Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > iPhone, iPad & iPod > If it wasn't Activation, what would you complain about?

If it wasn't Activation, what would you complain about?
quiklee
Senior User
Jul 3, 2007, 02:30 AM

it seems there's always something to complain about . . . i'm just wondering if AT&T didn't mess up so hard with the activation, what would people have been complaining about the most . . . . . . it seems to me that Apple would have hit a home run if it wasn't for the Activation woes
I am part of Lakers Nation and love to buy Used Golf Clubs

::maroma::
Addicted to MacNN
Jul 3, 2007, 02:54 AM

There are plenty of people complaining about missing features. Personally, I love the thing. Its perfect for my needs, and its a pleasure to use. There are some features I would like to have, but I'm content to wait and see what Apple gives us in the near future as far as updates.

michaelb
Mac Elite
Jul 3, 2007, 04:51 AM

Unless sales drop off a cliff this week, I think with an opening weekend of half a million sales, they HAVE hit a home run, activation woes or not.

Seems to me though, they could even have made the latter aspect better by not pig-headedly disabling ALL the iPhone features until activated. Phone features, sure - no phone calls until activated.

But to not let people at least play music through it or browse their photo library during their 39 hour wait... that was just mean-spirited.

I guess Apple didn't want ANYONE buying it to use as a 5.9999th generation iPod. Well, damn, Apple, release the 6th gen iPod if that what you're worried about!

Since EBCDIC
Grizzled Veteran
Jul 3, 2007, 05:43 AM

Before getting to your question, let me echo previous posters' comments 'bout the mean-spirited vibe that accompanied the activation. AT&T had been given the opportunity of a corporate lifetime by Apple, a chance to shine in this highly-hyped event, and they blew it off like a high school stoner slacker.

Okay, vented. So, moving on to the question. There's not much (for me, at least) to truly complain about. There are long lists of features and UI tweaks I want, most of which have been cogently expressed across the boards. Some bug fixes; I can't seem to get events entered on the iPhone to be propagated back to iCal.

But all in all, it's been a heady few days, and I'm really happy to have been along for the ride. Thank you, Apple. Screw off, AT&T.
Since EBCDIC
Using Macs since they were Lisas.

Mrjinglesusa
Professional Poster
Jul 3, 2007, 08:57 AM

Originally Posted by Since EBCDIC View Post
Before getting to your question, let me echo previous posters' comments 'bout the mean-spirited vibe that accompanied the activation. AT&T had been given the opportunity of a corporate lifetime by Apple, a chance to shine in this highly-hyped event, and they blew it off like a high school stoner slacker.

Hardly. If over 500,000 people were trying to activate over a span of 2 days, there were going to be some hiccups. I read a report that maybe 2% of people had a problem activating. That means 98% had no problems. ANY company, in ANY industry would take a 98% success rate. AT&T didn't blow anything - the activation problems were bound to happen and actually lower than I would have thought considering the massive influx of new customers they had and people trying to activate with business accounts.

memory-minus
Senior User
Jul 3, 2007, 09:10 AM

I think the biggest problem was caused by people who were attempting to activate on business accounts which I blame both Apple and AT&T for not making clear other than (AFAIK) in the fine print. This was followed by a failure of the credit check system for some and porting woes for others. But yeah, as was stated above, any industry will take a 2% failure rate. People who had no problems and love their iPhone are far less vocal about it on the Internet than people who are stuck with a useless $600 phone that won't activate and they may have camped out for hours for. I can understand it's frustrating, but in my opinion the launch went as good as it would have with any other carrier.

Everyone has varying opinions about AT&T/Cingular and other cell carriers. The fact of the matter is people would bitch no matter which carrier partnered with Apple for the iPhone. Had it been Sprint, I would have nearly had a stroke. Other people love Sprint. This is why I take cell phone company opinions with a grain of salt. Everyone's experience is different and a lot of it has to do with the quality of the carrier's technology/towers/whatever in your area. I've been a perfectly happy AT&T customer for 4 years.

Forum Links
Forum Rules