Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > Not as Crap Movies

Not as Crap Movies (Page 6)
subego  (op)
Clinically Insane
Oct 27, 2023, 04:35 PM

I saw all the Equalizers. Out of order (3, 1, 2).

Definitely not crap. Only glancing resemblance to the show, which I loved as a kid. They did do a good job of not making me irritated about it.

Naturally, Denzel is excellent.

I guess I strangely liked the second the most because it was weird and meandering, but I have to give a nod to the third for making the location a character, which I consider a fundamental component of the show.

Edit: the other fundamental components being Woodward and Copeland.

subego  (op)
Clinically Insane
Oct 27, 2023, 08:02 PM

Originally Posted by Waragainstsleep View Post
Against expectations, I enjoyed F&F5. The chase scene with the bank vault was particularly original and fun.
Bump because my post orphaned it on the last page.

andi*pandi
Oct 28, 2023, 10:02 PM

We went on the F&F ride at Universal which I feel sums up all the movies:

WE'RE FAMiLY!
chase scene
dance scene with scantily clad everyone
chase scene w helicopters
explosion
IT TURNED OUT OK, BECAUSE WE ARE FAMILY!

Props to the humans acting as the man in the chair etc in the waiting room.

subego  (op)
Clinically Insane
Oct 29, 2023, 12:53 AM

Skyfall

Way late to the party on this. My favorite of the Craigs. Inventive set pieces. The lighting was very well done. Just the right amount of camp. Still a half hour too long.

Laminar
Posting Junkie
Location: Iowa, how long can this be? Does it really ruin the left column spacing?
Oct 30, 2023, 09:48 AM

Originally Posted by Waragainstsleep View Post
Against expectations, I enjoyed F&F5. The chase scene with the bank vault was particularly original and fun.
I loved 5. Ocean's Eleven but with cars. Just enough over the top and unbelievable to make for a good movie. The stakes creep in the later movies ruined them for me.

Laminar
Posting Junkie
Location: Iowa, how long can this be? Does it really ruin the left column spacing?
Oct 30, 2023, 09:49 AM

Originally Posted by subego View Post
Skyfall

Way late to the party on this. My favorite of the Craigs. Inventive set pieces. The lighting was very well done. Just the right amount of camp. Still a half hour too long.
If James Bond was Kevin McCallister.

subego  (op)
Clinically Insane
Oct 30, 2023, 01:48 PM

Guest starring grandpa Tom Jones with a shotgun.

ShortcutToMoncton
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 30, 2023, 09:07 PM

Love Skyfall. My favourite Bond film and would100% be on my personal top-10 of all time watch list. The only weak spot IMO is when the genius Millennial Q plugs a mysterious rogue laptop directly into the MI6 servers with predictable results, right down to the cheesy hacking bit images.

Other than that, just an incredible movie. That first villain monologue is just a good old-fashioned Heat-esque, mano-a-mano over-acting faceoff. And the final battle is ground zero for testing out one’s TV and audio system — I throw it on from time to time to drive the AV amateurs before me and hear the lamentations of, well, mostly my own family as they cover their ears and cower in fear. **chef’s kiss**
Mankind's only chance is to harness the power of stupid.

Laminar
Posting Junkie
Oct 31, 2023, 07:51 AM

Originally Posted by ShortcutToMoncton View Post
The only weak spot IMO is when the genius Millennial Q plugs a mysterious rogue laptop directly into the MI6 servers with predictable results, right down to the cheesy hacking bit images.
Didn't they try and address that in one of the later movies? Or at least mention something like "let's not connect this laptop right to our network"?

subego  (op)
Clinically Insane
Oct 31, 2023, 01:13 PM

Originally Posted by ShortcutToMoncton View Post
My favourite Bond film
Mine is Live and Let Die for being so batshit. Honorable mention to Moonraker

subego  (op)
Clinically Insane
Nov 5, 2023, 05:07 PM

Riders of Justice

Danish comedy.

In my experience, all Scandinavian comedies are dark.

