Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > Battery Latch

Battery Latch
NormalMC
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Sep 13, 2002, 01:18 AM

Since I've had my tibook (400) I've had trouble swapping the battery out. It seems the latch has become stuck between an 'almost latched' postion, but the battery is a bit loose to the touch. When I use it as a laptop - by definition, on my lap - the battery sometimes gets loose to a point of either shutting down or not letting me power on. Anyone else have this problem, and if so, any fixes? I'm a bit shy to bring it in for a look see...
"Don't try to keep up with the Jones'... drag them down to your level."

seanyepez
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 13, 2002, 01:50 AM

I fixed my battery contact issues by ripping off a piece of paper and putting it on the side closer to the edge of the front casing. Since, I've had significantly less instances where the machine has powered off unexpectedly.

MountainMac
Dedicated MacNNer
Sep 13, 2002, 03:08 AM

Yep, absolutely had this problem when I first got my TiBook; search this forum for solutions, but essentially you get a piece of shrinkwrap tubing from Radio Shack or elsewhere, put it on the battery peg right next to the contacts, shrink it to fit (with a hair dryer or even a hand dryer in a public restroom) and voila!!! You're OK. At least it solved my power down problem; apparently it's been fixed in later TiBooks, but mine's a 400 like yours, so I bet dollars to doughnuts that's it.

Like I said, search this forum, and if I can pull up the external site with all the info I'll post it.

MM
Plato--what's a "Chickie Run"?

Finrock
Forum Regular
Sep 15, 2002, 01:18 AM

I'm not so sure this is the same problem that we've all heard about. I think Normal's problem is that the actual battery latch isn't functioning properly.

Norm, I'm guessing your PowerBook isn't under warranty still, is it?

-Finrock

Forum Links
Forum Rules