Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > This is killing me.. does it ever happen to you? (for guys)

This is killing me.. does it ever happen to you? (for guys)
macgeek2005
Mac Elite
Nov 4, 2006, 04:01 AM

Women can respond to this and share their opinion or experiences, but it's mostly aimed towards guys.

Have you ever met a woman who has a really really pretty face, but she wears crappy clothes, and has a bad hairdo, so she doesn't really look that pretty in the end? Have you ever thought to yourself "Damn, she'd be gorgeous if she would just cut her hair and straighten it"? etc etc.

The reason i'm asking is because it's happened to me. Theres this girl that is by no means gorgeous at first look, or even at second look, but if I look at just her face, like from the eyes to the chin, her face is really pretty! Really really pretty! But she has semi-short hair which is died black, and she wears very un-girly clothes. She's also a teeny bit over-weight.

I wish she'd lose 10 pounds, have semi-long brown curly hair, and wear pretty clothes. She'd be the most beautiful girl i've met in a while!

Anyone have similar experiences?

Tuoder
Mac Elite
Nov 4, 2006, 04:09 AM

I prefer girls that don't require any work.

But I know what you mean. Mostly I look at the "goth" or "punk" girls and think something like that.

kernokerno
Nov 4, 2006, 04:13 AM

Originally Posted by Tuoder View Post

But I know what you mean. Mostly I look at the "goth" or "punk" girls and think something like that.
punk girls are hot

Tuoder
Mac Elite
Nov 4, 2006, 04:20 AM

Originally Posted by kernokerno View Post
punk girls are hot
Some are, but many look like they got into a freak accident at the Sherwin-Williams store.

macgeek2005  (op)
Mac Elite
Nov 4, 2006, 04:25 AM

Oh this girl doesn't need any work, she just needs to stop working AWAY from prettiness.

Tuoder
Mac Elite
Nov 4, 2006, 04:33 AM

Well, I classify weight loss as work. Though I should not don a t-shirt that says no fat chicks, if you see where I am going.
( Last edited by Tuoder; Nov 4, 2006 at 04:42 AM. Reason: spelling at night)

macgeek2005  (op)
Mac Elite
Nov 4, 2006, 04:39 AM

The weight loss isn't the main thing, it's mainly the hair and the clothes.

Tuoder
Mac Elite
Nov 4, 2006, 04:42 AM

Originally Posted by macgeek2005 View Post
The weight loss isn't the main thing, it's mainly the hair and the clothes.
Does she have alot of poorly dressed friends?

macgeek2005  (op)
Mac Elite
Nov 4, 2006, 04:57 AM

No not really. Her friends dress fine. In fact her closest girl-friend finally convinced her to start shaving her legs and stuff..... so maybe i'll see other improvements in the near future!

Tuoder
Mac Elite
Nov 4, 2006, 05:02 AM

No not really. Her friends dress fine. In fact her closest girl-friend finally convinced her to start shaving her legs and stuff..... so maybe i'll see other improvements in the near future!
Oh, she is a leasbian. Some of the lesbian gorls feel the need to dress, shall I say, differently.

macgeek2005  (op)
Mac Elite
Nov 4, 2006, 05:44 AM

Oh my god! She could be a lesbian!!! Now that I think about it, there is no event in my memory that would prove otherwise. Holy mother of god! She can't be! She just can't be! That's not possible!

kick52
Baninated
Nov 4, 2006, 06:14 AM

i hate girls that wear too much makeup... i think pretty girls look best without makeup

PB2K
Mac Elite
Nov 4, 2006, 06:28 AM

if you need to change people to meet your criteria .. that's just odd

i work at a highschool, i talk to lots of girls every day as i help them with their notebooks. it's easy to get a conversation going that is not work-related. but i find myself attracted to only 1% of them. most of them are just too immature, too lazy, too boring, too selfish to be attractive anyhow. i am sure they get a lot of attention in bars and disco's because they are so pretty, but without a developed character they are just dull girls.
{Animated sigs are not allowed.}

wallinbl
Professional Poster
Nov 4, 2006, 08:17 AM

Oh my god! She could be a lesbian!!! Now that I think about it, there is no event in my memory that would prove otherwise. Holy mother of god! She can't be! She just can't be! That's not possible!
That happened to me in high school. A friend of mine was not initially hot, but the more you were around her, the more you realized she truly was hot, but alas, she was a lesbian.

