Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > So Discouraged About New Powerbooks

So Discouraged About New Powerbooks
Kelvin
Oct 8, 2003, 01:02 PM

I've been longing to purchase another Mac, my first since I sold my 7600 about 5 years ago. I was thinking of a notebook to use with my existing D-Link wireless network at home and I've started considering a Mac notebook. I could also connect it to my large CRT monitor on it's second video input. However, after reading these posts I'm very discouraged.

These are the problems I've seen
15" AL
White spots in screens. I went to a CompUSA and I saw a small one on their 1ghz display model
Battery life complaints
Latch complaints
Wireless reception issues
Poor display quality when connected to a CRT display.

Then I started considering a 12" Rev B but their seems to be wireless reception issues with these models.

I don't want to have to go through the hassle of exchanging several units. I was considering on purchase one online to aviod sales tax rather than going to the local Apple store or other Mac retailers in the area.

I guess I'll just wait and see if these problems get resolved or addressed by Apple in the near future.

Sakino
Senior User
Oct 8, 2003, 01:08 PM

Originally posted by Kelvin:
I've been longing to purchase another Mac, my first since I sold my 7600 about 5 years ago. I was thinking of a notebook to use with my existing D-Link wireless network at home and I've started considering a Mac notebook. I could also connect it to my large CRT monitor on it's second video input. However, after reading these posts I'm very discouraged.

These are the problems I've seen
15" AL
White spots in screens. I went to a CompUSA and I saw a small one on their 1ghz display model
Battery life complaints
Latch complaints
Wireless reception issues
Poor display quality when connected to a CRT display.

Then I started considering a 12" Rev B but their seems to be wireless reception issues with these models.

I don't want to have to go through the hassle of exchanging several units. I was considering on purchase one online to aviod sales tax rather than going to the local Apple store or other Mac retailers in the area.

I guess I'll just wait and see if these problems get resolved or addressed by Apple in the near future.
You left ot heat issues!
The fan is really loud, and is almost on all the time.
Harddrive is loud, has ticking sounds from time to time, and no its not ms trial. I deleted that ages ago.

I'm sure there are many more to come, just wait.

dennis88
Forum Regular
Oct 8, 2003, 02:28 PM

Sakino, heat issues??

Mine is dead cold!
And the fan almost never comes on!
I can't belive where you got that from.
And I also have the 5400rpm drive!

If you get one with the latch issue, then it's VERY easy to fix.

My powerbook 15" 1,25ghz is very nice, and it doesn't have any issues.
Remember, all the people who get issues post it here on the forum, while the thousands of happy people sits home and enjoys their powerbook's.
This is a "troubleshooting and discussion" forum.

I wouldn't be afraid of buying a powerbook right now, and hey, now you even get panther for free.
Mine is troublefree and the airport is working like a charm, so is the powerbook.
I get about 2 hours and 30mins batterylife with full brightness, airport on, bluetooth on and highest performance settings with moderate use.
This is with 10.2.8, and I can't wait for panther to come, which will increase the batterylife higher.

Sakino, why don't you just send back your powerbook?
It seems to me that you have got every single issue out there.
I know it's not fun to have a faulty powerbook, but because you got one, doesn't mean that every single powerbook out there is faulty like yours.

dennis88
Forum Regular
Oct 8, 2003, 02:32 PM

And by the way, I have connected a 14" crt screen to my powerbook, and the screen quality was actually much better than when I connected it too a pc with a nvidia geforce ti4800se 128mb.

dcsmrgun
Oct 8, 2003, 02:34 PM

You have to remember, for every horror story there's a few more satisfied customers you don't hear about.

Granted, the odds of you getting a flawless PB are worse than, say, getting hit by lightning, but I'm pretty confident mine will show up ok.

nagromme
Senior User
Oct 8, 2003, 02:38 PM

Almost everyone gets a good unit, despite what early posts might lead one to think.

But problems ARE still more frequent in any first-run product than in later runs. So to improve your odds even further, don't be one of the first to order. I'm waiting until Novermber, at least. For one thing, that should mean Panther pre-installed.
nagromme

pptiger
Oct 8, 2003, 02:42 PM

Originally posted by Sakino:
You left ot heat issues!
Harddrive is loud, has ticking sounds from time to time, and no its not ms trial. I deleted that ages ago.

