Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > macOS > Dashbord - Don't you wish......

Dashbord - Don't you wish......
gordo19
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Apr 30, 2005, 07:31 PM

Each widget could have a preference to be on the dashboard level or to be available be on the main desktop level

No use having stickies, if you cant see them all the time, thats why we stuck them to our screen in the first place

And it would be nice to have, for example, the weather always visible.

Certain thing are great to come and find when you need them such as Calculators, Yell or translators etc..

Edit

Here is how to do it:

Activate Dashboard, click the little X thing in the lower left hand corner of your screen - choose a Widget and begin to drag it to you desktop - While still holding the Widg activate Expose (F12) Now release your Widget -- It's on your desktop!!!

But next tiem you start dashboard, it will go back to dashboard and not desktop so.....................

Go to Terminal and do:

defaults write com.apple.Dashboard devmode YES

Log out, log in

now try this again

Activate Dashboard, click the little X thing in the lower left hand corner of your screen - choose a Widget and begin to drag it to you desktop - While still holding the Widg activate Expose (F12) Now release your Widget -- It's on your desktop!!!

Can't believe Apple left this feature off the pref box, its looks to be a development setting, but is actually an ideal way or working
( Last edited by Nick; May 3, 2005 at 02:53 PM. )

hakstooy
Forum Regular
May 1, 2005, 12:01 AM

Aww man, now I have a dead dictionary Widget in the middle of my desktop.

DevNine
Dedicated MacNNer
May 1, 2005, 12:11 AM

"While still holding the Widg activate Expose (F12) Now release your Widget -- It's on your desktop!!!"

Emmm F12 is assigned to which expose function ?
http://winlab.csbnet.se Visit the Mac Demo Scene.

saddino
Mac Enthusiast
May 1, 2005, 12:22 AM

Download the Amnesty public beta next week and you'll be able to have multiple widgets on your desktop, living outside of Dashboard.

stevesnj
Mac Elite
May 1, 2005, 12:33 AM

MacBook Pro 15" i7 ~ Snow Leopard ~ iPhone 4 - 16Gb

Kerrigan
Addicted to MacNN
May 1, 2005, 01:02 AM

There is a knock-off of Dashboard made by this little company called Konfabulator, and all of its widgets are kept on the desktop.

Yes, I'm just kidding.. I know that Apple completely screwed Konfab

3R1C
Mac Enthusiast
May 1, 2005, 02:25 AM

Originally Posted by Kerrigan
There is a knock-off of Dashboard made by this little company called Konfabulator, and all of its widgets are kept on the desktop.

Yes, I'm just kidding.. I know that Apple completely screwed Konfab
Yeah they did. they didnt even give the konfab team a reach around.
3R1C

piracy
Mac Elite
May 1, 2005, 11:45 AM

Originally Posted by 3R1C
Yeah they did. they didnt even give the konfab team a reach around.
http://daringfireball.net/2004/06/da...s_konfabulator

TETENAL
Addicted to MacNN
May 1, 2005, 11:53 AM

piracy, I dare to disagree with that blogger.

nonhuman
Posting Junkie
May 1, 2005, 12:03 PM

Yeah, that's totally how I want Dashboard to work. I want to have the weather widget on my Desktop, and maybe some world clocks as I am regularly making calls to multiple other time zones for work. Cool.

JLL
Professional Poster
May 1, 2005, 12:16 PM

Originally Posted by nonhuman
Yeah, that's totally how I want Dashboard to work. I want to have the weather widget on my Desktop, and maybe some world clocks as I am regularly making calls to multiple other time zones for work. Cool.
Which means you have to hide every window to see them? I like Dashboard much more that Konfabulator.
JLL

- My opinions may have changed, but not the fact that I am right.

jasong
Mac Elite
May 1, 2005, 12:19 PM

Originally Posted by TETENAL
piracy, I dare to disagree with that blogger.
Ooooohhhhh . . . I triple dog dare you to agree
-- Jason

ambush
Banned
May 1, 2005, 12:54 PM

Instead of logging out: type "killall Dock" in terminal.

