Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > iPhone, iPad & iPod > iPad=turd

iPad=turd (Page 3)
subego
Clinically Insane
Jul 5, 2010, 09:26 AM

Originally Posted by mattyb View Post
I didn't want to start a new thread, apologies if this is a bit of a digression. I'm very close to getting an iPad, and those that use it have convinced me 99%, but I'd like to know what you miss, stuff that the iPad cannot do.

Just for info what I use my iMac for :

CVs, letters, writing docs with Word usually, I suppose that I could use Pages.
Reading pdfs, chm files.
Playing music.
Watching films, documentaries with Quick Time or VLC.
Editing films made with camcorder in iMovie.
Spending far too much time trying to make my photos better with Aperture.
Surfing with Firefox.

Do you miss Flash? TBH I wouldn't have a clue which sites use Flash or not that I visit, so I don't know if its important for my browsing habits or not.
1) I haven't used Pages, but I know enough to say you'll need an external keyboard... Which I don't have either. Printing may be an issue. Also, as lame as this sounds, I understand the iPad version of Pages is only about 95% cross-compatible with the desktop version of itself. Mostly font issues (again, FWIU).

2) Not too bad for PDFs. You'll probably want the (cheap, only a dollar) app GoodReader to supplement the iBooks PDF support, which was only just released. Either way, the built in reader blows, and printing might be an issue here, just like with Pages.

3) It should be good, assuming you're used to headphones, or you don't have speakers attached to your computer. This is another thing I don't really use, but I do use Apple's Remote app to control the music on the desktop computer, which then gets shot via AirTunes to an Airport Express and plays music/radio/podcasts to the good speakers in the living room. If you have an Airport Express setup, this is spectacularly awesome.

4) If it's in the proper format (h.264) it's also spectacularly awesome, though it's not even close to VLC in terms of being a "Swiss Army Knife" viewer.

5) Dunno.

6) Dunno. I'd guess not ideal for this.

7) Safari on the iPad is probably one of it's best features. It's not perfect, but I'm very happy using it. If you use Firefox for the plugins though, you're out of luck.

I've missed flash twice. I needed hours of operation for a store, and their whole site was flash. I also felt like watching the whole of Zero Punctuation, which I couldn't do after I got through the dozen or so uploaded (presumably illegally) to YouTube.

mattyb
Addicted to MacNN
Jul 5, 2010, 09:35 AM

Cheers for the reply subego.

I'll have a look at Click2Flash Spheric, thanks.

I see that LogMeIn have an app for the iPad, so if I'm at home I could hopefully use VLC on the iMac and stream it to the iPad.

What seems more than probable is that people are going to be developing work-arounds for the areas in which the iPad is limited. TBH I didn't think that I could replace the iMac but it would be nice to not be at a desk using a screen and keyboard for even half the stuff that I do at home.

What about space? Anyone find that they should have gotten more storage or that 64G isn't enough?

driven
Addicted to MacNN
Jul 5, 2010, 09:43 AM

Do you miss Flash? TBH I wouldn't have a clue which sites use Flash or not that I visit, so I don't know if its important for my browsing habits or not.
I've only "missed" flash one time. I rarely even use it on my desktop though. (Other than for YouTube).

I occasionally run into someone who has an iPad (or wants one) but says "I need flash and I hate that it doesn't have it.". When pressed for a specfic reason they NEED flash (other than YouTube which has support on the iPad) I get ambiguous answers. This sort of tells me that it's more "trendy" to complain about the need for flash than to actually evaluate your needs.

Some people really DO need Flash, and a netbook might be better for those people. You can only decide for yourself what your needs are.
- MacBook Air M2 16GB / 512GB
- MacBook Pro 16" i9 2.4Ghz 32GB / 1TB
- MacBook Pro 15" i7 2.9Ghz 16GB / 512GB
- iMac i5 3.2Ghz 1TB
- G4 Cube 500Mhz / Shelf display unit / Museum display

subego
Clinically Insane
Jul 5, 2010, 10:08 AM

I have the 16GB and it's been puhlenty.

I could only see this changing in the short term if I wanted to store a bunch of videos on it.

