Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > Team MacNN > Folding: We have a problem. All Team MacNN PC users please check here

Folding: We have a problem. All Team MacNN PC users please check here (Page 2)
subego
Clinically Insane
Oct 17, 2008, 02:14 AM

Double (or triple) arrgh. It's none of those things. The new F@H core is crashing peoples' cards right and left.

I heart Amazon "returns are easy".

seanc
Moderator Emeritus
Oct 17, 2008, 12:50 PM

I added another card to my folding today an 8400GS. It's a PC at work that no-one is using apart from the occasional Google search.

OneMacGuy
Senior User
Oct 18, 2008, 04:06 AM

Originally Posted by subego View Post

You should be able to get over 5000... are you using the effective rate in FAHmon, or last frame only?

Or are you just [gasp] doing something other than folding with your computer?
Well, I had to reload the newest driver several times and run an old application called DriverCleaner to make it work right, but now I am getting around 6000 points per day from this one card! Thanks subego!
Chappaquidick 1, Cheney 0

OneMacGuy
Senior User
Oct 28, 2008, 09:07 PM

Well, now I am getting 0 ppd from the GPU, it simply will not run the GPU client anymore. I have uninstalled and reinstalled several times and it will not work. It just quits after about 30 seconds.

Any ideas anyone?
Chappaquidick 1, Cheney 0

macdude22
Forum Regular
Nov 4, 2008, 01:12 PM

Well my client on my MacPro is acting up again. I'm not messing with this till they get their act together. I'll leave my other clients running since they seem to be sort of functioning still. I've got an ati 3450 that i'm going to attempt to get the GPU client running on, Given the issues I've had since the update to version 6 final I don't hold out much hope. I miss the days of download seti at home, run seti at home. Easy. Always worked. Graphix were neat looking.
"Don't try to be a great man, just be a man."

macdude22
Forum Regular
Nov 5, 2008, 03:30 PM

I've got an ATI 3450 installed in a P4 running Vista and I'm getting the following error.

At present, only ATI Radeon HD 2xxx/3xxx/4xxx and ATI FireGL Vx6xx GPUs are supported the client did not recognize your GPU card.

I've uninstalled and reinstalled the drivers from the location they suggest.

http://ati.amd.com/support/driver.html

However this is 8.1 or 8.57 or something I don't know, and you need 8.7? Is there some beta driver I need that I'm not finding?
"Don't try to be a great man, just be a man."

subego
Clinically Insane
Nov 7, 2008, 03:31 PM

I've been checking in, but somehow missed these.

Originally Posted by OneMacGuy View Post
Any ideas anyone?

What do your logs say? There have been some serious problems with the new cores. My first guess is that the client threw 5 units and has shut down for 24 hours thinking (incorrectly) that your card is bad.

The quick fix is to nuke your queue.dat file and your work directory.

Originally Posted by macdude22 View Post
Well my client on my MacPro is acting up again.

Same problem as before?

Originally Posted by macdude22 View Post
I've got an ATI 3450 installed in a P4 running Vista and I'm getting the following error.

Okay... that's a stumper.

Shaktai
Mac Elite
Dec 19, 2008, 11:36 PM

Well I'm trying the GPU client on my Core i7 940 box with an ATI 4850 512mb graphics card. Will see what happens.

Gareth Johnston
Dec 20, 2008, 12:39 AM

I've tried Folding for the past couple of days through BootCamp, constantly crashing the card. I've given up. Hopefully things will become a bit more reliable in the future. Most of the units seemed to end with Nans. Which after being 89% complete is a pain in the @@@
Mac Pro 2.8GHz x 8, 10GB, 320HDD etc.........
Saving for 32 core Mac Pro. Only £1376.93 to go.

Shaktai
Mac Elite
Dec 20, 2008, 01:15 AM

Originally Posted by Gareth Johnston View Post
I've tried Folding for the past couple of days through BootCamp, constantly crashing the card. I've given up. Hopefully things will become a bit more reliable in the future. Most of the units seemed to end with Nans. Which after being 89% complete is a pain in the @@@
Yeah, there seems to be a lot of that. I'll give it a try, but already had a few problems and one unit crashed at 30%. I'm doing good in WCG so not going to waste a lot of time on trying to get this to run, but will make a reasonable effort.

Shaktai
Mac Elite
Dec 21, 2008, 03:06 AM

Okay, I give up and surrender. Trying to get this working right about made me crazy not to mention that my core i7 Windows box freaked out (specifically windows Vista) and took me 8 hours to get it running right again. Just going to leave well enough alone. Getting some great numbers on World Community Grid and will leave it at that instead of trying to eak out a few more on folding using the GPU. Will probably have to reinstall Vista from scratch but don't have the time to do that now and at least BOINC is running well.

Problems might have been heat but all the Folding units would error out between 10 and 35%. A lot of time crunching with nothing to show for it. Maybe if I can improve the overall cooling on the Windows Core i7 940 box I'll try again some day, but not now.

On the positive side, my failed efforts did earn me a whopping 41 credits on FAH yesterday.
( Last edited by Shaktai; Dec 21, 2008 at 03:25 AM. )

subego
Clinically Insane
Dec 28, 2008, 03:19 PM

Originally Posted by Shaktai View Post
Problems might have been heat but all the Folding units would error out between 10 and 35%. A lot of time crunching with nothing to show for it. Maybe if I can improve the overall cooling on the Windows Core i7 940 box I'll try again some day, but not now.

I don't have any ATI cards, so I'm not in the loop there, but if you had an Nvidia card I'd definitely say heat or your power supply are the top off-the-cuff guesses as to what the problem is. They're pushing these cards really hard.

The new larger WU have made all my cards run about 5 degrees hotter. My coolest card is running at about 78º with the the side of the case popped open and the fan at 90%. The fan at least drowns out the screams of the capacitors as they beg for mercy.

The power supply issue, in a nutshell, is that the cards are pulling coordinates off the memory chips so fast at this point that even the teeniest drop in voltage can lead to a bad coordinate, which throws the whole simulation into outer space. This wouldn't be a problem in any other context (IOW, they're running the cards out of spec).

Again, these are Nvidia problems, so take them with a grain of salt. Especially the heat part. I don't think Nvidia cares how hot their cards run.

One parting thought, which I haven't tested myself since my rig has been pretty stable, is to go into "Configure" and run the GPU client at 90% (or whatever you can make stable).
( Last edited by subego; Dec 28, 2008 at 04:44 PM. )

Forum Links
Forum Rules