Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Desktops > Video cards and RAM

Video cards and RAM
RMD
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Feb 16, 2006, 04:45 AM

I have a dual 2GHZ G5 with 3G's of RAM. I was thinking of bumping it up to 4 GB. Does it matter if I use a generic cheaper type of RAM? I have a Lacie firewire 800 external. And I keep dropping frames on FCP HD. Someone told me that I might want to get an internal HD. Will this make my computer too hot. Do they make some kind of secondary cooling unit I can add. Lastly, I have a Radeon 9600 w/64MB of RAM. I mostly use FCP but have started using Motion 2. Should I upgrade video cards and if so what is the best one out there now for editing and simple animation.

mduell
Posting Junkie
Feb 16, 2006, 09:27 PM

You can buy cheap generic RAM. It may work fine, or it may causes crashes, freezes, kernel panics, and/or not booting at all.
Another internal drive will not make your Mac overheat.
Yes, upgrading your video card is a good idea for Motion.

bowwowman
Mac Elite
Feb 17, 2006, 08:01 AM

Just be sure to get your ram from somewhere that:

A) Guarentees compatibility w/ your machine
B) Has a lifetime warranty, w/ a no-questions-asked-shipping-paid-return policy

I recommend www.datamem.com and/or www.macsales.com.

And yes, you need a much better video card AND a very large, fast HDD for FCP HD & Motion, and NO, they wont make your machine too hot.

The card you can use will depend on the actual version of G5 you have, but look for the higher end Radeons, 9800 and up. HDD's you can find just about everywhere, just has to be SATA and LOTSA GB's
Personally I find it hilarious that you have the hots for my gramma. Especially seeins how she is 3x your age, and makes your Brittney-Spears-wannabe 30-something wife look like a rag doll who went thru WWIII with a burning stick of dynamite up her a** :)

RMD  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Feb 20, 2006, 11:25 PM

I appreciate the help. I ended up buying some PNY memory (2GB of PC3200 for $125) at Fry's. I just could'nt pass that up. What symptoms should I look for to see if the RAM I bought is not compatible or slowing my system down. As far as the video card brand you recommended, is there a particular reason you recommended Radeon as appossed to NVIDIA. And finally do you think my using an external Firewire 800 Lacie is the reason I am dropping frames in FCP 5 and the reason I have to render all the video I capture to it since it is my scratch disk? Would the internal solve this issue? Preesh.

RMD  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Feb 21, 2006, 08:06 PM

Originally Posted by bowwowman
Just be sure to get your ram from somewhere that:

A) Guarentees compatibility w/ your machine
B) Has a lifetime warranty, w/ a no-questions-asked-shipping-paid-return policy

I recommend www.datamem.com and/or www.macsales.com.

And yes, you need a much better video card AND a very large, fast HDD for FCP HD & Motion, and NO, they wont make your machine too hot.

The card you can use will depend on the actual version of G5 you have, but look for the higher end Radeons, 9800 and up. HDD's you can find just about everywhere, just has to be SATA and LOTSA GB's
I appreciate the help. I ended up buying some PNY memory (2GB of PC3200 for $125) at Fry's. I just could'nt pass that up. What symptoms should I look for to see if the RAM I bought is not compatible or slowing my system down. As far as the video card brand you recommended, is there a particular reason you recommended Radeon as appossed to NVIDIA. And finally do you think my using an external Firewire 800 Lacie is the reason I am dropping frames in FCP 5 and the reason I have to render all the video I capture to it since it is my scratch disk? Would the internal solve this issue? Preesh.

Cincojoe
Dedicated MacNNer
Mar 4, 2006, 01:38 PM

how has your PNY ram been working out? I'm in the same boat and need to upgrade some ram as well.
Power Mac 2.0 with 4GB RAM

PixelBurst
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Mar 4, 2006, 04:44 PM

I've had good luck with my generic RAM purchases from 18004memory.com. Both my dual 2ghz G5 and 15" AI Powerbook have had zero problems since the upgrades.

RMD  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Mar 6, 2006, 04:27 PM

I guess it's working OK. I have never had 4 gigs of the expensive stuff, so I would'nt know what to compare it to. My computer sees the RAM and it's working so I guess you can't beat that, especially since I got a PNY 2GB ( 2- 1 gig chips) kit at Fry's for $179 w/ a $45 mail in rebate. Your not going to find a better deal anywhere else.

Cincojoe
Dedicated MacNNer
Mar 6, 2006, 11:12 PM

I got a Kingston's 2GB kit at Fry's this weekend too for 179.00. Seems to be working.
Power Mac 2.0 with 4GB RAM

mountainash
Forum Regular
Mar 24, 2006, 12:53 PM

Put in another SATA drive. 300Gb is probably a good size at the moment ($/Gb). For graphics, you have a core image enabled card, but it is probably the slowest core image card. ati radeon 9600XT and 9650 are a bit faster, 9800pro or 9800XT are noticably faster, nVidia 6600 and 6800 are noticably faster, nvidia geforce 7800 and quadro fx 4500 are much faster. Also good is Ati radeon x600, x800 and x850.

phew, there's a lot of gfx cards for the G5!
Power Mac G4 Digital Audio 533MHz 1.5GiB RAM, 2x 80Gb ATA HDDs, 320Gb SATA HDD, Radeon 9650 256MiB, Airport Extreme compatible PCI card, Zip 250, Pioneer 110, Firewire DVD burner, 21" CRT, Harmon Kardon Apple Pro Speakers, OS X 10.4.6
Powerbook Pismo G3 400MHz, 768MiB RAM, 80Gb HDD, AirPort Extreme PC Card, Bluetooth 1.1, DVD-ROM, OS X 10.4.6, Ubuntu 5.10, MacOS 9.2.2
To buy: RAM for Pismo, CPU upgrades

Forum Links
Forum Rules