Note though that I'm one of those people who is happy managing things every now and then. I'm okay only loading a gig or two worth of songs, etc. at a time and then swapping them out later rather than having my whole collection.

mattyb
Addicted to MacNN
Jul 5, 2010, 10:22 AM

I have the first iPod Touch at 32G. Its so old I can't upgrade the OS anymore. It has 80% of my music on it. I doubt that I'd use the iPad for listeneing to music thats stored on the iPad. We don't have a Pandora type service yet in France, Deezer is trying but its pants.

I've got loads of pdfs that I'd want to keep on it, probably quite a few photos as well. Since I'm not a road warrior for more than a day or so, I could always replenish video stuff frequently. I doubt that I'd get the 3G version, the only time that I'd be away from Wi-fi is on holiday and the 3G service is crap where I go

subego
Clinically Insane
Jul 5, 2010, 11:26 AM

Makes total sense. I only have music and podcasts on the iPad as an emergency, which I have yet to use. If I'm mobile, I'm going to use my phone for listening.

I should say though, my storage habits have been influenced by this. Until four days ago, I've been using an 8GB 1st gen iPhone, which I tried to keep only half-full. The 16GB on the iPad feels really spacious. The 32GB on my new iPhone is positively cavernous. I can't even think of what to do with 64GB on a mobile device as a normal user. This is even a year or two out, which I expect is about the max you'll be able to get before it's effectively been made obsolete.

Still, unless you're talking over 4 or 5GB of PDFs to start with, and another 4 or 5GB of photos, I'd seriously consider the 16 or the 32 model. I don't think getting the most space you can afford is the hard and fast rule it used to be, at least if you're following the one to two year upgrade path they seem to want you to take.
( Last edited by subego; Jul 5, 2010 at 11:46 AM. )

besson3c
Clinically Insane
Jul 5, 2010, 12:48 PM

I have the first iPod Touch at 32G. Its so old I can't upgrade the OS anymore.

I sure hope this doesn't become a new precedent. The first iPod touch came out in Fall 2007, which means you've had it for less than 3 years. I also hope that the general public is less than passive in Apple pushing the envelope of planned obsolescence.
( Last edited by besson3c; Jul 5, 2010 at 01:00 PM. )

Phileas
Mac Elite
Jul 5, 2010, 02:09 PM

Originally Posted by besson3c View Post
I sure hope this doesn't become a new precedent. The first iPod touch came out in Fall 2007, which means you've had it for less than 3 years. I also hope that the general public is less than passive in Apple pushing the envelope of planned obsolescence.
Little to do with planned obsolescence and everything with the breakneck speed mobile devices are developing. You can't run the new OS on old devices because the hardware doesn't support it.

Apple is traditionally pretty good about keeping old warhorses running.

Phileas
Mac Elite
Jul 5, 2010, 02:17 PM

Cheers for the reply subego.

I'll have a look at Click2Flash Spheric, thanks.

I see that LogMeIn have an app for the iPad, so if I'm at home I could hopefully use VLC on the iMac and stream it to the iPad.

What seems more than probable is that people are going to be developing work-arounds for the areas in which the iPad is limited. TBH I didn't think that I could replace the iMac but it would be nice to not be at a desk using a screen and keyboard for even half the stuff that I do at home.

What about space? Anyone find that they should have gotten more storage or that 64G isn't enough?

Matt

I consider dropbox a must have app for the iPad. It's like the file finder that never was. Pages opens and edits files stored in dropbox, so does Keynote. Also, there are rumours that google docs will work on the iPad in the near future.

Video: If you have videos stored on a Mac Mini or similar, just install Air Video on the iPad. It streams your content to the iPad, even converts it on the fly if the original format isn't iPad supported. I use it to watch shows on the porch in the evening. It works incredibly well.

Pandora, a good VPN solution will sort that problem. strongvpn.com charges $50 a year for a fast, reliable and unmetered service.

I've got the 64 model and it's nowhere near maxed. I think I am somewhere around the 10GB mark.

besson3c
Clinically Insane
Jul 5, 2010, 03:28 PM

Originally Posted by Phileas View Post
Little to do with planned obsolescence and everything with the breakneck speed mobile devices are developing. You can't run the new OS on old devices because the hardware doesn't support it.

Yes, they get a little more slack for this (and this gives more reason to not be the first guy on your block with these new gadgets), but how long should they be able to claim this? What is the precedent?