hldan
Mac Elite
May 1, 2005, 01:07 PM

Originally Posted by JLL
Which means you have to hide every window to see them? I like Dashboard much more that Konfabulator.
Ditto, Konfabulator is cool but I always hated shrinking my web browser just to view them. Even worse, trying putting the widgets on top got in the way of my browser or any applicatons. Dashboard does it the right way. Most of the widgets don't need to be seen continously. You have a clock on the Apple tool bar anyway.
iMac 24" 2.8 Ghz Core 2 Extreme
500GB HDD
4GB Ram
Proud new Owner!

analogika
Posting Junkie
May 1, 2005, 01:11 PM

Originally Posted by hldan
Ditto, Konfabulator is cool but I always hated shrinking my web browser just to view them. Even worse, trying putting the widgets on top got in the way of my browser or any applicatons. Dashboard does it the right way. Most of the widgets don't need to be seen continously. You have a clock on the Apple tool bar anyway.

Exactly.

nonhuman
Posting Junkie
May 1, 2005, 03:02 PM

Originally Posted by JLL
My normal window layout leaves some of the desktop exposed. It would be nice if I could put some widgets there so that I can see them at a glance without interrupting my workflow. World time would be particularly useful because I often make calls to the East Coast, UK, Australia, Singapore, &c and I have to take into account whether or not business hours are over there or not. Sure I could do the math, which is how I do it now, but it would be nice to be able to just have one or two clocks visible all the time so I don't have to.

ender2002
Senior User
May 1, 2005, 03:30 PM

i wish the itunes controller could be usable. there must be a four second lag between pause / play. ugh
2x 1.25 gighz g4

cgc
Professional Poster
May 1, 2005, 03:41 PM

It'd be nice to have options to use Apple's Konpose knockoff (aka Dashboard via F12) and/or gadgets on the desktop, backmost, frontmost, etc. or any combination thereof (e.g. some gadgets in F12 and others on desktop).

mdc
Addicted to MacNN
May 1, 2005, 03:51 PM

my personal opinion is that dashboard has the right idea about being its own layer that only appears when you need it.

i really can't understand the need to see 2 world clocks and the weather constantly. is it really that difficult to assign a screen corner or press f12 to see the time or weather?
the weather on the desktop all the time really perplexes me since it's the weather. it stays pretty constant for most of the day. look out the window.

but it would be cool for dashboard to have the option, since everyone is different and i don't see why apple couldn't give the option since it does seem that some people want it.

nonhuman
Posting Junkie
May 1, 2005, 04:04 PM

Originally Posted by mdc
but it would be cool for dashboard to have the option, since everyone is different and i don't see why apple couldn't give the option since it does seem that some people want it.

Exactly. That's all I want. Definitely the way it works now makes sense for some widgets. Having a dictionary just sit there on your desktop would be dumb. Of course why you wouldn't just use Dictionary.app instead of the widget, i don't know.

piracy
Mac Elite
May 1, 2005, 06:14 PM

Guys.

Relax.

There WILL be a third party tool, probably several, that lets you do Konfabulator-like things all day long, to your heart's content, with Dashboard widgets. Tiger has been out for less than 2 days. At least wait until a week from now, 'k?

turtle777
Clinically Insane
May 2, 2005, 09:50 AM

Originally Posted by gordo19
Dashbord - Don't you wish......
... that Dashboard would work as well as Konfabulator ?

YES, YES, YES !

Darn it Apple, why did you have to learn from M$ how to make bad knock-offs ?

-t

foamy
Senior User
May 2, 2005, 12:24 PM

Is there are way to add 3rd party widgets to the dashboard bar?

Is there a way to refresh widget content? E.g. I have the yahoo traffic widget and the only way I can get new info is to close it, find the .wdgt file (see #1 above) and relaunch it.

piracy
Mac Elite
May 2, 2005, 12:33 PM

Originally Posted by foamy
Is there are way to add 3rd party widgets to the dashboard bar?
Yes. Just put it in /Library/Widgets or ~/Library/Widgets.

You will have to log out and back in, or do a 'killall Dock', to see the change take effect on the Dashboard shelf.

Is there a way to refresh widget content? E.g. I have the yahoo traffic widget and the only way I can get new info is to close it, find the .wdgt file (see #1 above) and relaunch it.
Yes. With the widget selected, press cmd-R.

Mithras
Professional Poster
May 2, 2005, 12:49 PM

Originally Posted by piracy
Yes. Just put it in /Library/Widgets or ~/Library/Widgets.