I also had a physics teacher that was nothing to think about. Then, the day before Christmas vacation, she let her hair down, took off her glasses, wore women's clothes (she always wore men's dress shirts), and she was seriously hot!

JoshuaZ
Professional Poster
Nov 4, 2006, 11:13 AM

I'd rather she be herself then be pretty. If she doesn't care, does it really matter?

andi*pandi
Nov 4, 2006, 12:06 PM

they sell dolls you can dress up however you like.

RAILhead
Addicted to MacNN
Nov 4, 2006, 01:06 PM

Cue Monique...
"Everything's so clear to me now: I'm the keeper of the cheese and you're the lemon merchant. Get it? And he knows it.
That's why he's gonna kill us. So we got to beat it. Yeah. Before he let's loose the marmosets on us."
my band • my web site • my guitar effects • my photos • facebook • brightpoint

paul w
Mac Elite
Nov 4, 2006, 01:20 PM

Also cue the This Thread is Worthless Without Pics smiley.

Seriously, dude, who says she wants to change?

SirCastor
Professional Poster
Nov 4, 2006, 01:47 PM

I think there's a difference between not going to the trouble of being pretty and not going to the trouble to be remotely presentable. I fall into the camp of people who say that if that's who she is, then why question it? But I say that because my getting ready routine consists of shower, shave, a little gel, and I'm set. My girlfriend spends 30 minutes to an hour getting ready, and it's worth it.
If she's not bathing, that's one thing. If she's not doing up her hair, that's another.

But yeah, I know what difference it can make...
2008 iMac 3.06 Ghz, 2GB Memory, GeForce 8800, 500GB HD, SuperDrive
8gb iPhone on Tmobile

exca1ibur
Mac Elite
Nov 4, 2006, 03:25 PM

If thats who she is, why should she change to be something shes not? People shouldn't have to change who or what they are to suit anyone. If she doesn't meet your quota at that point, move on to someone who does, or accept it. If she feels she WANTS to change thats should be her choice not yours.

macgeek2005  (op)
Mac Elite
Nov 4, 2006, 04:13 PM

Originally Posted by PB2K View Post
if you need to change people to meet your criteria .. that's just odd

i work at a highschool, i talk to lots of girls every day as i help them with their notebooks. it's easy to get a conversation going that is not work-related. but i find myself attracted to only 1% of them. most of them are just too immature, too lazy, too boring, too selfish to be attractive anyhow. i am sure they get a lot of attention in bars and disco's because they are so pretty, but without a developed character they are just dull girls.
I agree completely. I'm not attracted 99% of high school girls. This girl i'm talking about was homeschooled, just like me. That's why she's smart, thinks for herself, and wears bad clothes!!!!

The other day in english class, she took off her jacket, and she was wearing a shirt that actually showed some of her arms. Just that doubled her attractiveness!

Kevin
Baninated
Nov 4, 2006, 05:00 PM

Maybe she isn't superficial and shallow?

Kevin
Baninated
Nov 4, 2006, 05:01 PM

Originally Posted by andi*pandi View Post

macgeek2005  (op)
Mac Elite
Nov 4, 2006, 05:56 PM

Originally Posted by Kevin View Post
Maybe she isn't superficial and shallow?
Oh she isn't' at all. But what does that have to do with looking nice?

Nebagakid
Mac Elite
Nov 4, 2006, 06:21 PM

purchase her, and then get her altered

hey!_Zeus
Banned
Nov 4, 2006, 07:05 PM

Discussion with her might help. You know, tactful.

bstone
Mac Elite
Nov 4, 2006, 07:21 PM

I'm a hippy. I spent weeks at a time in the forest at Rainbow Gatherings. There is no running water other than rivers and lakes. We are all dirty, very very dirty. Dirty hippies.