My PB becomes warm, but I don't think it is an issue. And I never heard any sound of the fan. It is quiet. No harddrive ticking either.

The problem is not every PB owner will post a review, no matter it is good or bad.

Kelvin  (op)
Oct 8, 2003, 03:14 PM

I guess it wouldn't bother me so much if it was so one or two posts but when someone says they have a particular problem then you start to get replies, "me too, I have that problem" After a few days you start to see a trend to some of these threads that make me think it is a more widespread problem. Thanks for all the encouragement though.

Sakino
Senior User
Oct 8, 2003, 04:28 PM

Originally posted by dennis88:
Sakino, heat issues??

Mine is dead cold!
And the fan almost never comes on!
I can't belive where you got that from.
And I also have the 5400rpm drive!

If you get one with the latch issue, then it's VERY easy to fix.
Well let me tell you something. I been waiting to get a powerbook for over a year now. I got up right after keynotes and placed my order. I couldn't wait to get my new powerbook, well when I finally got it 2 fridays ago my dreams fell apart.
MY POWERBOOK IS AF UCKING PIECE OF ****?!?!
Personally I think apple should replace it, but they must decide first.
Here is my list of problems:
-1:30 minutes battery life with battery life on. (lite usage)
-5 white spots, and they keep on growing. One as actually started to form in the past week.
-HEAT?! OMG this thing is really hot?! So the fan kicks in about every 25 minutes, when I am listening to music, surfing.
-latch problems
-harddrive ticks from time to time
-keyboard scratching screen.

As you can see its a pos. I dont want a repair, I want a new one.

-one unhappy switcher

babajazz
Forum Regular
Oct 8, 2003, 04:34 PM

mine's going to be here in a few minutes, I can see the fed ex guy across the street.....keep fingers crossed!
oh god, I shouldn't be nervous but I am due to all these posts!

docholiday
Dedicated MacNNer
Oct 8, 2003, 04:42 PM

You left ot heat issues!

No heat issues here.
No fan coming on and when it comes on its very quiet...
Powerbook 15.2" G4 1.5Ghz
1GB RAM, 80GB 5400rpm
4GB iPod Mini, Rev 2, Green

in the flesh?
Forum Regular
Oct 8, 2003, 04:52 PM

i have a 12" rev b and it is flawless, no complaints. screens is great, reception excellent, quiet and only a little warm.

gomariners
Oct 8, 2003, 05:04 PM

"I don't want to have to go through the hassle of exchanging several units. I was considering on purchase one online to aviod sales tax rather than going to the local Apple store or other Mac retailers in the area."

Actually, you have to pay sales tax on the ship to address, e.g., in WA I have to pay like 8.75%. This applies whenever the company has a physical presence in the state (i.e., an Apple store).

dennis88
Forum Regular
Oct 8, 2003, 05:40 PM

Well let me tell you something. I been waiting to get a powerbook for over a year now. I got up right after keynotes and placed my order. I couldn't wait to get my new powerbook, well when I finally got it 2 fridays ago my dreams fell apart.
-5 white spots, and they keep on growing. One as actually started to form in the past week.
-HEAT?! OMG this thing is really hot?! So the fan kicks in about every 25 minutes, when I am listening to music, surfing.
-latch problems

-one unhappy switcher
I know it's not fun, but you mention keyboard scratching screen.
I don't have this problem, and I don't have any of the others you have listed there.
And 1,30 hours batterylife with lite usage is MUCH less than what I get.
I get about 2,30 hours with full brightness, bt on, airport on, highest performance settings, surfing with safari while listening to music.
Heat?
This thing runs very cold, and I'm actually impressed with how little heat it actually produces.

You seem to be the only one with the "heat" issue on the new 15" AL, I have read about.
And you are also the only one I have read about that says the "keys are scratching the screen" on the new 15".
It's actually a bit hard to belive that you have all the known problems, and even a bunch of "issues" that no one else has, in the one and the same powerbook.
But anyway I hope apple will replace it as soon as possible, if they don't, then something are wrong.
Good luck!

