Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Alternative Operating Systems > Ubuntu Server 11.10 on MacPro1,1 beside Solaris 11

Ubuntu Server 11.10 on MacPro1,1 beside Solaris 11
rehoot
Dedicated MacNNer
Oct 20, 2011, 06:03 PM

I installed Ubuntu 11.10 oneiric on an old Mac Pro ("MacPro1,1" which is the first of the Intel Mac Pros) as a second boot next to Solaris 11. There were several complications: Solaris installs a custom grub (legacy) bootloader with modifications needed for beadm (boot image manager), and I couldn't find a way to boot into Ubuntu 11.10 64bit from the old grub. I also installed Ubuntu on a "non-first disk," which can cause problems.

Hardware: I am able to access external drives that are connected through a low-end PCI card that has two eSATA slots on it. I can't seem to access another drive that is wired to one of the two open PATA plugs that are on the motherboard (and a real pain to access to connect the SATA wire). I might have a problem with that connection because before I installed Ubuntu I was unable to boot from that drive to an OS X disk that I used in the previous week. I might have bumped the wire when trying to plug another wire next to it, but I am not sure. I'll test it in a few weeks).

Sound works out the back line-out (mini-stereo jack) but not the front line-out or the speaker. I haven't tested the optical out.

After I installed Ubuntu, a green icon appeared at the top about hardware, and it had a button to click to activate the Broadcom driver to make the wifi card work. Networking appears to be normal--I downloaded updates already. The screen flickers at boot time, but that is to be expected. I have not tested the video to see if it is optimized.

Some things to note:
1) Do NOT use the default install for ubuntu server because it won't work with the 32bit EFI firmware on old Mac Pros (new Mac Pros might be able to use the standard install if they have 64bit EFI firmware). Go to this page:
Ubuntu 11.10 (Oneiric Ocelot)
and install:
http://d2ce223loljjr2.cloudfront.net...md64%2Bmac.iso

2) Burn the ISO to a CD and boot from it by holding the option key (or alt key if you have a non-Mac keyboard). If you have a non-mac keyboard, boot into a Unix-like OS and run "eject" from the terminal and "eject -t" or "eject -t cd0" to close it (depending on OS).

3) If you are prompted about where to install grub, install it on the disk where you are installing ubuntu server. If you install it on the first disk and there is a different version of grub, you might have problems. You will have problems if that other version of grub was installed by Solaris. If your other grub is for OS X, you can probably overwrite it, but you might have to learn how to rebuild the boot loader to boot into OS X.

4) My install failed when trying to install grub. If grub fails to install, MAKE A NOTE OF THE DEVICE NAME AND THE INSTRUCTIONS GIVEN ON THE SCREEN. My device was /dev/sdc2, but yours might be different. Chose the option to continue installing to allow me to manually install grub later.

5) If grub failed to install... finish the regular install and then reboot from the CD and choose the option that says something about an emergency restore or recover. That will lead you through a bunch of options for language and keyboard and things, and then you want to select the option to boot into a shell script at /dev/sdc2 (or whichever disk you chose as the install disk). If you chose the wrong option you will waste loads of time trying to remap all the search paths and then your disk is messed up when you boot for real.

6) From the shell prompt that you loaded from the install CD, run "grub-install /dev/sdc2" (or whatever your disk is). You do NOT need to use the "sudo" command! Follow the directions and be careful that you select the correct disk for installation.

7) Reboot, perhaps holding the option key. You will come to a black screen and the grub prompt. Type this, but change your disk name if it is not sdc2:

linux /vmlinuz root=/dev/sdc2
boot

If you want to do other things like add kernal options, add them at the end of the first line. If you want to load a RAM disk at boot time, do that with the initrd command below the "linux" command and before the "boot" command (i.e.,: "initrd /initrd").