I know this is not just an Apple thing, I know that it's routine to change cell phones every other week, one more thing I hate about the cell phone market.

vickster
Forum Regular
Jul 5, 2010, 03:53 PM

I'm finally getting my "turd" tomorrow - a lightly used 64GB 3G model w/ case and dock. I've figured 32GB was enough but could never find a 32GB 3G model I was happy with on the pre-owned market. Still, I'm getting a pretty good deal. You know, for a turd and all...

subego
Clinically Insane
Jul 5, 2010, 04:02 PM

and this gives more reason to not be the first guy on your block with these new gadgets
I think it's the opposite. Things are getting upgraded so quickly the "early adopter" phase is now a significant percentage of the product's life-cycle.

I got my iPad at launch, despite Apple's horrible reputation for QA issues with launch devices, because assuming I didn't get a broken one, I'd get the maximum amount of utility out of my investment.

If I wait, I'm just shortening the amount of time between purchase and when it feels poky trying to accommodate new features, more ambitious software, etc.

besson3c
Clinically Insane
Jul 5, 2010, 04:13 PM

Originally Posted by subego View Post
I think it's the opposite. Things are getting upgraded so quickly the "early adopter" phase is now a significant percentage of the product's life-cycle.

I got my iPad at launch, despite Apple's horrible reputation for QA issues with launch devices, because assuming I didn't get a broken one, I'd get the maximum amount of utility out of my investment.

If I wait, I'm just shortening the amount of time between purchase and when it feels poky trying to accommodate new features, more ambitious software, etc.

Maybe you're right, at least WRT cell phones and the iPod Touch.

I'm just rather grumpy, skeptical, and a curmudgeon about these sorts of gadgets in general. I just know too many people that are so locked into the "new, gotta have it" thing, and I guess I'm sort of partially jealous of people that can plunk down money so impulsively and with so little research done in advance. I'm not saying that this applies to anybody in here in particular, but I think this has made me a little reactionary and a little more skeptical in general. Then again, skepticism is probably a good thing when it comes to keeping Apple in check. They have a long history of persuasive marketing overshadowing the actual realities of their products.

mattyb
Addicted to MacNN
Jul 5, 2010, 05:04 PM

Matt

I consider dropbox a must have app for the iPad. It's like the file finder that never was. Pages opens and edits files stored in dropbox, so does Keynote. Also, there are rumours that google docs will work on the iPad in the near future.
I love dropbox for the home/work stuff, but from what I understand apps don't store their files centrally, so (for example) your pdf reader may or may not be able to see the dropbox folder. But its another plus for sure.

Video: If you have videos stored on a Mac Mini or similar, just install Air Video on the iPad. It streams your content to the iPad, even converts it on the fly if the original format isn't iPad supported. I use it to watch shows on the porch in the evening. It works incredibly well.
Excellent, very cool.

Pandora, a good VPN solution will sort that problem. strongvpn.com charges $50 a year for a fast, reliable and unmetered service.
You'll get me arrested.

I've got the 64 model and it's nowhere near maxed. I think I am somewhere around the 10GB mark.
I've probably got about 4 or 5G of pdfs and docs that I'd want to keep on the iPad all the time, the other stuff would get 'rotated'. Then of course there are the games that I'd buy. I'd kick myself if I ran out of space, but then the 64G is only another 100€ more than the 32G.

turtle777
Clinically Insane
Jul 5, 2010, 09:20 PM

You'll get me arrested.
Say what ?

-t

Wiskedjak
Posting Junkie
Jul 5, 2010, 09:25 PM

When has the general public ever *not* been passive about Apple pulling a crappy move? The iPhone4 reception issue is the closest I've ever seen to Apple not getting a free pass, and even then we have people saying it's perfectly fine if you stick a piece of tape over the problem area.

Wiskedjak
Posting Junkie
Jul 5, 2010, 09:34 PM

I got the 32GB 3G (the 3G SIM will likely spend much of it's time in my iPhone, but I wanted the GPS). Can't imagine I'll ever come anywhere near close to filling it up, but I could never get to the store soon enough to get a 16GB. Maybe I'll start shooting my weddings 100% RAW and use the iPad to take the pressure off my memory cards.

driven
Addicted to MacNN
Jul 5, 2010, 10:18 PM

Sometimes its for your own good. A friend of mine with an iPhone 3G (not 3Gs) claims that the iOS4 upgrade made his phone so slow that he wished that Apple just made his device obsolete.

