Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > the freaking mobility 9000 and maya

the freaking mobility 9000 and maya
hijynxxx
Mar 14, 2003, 04:16 AM

i have been searching for someone else trying to actually USE maya on a 15 inch 1ghz with ati 9000 mobility, but instead have enjoyed reading about all the users who can't wait to try out their new powerbooks with maya. well bad news. the 1ghz powerbook doesn't even ship with specific drivers for the 9000 (apparently it's using the 8500 drivers), which really pisses me off. anyone know what's up with this??

also, alias wave front has so kindly placed a nice table on their site stating which cards are and aren't compatable with maya and the mac.

http://www.aliaswavefront.com/en/Com...ya_45_osx.html

take note how the 17 inch powerbook is not qualified to run maya either. i suppose apple/alias wavefront does not intend for their users to use maya with a powerbook much. year of the laptop my ass.

maya freezes up the whole machine after one object is placed on the screen and i try to do ANYTHING with it. i have done a fresh install. i am becoming more angry with apple by the day.

anyone else share my pain? or have a solution?

thanks for reading > jason
( Last edited by hijynxxx; Mar 14, 2003 at 05:35 AM. )

Hollywood
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Mar 14, 2003, 04:32 AM

That is bad news. I hope there is a solution before I start using Maya Unlimited on my PB.
Don't believe what you see.
See it and Believe it.

Richard Hollywood
Hollywood Special After Effects
www.hollywoodsae.com

Eug
Clinically Insane
Mar 14, 2003, 12:58 PM

Not qualified in this case simply means "The functioning of Maya on this system has not been tested." So it doesn't mean that the 17" won't work.

Has anyone else tried Maya on their PB? How much memory do you have?

As for the drivers, they work fine for me. Not sure if they're common 8500/9000 drivers, or else 8500 specific. If the latter then the speed is probably not optimized fully, but it should usually work. Mind you all I do with OpenGL is gaming and Quartz Extreme. No Maya for me.

Also what OS revision? The OS X.2.2 version was a bit buggy, corrected with OS X.2.3. However X.2.3 has problems with Geforce cards. Strangely enough however, Maya has not been "formally" tested with X.2.4, although they recommend using X.2.4.

They do mention that if you have LESS than 32 MB of video memory then it will be unstable, but the Ti should be fine with 64 MB. One wonders if Maya 4.5 is simply just buggy.

badnewsblair
Senior User
Mar 14, 2003, 05:05 PM

"Not qualified", I hope you're right Eug! The whole reason I'm getting a 17-inch is for MAYA (well, the major reason). Hopefully you can get your problems fixed with a workaround Hijynxxx. Maybe someone out there has fixed their situation.
[ 15 inch Macbook Pro 2.8 GHz Core 2 Duo ][ 20 inch Intel iMac 2 GB RAM / 256 MB ATI XT 1600 ][ iPhone OG (3GS on Reservation)][ White iPod 5th Gen. 60GB ]

hijynxxx  (op)
Mar 14, 2003, 05:07 PM

Originally posted by Eug:

Not qualified in this case simply means "The functioning of Maya on this system has not been tested." So it doesn't mean that the 17" won't work.

right. i didn't say it wouldn't work. i said it wasn't qualified. which is what they are saying because they haven't tested it.

Has anyone else tried Maya on their PB? How much memory do you have?

i used to have an 867 with 32 megs of vram and it ran on that machine. i have the 512 megs of ram that came in the 1ghz.

As for the drivers, they work fine for me. Not sure if they're common 8500/9000 drivers, or else 8500 specific. If the latter then the speed is probably not optimized fully, but it should usually work. Mind you all I do with OpenGL is gaming and Quartz Extreme. No Maya for me.

the drivers work fine for me, too . . except when trying to run certain screen savers (same kind of freeze) or MAYA, which is the point of my post. i'm glad you are content if they don't have specific drivers for your video card, but once again, the point of my post has to do with maya.

Also what OS revision? The OS X.2.2 version was a bit buggy, corrected with OS X.2.3. However X.2.3 has problems with Geforce cards. Strangely enough however, Maya has not been "formally" tested with X.2.4, although they recommend using X.2.4.

i have tried it on 10.2.1 and 10.2.4. both times, same problem.

They do mention that if you have LESS than 32 MB of video memory then it will be unstable, but the Ti should be fine with 64 MB. One wonders if Maya 4.5 is simply just buggy.

i agree that i wonder about maya being buggy . . it obviouslly has some problems/bugs, but i think the source of my problem lies in an incompatible video card considering i can't last more than 5-10 seconds in the program without it freezing the entire machine.

thanks for your post and time > jason

MetalArtist
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Mar 14, 2003, 07:50 PM

Well maya doesnt work well under 10.2.3...AW's site reported this and the problems were fixed by apple with the 10.2.4 update. I havent had any problems modeling in maya, except for some sculpt surfaces ui glitches, and i bit of an issue with responsiveness also with sculpt surfaces. Is there going to be unlimited on OSX, i called AW regarding this issue , and they said the product was under development, so it sounds logical......But for all u 3d gurus wanting studio level capability on a Mac, ur prolly gonna have to hold out till 10.3 which is when Apple will be including support for High-End 3D Hardware like Quadro/QuadroGo/FireGL

hijynxxx  (op)
Mar 14, 2003, 10:07 PM

Originally posted by MetalArtist:
Well maya doesnt work well under 10.2.3...AW's site reported this and the problems were fixed by apple with the 10.2.4 update. I havent had any problems modeling in maya, except for some sculpt surfaces ui glitches, and i bit of an issue with responsiveness also with sculpt surfaces. Is there going to be unlimited on OSX, i called AW regarding this issue , and they said the product was under development, so it sounds logical......But for all u 3d gurus wanting studio level capability on a Mac, ur prolly gonna have to hold out till 10.3 which is when Apple will be including support for High-End 3D Hardware like Quadro/QuadroGo/FireGL
are you using a powerbook or a tower to do maya in?

thansks > jason

hijynxxx  (op)
Mar 17, 2003, 11:09 PM

something was wrong with my hardware . . i got it swaped out for another 1ghz ti and everything seems fine. whoohooo. thanks to anyone who posted/helped.

> jason

Forum Links
Forum Rules