8) To build a grub2 config file, go to the Terminal prompt and run this:
sudo grub-mkconfig -o /boot/grub/grub.cfg

That command might build numerous config files, and you might want the one that mentions booting to /dev/sdc2 (or whatever /dev/sda2 or whatever you install destination is).
( Last edited by rehoot; Oct 26, 2011 at 04:28 PM. )
Mac Pro Quad: 2.66GHz; 4 GB Ram; 4x500GB drives; Radeon X1900, 23" Cinema Screen, APC UPS
PowerBook G4: 1.33GHz; 768MB Ram; 60GB drive

besson3c
Clinically Insane
Oct 20, 2011, 06:33 PM

Can I ask why you've gotten into setting up multiple physical partitions rather than getting into using VMs?

Messing with the legacy and newer Grub, Solaris, and everything else sounds yucky. Your host could present those disks to the VMs as block devices if your VM host supports that, or else as shared disks. If you need maximum performance you could setup KVM as your VM host running LInux and get into paravirt via the virtio stuff, although you probably wouldn't be able to run OS X that way and Solaris doesn't support virtio (network or block devices).

rehoot  (op)
Dedicated MacNNer
Oct 20, 2011, 06:45 PM

I am transitioning away from Solaris due to lack of Solaris drivers for some external drives. I was testing Ubuntu server to see if it could access the drives, and I'll remove Solaris soon. I use VirtualBox in Solaris to run ubuntu (client), and it works fine other than not being able to access the external drives. Solaris can't present a drive to Virtual Box unless it can see it (as far as I know). My current ZFS shares to the VBox are shared via NFS. I use the Mac Pro as a file server and sometimes a worker to run statistical apps that use lots of CPU power.

p.s. I wanted to use ZFS, so Solaris or Ubuntu were the free choices. I hear that Z-410 for Mac is almost ready, and that might work well.
( Last edited by rehoot; Oct 20, 2011 at 06:56 PM. )
Mac Pro Quad: 2.66GHz; 4 GB Ram; 4x500GB drives; Radeon X1900, 23" Cinema Screen, APC UPS

besson3c
Clinically Insane
Oct 20, 2011, 07:21 PM

Ahh, I didn't realize that your host was Solaris. Yes, if the drives are not supported by the host you won't get them in the guest.

There are other free options though, particularly OpenIndiana which just had a major new release. The OpenIndiana guys are also working on Virtio support.

I'm not sure what you mean by using Ubuntu to use ZFS, but if it were me I'd setup your environment with:

- Debian + KVM: host
- OpenIndiana + Virtio (when the latter is ready): VM guest
- Physical block devices presented to your VM guest

With the block devices running as your guest you'll have all of the support and advantages to running a Debian based host, plus your ZFS shares being offered to all other machines just as you have it now. For now you'll have to take a performance hit not having the paravirtualized Virtio block device, but if you can put up with that until the Virtio driver is ready this will work. When the Virtio driver is ready to go you should be able to just switch to it in your KVM config, and your OpenIndiana guest disk performance will be the same as it would be if it were the host.

I'm not sure how OS X needs to fit into this picture, but...

rehoot  (op)
Dedicated MacNNer
Oct 21, 2011, 01:34 AM

Originally Posted by besson3c View Post
I'm not sure what you mean by using Ubuntu to use ZFS, but if it were me I'd setup your environment with:

- Debian + KVM: host
- OpenIndiana + Virtio (when the latter is ready): VM guest
- Physical block devices presented to your VM guest
I'm not sure how OS X needs to fit into this picture, but...
thx. I started exploring my options with this. The unknowns are which OSs have support for my hardware. This page allegedly lists all the guests that can run:
Guest Support Status - KVM

and this one has a hardware test (my cpu passed and i'll see if I can test the bios when I reboot--but I suspect the procedures are different for Mac):
http://tinyurl.com/3qetqcy

I'm not using OS X on that machine, but if I really had to I could swap a disk (OS X client doesn't virtualize, and that might be on purpose).

besson3c
Clinically Insane
Oct 21, 2011, 01:55 AM

No problem, I hope something I've provided is somehow useful!

KVM shouldn't need any particular BIOS support, anything that runs an OS that supports running KVM should work fine. I believe all 64 bit Mac Intel hardware support Intel VT, so you should be set.

KVM is very slick. A lot of big hosting companies such as Linode, Slicehost, Rackspace, Amazon are probably either using KVM or Xen. KVM is a lot easier to setup than Xen though...

Forum Links
Forum Rules