Mobile Tech is moving at breakneck speeds. MUCH faster than desktop technology.
- iMac i5 3.2Ghz 1TB

mattyb
Addicted to MacNN
Jul 6, 2010, 03:21 AM

Originally Posted by turtle777 View Post
Say what ?
Google "French internet censorship" and you'll get an idea.

Originally Posted by Wiskedjak View Post
I got the 32GB 3G (the 3G SIM will likely spend much of it's time in my iPhone, but I wanted the GPS). Can't imagine I'll ever come anywhere near close to filling it up, but I could never get to the store soon enough to get a 16GB. Maybe I'll start shooting my weddings 100% RAW and use the iPad to take the pressure off my memory cards.
I presume that you cannot just 'store' the RAW files on the iPad. If you could get them into Dropbox that would be really cool.

Phileas
Mac Elite
Jul 6, 2010, 06:56 AM

Google "French internet censorship" and you'll get an idea.

I presume that you cannot just 'store' the RAW files on the iPad. If you could get them into Dropbox that would be really cool.
A VPN is not illegal to use. Fact is, people should use one anytime they use public Wifi, but hardly anybody does. And as all VPN traffic is encrypted by definition they have no idea what you're doing with your data. I doubt very much that listening to music would be illegal, even in France.
Remember, you're not downloading, you're streaming.

Images, with the iPad card reader, that's exactly what you can do, store your pics on the iPad, the transfer to your Mac later.

Spheric Harlot
Clinically Insane
Jul 6, 2010, 07:01 AM

A VPN is not illegal to use. Fact is, people should use one anytime they use public Wifi, but hardly anybody does. And as all VPN traffic is encrypted by definition they have no idea what you're doing with your data. I doubt very much that listening to music would be illegal, even in France.
Remember, you're not downloading, you're streaming.
Streaming audio is broadcast.

The streaming service is the one with the problem, not the listener - Pandora's broadcast licensing for all music it plays is most definitely tied to clear regional limitations (which is why it's not available in Europe).

If they stream outside of the contractually defined regions, they're in breach of contract.

If you use technical means to cloak your location, you're still forcing them into a breach of contract.

However, I doubt that it's illegal to do so, even in France.

ghporter
Administrator
Jul 6, 2010, 07:09 AM

Isn't there another qualification for something to be broadcast? Like "multiple receivers?" If I stream from one point-my Mac-to another, single point-my amp-is that "broadcast?" I don't think so. If I stream any data via a VPN, it should go to a single destination, not multiple destinations, so to me that is a big difference from "broadcasting" anything.

Glenn -----OTR/L, MOT, Tx

Spheric Harlot
Clinically Insane
Jul 6, 2010, 07:32 AM

Whatever you want to call it - "Unauthorized duplication, broadcast, and distribution prohibited" is what it says on every physical medium.

Pandora has licensing agreements. They probably pay per stream, and are limited to distribution (or broadcast) within a certain region. That's the terms of their license. If they don't take due care that those license terms are upheld in their daily service, they breach the contract and can basically pack up their stuff and go home.

mattyb
Addicted to MacNN
Jul 6, 2010, 11:17 AM

Images, with the iPad card reader, that's exactly what you can do, store your pics on the iPad, the transfer to your Mac later.
Sorry to be picky on this, but if I have RAW (NEF) files on my SD card, I can then save the RAW files on the iPad and then transfer them to an iMac at a later time? Or are the RAW files processed by iPhoto for iPad ?

-Q-
Jul 6, 2010, 11:29 AM

Sorry to be picky on this, but if I have RAW (NEF) files on my SD card, I can then save the RAW files on the iPad and then transfer them to an iMac at a later time? Or are the RAW files processed by iPhoto for iPad ?
If anyone hasn't answered this by the time I get home from work, I can shoot a couple of shots with my Nikon in RAW and let you know. The spec page on the Apple Store indicates RAW is supported, but I don't know if the Photos app does any processing to the images or just pulls them in as is.

mattyb
Addicted to MacNN
Jul 6, 2010, 11:44 AM

If you could also test a transfer back to your Mac afterwards, it would be appreciated Q.

