Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Gaming > True Gaming

True Gaming
Mac User #001
Mac Elite
May 22, 2007, 11:21 AM

To put it straight, this is a bragging thread.

Post the stats of your computer, whether it be a Mac, Dell, Alienware, eMachines, Voodoo, homemade, or any other kind.

Feel free to add those extra gaming accessories.

Don't hold back when its time to talk about those intensive games that still don't play perfect at the highest settings on your PC.

Homemade
Motherboard- Not sure.
Ram- 2GB DDR2 800MHz Kingston
GPU- NVIDIA GeForce 8600 GTS
CPU- Intel Core 2 Duo 3.2 GHz
Monitor- I-INC CY199D 19" LCD
Extras- PC Recoil Game Pad
Speakers- Logitech speakers, don't know the specifics.
Chasis- XG Viper Red & Silver Chasis; LED screen displaying time, CPU temp, fan speeds, and a flashing Viper.
OS- Windows XP Home Edition
Intensive Games- F.E.A.R. (At Maximum settings and native 1280x1024 resolution, during intense fight scenes, it lags quite a bit, and when it auto saves, the game freezes for a few seconds)

Time for everyone else to show me how its done
( Last edited by Mac User #001; May 22, 2007 at 12:26 PM. )

©öñFü$íóÑ
Mac Enthusiast
May 22, 2007, 12:16 PM

I often wonder what kind of setup the programmers of FEAR have. It's like every time a video game company (generally speaking) comes out with a new game, they recommend something like a 24th century Holodeck to play the damned thing. Whatever happened to games that were really more about gameplay, control, and actual replay value?

Don't bully me, I got an Uzi... HOO-HAH!

Mac User #001  (op)
Mac Elite
May 22, 2007, 12:45 PM

Heh. I know what you mean. It doesn't take much to play F.E.A.R. I set everything to the lowest settings and did a test to see what kind of framerates I would get and nearly fell off the floor when I saw the gameplay! Absolutely horrible.
So uh, I take it you watch Star Trek?
Games like that are still around. Most games offer gameplay (somewhat), control, and a replay value (excluding FPS's), but since they've already got all this, the next step is graphics.

Peter
Addicted to MacNN
May 22, 2007, 12:47 PM

not a bad little setup can't believe you'd run Windows XP Home though.

2x Dual Core 3Ghz
4Gb Ram
2x ATI Radeon X1900 XT
3x 500Gb HDD
2x 16x DVDRW

Windows XP Pro.
we don't have time to stop for gas

Peter
Addicted to MacNN
May 22, 2007, 12:48 PM

oh, I have a 24" Dell LCD
it runs Supreme Commander on near full spec. Impressed?
we don't have time to stop for gas

Mac User #001  (op)
Mac Elite
May 22, 2007, 02:59 PM

Thanks
Yep, still Home. I had it way before I started upgrading my computer, and I stuck with it. It was just a pain every time it had to recognize new hardware again. I ended up rebooting it.
Impressive setup you have yourself. I almost went for 4GB of RAM, but because I only have 2 slots I didn't want to get rid of my previous 1GB to upgrade to 2 2GB's.
I forgot to add HDD's. A 120GB and a 20GB. Hehe. I wish I had more space. And as for the CD drives, one's a CDRW + DVDR and ones a CDRW + DVDRW. I don't know the speeds.
How do Crossfire or SLI linked video cards work? It doesn't increase graphic quality, does it? Only the speed, and it allows for more processing to be done. Like, lets say, a game required a minimum of a Radeon X2000, which I realize doesn't exist, but if it did, you would be unable to play that game right?

I definitely need a bigger screen... My 19" is small to what most people have.
I've never played Supreme Commander; I don't have it yet. But its on my list to get, definitely. And considering how new it is, I'm definitely impressed you've got it cranked up that much. I wonder how my system will fair with Halo 2 Vista.

P
May 22, 2007, 05:24 PM

Homebuilt rig, based on 965P-DS3.

C2D E6400, clocked at 3.2 GHZ or as high as I can be bothered with at the moment.
7950 GT
3 gig DDR2-800 RAM
120 gig Seagate Barracuda 7200.7 (yes, old and reused. Will upgrade when I get around to it)
Terratec Aureon DDL on order
37" LCD TV as the monitor
LG Home theater system as speakers
Logitech S530 wireless desktop
Samsung SATA DVD+-RW

Since the display only goes to 1366*768, it runs just about everything on max atm.

P
May 22, 2007, 05:27 PM

Originally Posted by ©öñFü$íóÑ View Post
Whatever happened to games that were really more about gameplay, control, and actual replay value?
They're released for Wii.

Agree 100% though - built the machine as an HTPC experiment, saw the 7950GT on offer somewhere and picked it up because I wanted to try Oblivion and I had the money. Usually I wouldn't have bothered.

Oblivion is nice though - not just the crazy great graphics.

highstakes
Senior User
May 22, 2007, 08:04 PM

Originally Posted by P View Post
They're released for Wii.
There are no games out for the Wii which has high replay value, but it will all change with SSB

Mac User #001  (op)
Mac Elite
May 24, 2007, 09:50 AM

Originally Posted by P View Post
Homebuilt rig, based on 965P-DS3.

C2D E6400, clocked at 3.2 GHZ or as high as I can be bothered with at the moment.
7950 GT
3 gig DDR2-800 RAM
120 gig Seagate Barracuda 7200.7 (yes, old and reused. Will upgrade when I get around to it)
Terratec Aureon DDL on order
37" LCD TV as the monitor
LG Home theater system as speakers
Logitech S530 wireless desktop
Samsung SATA DVD+-RW

Since the display only goes to 1366*768, it runs just about everything on max atm.
Wow. Thats a big screen. Its a shame it can only support 1366x768 though. It must be blurry, but huge!

Forum Links
Forum Rules