Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Applications > iTunes and auto lyrics

iTunes and auto lyrics
reemas
Senior User
Sep 19, 2005, 05:30 PM

is there a component or anything that will automatically add lyrics to the lyrics tab of a song if it is selected or played?

someone mentioned this on some forum, but not sure if it exists. any info would be nice. thanks.

toneloco28
Sep 19, 2005, 09:24 PM

Not sure if you on Tiger or not, but I use this . Works great, and is the most consistent from the few option's I've tried

cybergoober
Mac Elite
Sep 20, 2005, 08:20 AM

pearLyrics works well for me. Some of the other lyrics widgets didn't find lyrics for some of my music...

reemas  (op)
Senior User
Sep 20, 2005, 12:08 PM

pearlyrics is what i use. its great. does sometimes take a second. hey cybergoober, have you a found a way to get lyrics for a playlists WITHOUT playing each song individually?

i tried caching the lyrics for the playlist, but that doesn't add them to iTunes.

chabig
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 20, 2005, 02:06 PM

I have had the best luck with PearLyrics. It does find lyrics that other widgets don't.

Just this morning I submitted a hint to macosxhints.com about how to automatically fill your entire iTunes library with lyrics. I'm not going to retype it here, so check macosxhints tomorrow.

Chris

reemas  (op)
Senior User
Sep 20, 2005, 03:09 PM

sweet, ill check it. thanks chris.

chabig
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 20, 2005, 03:47 PM

Their submission form is a web page, so I simply don't have it any more. But I can tell you that I got all of the lyrics for my 2600 songs in one night.

Chris

reemas  (op)
Senior User
Sep 20, 2005, 03:54 PM

sounds good. i cant find it on their site yet. maybe it hasnt updated....

Slimride99
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Sep 21, 2005, 08:52 PM

Dying to know how you got the lyrics in automatically. Can't find the post at macosxhints.com. Could you post it here? Thanks.

chabig
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 23, 2005, 10:39 AM

My hint is now posted at www.macosxhints.com

3R1C
Mac Enthusiast
Sep 30, 2005, 07:30 PM

Now we just need Smart Playlist support for the Lyrics tag. Heres what I'd like to see:

Lyrics [contains/does not contain/is/is not/starts with/ends with] (some text)

Basically the same as what options are available for the other tags like name, artist and album.

This would allow the user to make a smart playlist with songs that:

1. contain no lyrics
2. contain lyrics
3. contain a specific word or phrase

If I had a playlist of tracks that contain no lyrics, I could point PearLyrics at it, and it would just always be trying to add lyrics to tracks that dont have lyrics. Say I rip a new CD. Those new tracks would not have lyrics. They would then automagically appear in the "No Lyrics" smart playlist. PearlLyrics would see these tracks and give them lyrics. The track would then be removed from the "No Lyrics" smart playlist.

How about pearlLyrics creates a playlist that contains those tracks that it could not find art for?

Also how about the same support for the artwork tag?

A smart playlist of tracks that don't/do have artwork. Or have x pieces of artwork.

That would make my life alot easier...
3R1C

CreepDogg
Mac Elite
Nov 2, 2005, 05:32 PM

Question about pearLyrics - I've used it, and it works great.

I have one problem that I have - when I play an mp3 file, it writes the lyrics in fine. When I play an aac file (protected or unprotected), the application displays the lyrics, but does not write them into iTunes. I can cut and paste them in, but pearLyrics doesn't automatically put them in.

Plus, when I paste, it double-pastes the lyrics (on all files).

Anyone else see either of these?

tarsoluis
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jan 7, 2006, 10:50 AM

3R1C hit the nail on the head re: the limitations of various lyrics widgets out there. With pearLyrics now down (if hopefully not out), has anyone risen to these challenges?

Also, I've found the pearLyrics doesn't do so well with non-English lyrics. About 25% of my 7,000 songs are Brazilian. There are great lyrics sites for this music but I've yet to find a widget that looks at these sources.

tarsoluis
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jan 8, 2006, 06:04 PM

Jason Allen has got a script that searches the lyrics fied in iTunes for specific words or phrases and creates a playlist out of the matches. It crashed when I tried it on my whole library (7000 songs) but on a smaller selection did the job just right. Thought you might be interested. You can find it here:

http://forums.ipodlounge.com/archive.../138116-1.html

And Doug Adams has got a script that searches your iTunes library and creates a playlist of your tracks without lyrics. It's called "No Lyrics to Playlist" and you can find it here:

http://www.dougscripts.com/itunes/sc...TheScripts.php

Now if the lyrics-hunting software out there were only a bit better, especially for Latin and other non-English music. Even finding Bob Marley, Digable Planets and other popular English-language music has been elusive.

-tarsoluis

Forum Links
Forum Rules