Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Consumer Hardware & Components > Speaker interference

Speaker interference
kill bill
Forum Regular
Feb 29, 2008, 02:07 AM

My external speakers pick up a tremendous amount of interference (radio and general static). It's not that noticeable when I have a movie or music playing, but its still there. Is this a problem with many speaker systems? Can it be fixed?

ghporter
Administrator
Feb 29, 2008, 08:15 AM

Your speakers apparently don't have shielded cables. Computers radiate a lot of electronic noise, and even though it's only radiated for a short distance, it can easily be picked up by unshielded wires. This is usually most obvious when you use external speakers that are meant for an iPod rather than a computer. More expensive, but higher quality, computer speakers should have shielded cables and thus be almost entirely immune to this problem.

Glenn -----OTR/L, MOT, Tx

AppleGirl1990
Dedicated MacNNer
Mar 2, 2008, 07:04 PM

Kill Bill, i was having the same problem as you. For years i would pick up crazy interference from my mobile phone and other devices. I knew my mobile was going to ring before it even knew. So I read online that i need to purchase 'protected' or 'shielded' cables for my speakers. But no posts recommended a good pair.

So, I did some research online and i decided to purchase the Bose' Computer MusicMonitor Speakers. They work perfectly. I get no static sounds at all. AND, they are kick ass speakers.

I highly recommend you purchase them. Silence is golden.
MAC PRO: Two 3.2GHz Quad-Core Intel Xeon 5400 processors
ATI Radeon HD 4870 with 512MB of GDDR5 memory
1600MHz, 64-bit dual independent frontside bus
16 Gigs (4x4) of 800MHz DDR2 memory

Cold Warrior
Mar 2, 2008, 07:10 PM

GSM phones are bad about giving off interference. Usually popping or morse-code sounds.

Forum Links
Forum Rules