Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Desktops > 2004, the year of the desktop?

2004, the year of the desktop?
coolmac
Apr 20, 2003, 07:57 PM

Steve Jobs declared 2003 the year of the laptop, will he declare 2004 the year of the desktop?

hmurchison2001
Senior User
Apr 20, 2003, 10:01 PM

I expect to see the Powermacs not only erase the performance Gap but start exceeding the performance of Wintel and Winamd systems.

I expect to see Dual 90nm 970 systems with
cutting edge Audio and video performance.

The time is now. Apple needs to hit on all Cylinders next year to get marketshare and Revenue up in significant numbers.

The lowend Macs should all be 130nm G4's with the Midrange and High End(Xserves included) should be Uni and Dual Processor 970 systems.

Lateralus
Moderator Emeritus
Apr 20, 2003, 10:29 PM

We shall see.

::maroma::
Addicted to MacNN
Apr 20, 2003, 11:43 PM

I certainly hope so. I also have a feeling that Apple has some fun stuff planned for 2004. That is the 20 year anniversary of the infamous 1984 after all.

fromthecloud
Mac Enthusiast
Apr 21, 2003, 12:49 AM

Originally posted by ::maroma:::
I certainly hope so. I also have a feeling that Apple has some fun stuff planned for 2004. That is the 20 year anniversary of the infamous 1984 after all.
Very true...might we see a 20th Anniversary mac? Hopefully, it will look cool and outperform everything else out there, reminding the computer world that Apple is here to stay and on the up and up.
chown -R us:us yourbase

Dissent is not un-American.

Truepop
Mac Elite
Apr 21, 2003, 01:14 AM

WE already saw a 20th Anniversary Macintosh in 1997 and I don't want to see another one. I like that one very much so and want to own one but when it was new it was 7k-8k. However an apple tech set it up for you.

I think Apple is going to hit everything big this year. and have people in a constant state of buy.

New laptops. new software. new OS. New services. new powermacs. new ipods. new everything. new customers too.

Superchicken
Addicted to MacNN
Apr 21, 2003, 02:44 AM

2004 will be the year of apple period. They'd best scrap the G4 and just go with low speed low power 970s!

I bet they can get better prices if they just buy in bulk for all their systems.

bradoesch
Professional Poster
Apr 21, 2003, 12:17 PM

Originally posted by Superchic[k]en:
2004 will be the year of apple period. They'd best scrap the G4 and just go with low speed low power 970s!

I bet they can get better prices if they just buy in bulk for all their systems.

Low speed 970s?

dampeoples
Mac Elite
Apr 21, 2003, 12:59 PM

It's the year of the tablet!

dfiler
Grizzled Veteran
Apr 21, 2003, 01:12 PM

Originally posted by coolmac:
Steve Jobs declared 2003 the year of the laptop, will he declare 2004 the year of the desktop?
Actually...

Steve declared it the year of the 'portable', not 'laptop'.
Intentionally? That's another discussion.

Lateralus
Moderator Emeritus
Apr 21, 2003, 01:19 PM

Actually, I think he declared 2003 to be the year of the 'notebook'.

dfiler
Grizzled Veteran
Apr 21, 2003, 01:30 PM

Originally posted by PowerMacMan:
Actually, I think he declared 2003 to be the year of the 'notebook'.
Oops. Guess I should hold my tongue and watch my use of quotes at the same time.

I don't think Steve's line was intended as a subliminal charactization of Apple's master plan. Rather, it was another a way of hyping the products he was announcing that day. Look, these products are so good, its the year of these products.

derekn
Senior User
Apr 21, 2003, 02:24 PM

I hope it will, the desktops are lacking right now. At the high end, the megahertz myth has hurt Apple. So hopefully they'll erase that add on more too.

The other area they need to address is a low priced desktop. Not an iMac or eMac, but more like a PowerMac but in the $500/$600 price range.

DeathMan
Mac Elite
Apr 21, 2003, 09:36 PM

Originally posted by derekn:
I hope it will, the desktops are lacking right now. At the high end, the megahertz myth has hurt Apple. So hopefully they'll erase that add on more too.

The other area they need to address is a low priced desktop. Not an iMac or eMac, but more like a PowerMac but in the $500/$600 price range.

yeah, that's going to happen. they might as well merge with lindows if they're going to do that.

derekn
Senior User
Apr 21, 2003, 10:18 PM

They should, my parents are getting a PC for my sister, I said Mac, my Dads been using Macs since the Lisa but there's nothing in the price range. So it was a PC by default, minus one more potential Mac user.

Simon
Posting Junkie
Apr 22, 2003, 01:43 AM

So it was a PC by default, minus one more potential Mac user.
Yep. And in Steve's eye also minus one Mac that costs Apple more to make than they get from sale. I'd say, good policy not to offer it.

derekn
Senior User
Apr 22, 2003, 02:31 AM

Yeah sounds like the Mac clones, Apple lost like $200 on each one sold or something. They need a consumer priced somewhat pro offering machine, that's all I know.

Simon
Posting Junkie
Apr 22, 2003, 03:48 AM

Yeah sounds like the Mac clones, Apple lost like $200 on each one sold or something. They need a consumer priced somewhat pro offering machine, that's all I know.
That's what the iMac is.

derekn
Senior User
Apr 22, 2003, 02:16 PM

Except it's at least $1000.

KidRed
Professional Poster
Apr 22, 2003, 03:56 PM

Originally posted by coolmac:
The year of the laptop ONLY means that the laptop will sell well this year. Not just Apple's, Toshiba is selling more laptops then some are selling computers. This year of the laptop has nothing to do with desktops, their selling good or bad, ect.

So 2004 has nothing to do with the laptops either. That said, I think this year is the year of the desktop because if indeed the 970 comes out in July/Sept {as promised] I think Apple will see sale sspikes like they've never seen before.
All Your Signature Are Belong To Us!

DeathMan
Mac Elite
Apr 23, 2003, 04:41 PM

I still don't understand how any companies are making money selling pcs for $500. Or are they making money?

freakboy2
Dedicated MacNNer
Apr 23, 2003, 04:48 PM

2004 will be the year of the mini-desktop. Yet another whiff for apple. Everyone who buys a new machine in 2004 will buy a mini-atx form factor like the ones from shuttle.

The cube was right on the money, just 6-7 years too early. Please apple bring back the cube before it's too late!

dang bastards!

Long live the cube!

Remember the newton? The cube is going to be just like the newton!

Lol... imagine if apple had taken palm's place? They were just 5 years too early.

apple = ahead of it's own time.

fb2

::maroma::
Addicted to MacNN
Apr 23, 2003, 04:57 PM

Originally posted by freakboy2:
apple = ahead of it's own time.
apple = too ahead of it's time for it's own good.

gunnar
Mac Enthusiast
Apr 23, 2003, 07:39 PM

Laptop or desktop I don't care what it is unless it's the Year of Fanless Computing.

macmad
Mac Enthusiast
Apr 25, 2003, 04:36 AM

I still don't understand how any companies are making money selling pcs for $500. Or are they making money?
Easy, its Far Eastern crap. Sell lots, because a)they are cheap, and b)they only have a two year life. And M$ gets to sell a new copy of its OS with every one. False economy!
( Last edited by macmad; Apr 25, 2003 at 04:52 AM. )

Forum Links
Forum Rules