The comedy in this movie is predicated on dysfunctional people committing a homicidal vigilante rampage.

Pretty hilarious.

I think I’ve already done this once, but this movie is so awesome I’ve just got to plug it again. I love it so much.

christ
Professional Poster
Nov 7, 2023, 11:03 AM

Mine is Live and Let Die for being so batshit. Honorable mention to Moonraker
Moonraker appears to be an Elon Musk biography.
Chris. T.

"... in 6 months if WMD are found, I hope all clear-thinking people who opposed the war will say "You're right, we were wrong -- good job". Similarly, if after 6 months no WMD are found, people who supported the war should say the same thing -- and move to impeach Mr. Bush." - moki, 04/16/03

subego  (op)
Clinically Insane
Nov 10, 2023, 12:54 AM

The Dinner

Just go in cold.

subego  (op)
Clinically Insane
Nov 16, 2023, 01:24 PM

Cold Pursuit

“Skills I have acquired over a very long career driving a snowplow. Skills that make me a nightmare for people like you.”

subego  (op)
Clinically Insane
Nov 17, 2023, 05:55 PM

The Signal

This movie respects the intelligence of the audience to a fault. Do not watch the trailer.

ShortcutToMoncton
Addicted to MacNN
Nov 19, 2023, 12:24 AM

The Dinner

Just go in cold.

Huh. I don’t remember enjoying it as much as, for example, Coherence

subego  (op)
Clinically Insane
Nov 19, 2023, 03:14 AM

While I agree both movies are on the same family tree, they’re such different branches I find them hard to compare.

I’m going to recommend you check out It’s A Disaster. Also in the same family tree, and ostensibly closer to Coherence.

subego  (op)
Clinically Insane
Nov 20, 2023, 12:55 PM

Woops! Wrong thread!

ShortcutToMoncton
Addicted to MacNN
Nov 23, 2023, 09:52 PM

I don’t know if anyone else watched David Fincher’s The Killer on Netflix over the weekend, but……good stuff, pretty simple and straightforward movie, pretty light on emotion but it’s still a good watch overall.

subego  (op)
Clinically Insane
Nov 25, 2023, 05:42 PM

Oppenheimer

Ayup.

ShortcutToMoncton
Addicted to MacNN
Nov 26, 2023, 09:25 AM

I’ve had it in my queue for a while but haven’t been able to get past the hurdle of the run time. Watched the opening sequence with the exploding fireball last night and it got me pretty excited. But then I watched Barbie with the wife, which was alright. Lookin forward to the big show.

subego  (op)
Clinically Insane
Nov 26, 2023, 09:34 AM

We did it in one sitting with an intermission. I’d say spread it across two days but it’s a very dense movie and the narrative is convoluted, so some stuff might get lost there. As is, I’d like to see it again because I know there’s a lot I missed.

Laminar
Posting Junkie
Nov 27, 2023, 09:21 AM

Watched Spider-Man: Across the Spider-Verse with the kids on Thanksgiving. This movie absolutely has to be watched on the biggest screen and the loudest speakers you have. Visually incredible, the music and sound is fantastic, it's hilarious, it's meta, it's a trip. Twice during the movie I turned the volume even further up because it was banging so hard. I need to watch it again, which I never do with movies.

( Last edited by Laminar; Nov 28, 2023 at 09:48 AM. )

ShortcutToMoncton
Addicted to MacNN
Nov 27, 2023, 09:14 PM

I agree, it was really good. That intro with the music winding in and out was a real trip. Feels like they’ve pushed comic book animation forward with these movies.

andi*pandi
Nov 28, 2023, 11:56 AM

This was one of those movies where the audience applauded in theaters.

reader50
Administrator
Dec 1, 2023, 07:48 PM

We have the first trailer for Furiosa (prequal to Mad Max: Fury Road). Looks like all-new vehicles.

May 24, 2024. No speed limit signs anywhere I could see.

