Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > iPhone, iPad & iPod > Does the touch have audio-in hardware?

Does the touch have audio-in hardware?
Simon
Posting Junkie
Feb 11, 2008, 09:57 AM

I was recently thinking about getting a new 32 GB touch and I figured that once the SDK comes out for the iPhone and iPod touch we'll eventually see apps like Skype for these devices. But what about audio-in?

On the iPhone there's a built-in microphone, but what about the touch? I'm guessing there's none built-in, but what about using an iPhone headset (with built-in mic) or using a third-party headset? What about hooking up a microphone to the dock connector and using that? Ideas? How will Skype eventually work on the iPod touch?

Mastrap
Addicted to MacNN
Feb 11, 2008, 10:51 AM

The headphone plug in the touch is wired for sound in. Do a google on this, there are already mikes for the touch on the market and as long as you don't mind jailbreaking your touch you can play with a number of audio apps. I really hope that the next gen touch will come with bluetooth enabled. That, and a camera build in, would rock my (Skype) world.

Nodnarb
Mac Elite
Feb 11, 2008, 02:29 PM

I didn't know that.

So is the headphone jack the same as on the iPhone? So one could use skype on their iPod touch with the iPhone headsets (with the mic) plugged in? If so, that's awesome.

Simon  (op)
Posting Junkie
Feb 12, 2008, 01:31 PM

Great news. So basically once we get the SDK and Skype on the touch all we'll need to do is buy an iPhone headset and we're good to go?

imitchellg5
Posting Junkie
Feb 12, 2008, 08:31 PM

Originally Posted by Simon View Post
Great news. So basically once we get the SDK and Skype on the touch all we'll need to do is buy an iPhone headset and we're good to go?
Yeah, theoretically. It's gonna be pretty sweet when the SDK comes out.

rickey939
Addicted to MacNN
Feb 12, 2008, 10:55 PM

The SDK is going to rock the iPhone and iPod touch worlds.

Forum Links
Forum Rules