Phileas
Mac Elite
Jul 6, 2010, 12:24 PM

mattyb
Addicted to MacNN
Jul 6, 2010, 03:26 PM

Cheers.

Now, where's Q with that testing?

-Q-
Jul 6, 2010, 03:33 PM

Cheers.

Now, where's Q with that testing?
Still at work without a camera that shoots RAW. Work in US Eastern time, so you still have about 3 hours to go.

-Q-
Jul 6, 2010, 09:34 PM

The Photos app on the iPad does not appear to do any processing to the RAW photos at all. There is no difference between the files pulled straight from the Nikon versus the files that were imported to the iPad first, and then imported into Adobe's Lightroom 2 (and Lightroom saw the iPad as an import source without issue).

And those images look outstanding on the iPad. This will definitely make as a good photo storage/proofing tool.

Shaddim
Clinically Insane
Jul 7, 2010, 12:06 AM

Originally Posted by msuper69 View Post
WTF are you talking about?

Carrying around an iPad is totally different (and better) than toting around any kind of notebook, including Apple's own MBA.

Access to content via the iPad is instantaneous while you at least have to lift the lid on a notebook and wake it up (this assumes a Mac-In my experience, Windows machines still don't wake from sleep reliably). It may seem like a small difference but that is one of the defining characteristics of the iPad. The difference in weight is also a huge factor. If you think the iPad is too heavy, time for some pull-ups.
I have an SSD (OCZ Agility 2 w/ Sandforce chip) in my MBP, it wakes from sleep pretty ****ing fast.

Yeah, the iPad is too damned heavy to be a daily reader, not for 4-6 hours at a stretch (it's 3x heavier than most ebook readers). It's also too big to fit in a jacket pocket, unlike my B&N Nook. I don't need a portable web browsing appliance, my iPhone is fine for that when I'm on the go.

It's funny how defensive the iPad apologists get when you put down the device. Listen, it needs to be smaller, lighter, and thinner. Get rid of all that shitty bezel and it'll improve. Right now ours is sitting on the coffee table. My wife thought it was neat for a week or so, and now it's almost forgotten.

THAT's what I'm talking about.
"Those who expect to reap the blessings of freedom must, like men, undergo the fatigue of supporting it."
- Thomas Paine

imitchellg5
Posting Junkie
Jul 7, 2010, 12:11 AM

The iPad will be a much more useful device IMHO after 4.0.

driven
Addicted to MacNN
Jul 7, 2010, 12:15 AM

Originally Posted by Shaddim View Post
I have an SSD (OCZ Agility 2 w/ Sandforce chip) in my MBP, it wakes from sleep pretty ****ing fast.

Yeah, the iPad is too damned heavy to be a daily reader, not for 4-6 hours at a stretch (it's 3x heavier than most ebook readers). It's also too big to fit in a jacket pocket, unlike my B&N Nook. I don't need a portable web browsing appliance, my iPhone is fine for that when I'm on the go.

It's funny how defensive the iPad apologists get when you put down the device. Listen, it needs to be smaller, lighter, and thinner. Get rid of all that shitty bezel and it'll improve. Right now ours is sitting on the coffee table. My wife thought it was neat for a week or so, and now it's almost forgotten.

THAT's what I'm talking about.
It's funny how some folks assume that everyone has the same needs.

In all seriousness: If the device works for you, but it. If it doesn't, move on and wait until something else does.

If enough people find the device usable then development will continue. (Such as the iPhone). If enough people do NOT find it useful then development will stop. (G4 Cube) It's really not much more complex than that.
- iMac i5 3.2Ghz 1TB

Shaddim
Clinically Insane
Jul 7, 2010, 12:22 AM

Originally Posted by imitchellg5 View Post
The iPad will be a much more useful device IMHO after 4.0.
and after it sheds half a pound, loses 1.5" of bezel, and they get rid of the stupid bulge in the back.
"Those who expect to reap the blessings of freedom must, like men, undergo the fatigue of supporting it."
- Thomas Paine

Shaddim
Clinically Insane
Jul 7, 2010, 12:23 AM

Originally Posted by driven View Post
It's funny how some folks assume that everyone has the same needs.

In all seriousness: If the device works for you, but it. If it doesn't, move on and wait until something else does.

