Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > Team MacNN > Team MacNN Slipping in Rosetta

Team MacNN Slipping in Rosetta
Abecedaria
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Dec 2, 2006, 02:29 PM

We just got passed by Boinc Synergy and we're no longer in the top 10 either overall or daily. I fired up the XServe to help, but we'll need more than that to keep up. Are there any Intel Macs out there running Seti that could switch over to Rosetta? Any hope for a PPC optimized Rosetta worker? Altivec optimizations would kick some serious tushy if we could get them.

abc
( Last edited by Abecedaria; Dec 3, 2006 at 11:30 AM. )

imitchellg5
Posting Junkie
Dec 3, 2006, 01:28 PM

Your Macs need cheerleaders. I'll be the first to sign up. My iMac will help.

zombie67
Senior User
Dec 3, 2006, 02:19 PM

Now that all the SIMAP WUs have been slurped up (I got 264!), I'm focusing on getting to 1,000,000 before year end. I'll add 3000-4000/day more until then

Unfortunately, optimized applications aren't possible for Rosetta. Add to that, Macs (esp. PPC) don't do very well at Rosetta.

Abecedaria  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Dec 6, 2006, 11:56 PM

Good job folks, we're back in the daily top ten! Now all we need to do is stay there for another 148 days in order to overtake US Distributed.

still..... need.... more..... POWER!

We need you back, Mikkyo! Oh, and I'll probably be losing my XServe for a little while.

abc

legacyb4
Mac Elite
Dec 7, 2006, 01:52 AM

put some linkage up for the specific project where horsepower is needed and i'll see what i can throw at it as well

[edit] just tried signing up but neither Safari nor Firefox seems to complete the registration process. oh well...
( Last edited by legacyb4; Dec 7, 2006 at 02:04 AM. )
Macbook (Black) C2D/250GB/3GB | G5/1.6 250GBx2/2.0GB
Free Mobile Ringtone & Games Uploader | Flickr | Twitter

Abecedaria  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Dec 7, 2006, 03:15 AM

Originally Posted by legacyb4 View Post
put some linkage up for the specific project where horsepower is needed and i'll see what i can throw at it as well

[edit] just tried signing up but neither Safari nor Firefox seems to complete the registration process. oh well...
Rosetta Homepage:
Rosetta@home

Team MacNN sign-up page: Create an account

Sign up, then join Team MacNN. Rosetta is the second most popular "Boinc" client project, Seti being the first, and is a really worthy cause whose results can be used to cure a number of diseases. All the details are on the home page. From the FAQ: "Compelling mission, technology that could basically wipe out disease as we know it!"

Stats pages:
Team MacNN : Rosetta : Stats
stats.free-dc.org

Cheers!
abc

Fourth Horseman
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Dec 7, 2006, 09:57 PM

I've put Einstein@home on hold and re-tasked all my systems to spend 30% of their time on Rosetta@Home. Every little bit helps, I guess.
- Fourth Horseman -

zombie67
Senior User
Dec 8, 2006, 10:06 AM

Originally Posted by Fourth Horseman View Post
I've put Einstein@home on hold and re-tasked all my systems to spend 30% of their time on Rosetta@Home. Every little bit helps, I guess.
Good call. Einstein's down anyway....

macintologist
Professional Poster
Dec 10, 2006, 07:24 PM

My intel iMac will be off the rest of this month due to winter break. Sorry guys

macintologist
Professional Poster
Dec 10, 2006, 07:28 PM

Woah. How do you guys manage to get a rate of 2700????

Team MacNN : Rosetta : Stats : Active Members (Basic)

Abecedaria  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Dec 11, 2006, 01:01 AM

Originally Posted by macintologist View Post

You gotta love those Quad Xeons in the Mac Pros and new XServes, eh?

abc

lpmcclure
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Dec 17, 2006, 04:12 AM

Originally Posted by macintologist View Post

Originally Posted by Abecedaria View Post
You gotta love those Quad Xeons in the Mac Pros and new XServes, eh?

abc
Apparently on the other end of the performance scale, my 1.8 GHz G5 iMac is running Rosetta at 40% share 24x7 and gets a RAC for Rosetta of about 16 (yes, sixteen).
Computers belonging to lpmcclure

The poor performance of the Rosetta app on PPC has been discussed, for example in this Rosetta thread:
Speed of Rosetta app on PPC Macs
The note in this page for Rosetta Applications (above the table) appears to provide an explanation; it says
"Note: the Mac OS X (PPC) application is not optimized and will not fully utilize the PPC processor."
Apparently it is not considered a good use of resources to improve the PPC Rosetta app.

However, an RAC of 16 seems so poor by comparison that I have to wonder if I'm doing something wrong. If this about what I should expect? If yes, then it's really not efficient for this machine to work on Rosetta.

Rosetta introduced a new credit system which went live on August 23:
The new credit system explained

The team MacNN credit daily rate in Rosetta took a precipitous drop when Rosetta's new credit system went live (check out the (green) daily rate chart around August 23):
Team MacNN : Rosetta : Stats
I think the new credit system must have been especially hard on PPC machines.
Earlier in the year I was running 70% Rosetta and my Rosetta RAC was well over 100 as I recall.

This drop in the daily rate for Team MacNN, probably associated with the new credit system and the non-optimized PPC Rosetta app, could explain why Team MacNN is slipping in Rosetta.

Looking on the bright side, over the long run this should be self-correcting as new Intel-based Macs replace the PPC installed base. :-)

lpm

zombie67
Senior User
Dec 17, 2006, 04:44 AM

Originally Posted by lpmcclure View Post
Apparently on the other end of the performance scale, my 1.8 GHz G5 iMac is running Rosetta at 40% share 24x7 and gets a RAC for Rosetta of about 16 (yes, sixteen).
Computers belonging to lpmcclure
You did all the right research. I have a similar machine here, running a LOT more projects, yet has a RAC of 186:

http://setiathome.berkeley.edu/show_...hostid=2353775

Also, it gets about what it claims. So since you get much less than you claim, I suspect a *real* problem. If you don't get an answer here, be sure to post on the crunching forum at SETI.

Abecedaria  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Dec 17, 2006, 11:47 AM

Originally Posted by zombie67 View Post
You did all the right research. I have a similar machine here, running a LOT more projects, yet has a RAC of 186:

Computer summary

Also, it gets about what it claims. So since you get much less than you claim, I suspect a *real* problem. If you don't get an answer here, be sure to post on the crunching forum at SETI.
The superbench Mac client was resulting in unfairly high results. The correction was to normalize the results for the amount of actual work done rather than what a computer could "benchmark". So if you are running a superbench client, you will get much lower credit than what you claim. If you run a normal client, your credits should equal your claim.

As to why Zombie's machine get's a higher RAC than lpmcclure....

What the superbench client does show is that a PPC optimized worker for rosetta could have a huge impact for our team. I wish we could convince the Rosetta team to give us one...or at least allow someone to code one for them...

abc

ritzl
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Dec 18, 2006, 12:18 PM

FWIW, I am still running the superbench client on my G4 1.67 Powerbook with my request WU time set at 8 hrs. and noticed that the long duration WU's were getting about half the granted credit per CPU minute as the shorter duration WU's. So I switched to a 2 hr. target WU time.

I don't know if I'm giving the same benefit to humanity in the shorter WUs, but my sense is that my RAC seems to be rising

Forum Links
Forum Rules