Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Desktops > iMac G4 LCD backlight wear...

iMac G4 LCD backlight wear...
seanyepez
Addicted to MacNN
Mar 16, 2002, 11:46 PM

This is extremely disturbing. I brought both of my household's 800-megahertz iMac G4's into my room and put them side-by-side. Strangely enough, the kitchen iMac's backlight is significantly dimmer than the one in my room's backlight. Granted, I don't use the one in my room very often, but I think a two-month old backlight and a backlight rarely used for two months should be quite comparable.

Both machines are displaying the same image (a white browser screen) and have identical system settings.

I don't know if this is a question or a cautionary note, but it's certain that my kitchen iMac's LCD has worn considerably in the short two months I've had it for.

Have any of you had similar findings? How fast should an LCD wear?

Upon calibrating the displays, the difference in noticible brightness isn't very great. However, I have learned my lesson; LCD backlights need to go off as much as possible and when not in use. I always knew they would wear out, but I never knew LCD's wore out this quickly.

[ 03-16-2002: Message edited by: seanyepez ]

JayTi
Mac Enthusiast
Mar 17, 2002, 01:17 AM

This might seem dumb, but are the brightness settings each the same, and are both displays calibrated with the same gamma correction?
Am I still here?

Sebastien
Mar 17, 2002, 01:30 AM

Originally posted by seanyepez:
<STRONG> ....my kitchen iMac's LCD has worn considerably in the short two months I've had it for.....
</STRONG>
How I envy you

Apart from checking the actual brightness settings, are the colors calibrated the same (if there is such a thing for the LCD iMacs; don't know yet, haven't received mine - that's the envy part )

Seb

[ 03-17-2002: Message edited by: Sebastien ]

seanyepez  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Mar 17, 2002, 05:10 AM

Yes. I'm 100% sure it's not a software issue. Both are using the same brightness settings, and both aren't calibrated.

Forum Links
Forum Rules