Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > New logic board revision for MBP is a winner

New logic board revision for MBP is a winner
Tomchu
Mac Elite
Aug 1, 2006, 08:06 PM

New logic board revision for MBP and other facts

Since the update of Apple's KB article related to whining on the MBP, a lot of you have expressed curiosity in whether or not Apple is replacing whiny MBP logic boards with a new revision.

While away in Europe, my optical drive went the way of Windows 98 and would not reliably burn CDs anymore, regardless of speed or brand. DVDs burned fine. The moment I got back to Vancouver, I called up Apple Canada and talked to a CSR. Heidi turned out to be a great listener, typed up everything I told her, and asked me if I had run through the usual routine (PMU, PRAM, reinstall OS X, etc.). She then assigned me a case number, and provided a list of authorized repair centers near my area. All in all the call took 5 minutes.

Out of curiosity I asked her whether the repair process differed in the US. She explained that in the US, customers have the option of having Apple ship a box out or simply going to a store with an authorized technician, while in Canada the latter is the only option. In any case, out of the three places she gave me, I chose to go to Discount Mac Club in Richmond, BC, as they were the closest to my work (literally the next street over).

The technician at DMC, Paul, turned out to be great. He listened to the problem, took down my information, took the MBP in for 1.5 - 2 hours to confirm the problem, and asked me to come back later to pick it up. This was last Friday. I mentioned to him that Apple was replacing logic boards in whiny MBPs, and without a word, he instantly bent over the keyboard to listen to the machine, and confirmed that I had a whine (which I did, while on battery power and idling). The whine never bothered me enough to call Apple about before, but since I was already getting the MBP serviced, I figured "Why not?".

He said he'd order the parts right away, and I would have to bring the MBP in next week in the morning to get repaired, and I could pick it up after lunch. The parts arrived the following Monday (yesterday), and DMC told me to drop by today to get the repair done. This morning at about 10 AM, I dropped the MBP off, and at 1:30 PM I got a call that it was ready to pick up.

The quality of the workmanship in replacing the logic board and optical drive is great ... not a scuff or scratch that wasn't there before, and this time my ports are all aligned correctly (the old logic board was shifted over about 1 mm, so that all of the Firewire/USB/etc. ports were off-kilter).

I ended up talking to the technician about the MBP and repair, and he confirmed that Apple is indeed sending out a new revision of the logic board to replace the whiny ones. I even got a second set of Tiger install DVDs along with the repair, which Paul says came with the new logic board.

The verdict? Not a single screech or whine, plugged in or not. This thing is now perfectly silent. Here's the kicker, though ... it runs considerably cooler than before. With the old logic board (Week 22), the MBP was virtually unusable on a lap while plugged in. The section of the frame between the keyboard and the screen also became rather hot to the touch. With this new logic board, I've been plugged in for two hours, and both the bottom of the MBP and the bar across the keyboard are still only luke-warm to the touch.

Luke-warm!

Thank you for the wonderful service, Apple and DMC!

Javizun
Mac Enthusiast
Aug 2, 2006, 01:29 AM

aww man when i called they said they will send me a box and i would have to ship the macbook out....how come i didd not get the option to go to a retail apple store? ohh well amazing service your recieved worth it for paying such a premium on the laptops we own.

Forum Links
Forum Rules