Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Consumer Hardware & Components > Thoughts on the Kensington Studio Mouse

Thoughts on the Kensington Studio Mouse
poulh
Mac Enthusiast
Mar 28, 2003, 12:26 PM

Anyone have this mouse? I know its snobby, but I don't want to get it if it looks bad next to my G4 iMac (what color is it anyway? Gray, White, Metallic).

Are the drivers good? Is it responsive? Anyone tried it while playing a game?

I see that it is wireless, is it bluetooth (i don't think it is).

Are there any good bluetooth mice out there?

jparisi
Dedicated MacNNer
Mar 28, 2003, 12:49 PM

Originally posted by poulh:
Anyone have this mouse? I know its snobby, but I don't want to get it if it looks bad next to my G4 iMac (what color is it anyway? Gray, White, Metallic).

Are the drivers good? Is it responsive? Anyone tried it while playing a game?

I see that it is wireless, is it bluetooth (i don't think it is).

Are there any good bluetooth mice out there?
I cant coment on the studio mouse for i have never used it (no, its not bluetooth). Im pretty sure there are no BT mice for mac yet.

However, do youself a favor and check out the logitech MX700. It doesnt look like a match made in heaven with the imac, but its an excellent mouse. I absolutely love it and it's 8 buttons is great for gaming. The charge lasts a very long time too.

check it out

anti-sleep
Dedicated MacNNer
Mar 28, 2003, 01:59 PM

I've got the corded version of the Kensington. It's grey with white sides, and looks just fine next to my iMac. The touch sensor scroll pad is a little distracting at first, but you get used to it. It's a great mouse in terms of ergonomics, my hand doesn't get sore like it did with the Apple Pro Mouse. It has smooth tracking and a nice, solid click. I would recommend it.

-Q-
Mar 28, 2003, 05:18 PM

Check out this thread.

I hated the mouse myself. Replaced it with a Logitech that works great.

-Q-
Mar 28, 2003, 05:20 PM

Originally posted by anti-sleep:
I've got the corded version of the Kensington. It's grey with white sides, and looks just fine next to my iMac.
Are you finding the sides getting dirty? Or have they changed that about the design? The one I had, that white was a rubbery surface that got really ugly after picking up some dirt after 4 months use...

coolmac
Mar 28, 2003, 10:00 PM

It sucks. Feels cheap, the sides constantly get dirty, keeps locking up.
Customer service sucks, I emailed four times, each time I get an email asking me to explain the problem, then when I do I get a return email asking me the same question all over again.

I just chucked it a few days ago & got a Macally iOptinet mouse temporarily until I find something I really like.

I'll probably get another Logitech MX700, the Kensington Studio Mouse was like throwing $70 down the toilet.

JB72
Mac Elite
Mar 28, 2003, 11:22 PM

I have a Kensington Studio mouse. I actually liked the feel of it, and of course it looks great. But I had problems with it jumping after sleep. I don't know if I have a bad unit or what. Also the touch scroll just wasn't as easy as it should be.

I really like Kensington too. Shame.

Dale Sorel
Mac Elite
Mar 28, 2003, 11:45 PM

I have one and like it plenty, looks great with my FS iMac.

YMMV

poulh  (op)
Mac Enthusiast
Mar 31, 2003, 05:09 PM

So some people like them, others don't.

Does anyone know if these are on display at best buy, apple store, compusa, etc?

-Q-
Mar 31, 2003, 06:28 PM

Originally posted by poulh:
So some people like them, others don't.

Does anyone know if these are on display at best buy, apple store, compusa, etc?
CompUSA usually has them, but they're typically not connected to a computer so you really can't get a good feel for how they work with a computer, especially the scroll pad. But you should at least get a basic idea of how it fits your hand and how it will work for you...

bbales
Mac Elite
Mar 31, 2003, 08:22 PM

Best Buy usually also has a nice selection of mice out for people to at least see how they feel in their hands. Of course, not all are Mac mice, but you can check the boxes to see what works with what.

I have a cordless optical Logitech mouse that I like pretty well. I'm looking for one for my 12-in PB (my old Mac optical has too short a cord!). We're visiting a mall with an Apple store later this week, so I can see what Apple is selling.

sensorfreaky
Dedicated MacNNer
Apr 1, 2003, 12:44 AM

If you want to get a decent mouse for its looks then look no further. The Kensington Studio mouse looks like it grew out of a G4 iMac. It looks like it was designed for it. That said, get the corded version or else you will be very disappointed with the wireless version's RF refresh rates. What does that mean? Well if you play games, use photoshop, and do things with the mouse that requires more accuracy and responsiveness, you need the high refresh rate of a corded mouse. As far as I know, the only company that makes wireless mice with refresh rates equivalent to corded mice is Logitech. Their MX-series of wireless mice is as responsive and accurate as corded mice and I can personally vouch for that. The Kensington studio mouse wireless has noticeable lag due to lower refresh rates inherent with most wireless mice currently available. This results in reduced accuracy and responsiveness.

The other things people said about the Kensington studio mouse are all true. Yes it gets dirty easy (especially the white rubbery sides). Yes it feels cheaply made (compared to Apple, Microsoft, and Logitech mice). And yes, it's not as ergonomic as other better-designed mice available (due to its low profile). Let me add my own personal gripe: the solid-state scroll wheel despite it's cool/wow-factor, just plain sucks from a functional standpoint. If you use the scroll wheel to browse long pages and websites often, be prepared to develop finger cramps and be totally annoyed at how much finger-pressure the solid-state scroll wheel requires to achieve proper input. Kensington needs to revamp this design so that it is more sensitive to touch. I found that I had to press firmly in order for my input to be recongnized. After an hour of browsing, my index finger was fatigued. Three hours later, I was at the customer service desk at CompUSA returning the stupid thing.

Otherwise, it's a very pretty looking mouse. Get it if you want looks. While it may not be the best in function, it's better than average.

If you really have to have a cordless mouse, the only acceptable mice are any of Logitech's MX-series, take your pick.

poulh  (op)
Mac Enthusiast
Apr 1, 2003, 10:45 AM

sensorfreaky's comment made up my mind... if its laggy then i'm not getting it. that would drive me nuts.

i also found a picture of one yesterday on a website (think it was korean) and it looked really gray (wouldn't match my iMac).

I'll just wait for a bluetooth mouse (hopefully) sometime this summer (apple are you listening?)

Forum Links
Forum Rules