Laminar
Posting Junkie
Dec 3, 2023, 12:59 PM

The trailer looks like a lot of CGI, I'm hoping that was just fake BS for the trailer. The beauty of Fury Road was all of the practical effects. Still looking forward to it.

subego  (op)
Clinically Insane
Dec 3, 2023, 02:22 PM

Originally Posted by reader50 View Post
That’s bait.

subego  (op)
Clinically Insane
Dec 3, 2023, 02:51 PM

Magnolia

Very late to the party. Not sure what to make of it yet even though I watched it three days ago.

I think it probably deserves 5 stars, but I don’t want to rate it without understanding it.

subego  (op)
Clinically Insane
Dec 13, 2023, 01:47 PM

Killers of the Flower Moon

Not crap. Doesn’t drag despite the runtime. My dad read most of the book and says the movie is more compelling. I feel like Scorsese made some shit up. Among other things, Mollie IRL was not stunningly Hollywood beautiful.

Robbie Coltrane fucked up the score. Uninspired.

DiCaprio gives Karl Urban a run for his money in the tactical frown department.

ShortcutToMoncton
Addicted to MacNN
Dec 14, 2023, 11:00 PM

Just finished it. You mean Robbie Robertson? I can’t tell yet. It was creepy and insistent.

subego  (op)
Clinically Insane
Dec 15, 2023, 01:12 AM

One of those Robbies.

The Northman

Not at all what I was expecting.

Spice up your solstice with some fine Dark Ages pagan family entertainment.

subego  (op)
Clinically Insane
Dec 25, 2023, 02:36 PM

Dream Scenario

Not crap, but unpleasant and cynical. I wouldn’t actually recommend it.

Because it was made up of a half-dozen disparate locations, the university didn’t have consistent architecture and it really pissed me off.

subego  (op)
Clinically Insane
Dec 25, 2023, 10:44 PM

The Grey Fox

40 years late to the party. Absolutely brilliant. Startlingly wholesome for a western.

andi*pandi
Dec 26, 2023, 01:45 PM

The Boy and the Heron. We went as fans of Miyazaki/Studio Ghibli, and there is that gorgeous artwork and humor there, but it's a more serious movie about loss. It also felt a little long so loses a star for that.

subego  (op)
Clinically Insane
Dec 26, 2023, 01:51 PM

Did it feel like a video game? A lot of his movies feel that way to me. Howl’s Moving Castle being the clearest example.

andi*pandi
Dec 26, 2023, 04:36 PM

No. A lot more emotional bits. Sometimes it felt a little "wizard of oz" dreamlike, or story not lining up... there is a chase scene which doesn't make sense and I decided it was for artistic merits. Surreal.

Considering a recent family loss, perhaps we should have opted for something more brainless like Wonka.

ShortcutToMoncton
Addicted to MacNN
Dec 28, 2023, 10:22 AM

The Grey Fox

40 years late to the party. Absolutely brilliant. Startlingly wholesome for a western.

Ooooo, this is a new one for me. I’m going to find it.

andi*pandi
Jan 1, 2024, 09:58 PM

Sick with Covid and wanting something brainless, my choices on Netflix were insipid christmas romances or Bullet Train. I chose Bullet Train.

Ultraviolent. Tarantino-adjacent. Witty. Loveable hitmen. Whodunnit. Japanese bathrooms. Brad Pitt. Thomas the Tank Engine. Sandra Bullock being the voice in the chair.

for fun, Brad Pitt, and some unexpected twists. Minus one star for one death but perhaps that just shows the lesson that communication is always important.

Then, after that I tried the Christmas Prince, which I could not even get halfway through. So stupid. -1 star for wasting the lead actress from iZombie.

subego  (op)
Clinically Insane
Jan 22, 2024, 02:00 AM

Trapped

Thriller from 20 years ago I had never heard of. Kevin Bacon and Courtney Love are the villains. Instant sale for me.

Unfortunately, it kinda falls apart at the end, but up until that point the writing is fantastic. Most enjoyably, it’s willing to let you learn about the characters through subtext and implication. The ending wouldn’t have been the same disappointment in a lesser film.

subego  (op)
Clinically Insane
Jan 25, 2024, 05:18 PM

Lift

Has all the pieces to be a decent comedy-action-ensemble franchise, but needed more time in the oven. Murtry from The Expanse was criminally underutilized. NFTs are central to the plot, which is unintentionally hilarious.