I like dirty hippy girls.
Emergency Medicine & Urgent Care.

Doofy
Clinically Insane
Nov 4, 2006, 07:33 PM

Does she go? Is she a goer? Nudge nudge, wink wink. A nod's as good as a wink to a blind bat!

Dakar²
Addicted to MacNN
Nov 4, 2006, 07:37 PM

Bizarre problem.

macgeek2005  (op)
Mac Elite
Nov 4, 2006, 08:29 PM

Originally Posted by Doofy View Post
Does she go? Is she a goer? Nudge nudge, wink wink. A nod's as good as a wink to a blind bat!
I don't know what you mean. What's a goer?

Doofy
Clinically Insane
Nov 4, 2006, 08:49 PM

Is she a sport? Know whatahmean, nudge nudge?

IceEnclosure
Moderator Emeritus
Nov 4, 2006, 08:58 PM

any hole's a go in a bird.
ice

Kevin
Baninated
Nov 4, 2006, 09:15 PM

Oh she isn't' at all. But what does that have to do with looking nice?
Her version of looking nice simply differs from yours.

mac1896
Forum Regular
Nov 4, 2006, 10:15 PM

Sometimes it's just the matter of a poor self-image, and they just don't care what they look like at any given time.
Gee, I hope they're friendly..........

- - e r i k - -
Posting Junkie
Nov 4, 2006, 10:25 PM

:d

[ fb ] [ flickr ] [♬] [scl] [ last ] [ plaxo ]

- - e r i k - -
Posting Junkie
Nov 4, 2006, 10:27 PM

Haha!

[ fb ] [ flickr ] [♬] [scl] [ last ] [ plaxo ]

Kevin
Baninated
Nov 4, 2006, 10:33 PM

Originally Posted by mac1896 View Post
Sometimes it's just the matter of a poor self-image, and they just don't care what they look like at any given time.
Again, maybe their appearance isn't as important to them?

Actually people that have a good self image usually don't think they need to decorate themselves to impress people.

That usually falls under insecure. AKA the gal that wont go out without lipstick.

I think you believe certain things are important maybe, and are a bit shocked because others aren't like you?

macgeek2005  (op)
Mac Elite
Nov 4, 2006, 10:39 PM

Originally Posted by Kevin View Post
Again, maybe their appearance isn't as important to them?

Actually people that have a good self image usually don't think they need to decorate themselves to impress people.

That usually falls under insecure. AKA the gal that wont go out without lipstick.

I think you believe certain things are important maybe, and are a bit shocked because others aren't like you?
I am 100% against girls wearing lipstick, or doing things to themselves to make them look "prettier".

In fact, I don't think you'd find a person more strongly against makeup and plastic surgery, than me.

The self esteem of the average american girl today is so tragically low, and it was intentional. The people that make makeup, and the whole industry, they have brainwashed girls to believe that they're ugly. Ever wonder why it's considered "Arrogant" or "Concieted" to think that you look good? The state of mind that you need to be in to be "accepted" is a self-degrading "i'm no good" state of mind. It's sick, and wrong, and I am doing everything in my power to get the word out there that no one is ugly, and that beauty is in the eye of the beholder, and i'm trying to cure this world of the insanity pill it has taken, that has caused it to believe that "unnatural" means "prettier".

At the same time, i'd like this girl to grow out her hair, wear nicer clothes, and lose 10 pounds.

That doesn't really fall into the category of what i'm against. I don't want her to wear makeup or get a nose job.....

MrsLarry
Senior User
Nov 4, 2006, 11:43 PM

Women can respond to this and share their opinion or experiences, but it's mostly aimed towards guys.

Have you ever met a woman who has a really really pretty face, but she wears crappy clothes, and has a bad hairdo, so she doesn't really look that pretty in the end? Have you ever thought to yourself "Damn, she'd be gorgeous if she would just cut her hair and straighten it"? etc etc.

