark guess but it can't be more than a 1:3 ratio in the lounge.
( Last edited by Captain Obvious; Jul 5, 2005 at 07:40 PM. )

Demonhood
Administrator
Jul 5, 2005, 07:49 PM

enough with the name calling.

Chuckit
Clinically Insane
Jul 5, 2005, 08:05 PM

Here you are again, Captain Obvious! You just sit and wait until I post and then you post...I'll say it again...YOU LOVE ME!
Are you, like, Zimphire's fourth nick?
Chuck
___

Cody Dawg
Addicted to MacNN
Jul 5, 2005, 08:15 PM

You know what's funny? He'll (Zimph) will have like 10,000 posts on EACH one within a month.

Kevin
Baninated
Jul 5, 2005, 08:19 PM

heck, I don't even average a post a day.

Total Posts: 697 (0.71 posts per day)

budster101
Baninated
Location: Illinois might be cold and flat, but at least it's ugly.
Jul 5, 2005, 08:44 PM

Loser.

12.71 ! I rauk. Uhm. Well, I'm bored anyway.

BoarderX
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jul 6, 2005, 07:39 AM

To end this topic:
-Yes, it is true that Apple Employee's are prohibited from posting in Mac Forums/websites.
-Yes, you can be fired if you are found in violation.
-No, it doesn't matter if you said you were an Apple Employee or not.
-No, it also doesn't matter if you were distibuting confidential information or just stating your opinion.

For those Apple Retail Employees who don't believe me, check your Policies and Procedures manual, section 2-7 and 2-8. If you still don't believe it, ask: [email protected].

And yes, they can find you, fire you, and even prosecute you. (And they usually win.)

I'm not trying to scare anyone; I just don't want to see any unnecessary casualties.

Warung
Mac Elite
Jul 6, 2005, 07:49 AM

Originally Posted by BoarderX
And yes, they can find you
How?

Have you been touched by his noodly appendage?

Big Mac
Clinically Insane
Jul 6, 2005, 07:55 AM

Originally Posted by BoarderX
To end this topic:
-Yes, it is true that Apple Employee's are prohibited from posting in Mac Forums/websites.
-Yes, you can be fired if you are found in violation.
-No, it doesn't matter if you said you were an Apple Employee or not.
-No, it also doesn't matter if you were distibuting confidential information or just stating your opinion.

For those Apple Retail Employees who don't believe me, check your Policies and Procedures manual, section 2-7 and 2-8. If you still don't believe it, ask: [email protected].

And yes, they can find you, fire you, and even prosecute you. (And they usually win.)

I'm not trying to scare anyone; I just don't want to see any unnecessary casualties.
And you know this how? If your knowledge of Apple policy has been obtained by the way we may easily infer that it is, then I suppose you're not frightened of those enumerated consequences?

Cody Dawg
Addicted to MacNN
Jul 6, 2005, 08:21 AM

BoarderX
and even prosecute you
I love that: "And even prosecute you!"

Give. Me. A. Break.

Now Apple has prosecuting attorneys on staff?

RAILhead
Addicted to MacNN
Jul 6, 2005, 09:34 AM

Ohhhh Nooooohz!!!!111!!1!!
"Everything's so clear to me now: I'm the keeper of the cheese and you're the lemon merchant. Get it? And he knows it.
That's why he's gonna kill us. So we got to beat it. Yeah. Before he let's loose the marmosets on us."
my band • my web site • my guitar effects • my photos • facebook • brightpoint

Chuckit
Clinically Insane
Jul 6, 2005, 09:55 AM

Now Apple has prosecuting attorneys on staff?
What, you think they just specialize in cease-and-desist orders?
Chuck
___

RAILhead
Addicted to MacNN
Jul 6, 2005, 10:03 AM

What the crap -- the dadgum forum killed my ALL CAPS. How did we circumvent that, again?

Maury
"Everything's so clear to me now: I'm the keeper of the cheese and you're the lemon merchant. Get it? And he knows it.
That's why he's gonna kill us. So we got to beat it. Yeah. Before he let's loose the marmosets on us."
my band • my web site • my guitar effects • my photos • facebook • brightpoint

Stradlater
Professional Poster
Jul 6, 2005, 10:30 AM

Originally Posted by Dr. Awesome
Yay he's gone!
Dude, you gotta cover your tracks better than that. Why do they always return to the scene of the crime?

"You rise," he said, "like Aurora."

Dr. Awesome
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jul 6, 2005, 10:48 AM

Originally Posted by Stradlater
Dude, you gotta cover your tracks better than that. Why do they always return to the scene of the crime?

What are you talking about?
Qwerty.

Stradlater
Professional Poster
Jul 6, 2005, 11:21 AM

What are you talking about?
Uhh, that you're jamil.

wdlove
Addicted to MacNN
Jul 6, 2005, 11:29 AM

Congratulations on your new job at an Apple Store. What an ideal place to work.

"Never give in, never give in, never, never, never, never - in nothing, great or small, large or petty - never give in except to convictions of honor and good sense." Winston Churchill

BoarderX
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jul 6, 2005, 06:40 PM

And you know this how? If your knowledge of Apple policy has been obtained by the way we may easily infer that it is, then I suppose you're not frightened of those enumerated consequences?
I'm just helping any Apple Employees (or future Apple Employees) to better understand the rules they are bound by. Like most rules, they can be interpreted to mean many different things.

