Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Consumer Hardware & Components > Is it possible to use a digital camera as webcam?

Is it possible to use a digital camera as webcam?
Dr.Michael
Jun 3, 2006, 01:13 PM

I want to buy a digital camera and thought also about a webcam for videoconferences.
Is it possible to combine this? Buy a digital camera that can also be used as webcam?

At least it is not easy to find a model that does the job. The salesperson at the shop where I asked this today looked at me as if I were ET. So may I asked here? Does anyone know if there is a camera model available that can also be used as a webcam? Maybe in combination with a separate software driver?

Apfhex
Mac Elite
Jun 3, 2006, 03:41 PM

I don't know of one. My Canon PowerShot can be attached with USB and set up such that you can see what you would normally see through the camera's LCD, inside an application, kind of like a webcam. But you can only do it for a few minutes before the camera gets really hot, and it drains the battery fast too. EDIT: and I don't think Canon's software lets you capture video from the camera this way, it merely acts as a remote of sorts for the camera.
( Last edited by Apfhex; Jun 3, 2006 at 06:51 PM. )
Mac OS X 10.5.0, Mac Pro 2.66GHz/2 GB RAM/X1900 XT, 23" ACD
esdesign

Dr.Michael  (op)
Jun 3, 2006, 06:12 PM

Thinking about this a little bit for myself I found this:

The new cameras have 6-8 megapixels. Too much.
Just assume a 2 MPixel camera (very old I know, but ...). They produce a 1600*1200 Pixel picture. Saved as jpeg it needs 3.8 MByte.
25 per second need 95 MByte per second = 7600 MBit/second.
What a pity. Even a 2 MPixel camera cannot be used as a webcam because usb2 (480 MBit) or firewire (400MBit) cannot handle it.

Hm, is there a cellphone that can be used as webcam?

mduell
Posting Junkie
Jun 3, 2006, 06:45 PM

None of the consumer-level cameras are going to feed you a full resolution, uncompressed image. Many of them are happy to act as a 640x480 (true, not Apple's upscaling garbage) web camera in Windows, and I assume some would work with OSX.

ginoledesma
Mac Elite
Jun 9, 2006, 01:58 AM

I think this may be manufacturer/model-dependent also. None of the Sony digital cameras I've owned allow it to be used as a webcam. An old Fuji FinePix camera I had had different "modes" when connected via USB, one of which allowed it to be a web cam.

On Mac OS X side, if Image Capture sees it, then it should be usable.

Dr.Michael  (op)
Jun 9, 2006, 04:44 AM

Originally Posted by ginoledesma
I think this may be manufacturer/model-dependent also. None of the Sony digital cameras I've owned allow it to be used as a webcam. An old Fuji FinePix camera I had had different "modes" when connected via USB, one of which allowed it to be a web cam.

Ah, this comes close.
If I understand this correctly, the camera needs a zoom to project the entire picture on a small fraction of the ccd (like 480*240) AND the ability to read out only this small fraction.
Or an algorithm to reduce the resolution of the ccd picture internally. But this would require a bit of processing power to create 25 pics/sec.
So it is extra effort.

I will have a look at Fuji and browse through the specs.
Anyone else?

IceEnclosure
Moderator Emeritus
Jun 10, 2006, 05:24 AM

Originally Posted by ginoledesma
if Image Capture sees it, in no way does it mean it can be used as a webcam.
ice

red rocket
Mac Elite
Jun 10, 2006, 06:24 AM

I've got this Digital Dream l'espion camera. It used to work as a still camera (via a driver from ioxperts,) and although that has stopped working for some reason or other, it's now natively recognised as a webcam by macam. Resolution's garbage, of course.

IIRC, there are quite a few mp4 video cameras out there these days that also have halfway decent still camera mode. I'd be surprised if one of those wouldn't fit the bill.

Halfloaf
Jun 10, 2006, 03:53 PM

Originally Posted by Dr.Michael
Ah, this comes close.
If I understand this correctly, the camera needs a zoom to project the entire picture on a small fraction of the ccd (like 480*240) AND the ability to read out only this small fraction.
Or an algorithm to reduce the resolution of the ccd picture internally. But this would require a bit of processing power to create 25 pics/sec.
So it is extra effort.

I will have a look at Fuji and browse through the specs.
Anyone else?
I have a Fuji FinePix 2800z and it has the 'webcam' mode, alas, it only works on Windows. No program I have tried on OS X sees the camera as a 'webcam'

-HL
2012 Macbook Pro 13" 8GB Ram 250GB SSD
2010 5,1 Dual 2.93 Ghz 6 core Mac Pro 48GB Ram 250GB SD, 2x 1Tb HD, 1x 320GB HD, GTX970 Black Edition

Forum Links
Forum Rules