Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Desktops > Best case design: ALIENWARE

Best case design: ALIENWARE
pman68
Mac Enthusiast
Apr 18, 2003, 09:51 AM

I think ALIENWARE has surpassed Apple as having the most advanced and revolutionary case design. You can even customize the LED "eye" color!

Be interesting to see what case mods Apple introduces with the 970.

Eug
Clinically Insane
Apr 18, 2003, 10:53 AM

I have always thought that Alienware cases were ugly. And now... I still think the same.

Commodus
Mac Elite
Apr 18, 2003, 11:18 AM

I actually like the new Alienware cases - sort of like Apple, the design choices make sense in addition to distinguishing the system (such as with the "eyes" on the Alienware case that actually help cool the video hardware). You just have to be careful to get a tasteful colour when you buy an Alienware system. Getting that eye-searing green may get people to notice your system, but it won't necessarily say that you have refined tastes.

Keep in mind that if Looprumors' "source" is right about redesigned PowerMac casing, the Alienware case may lose its lustre.
24-inch iMac Core 2 Duo 2.4GHz

hmurchison2001
Senior User
Apr 18, 2003, 11:36 AM

Originally posted by pman68:
I think ALIENWARE has surpassed Apple as having the most advanced and revolutionary case design. You can even customize the LED "eye" color!

Be interesting to see what case mods Apple introduces with the 970.
Gag. Man you sound like a Marketing Rep. You actually used "Advanced" and "Revolutionary" in the same sentence.

The cases look cool. I'll give you that but I'll race you in seeing who can add memory that fastest

Maquero
Apr 18, 2003, 11:55 AM

I like the minimalism of the apple cases,all those flashy colors in the alienware cases make me want to puke

MindFad
Posting Junkie
Apr 18, 2003, 12:05 PM

Yikes. I like the old Alienware ones better. And I especially like the Quicksilver case better. Apple will probably wow us with a new designe come 970 time.

Axo1ot1
Professional Poster
Apr 18, 2003, 12:37 PM

Nice cases but until they have handle for easy carrying and super-quick access to the guts then I'm not particularly interested. That and te fact that they don't run OS X...

superfula
Senior User
Apr 18, 2003, 01:42 PM

Hold on a second while I go throw up. *barf*

Those cases have got to be THE ugliest cases I've ever seen.

Eug
Clinically Insane
Apr 18, 2003, 01:44 PM

Alienware cases would do well with the ricer-mobile crowd.

bradoesch
Professional Poster
Apr 18, 2003, 01:59 PM

It looks good for a PC case, but I still think the B&W G3 case looks the best.

shatten22
Mac Enthusiast
Apr 18, 2003, 03:35 PM

With the right color, the case looks awesome. If Apple came up with that same exact design, I think most of the haters would be loving it.

Looks like a hot rod.

g

D'Espice
Mac Elite
Apr 18, 2003, 03:47 PM

I'm sorry, but they're butt-ugly. If somebody would hold me at gunpoint and force me to put one of'em on my desk, I'd rather take the bullet
"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in one
pretty and well preserved piece, but to skid across the line broadside,
thoroughly used up, worn out, leaking oil, shouting GERONIMO!"

Lateralus
Moderator Emeritus
Apr 18, 2003, 04:14 PM

While I do like the overal look of the case, I cant see how anybody but a retard would say that it is more revolutionary than the MDD G4 case.

The current Alienware case is still based off of the same popular Antec case that it was based off of before, and the Antec case is still pretty much based off of the typical PC case design.

So, Alienware covered a slightly-higher-quality-than-usual-typical-PC-case with 50lbs of plastic and gave it a glossy finish... That is revolutionary?

DBvader
Mac Enthusiast
Apr 18, 2003, 04:27 PM

i think that my MDD case is really nice, and that the QS cases are even better.

the best case design is easily the imac. think about how much stuff is in there and how beatifully little it is
"Take a little dope...and walk out in the air"

CatOne
Mac Elite
Apr 18, 2003, 04:28 PM

Personally, on the PC side I have a couple favorites:

1) The Coolermaster AC 110, as employed at Falcon NW (http://www.falcon-nw.com). Custom painted, it's pretty damn cool, and a very stylish aluminum case.