Athens
Addicted to MacNN
Jul 7, 2005, 09:03 AM

Originally Posted by mitchell_pgh
This isn't a US thing Athens... it's a "trade secret" thing. And last I knew, publishing trade secrets in Canada is just as illegal as in the US.

It's not hard to understand. If you posted an ad in the local paper with a trade secret, would you be amazed if you lost your job? What is the difference between posting said trade secret on the web?
No Mitchell, no company has the right to fire some one because they smoke or because they go to a forum. They can forbid them from revealing privileged information but to say you just cant post at Mac forums would be illegal. Saying you can not post privileged / secret information anywhere would be legal. Got It?
Blandine Bureau 1940 - 2011
Missed 2012 by 3 days, RIP Grandma :-(

Oisín
Moderator Emeritus
Jul 7, 2005, 09:06 AM

Originally Posted by Athens
No Mitchell, no company has the right to fire some one because they smoke or because they go to a forum. They can forbid them from revealing privileged information but to say you just cant post at Mac forums would be illegal. Saying you can not post privileged / secret information anywhere would be legal. Got It?
That's just what he said: posting trade secrets would be just cause for firing, both in Canada and the US. Smoking or posting on a forum is only 'just' cause for firing in the US, because of the less stringent laws on grounds for termination.

Athens
Addicted to MacNN
Jul 7, 2005, 09:27 AM

Originally Posted by Oisín
That's just what he said: posting trade secrets would be just cause for firing, both in Canada and the US. Smoking or posting on a forum is only 'just' cause for firing in the US, because of the less stringent laws on grounds for termination.
then he had no reason to reply to my post, because when I was refering to BC laws to protect people I was talking more about the A) being fired for being a smoker, and B) being told you cant post on a forum at all
Blandine Bureau 1940 - 2011
Missed 2012 by 3 days, RIP Grandma :-(

Dr. Awesome
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jul 7, 2005, 12:25 PM

How about this:

He creates a new nick, refrains from posting about Apple secrets, and enjoys his free time? If Apple fires him because of it, I doubt he'd be happy working there in the first place.
Qwerty.

budster101
Baninated
Location: Illinois might be cold and flat, but at least it's ugly.
Jul 7, 2005, 12:28 PM

LIke you?

Dr. Awesome
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jul 7, 2005, 12:32 PM

Originally Posted by budster101
LIke you?
I don't work for Apple.
Qwerty.

residentEvil
Professional Poster
Jul 7, 2005, 01:53 PM

But he/she/it did stay at a Holiday Inn last night.

ReggieX
Professional Poster
Jul 7, 2005, 01:53 PM

Oh, and what's with the blurry pics
SEVEN DAYS
The Lord said 'Peter, I can see your house from here.'

jamil5454  (op)
Mac Elite
Jul 7, 2005, 02:17 PM

You know, f*!% it.

If I get "terminated", then so be it. I can always find another job.

Oisín
Moderator Emeritus
Jul 7, 2005, 02:32 PM

Originally Posted by ReggieX
SEVEN DAYS
Someone already used that one on page 1 (SWF?).

Slowie.

brapper
Professional Poster
Jul 7, 2005, 03:02 PM

You know what's funny? He'll (Zimph) will have like 10,000 posts on EACH one within a month.

oh man. what are his other nicknames???

Stradlater
Professional Poster
Jul 7, 2005, 04:55 PM

I don't work for Apple.
Dude, yes you do. You're jamil, though now it looks like you're abandoning this "Dr. Awesome" anyhow.

E's Lil Theorem
Mac Elite
Jul 7, 2005, 05:03 PM

Originally Posted by Stradlater
Dude, yes you do. You're jamil, though now it looks like you're abandoning this "Dr. Awesome" anyhow.
He admitted as much in the this thread.

Stradlater
Professional Poster
Jul 7, 2005, 05:10 PM

Originally Posted by jamil5454
You know, f*!% it.

If I get "terminated", then so be it. I can always find another job.
Why don't you just be smart about it, change "jamil5454"'s and "Dr. Awesome"'s profile information, then make a new account and abandon this silly little farce. It's easy enough to avoid termination. Don't be a dumbass.

Stradlater
Professional Poster
Jul 7, 2005, 05:14 PM

Originally Posted by E's Lil Theorem
He admitted as much in the this thread.
Finally. His very 1st "Dr. Awesome" post was evidence enough.

ReggieX
Professional Poster
Jul 7, 2005, 05:23 PM

Someone already used that one on page 1 (SWF?).

Slowie.
But you asked AFTER the answer was already posted, so who's the slowie now?
The Lord said 'Peter, I can see your house from here.'

Big Mac
Clinically Insane
Jul 7, 2005, 05:26 PM

Originally Posted by residentEvil
But he/she/it did stay at a Holiday Inn last night.

Superchicken
Addicted to MacNN
Jul 7, 2005, 05:26 PM

What's with the out of focus photos?

Forum Links
Forum Rules