Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > Which colleges ban P2P? Which don't?

Which colleges ban P2P? Which don't?
macintologist
Professional Poster
Feb 10, 2003, 03:45 PM

http://digitalmass.boston.com/news/g...2002/1007.html

Since a lot of you on MacNN are currently college students this would be a good place to ask.

Is there a list or database of colleges that shows which ones are more liberal towards P2P activity and which are more aggressive. I heard somewhere that USC did not block Napster even though it was under pressure to. Ahhh back in the nappy days.

This may sound rediculous but this is one of the deciding factors of which college I chose to go to few years from now.

What does your college do?

G4ME
Addicted to MacNN
Feb 10, 2003, 04:41 PM

well UMaine has put a cap on Kazza, about .25k/sec and limewire won't stay connected, but its all about direct connect, and bit torrent, i have gotten everything i ever wanted from those alone, so i am still happy

I GOT WASTED WITH PHIL SHERRY!!!

olePigeon
Clinically Insane
Feb 10, 2003, 04:49 PM

Similar here at CSU Sacramento. I don't have any P2P software by my rommate says that Kazaa is REALLY slow and other programs like eDonkey and Limewire don't work period.
"…I contend that we are both atheists. I just believe in one fewer god than
you do. When you understand why you dismiss all the other possible gods,
you will understand why I dismiss yours." - Stephen F. Roberts

def H H H
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Feb 10, 2003, 05:00 PM

Our college promotes P2P in a way. They let us use anything, but in return, we MUST turn off filesharing. So, you can download all you want, but just don't share files. At the beginning of the year, they gave us instructions to turning off sharing for every popular P2P program at the time. I thought it was stupid, but hey, who am I to judge. And most of my dorm are PC kids who know nothing about nothing. So, their IE's are hijacked, their AIM passes are taken, and they keep getting booted off every hour....but everything's okay as long as they can get their music off Kazaa. Ok.....very off subject.

mac-at-kearsarge
Mac Elite
Feb 10, 2003, 05:27 PM

New Hmapshire Tech Inst, is the same as Maine (probably with the same ISP service out of Boston. However the students here are protesting heavily and the school is looking into reversing this.
iGeek

macvillage.net
Addicted to MacNN
Feb 10, 2003, 06:02 PM

Originally posted by def H H H:
Our college promotes P2P in a way. They let us use anything, but in return, we MUST turn off filesharing. So, you can download all you want, but just don't share files. At the beginning of the year, they gave us instructions to turning off sharing for every popular P2P program at the time. I thought it was stupid, but hey, who am I to judge. And most of my dorm are PC kids who know nothing about nothing. So, their IE's are hijacked, their AIM passes are taken, and they keep getting booted off every hour....but everything's okay as long as they can get their music off Kazaa. Ok.....very off subject.
That's a legal issue. They are responcible for what's transfered.

def H H H
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Feb 10, 2003, 06:08 PM

I know. I meant passing out the papers and the e-mails were stupid. Of course, it covered their backs a little but...they could've done something else to get the point across and to get some ears to listen. Cause, half the kids I know ignored it. They even posted a notice that some companies were looking into our school and threatened to seek legal actions. And of course, being college drunkies, they could care less. But anyways, I don't use sharing progs, so I don't care.

fromthecloud
Mac Enthusiast
Feb 10, 2003, 07:04 PM

Here at the University of Evansville we are completely locked down. No P2P whatsoever.
chown -R us:us yourbase

Dissent is not un-American.

UNTeMac
Mac Elite
Feb 10, 2003, 07:18 PM

UNT was threatened by the RIAA and shut down their gnutella ports and blocked other programs in a similar way pretty soon after I got into off campus housing. Stephen F. Austin also apparently blocks Kazaa etc.

So far, it appears the private ISP's are still open, but how much longer till the RIAA gets to them too?
"This show is filmed before a live studio audience as soon as someone removes that dead guy!" - Stephen Colbert

sek929
Posting Junkie
Feb 10, 2003, 08:02 PM

Most colleges now block P2P, but there is a wonderful program called Direct Connect (now with a fully function OSX version) that most campuses have students that have setup hubs and such. Also you will see speeds in excess of 600K/sec.

macvillage.net
Addicted to MacNN
Feb 10, 2003, 08:58 PM

There are some problems with DirectConnect.

Many fools share their entire hard drive. I know friends at other colleges who printed out kids excel spreadsheets with financial information, and plastered it all over the dorms... Can also access email's, and other fun stuff

If it weren't for the fact that I don't want to be kicked out for that, I would be doing the same.

Funny stuff.

But those kids whose private information was reveled were pissed... then again, it's your fault for revealing your entire drive, so can't feel sorry.

Just a friendly warning.

Ozmodiar
Mac Elite
Feb 10, 2003, 08:59 PM

Marquette blocks everything, yet people with PCs still manage to get on Kazaa and download whatever they want.

olePigeon
Clinically Insane
Feb 10, 2003, 09:02 PM

Well at Sac State it's not just P2P, everything except Telnet is blocked. You can do webbrowsing, play SOME games, but you can't host ANYTHING.

So games like StarCraft, Counter Strike, etc. are limited to joining but not serving. And some games don't work period.

I hate this place.
"…I contend that we are both atheists. I just believe in one fewer god than
you do. When you understand why you dismiss all the other possible gods,
you will understand why I dismiss yours." - Stephen F. Roberts

sek929
Posting Junkie
Feb 11, 2003, 12:07 AM

Originally posted by macvillage.net:
There are some problems with DirectConnect.

Many fools share their entire hard drive. I know friends at other colleges who printed out kids excel spreadsheets with financial information, and plastered it all over the dorms... Can also access email's, and other fun stuff

If it weren't for the fact that I don't want to be kicked out for that, I would be doing the same.

Funny stuff.

But those kids whose private information was reveled were pissed... then again, it's your fault for revealing your entire drive, so can't feel sorry.

Just a friendly warning.
Haha yeah, a bunch of kids do that here too, I'm not enough of an ******* though.

I only share the music, all my movies (divx, Simpsons, etc..), and my Hotline server's root folder.

I''m the only one on the network that when you download it starts with /Volumes, the solitary OSX user

OwlBoy
Addicted to MacNN
Feb 11, 2003, 12:16 AM

Originally posted by def H H H:
. And most of my dorm are PC kids who know nothing about nothing. So, their IE's are hijacked, their AIM passes are taken, and they keep getting booted off every hour....but everything's okay as long as they can get their music off Kazaa. Ok.....very off subject.
I Know what you mean...

-Owl

macvillage.net
Addicted to MacNN
Feb 11, 2003, 12:30 AM

my pc laptop is so damn clean, it's not even funny.

Spyware Blaster as a prevention technique
Spybot and AdAware 6 to detect

Built in firewall, and Sygate firewall

Norton Virus Scan, weekly scans, as well as on download

Login screen when I'm not in front of it.

None of this crap p2p garbage.

Clean as a whistle. No problems, works good.

my mac is bascially the same.

mac-at-kearsarge
Mac Elite
Feb 11, 2003, 01:03 AM

The real question you need to ask, is if you can get braodband in your dorms. My school has no problem with it, so I have it and am sharing it with others (No for profit though, just to help pay the bill), this was also nessacary more in my school, since the internet they provide isn't hardwired ethernet, instead it's 802.11b using a no-name company who access points sucks, resulting in less then dial up speeds with high drop offs ( <--They are connected to a triple T1 connection).
iGeek

macintologist  (op)
Professional Poster
Feb 11, 2003, 11:14 AM

Does anyone know if Oberlin is against p2p?

Forum Links
Forum Rules