Not crap, but they’ve got room to improve with the next one.

subego  (op)
Clinically Insane
Feb 1, 2024, 02:13 AM

The Beekeeper

“Skills I have acquired over a very long career of beekeeping. Skills that make me a nightmare for people like you.“

Goofy, self-aware schlock. Don’t think about it too hard.

subego  (op)
Clinically Insane
Feb 1, 2024, 06:48 PM

El Conde

Augusto Pinochet as a vampire. My dad insisted on the dub, which was surprisingly good. There are parts of the movie which arguably should be in English anyway. Revolting at times, but vampires are kinda revolting. I imagine there’s a lot I missed due to not knowing Chilean history, but the movie does hold your hand to a certain extent.

andi*pandi
Feb 6, 2024, 12:50 PM

I discovered The Flash was on Amazon Prime and figured why not. I know it got cancelled because the lead actor is psycho. However, I found it to be pretty fun?

Minor quibbles: again with the sophomoric writing around wonder woman. Yes the lasso of truth is a fun plot device for Batman to spout his inner workings. No, it is not fun for Flash to ramble on about sex. Diana is very patient with these two idiots. But glad to see her.

Batfleck: I think he's doing a great job with old tired Batman. Until...

Time travel by going reallllllly fast: handwave. They had a miss not calling out Reeve for doing the same thing in Superman 1.

Keaton: EXCELLENT

Nuflash: tiresome teen but is meant to be?

FIXED POINTS IN TIME

Villain: PREDICTABLE

Clooney: HA

Nick cage: rofl

And as always now that I've seen the movie I can see how it REALLY should have ended:

Waragainstsleep
Posting Junkie
Feb 8, 2024, 07:11 AM

Because it was made up of a half-dozen disparate locations, the university didn’t have consistent architecture and it really pissed me off.
You'd hate some of our universities. Mine was in the middle of a city with buildings scattered among the rest of the city centre. Every building completely different from 17th century gothic to modern glass via 60s/70s high rise towers.
I have plenty of more important things to do, if only I could bring myself to do them....

subego  (op)
Clinically Insane
Feb 8, 2024, 08:05 AM

I’m fine with that if there are actual different buildings. This made it feel like they were all part of the same structure. So, raw concrete on one side of a door, and then on the other side is plaster and wood paneling.

subego  (op)
Clinically Insane
Feb 14, 2024, 05:42 PM

I.S.S.

Not crap, but has a few things holding it back. The cast is excellent, though the American commander is a bit of a ham. Script could have baked a little longer. Microgravity effects are hit and miss, mostly miss. The apocalypse effects aren’t bad so much as ignorant.

subego  (op)
Clinically Insane
Feb 16, 2024, 03:48 PM

The Pale Blue Eye

Excellent. Gillian Anderson slays.

Thorzdad
Feb 18, 2024, 09:38 PM

Everything, Everywhere, All At Once is currently on Prime. We watched it tonight and, wow, what a trip. Loved it.

Doc HM
Professional Poster
Feb 19, 2024, 06:23 AM

Went to see Argyle. The new one from Matthew Vaughn.

Vaughn has made some excellent movies (Kiss Ass, Kingsman), this is NOT one of them. He's made some mediocre ones (The Kingsman), this is not one of those and some straight up poor efforts (Kingsman 2 and Kick Ass 2), but this is not one of those either.

Two and a half hours of absolutely turgid nonsense that has probably killed the careers of everyone within a thousand miles of it. Catherine O'Hara came out for THIS!!. At leat Bryan Cranston has the grace to look embarrassed to be in all of his scenes. No-one does more than phone in the minimum.
There's a solid 20 minutes sketch buried under all the dross.
This space for Hire! Reasonable rates. Reach an audience of literally dozens!

Forum Links
Forum Rules