Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > macOS > Downgrading OS

Downgrading OS
Tar_heel
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Aug 16, 2008, 06:18 PM

Right now I have a Macbook pro, coming from a Macbook. Im wanting to downgrade from leopard to tiger due to the fact my games don't play on Leopard. I've googled this and have found solutions but I figured you guys would be the best bet. Im still unsure about backing up my system. But I don't have anything important what so ever on this one considering its brand new. Anything I want to keep, Ill just throw on my flashdrive. But what do I need to go about downgrading? Thanks very much for any help
White Macbook | 2.0 Ghz | 1 Gig RAM
Xbox 360 | Halo 2 | GRAW 2 | Gears of War | PreO'd Halo 3 Limited

Chuckit
Clinically Insane
Aug 16, 2008, 06:21 PM

If you have all the stuff you want to keep backed up, the easiest thing would be to just stick in the Tiger DVD and do a clean install, then restore from your flash drive.
Chuck
___
"Instead of either 'multi-talented' or 'multitalented' use 'bisexual'."

Tar_heel  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Aug 16, 2008, 06:23 PM

Well, when I put the disk in to the do the install of Tiger, it would just restart over and over. I forgot to include that, sorry.
White Macbook | 2.0 Ghz | 1 Gig RAM
Xbox 360 | Halo 2 | GRAW 2 | Gears of War | PreO'd Halo 3 Limited

seanc
Moderator Emeritus
Aug 16, 2008, 08:59 PM

With a brand new Mac, you're stuck with the OS it comes with or higher. You can't go lower due to the needed drivers not being available in it for the new hardware. On a side note, that Tiger DVD will be PPC only.

ibook_steve
Aug 17, 2008, 04:36 AM

What game(s) don't work?

Steve
Celebrating 10 years and 4000 posts on MacNN!

analogika
Posting Junkie
Aug 17, 2008, 07:36 AM

Originally Posted by seanc View Post
On a side note, that Tiger DVD will be PPC only.
To clarify this: All commercially available install disks of Tiger were PowerPC ONLY - since all Intel machines already came with (machine-bound) Tiger install disks and thus nobody ever needed a system upgrade disk.

Another option would be to use the MacBook Install disk, which probably won't boot the MacBook Pro unless you hook the latter up to the MacBook in Firewire Target Disk Mode and install from the MacBook.

Or, you could use Disk Utility (booted from the MacBook Pro Install Disk) to clone your entire MacBook drive (via restore) to the MacBook Pro's internal drive - boot your MacBook into Firewire Target Disk Mode by holding down the "T" key on startup and hook it up to the MacBook Pro via Firewire cable to do this.

Unfortunately, both of these are also unlikely to work properly, as the older version probably lacks system components necessary to support the newer architecture in the MacBook Pro, but if you're desperate, it might be worth a shot.

Forum Links
Forum Rules