Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > Control Strip causing startup crash?

Control Strip causing startup crash?
iJohnny
Nov 28, 2000, 10:55 AM

I've been having a problem in which the Control Strip causes my iBook G3 to crash on startup. Anyone experienced such a problem?

Basically, startup would go off just fine until the routine got to launching the Control Strip, when the system would freeze unrecoverably. I was not able to solve the problem until I disabled the Control Strip-related extensions. So now, my iBook works fine, but I miss the battery level module, which was useful when I wasn't plugged in. Nothing else on the control strip was particularly useful to me.

Can anyone suggest a way of reinstalling the Control Strip (which seems corrupted) without reinstalling the entire system (I'm running 9.0.4)? Or alternately, does anyone know of a battery-level utility that doesn't rely on the Control Strip?

iJohnny

Rohith
Nov 28, 2000, 11:31 AM

I'm pretty sure you can just reinstall the control strip modules off of the install cd. Try that first.

Alternatively, try turning off each control strip module one-by-one to see if it's 1 module that's causing the ruckus, or the whole control strip.

Travis
Nov 28, 2000, 03:26 PM

Check and see if there is a control strip module in your Control Strip Modules folder called VS Control Strip. If there is remove it and restart with all control strip related extensions enabled and the issue should be resolved. This CS module is installed with Umax scanner software and is not compatible.

Mikey S
Nov 28, 2000, 03:51 PM

The UMAX scanner control extension will cause this crash, if it is installed as said above. If you don't have that, then try something simple like throwing out the preferences.

tbp9f
Nov 28, 2000, 04:51 PM

Trash your Control Strip Preferences file.

------------------
Tyler Perkins
[email protected]

DewD
Nov 28, 2000, 08:29 PM

The Control Strip extension is a little pesky. But better to have it than not have it , especially for PowerBooks and iBooks.

I'm running 8.5.1 and CS Extension quite often would cause freezes, especially when using Remote Access for Internet dial up connects/disconnects many times during a long work session. It was always the CS that froze the system, but a Force Quit would free it up again

I solved the problem by using Conflict Catcher to move the CS extension so it loaded later at startup , to near the bottom of the extensions list. And of course trashing the Control Strip preferences at the same time. No harm there.

Hasn't happened since. ( Hunch: Some oddball, shareware , or poorly written Third Party control strip extensions may be causing some of your problems as well...)

easyrider
Nov 29, 2000, 02:18 AM

try extensions strip 2.0b3 at http://www.versiontracker.com/moreinfo.fcgi?id=1520 to replace the control strip extension.

Markus01
Nov 29, 2000, 04:45 AM

I too had a problem with the control strip disappearing act and I was running 9.0.4 but,the problem happenned when I installed Airport ver. 1.2 so I had to settle with Airport 1.1 so I can have my control strip back. I also have a imac dvse 400 with no problems with 9.0.4 and Airport 1.2 so go figure? Markus

bruiser
Dec 1, 2000, 10:35 AM

Disable CS and go get Extensions Strip from http://www.skidperfect.com/es/

A lot of the problems I had with CS were eliminated when I installed ES, plus the ES strips can be configured to save precious real estate on your desktop.

iJohnny
Jan 2, 2001, 01:10 PM

No more crashes-VSControlStrip was the problem!!

Thanks for your help Travis and Mikey S...

I didn't get around to fixing it until today, but removing VSControlStrip also removed the startup crash problem. Now I can keep an eye on my battery level when I'm unplugged -- whew!

I also discovered I couldn't scan properly until I disabled the PowerSavingDRVR extension as well, but I'm not sure why. That was the advice on the UMAX web site, which was not very well explained. But, hey, it works.

Cheers,
iJohnny

Forum Links
Forum Rules