The reason i'm asking is because it's happened to me. Theres this girl that is by no means gorgeous at first look, or even at second look, but if I look at just her face, like from the eyes to the chin, her face is really pretty! Really really pretty! But she has semi-short hair which is died black, and she wears very un-girly clothes. She's also a teeny bit over-weight.

I wish she'd lose 10 pounds, have semi-long brown curly hair, and wear pretty clothes. She'd be the most beautiful girl i've met in a while!

Anyone have similar experiences?

I think you should ask her what she thinks you should change about you so you'd be attractive. Then see how you feel when she tells you.

edit: ok, after I re-read this, it sounded kinda mean and like something, well, something you know who would say... Let me explain. Cue the metaphor...

Let's say you go shopping for an orange, long sleeve tee shirt. Searching the closest department store, you find a yellow short sleeve tee shirt. Not quite what you're looking for. Now the big decision, do you buy it, or not? It's not what you came in looking for, but it's a nice shirt, you even know it would match those yellow shorts you have at home. But you don't buy it because you're so hung up on the orange shirt. You find no orange shirt, and go home empty handed. Now you've missed out on what could have been the most comfortable tee-shirt ever, just because you were hung up on image. Maybe you're ok with that. And that's cool. I would go home and say, ya know, hmmm, maybe I would have liked that yellow shirt after all. And hell, maybe you do buy it, maybe you hate it, but just save the receipt and you can return it. You follow?

Don't go into the store saying, "I'd like this shirt if if were different." Then it wouldn't be that shirt. Like the girl for who she is, or don't like her at all.

I hope everyone is following my tone here, not meant to be nasty, just trying to enlighten OP a lil bit. Let me know how it works out!
( Last edited by MrsLarry; Nov 4, 2006 at 11:59 PM. Reason: re-thinking)

KeriVit
Professional Poster
Nov 5, 2006, 12:40 AM

Is she nice?

Kevin
Baninated
Nov 5, 2006, 01:01 AM

If you try to change a person, he/she will eventually hold it against you later once the "honeymoon" period is over.

turtle777
Clinically Insane
Nov 5, 2006, 01:04 AM

and lose 10 pounds.
That certainly makes you look like you don't care about outside appearance.

-t

turtle777
Clinically Insane
Nov 5, 2006, 01:07 AM

Originally Posted by MrsLarry View Post
Don't go into the store saying, "I'd like this shirt if if were different." Then it wouldn't be that shirt. Like the girl for who she is, or don't like her at all.

I hope everyone is following my tone here, not meant to be nasty, just trying to enlighten OP a lil bit. Let me know how it works out!

Mrs. Larry has it down.

Don't "buy that shirt" and expect it to change.
Shirts don't do that.

-t

anonymac
Baninated
Nov 5, 2006, 01:11 AM

a girl should always look her prettiest in public. she should wear a dress, have long hair or a ladies hairstyle, should be obidient and pleasant, never speak to a man until spoken to, and never complain to a man about her personal problems but only focus on his interests or discussion.

turtle777
Clinically Insane
Nov 5, 2006, 01:12 AM

LOL, cue some Borat quotes, for a change...

-t

Kevin
Baninated
Nov 5, 2006, 01:28 AM

Originally Posted by what_the_heck View Post
That certainly makes you look like you don't care about outside appearance.

-t
Most shallow people don't realize they are. That is what makes them shallow.

macgeek2005  (op)
Mac Elite
Nov 5, 2006, 04:41 AM

Originally Posted by KeriVit View Post
Is she nice?
Oh yeah, she's very nice. The only thing I don't like about her is that she doesn't have a problem with getting drunk.

I'm never gonna get drunk in my life. So that's the only little glitch in her, besides the looks.

kernokerno
Nov 5, 2006, 04:55 AM

Some are, but many look like they got into a freak accident at the Sherwin-Williams store.
like this one?

PurpleGiant
Mac Elite
Nov 5, 2006, 05:11 AM

Originally Posted by andi*pandi View Post
*smack*

Rumor
Nov 5, 2006, 06:21 AM

And here I thought this was going to be a thread on impotence.
I like my water with hops, malt, hops, yeast, and hops.

Forum Links
Forum Rules