If enough people find the device usable then development will continue. (Such as the iPhone). If enough people do NOT find it useful then development will stop. (G4 Cube) It's really not much more complex than that.
Apple are the ones claiming that it's "the only tablet appliance you'll need". Wow, are they off the mark.
- Thomas Paine

driven
Addicted to MacNN
Jul 7, 2010, 12:28 AM

Apple are the ones claiming that it's "the only tablet appliance you'll need". Wow, are they off the mark.
How so? It's marketing. For some it will be true. For others it won't be.

Some obnoxious guy on TV told me that I couldn't live without a slapchop. I can. I'm sure others find it the best thing since the ginsu.

I don't make unilateral judgements about everyone's needs. (Unless I was trying to sell you something).
- iMac i5 3.2Ghz 1TB

-Q-
Jul 7, 2010, 12:29 AM

In your case. In others, it works quite well. It replaces my laptop on most business trips now. And I read with it for well over 5 hours this past weekend, so I don't see the weight issues you're complaining about. But obviously, you've found an eReader that works for you. Maybe there'll be another tablet out that will suit your life better.

Shaddim
Clinically Insane
Jul 7, 2010, 12:39 AM

How so? It's marketing. For some it will be true. For others it won't be.

Some obnoxious guy on TV told me that I couldn't live without a slapchop. I can. I'm sure others find it the best thing since the ginsu.

I don't make unilateral judgements about everyone's needs. (Unless I was trying to sell you something).
I'll stop when the marketers and fanboys stop telling me that "it's all I'll need". It's far from a perfect device, I have one (went and got it and I'm looking at it right now) and I can tell you that it needs a healthy dose of Slimfast, a display that's easier on the eyes for extended reading, and a lot less bezel. Maybe a revision will fix it. If they do with it what they just did with the iPhone, then they'll be half the way there.

Originally Posted by -Q- View Post
In your case. In others, it works quite well. It replaces my laptop on most business trips now. And I read with it for well over 5 hours this past weekend, so I don't see the weight issues you're complaining about. But obviously, you've found an eReader that works for you. Maybe there'll be another tablet out that will suit your life better.
I doubt it was 5 hours at a stretch, otherwise your eyes would be hurting. When color e-ink is out, and if they move to it, then they'll have something.

Edit: Pickup a Kindle or a nook and see the difference in weight, it'll astonish you.
- Thomas Paine

-Q-
Jul 7, 2010, 12:56 AM

I doubt it was 5 hours at a stretch, otherwise your eyes would be hurting. When color e-ink is out, and if they move to it, then they'll have something.

Edit: Pickup a Kindle or a nook and see the difference in weight, it'll astonish you.
I'm sorry, are you telling me what I did this weekend? Here, let me be clear: I read for over 5 hours straight Saturday. At the end, I didn't have a headache, nor any eyestrain.

And I have picked them up. They're fine devices, but not terribly suited for my needs.

driven
Addicted to MacNN
Jul 7, 2010, 01:05 AM

I'll stop when the marketers and fanboys stop telling me that "it's all I'll need". It's far from a perfect device, I have one (went and got it and I'm looking at it right now) and I can tell you that it needs a healthy dose of Slimfast, a display that's easier on the eyes for extended reading, and a lot less bezel. Maybe a revision will fix it. If they do with it what they just did with the iPhone, then they'll be half the way there.
I'll stop now even though you are telling me that I obviously don't need a device that suits me quite nicely. Thank you.
- iMac i5 3.2Ghz 1TB

Shaddim
Clinically Insane
Jul 7, 2010, 01:15 AM

I'm sorry, are you telling me what I did this weekend? Here, let me be clear: I read for over 5 hours straight Saturday. At the end, I didn't have a headache, nor any eyestrain.

And I have picked them up. They're fine devices, but not terribly suited for my needs.
It's not healthy for your eyes if you did, bad idea. LCDs just aren't good for that type of thing.

Also, if you didn't notice the huge weight difference, I really don't know what to say.

I'll stop now even though you are telling me that I obviously don't need a device that suits me quite nicely. Thank you.
I did? Where? Quite frankly, I'm surprised that I can't give an informed, hands-on opinion of the thing without drawing so much drama. I know that people love to defend their purchases, but c'mon guys. Surely you can see how the thing could be better, you aren't blind. Every one of my points is valid, and has been made by professional reviewers who usually love Apple stuff.
- Thomas Paine

driven
Addicted to MacNN
Jul 7, 2010, 01:19 AM

It's not healthy for your eyes if you did, bad idea. LCDs just aren't good for that type of thing.