LfGrdMike
Mac Enthusiast
Oct 8, 2003, 05:54 PM

Look thats why you don't buy these things right away you wait a month or two to wait for problems to be ironed out in assembly. Its common sense. This goes for the rev a 15 inch model specifically. Go ahead tell me you got no problems but Apple obviously has issues with some of those screens, This needs to be ironed out. Give me a break its either a problem apple will fix under your warranty despite a minor inconvenience or you can crash in windows all the time on some centrino piece of ****.

Or be smart and buy 2 months after a release when problems are ironed out.

Frankly I think a lot of you are picky. About issues like heat. I got a rev A 12 and run intensive stuff it gets warm like a tech device does, Although I realise the first batch of rev As has a more severe case. I got one of the last rev As 5 weeks ago i believe. No problems.

Latch issue don't have it. Don't have a sticky trackpad. OMG the screen is 1 mm open and the spacers arent resting on the base. Call 911. Its like some just study the laptop until they find a problem.
MacBook Pro 15" Rev B | 2.16GHz Intel Core 2 Duo | 2GB Mem | 160GB HD | Display 15 Glossy Widescreen Display
iPod Mini Green | 35 gigs of music :-)
HP DV1040us Laptop | 1.6 Pentium M | 1GB RAM | Centrino

Sakino
Senior User
Oct 8, 2003, 06:00 PM

Originally posted by dennis88:

But anyway I hope apple will replace it as soon as possible, if they don't, then something are wrong.
Good luck!
Thanks me too, apple called yesterday but I am way to busy to sit on the phone. Stupid mid term week sucks.
But yeah I have oil all over my screen. Its just not one part of the screen, but you can see all the keys on at least 70% of the screen.
Right now im using airport, downloading, and itunes and I must say my hands are hot as hell.
Fan was just on and it was really loud.

Well i just noticed I got a phone call from an adc member yesterday. I called the phone number she gave me, and it sent me right to her desk? So hmm my complaint must have been heard and hopefully this girl at adc can help me. I guess she works with the "World Relations Department"?
( Last edited by Sakino; Oct 8, 2003 at 06:16 PM. )

LfGrdMike
Mac Enthusiast
Oct 8, 2003, 06:02 PM

I guess I won't get the iKlean stuff after all. Good luck to you man.
MacBook Pro 15" Rev B | 2.16GHz Intel Core 2 Duo | 2GB Mem | 160GB HD | Display 15 Glossy Widescreen Display
iPod Mini Green | 35 gigs of music :-)
HP DV1040us Laptop | 1.6 Pentium M | 1GB RAM | Centrino

parsec_kadets
Senior User
Oct 8, 2003, 06:33 PM

Originally posted by Kelvin:
If you really are concerned the best thing to do would be to go to the store and make sure they have several of them in stock. Then demand that you open the box right there in the store and do your best to find any problems. That is the only way to guarantee that you won't have problems right out of the box. Personally, I think you're being very unreasonable. For every complaint you see on these boards there are thousands of others who didn't complain.

sorkinesque
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Oct 8, 2003, 08:41 PM

i'm trying to get my hands on one of these laser sighted temperature guns to determine the actual temperature of the aluminum on my '12. anyone else have actual measurements of how hot their machine is getting?

macxtal
Oct 8, 2003, 09:31 PM

My machine does not get hot.

It doesn't really even get warm.

I don't believe it has a fan. I haven't heard one.

My screen is fine.

Battery life was bad. This was fixed with the OS update. Free.

My machine latches fine.

My keyboard does not touch the screen.

My hard drive is not noisy. I can't tell it's being accessed.

There are thousands and thousands of powerbooks like mine. I got a stock combo 15 ordered the day of the keynote. YMMV. Odds are vastly favourable you will have a similar experience. If you can't handle this, wait for a revision B.

