Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > 12inch PB and gaming...

12inch PB and gaming...
kensai
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jul 26, 2003, 03:49 PM

I didn't buy my 12 inch PowerBook with the intention of using it as a gaming platform, but I ineveitably ended up installing a couple games on it (EV Nova, Dungeon Siege, and a couple *ahem* Emulators :-). I've been looking at what other games are out there that my diminutive PB can run, and I've noticed that it statisfies all the minimum requirements to run Unreal Tournament 2003 (Macintosh OSX v10.2.6 or higher, 700 MHz G4 processor or faster, 256 MB RAM, 3GB hard disk space, 32MB ATI RADEON or Nvidia GeForce 2 or faster) except that there is a little addendum which states "except 12" PowerBook manufactured in 2003". I'm not sure exactly why this would be...the only difference I can think of would be the L3 cache, which many sub 867 G4s wouldn't have anyway.

Has anyone successfully run UT 2K3 on their 12inch PB? How did it run? How much RAM have you got in you PB?

Thanks,
Alex

tisoncam
Jul 26, 2003, 04:56 PM

The demo works fine--don't know what they are talking about

Angus_D
Addicted to MacNN
Jul 27, 2003, 10:58 AM

Yeah, it runs, but it's not perfect on my AlBook. Maybe I just need more RAM. And a mouse. It's unusable without a mouse

Shaddim
Clinically Insane
Jul 27, 2003, 11:33 AM

I'm not sure why they put that addendum on the UT2003 box, I saw that too. It runs very well on my PB at 1024x768, though I turned the detail down and removed some useless extras like "gore".

Although, I am much more into strategy games and RPGs. Dungeon Seige runs very well at max res and I'm really looking forward to Neverwinter Nights.
"Those who expect to reap the blessings of freedom must, like men, undergo the fatigue of supporting it."
- Thomas Paine

The Placid Casual
Professional Poster
Jul 27, 2003, 12:53 PM

I ran the demo on my 12" PB (Max RAM) without problem.

Not overly quick, but playable.

Peace,

Marc

Forum Links
Forum Rules