Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Networking > Sharing a folder for access by others over the net.

Sharing a folder for access by others over the net.
Halfloaf
Dec 11, 2005, 02:47 PM

Hello,

This may seem like a really stupid networking question (Or is it OS X related), but I would like to share a folder so that my brother can upload some wedding photos to me over the net. (about 320 megs of professional photography shots)

Do I need to set up an FTP account or something? Or do I just change the permissions on the folder?

I have no idea how to do this, and any help would be appreciated!

BTW: I'm in the UK, and I've got a Tibook with 10.3.9, and acces the net through APE and a cable modem. My brother is in South Africa, and accesses the net via a Linksys Wireless router and ADSL, WinXP / Ubuntu Linux.

Thanks in advance!

Jacques.
2012 Macbook Pro 13" 8GB Ram 250GB SSD
2010 5,1 Dual 2.93 Ghz 6 core Mac Pro 48GB Ram 250GB SD, 2x 1Tb HD, 1x 320GB HD, GTX970 Black Edition

Halfloaf  (op)
Dec 11, 2005, 05:28 PM

Not to worry...Figured it out.

Am using Pure FTPd Manager as the FTP daemon. I had to connect my cable modem directly to the Ti's ethernet port as I couldn't use the IP address assigned through APE for some reason.

Jacques
2010 5,1 Dual 2.93 Ghz 6 core Mac Pro 48GB Ram 250GB SD, 2x 1Tb HD, 1x 320GB HD, GTX970 Black Edition

ghporter
Administrator
Dec 11, 2005, 06:25 PM

You couldn't use the APE-assigned IP because it's a non-routable, local-only address. This is a Good Thing because it makes it much harder for someone outside to break into your wired network. Make sure you disconnect that cable and go back to using AirPort! Your network will be safer.

I think your solution is probably the best one for occasional access. Otherwise you might do better to set up a web site-with tons of data to move frequently, that's probably the best way to go.

Glenn -----OTR/L, MOT, Tx

Halfloaf  (op)
Dec 12, 2005, 09:13 AM

Thanks for the note. The transfer is a once off thing, so I'll reconnect to my wireless once I'm done.

Thanks again.

-Jacques

Forum Links
Forum Rules