You will have to log out and back in, or do a 'killall Dock', to see the change take effect on the Dashboard shelf.
Or, double-click it in the Finder, and it will be copied to ~/Library/Widgets, and activated in the Dashboard. (You then have to confirm that you want to use it.)

foamy
Senior User
May 2, 2005, 01:02 PM

Thanks guys!

I *should* have thought to cmd-R for refresh.... duh.

piracy
Mac Elite
May 3, 2005, 01:04 PM

Guys.

Relax.

There WILL be a third party tool, probably several, that lets you do Konfabulator-like things all day long, to your heart's content, with Dashboard widgets. Tiger has been out for less than 2 days. At least wait until a week from now, 'k?
And, as I said:

http://www.mesadynamics.com/amnesty.htm

Amnesty Widget Browser is a utility for Mac OS X 10.4 Tiger that allows Dashboard widgets to live directly on your Desktop via a convenient icon in your system menu bar.

Widgets loaded in Amnesty Widget Browser run completely independent of Apple's Dashboard environment, maintain their own preferences and feature additional properties such as window depth and opacity.

For widgets junkies, Amnesty Widget Browser is a great way to try out third-party widgets without restarting Dashboard. And for widget developers, Amnesty Widget Browser makes a perfect rapid testing environment* (instead of loading widgets in Safari).

Amnesty Widget Browser is slated for final release Q3 2005 but is available today as a public beta. Download your copy today and see if your favorite widgets are up to taking flight.

BZ
Grizzled Veteran
May 3, 2005, 01:12 PM

Ok.. going against the grain.

I don't WANT all those (or any) gadgets on my desktop. I don't want my desktop moving or shaking or updating, that is why I have apps.

Dashboard is easy to get to (put in on my 7th mouse button) and so if I need to check stuff, it is a quick click away.

BZ

piracy
Mac Elite
May 3, 2005, 01:52 PM

Originally Posted by BZ
Dashboard is easy to get to (put in on my 7th mouse button)
Okay. Does anyone else find irony in this statement?

JLL
Professional Poster
May 3, 2005, 02:46 PM

Perhaps, but I think my 8-button mouse makes my day easier.
JLL

- My opinions may have changed, but not the fact that I am right.

Randman
Posting Junkie
May 3, 2005, 02:49 PM

Don't you wish Dashboard was spelled right in the headline. I know it's anal but it makes me cringe everytime I see it.

This is a computer-generated message and needs no signature.

mitchell_pgh
Posting Junkie
May 3, 2005, 03:25 PM

Originally Posted by hldan
Bingo... the idea is they are only seconds away... what's the point if I need to shrink windows or minimize?

I think Apple took it to the next level.

mitchell_pgh
Posting Junkie
May 3, 2005, 03:27 PM

No, it's a geek thing... Dashboard is only one F12 away.

Randman
Posting Junkie
May 3, 2005, 03:32 PM

It's easier to do with a larger screen, of course. Safari allows bookmarklets. I have one for a full screen on my PB17 ( I hide the dock and use F10). I also have 2 that go full depth but are shorter (where I find comfortable for most web pages) and go to the left and right side of the page. Very handy when you're surfing and working on something else (or when you want to see what's on your screen).
WindowShadeX is also nice since you can just double click on get the OS9 goodness of a windowshaded item.

Dashboard is cool but there can still be effective uses for konfabulator.

This is a computer-generated message and needs no signature.

BZ
Grizzled Veteran
May 3, 2005, 03:46 PM

It is actually what Apple calls the button. For me, it is the "top" button on my MX518.

BZ

ApeInTheShell
Senior User
May 3, 2005, 04:08 PM

Pssst......if you look in the dictionary the words "gadget" and "widget" mean the same thing.
just a reminder

mrgaskell
Senior User
May 3, 2005, 05:32 PM

First off, Konfabulator came out with Kompose' AFTER Dashboard was announced, so I see it as them ripping off Apple.

Second, Konfabulator sucked as far as performance was concerned. Especially if you had a widget that checked the 'net for info. It would try to refresh over and over and over, tying up resources.

And third, the idea itself was not original to Konfabulator, that is why they didn't sue, only bitched that somebody knocked them off of their money making venture with a better product.

...or I could be wrong.
BlackBook 2Ghz C2D, 2GB, 120GB HD | Black 80GB iPod 5.5 | 8GB Red iPod Nano |
Check out my personal and classroom sites!

Forum Links
Forum Rules