Super Glitcher
Dedicated MacNNer
Oct 8, 2003, 09:55 PM

Never had a problem, second G4 powerbook here. Don't worry about it, once you get it you'll be so elated that you'll punch yourself in the nutts for not getting it sooner.
"Thank you Mario, but our princess is in another castle."

iDaver
Grizzled Veteran
Oct 8, 2003, 10:19 PM

Originally posted by Super Glitcher:
Never had a problem, second G4 powerbook here. Don't worry about it, once you get it you'll be so elated that you'll punch yourself in the nutts for not getting it sooner.
Yeouch!

shabbasuraj
Mac Elite
Oct 8, 2003, 10:25 PM

Originally posted by gomariners:
"Actually, you have to pay sales tax on the ship to address, e.g., in WA I have to pay like 8.75%. This applies whenever the company has a physical presence in the state (i.e., an Apple store).
I think the OP was user was referring to buying a unit at a online Mac Authorized Reseller.

lates...

jpmunson
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Oct 8, 2003, 11:30 PM

Hey, I have a 17-inch Rev. A PowerBook with no problems whatsoever. No dead pixels, no spots.

Since I travel quite a bit, I'd be interested in doing a direct trade with anyone who has a 15" AL PB with a SuperDrive and Apple Care. I'd prefer one that has the same amount of RAM as well (1 GB).

E-mail me if you're interested. I'll do a direct trade, including all original packaging, extra batteries, leather slimline case and Brenthaven case.

I'm located in Wisconsin. FEDEX Overnight if you'd like.

Jason_munsonATmac.com

agentmouthwash
Forum Regular
Oct 9, 2003, 09:39 AM

My New Powerbook 15" has no problems what so ever. No heat issues, no broken latch, no white spots of dead pixels. The battery life is short, but that wil be fixed with Panther.
Powerbook G4 1.25GHZ

dennis88
Forum Regular
Oct 9, 2003, 10:00 AM

Originally posted by macxtal:
My machine does not get hot.

It doesn't really even get warm.

I don't believe it has a fan. I haven't heard one.

My screen is fine.

Battery life was bad. This was fixed with the OS update. Free.

My machine latches fine.

My keyboard does not touch the screen.

My hard drive is not noisy. I can't tell it's being accessed.

There are thousands and thousands of powerbooks like mine. I got a stock combo 15 ordered the day of the keynote. YMMV. Odds are vastly favourable you will have a similar experience. If you can't handle this, wait for a revision B.
The exact same here!

Spheric Harlot
Clinically Insane
Oct 9, 2003, 10:16 AM

-latch problems

There is something seriously wrong with your machine. The Apple Store will replace it immediately if you call them.

I find it slightly odd, though, that you mention the keyboard scratching the screen, since this is not a problem on the Aluminum Powerbooks, only on the older Titanium 'books.

Apart from that, the monitor spots, and the battery life, the fan kicking in every 25 minutes indicates that something is eating processor power. There is something else running beyond the web browser and iTunes, or you're looking at extremely heavy Flash sites exclusively.

I have a 12", and the fan has come on I think twice in the last three days - running Panther 10.3 and doing audio work in Logic, web browsing, etc.

The fan is rare on the 12" Rev A, which is notoriously warm, and it should be a LOT rarer on the 15".

-s*

Spheric Harlot
Clinically Insane
Oct 9, 2003, 10:20 AM

Originally posted by parsec_kadets:
For every complaint you see on these boards there are thousands of others who didn't complain.
Yes.

People tend to forget that this is a TROUBLESHOOTING forum. People will tend to post here if they have PROBLEMS, not to tell the world that everything is peachy.

The fact that some people actually go through the trouble of posting here just to say that everything is indeed peachy speaks volumes about customer satisfaction, though.

People love their Powerbooks. (I do.)

-s*

Kelvin  (op)
Oct 9, 2003, 11:17 AM

Originally posted by Spheric Harlot:
Yes.

People tend to forget that this is a TROUBLESHOOTING forum. People will tend to post here if they have PROBLEMS, not to tell the world that everything is peachy.

The fact that some people actually go through the trouble of posting here just to say that everything is indeed peachy speaks volumes about customer satisfaction, though.

People love their Powerbooks. (I do.)

-s*
That is one thing I really like about possibly using a Mac are forums like this.

I'm just concerned that there seems to be trends in some of the problems. I someone posted saying they had white spots and then the next 20 posts said, they didn't have this problem that would be reassuring I wouldn't get a model with this defect. However, what I'm seeing are others experiencing the same thing. There is even a thread from someone who returned his 15" AL and his second had white spots. I also think that many do not have problems but there are probably many more that have these problems and don't contribute to these online forums.