Also, if you didn't notice the huge weight difference, I really don't know what to say.
Quick! Tell the developers to stop using their computer monitors!
Crap, after 20+ years of CRTs/LCDs, I must be blind.

This is just getting silly now.
- iMac i5 3.2Ghz 1TB

Shaddim
Clinically Insane
Jul 7, 2010, 01:32 AM

Quick! Tell the developers to stop using their computer monitors!
Crap, after 20+ years of CRTs/LCDs, I must be blind.

This is just getting silly now.
Yes, it's quite silly, I'm being attacked for giving facts. Your snarky comments aside, E-ink is superior for extended reading.
- Thomas Paine

driven
Addicted to MacNN
Jul 7, 2010, 01:54 AM

Yes, it's quite silly, I'm being attacked for giving facts. Your snarky comments aside, E-ink is superior for extended reading.
How did you get attacked, exactly? Please explain.
- iMac i5 3.2Ghz 1TB

Shaddim
Clinically Insane
Jul 7, 2010, 02:11 AM

Being told I need to work out when I mention that the iPad is too heavy? For what it is, it shouldn't weigh more than a pound. Compared to real ebook readers, it's a pig.
- Thomas Paine

driven
Addicted to MacNN
Jul 7, 2010, 02:19 AM

Being told I need to work out when I mention that the iPad is too heavy? For what it is, it shouldn't weigh more than a pound. Compared to real ebook readers, it's a pig.
That's not an attack. Seriously, it's not.

You tend to state your opinion as universal fact, while others (myself included) have been stating our opinions. You seem to have an issue dealing with the fact that others opinions may differ. (Just to be clear, that's also not an attack.)
- iMac i5 3.2Ghz 1TB

Spheric Harlot
Clinically Insane
Jul 7, 2010, 02:27 AM

Have you noticed that you're basically implying that the iPad is defective (it needs "fixing"), and thus insinuating that people who enjoy the iPad because it fits their needs are too stupid to notice that their iPads are broken and unusable?

No, I didn't think so.

Well, you are.

The iPad doesn't need Slimfast; you just bought the wrong device.

Shaddim
Clinically Insane
Jul 7, 2010, 02:59 AM

Originally Posted by Spheric Harlot View Post
Have you noticed that you're basically implying that the iPad is defective (it needs "fixing"), and thus insinuating that people who enjoy the iPad because it fits their needs are too stupid to notice that their iPads are broken and unusable?

No, I didn't think so.

Well, you are.

The iPad doesn't need Slimfast; you just bought the wrong device.
I'm not saying it's defective (put words in my mouth will ya), but it is a half-assed product that should have seen a couple more engineering revisions before it saw the light of day. Unfortunately, there are too many Apple fanatics out there who are willing to buy anything they sell, largely due to the fantastic success of the iPhone and iPod. Are they stupid? No, just caught up in moment.

And to be clear, I didn't buy it, my wife did. If it had been my decision I would have left it at the Apple store. Now we have a nice paper weight. Not that I care very much, it's not that expensive, but it could have been so much better.
- Thomas Paine

Shaddim
Clinically Insane
Jul 7, 2010, 03:02 AM

That's not an attack. Seriously, it's not.

You tend to state your opinion as universal fact, while others (myself included) have been stating our opinions. You seem to have an issue dealing with the fact that others opinions may differ. (Just to be clear, that's also not an attack.)
Pfftt, I said less than that and you're crying to me over it. You're entitled to your opinion, but I do believe you're more than a little biased due to Apple's song and dance they used to promote the thing.
- Thomas Paine

mattyb
Addicted to MacNN
Jul 7, 2010, 04:28 AM

The Photos app on the iPad does not appear to do any processing to the RAW photos at all. There is no difference between the files pulled straight from the Nikon versus the files that were imported to the iPad first, and then imported into Adobe's Lightroom 2 (and Lightroom saw the iPad as an import source without issue).

And those images look outstanding on the iPad. This will definitely make as a good photo storage/proofing tool.
Excellent news. I hope that Aperture behaves the same. Thankyou for the testing.

Forum Links
Forum Rules