Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Desktops > NEWBIE ALERT: Networking & Addon questions

NEWBIE ALERT: Networking & Addon questions
328iGuy
Dec 12, 2006, 11:22 AM

Hey

Well I just joined the MAC club and proud of it......but being my first MAC I have some simple questions I am hoping you experts can clear up for me without issue.

1. Can I use my external USB 2.0 250GB IDE drive? Does it need to be formatted specifically or is it fine in FAT32?

2. Can I use the integrated airport wireless card (iMac 17" Model) to hook up to my Linksys wireless router or do I NEED the Airport addon?

3. Once hooked up to my network, can it easily share files abck and forth with the other Windows XP based systems on the network?

Thanks a lot

JKT
Professional Poster
Dec 12, 2006, 04:19 PM

1. You can keep it FAT32 if you just want to use it for storage (if you are sharing it with a Windows PC for example), but it isn't the most efficient file system for OS X. If you aren't going to use it with Windows as well, I would recommend reformatting as HFS+ (the Mac disk format). If you are sharing with Windows, do not reformat as NTFS as OS X can't write to NTFS (it is only able to read it).

2. Yes, it will work with any wireless router using standard b or g networking. You don't need an Airport base station.

3. It should be able to but I have no experience setting such a network up.

328iGuy  (op)
Dec 12, 2006, 04:34 PM

Originally Posted by JKT View Post
1. You can keep it FAT32 if you just want to use it for storage (if you are sharing it with a Windows PC for example), but it isn't the most efficient file system for OS X. If you aren't going to use it with Windows as well, I would recommend reformatting as HFS+ (the Mac disk format). If you are sharing with Windows, do not reformat as NTFS as OS X can't write to NTFS (it is only able to read it).

2. Yes, it will work with any wireless router using standard b or g networking. You don't need an Airport base station.

3. It should be able to but I have no experience setting such a network up.
Thanks a lot!

It will have to be FAT32 as I want to interface with other Windows XP systems as well for accessibility. Unfortunately I just checked and the partition is currently formatted as NTFS argh, will have to move files off, reformat and move back.

Thanks!

C.A.T.S. CEO
Professional Poster
Dec 12, 2006, 04:39 PM

[quote=328iGuy;3237161]3. Once hooked up to my network, can it easily share files abck and forth with the other Windows XP based systems on the network?/quote]

Yes. go to Sys prefs > Sharing > check the box called "Windows Sharing"
Signature depreciated.

328iGuy  (op)
Dec 12, 2006, 04:44 PM

[QUOTE=C.A.T.S. CEO;3237650]
Originally Posted by 328iGuy View Post
3. Once hooked up to my network, can it easily share files abck and forth with the other Windows XP based systems on the network?/quote]

Yes. go to Sys prefs > Sharing > check the box called "Windows Sharing"
Thanks!

Forum Links
Forum Rules