I suppose if Sony, HP, Compaq had user forums then the same thing would be be apparent, maybe even worse. The Dell user forums are packed with problem issues.

Now that Panther has been announced I think I'll wait until the PBs are shipping with this new version installed and review the useage reports.

xi_hyperon
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 9, 2003, 11:58 AM

Well, I for one have been very happy with my new 17" PB. I can actually use it on my lap, unlike my trusty Tibook, which could easily double as a griddle if one simply turned it over. The 17" has had no problems whatsoever. Fit and finish is perfect, no spots or dead pixels on the screen. The 5400 RPM hard drive is extremely quiet. The only thing I noticed, which I mentioned in another thread, was that the fan, although quiet, makes more of a purring sound when on. However, it doesn't turn on too often, unless I've got Backlight and the Visualizer in iTunes running simultaneously.

I am still in "wow" mode when it comes to its graphic capabilities, especially after having used the Tibook for the last 3 years. Very. Satisfied.

Nice work, Apple.

moofman
Dedicated MacNNer
Oct 9, 2003, 12:11 PM

You left ot heat issues!

Mine's never even gotten hot enough to make my leg warm through my jeans, I've never heard my fan come on (I thought I did once, but it was the CD spinning up), my latch is perfect, and my hard drive is silent. I have the occasional "ethernet pops" I've heard mentioned, but that's it, and some white spots, which Apple is apparently having no problem replacing. They're slightly annoying, but nothing that hinders use of the computer. Since I have Applecare, I'm probably just going to wait until December to replace it, so I don't have to go without my computer during school.

And battery life? I'm routinely getting 2:45 minimum to 3:15, even though my estimated time remaining is usually drastically less. I got my "10-minute" warning yesterday afternoon, and about 40 minutes later, my AlBook finally went to sleep.

Overall, I'm am amazingly satisfied with this computer. It's extremely fast, extremely sturdy, and looks and feels great. Once these white spots are fixed, it'll be perfect.

...when I finally got it 2 fridays ago my dreams fell apart.
-one unhappy switcher

Not to demean you or anything, but if your dreams depended on a computer...

RealMac
Dedicated MacNNer
Oct 9, 2003, 12:13 PM

For what it's worth, I have only experienced one major problem with the 15" aluminum powerbook I purchased last week. That was with the faulty Airport Extreme connector.

I brought it back the day after I purchased it, had the technicians check it out and they stated that it was failure of a hardware component upon first use and gave me a replacement.

Just a few days later I got my new machine and was figuratively home free. No problems so far with this 15" unit...
It is in the moments of decision that your destiny is shaped.
www.therealmac.net
MBA Graduate, Creative Thinker, Nice Guy

forcelite
Dedicated MacNNer
Oct 9, 2003, 12:14 PM

Correct,
I have said this many times but ill say it again

Way more people have absolutly no problems with theier machines, it is the FEW that have problems that post here.

I have had 3 laptop macs, an ibook, 12' al book A ver. new 15' al 1.25ghz

I have had a totaly of 1 dead pixel for 3 noteboks (the 12' al)

My new 15' is ablsoutly flawless.

The thing si the fastest laptop I have ever used (pc included) and the screen is imaculant. I have not heat issues (the 12' al rev a did)

my airport is better than ever

Seriously this laptop is flawless.

Guys use some of that knowledge I know you have and realize after countless posts that you will more than luckly recieve a flawless powerbook that is as immaculant as mine.

I swaer too many people want to focus on the bad issure

Force
Force

cambro
Senior User
Oct 9, 2003, 04:16 PM

Originally posted by forcelite:
...I swaer too many people want to focus on the bad issure
Exactly.

It is boring to read and boring to write about everything being perfectly built and performing flawlessly.

I've purchased 5 macs for my family over the past 5 years:

3 Powerbooks (Pismo to Ghz Ti)
1 iBook
1 eMac

NONE of them have had the slightest problem or defect....unless you count 1 stuck pixel out of 4 LCDs.

When will people learn that these forums are for posting problems and solutions and NOT HAPPY STORIES!!!!!

Forum Links
Forum Rules