2) The mini ATX form factors -- I built up a Shuttle SN41G2 with a Radeon 9700, 1 GB RAM, 120 GB HDD (8 MB Cache), Athlon 2800+, Pioneer A05 (Superdrive) for $1500.

The latter, which took me 45 minutes to assemble and is 2x faster than the fastest Mac, is why the Mac has a rep for being spendy and slow

exa
Grizzled Veteran
Apr 19, 2003, 12:03 AM

Gimme a break, all pc cases are just ATX cases, which have the same stupid layout in the case, nothing like Apple's motherboard on door design. Things liked rolled ATA cables are in existence because of ATX, while Apple did it their own way and have some ingenious routing patterns for their cases (and have had for YEARS). And the problem is, they cant change! They are locked into an inferior standard - this is an example where controlling the entire market can be advantageous.

Adding components to your computer? Hah! nothing beats the El Capitan case. Open the door, pop in whatever, close, few screws, no sliding panels, no mess of cables to weave around...

And wow, those Alienware cases are ugly, I would not want one on my office desk. Very unprofessional.

chrisutley
Grizzled Veteran
Apr 19, 2003, 01:47 AM

The Alienware box is over the top if you ask me. Just a little too fancy, gaudy really. Some people dig that, but the case has no class at all. An Apple design is usually high-tech looking, but it also looks classy - almost like modern art. The Alienware and boxes like it look like tricked out cars, whereas the Apple boxes look like Mercedes.
MacBook and iMac Core 2 Duo 24"

Dace
Mac Elite
Apr 19, 2003, 02:40 AM

Originally posted by exa:
And wow, those Alienware cases are ugly, I would not want one on my office desk. Very unprofessional.
They're not meant to be professional, Alienware was created by gamers for gamers...that is who they are trying to appeal with these new cases. That is also why they implemented video card ventilation. I also heard that they overclock their systems. As you may or may not know, PC users like to mod their PC cases...and so this is also an attempt in attracting that crowd. The first case they used is still available from them, and that is the one they offer to professionals. I like their new case design, even though it's true that it's not innovative...mostly just aesthetic.

I also agree with you in that Apple has a great industrial design team...Power Macs are great. I don't know why no one on the PC side has attempted to imitate the Power Macs ease of use. It's also true that Power Macs are uncluttered as oppose to PCs who haved to resort to rounded cables. Either Apple has patented their design, or PC case manufacturers are stupid.

Data Bytes Computers - Montreal, QC
Ventes & Services / Sales & Services

Peter
Addicted to MacNN
Apr 19, 2003, 08:22 AM

Speaking of Alienware, they have an awesome advert too -
http://www.alienware.com/sub_pages/commercial.aspx
we don't have time to stop for gas

coolmac
Apr 19, 2003, 10:06 AM

Now that's a cool commercial.
Alot cooler than Apples "Switch" comercials.

Commodus
Mac Elite
Apr 19, 2003, 10:55 AM

Apple's switch commercials aren't bad - I do think, though, that they need to show their products more (especially OS X itself). The Verne Troyer/Yao Ming ad is a lot more effective in that regard... not to mention funny.

The Alienware ad IS nicely done, either way. It exudes the atmosphere that they're trying to create for the new tower design.
24-inch iMac Core 2 Duo 2.4GHz

Mac Zealot
Professional Poster
Apr 19, 2003, 01:56 PM

I saw this case months ago, (yes, months ago), and think it's the ugliest thing I've ever seen.

Why? The ridge on the front, those funky vents, and the bottom of the case, besides if you really know your cases, that is STILL the old case!

It's a customized antec "SOHO" case, look at it, the LEDs, lock, even the side door handle are still in the exact same place.

I've never been that fond of the antec case either, it's ugly, lacks modern cooling techniques, and is as common as japanese sports cars. It almost always cries "LEMMING!" when somebody uses it!

I have to admit the MDD isn't all that great a case either, but if you like the current "Open and swap" design of the g4, you will really like how much easier it'll get to swap things in and out on the next revision.

it's just an ugly... ugly case.. and the LEDs that are customizable are just the fan LEDs, which are very easily changed

I love the site, I love how professional they are, but I think that case is ugly, and to make matters worse try looking at that thing from the side
In a realm beyond site, the sky shines gold, not blue, there the Triforce's might makes mortal dreams come true.

Mac Zealot
Professional Poster
Apr 19, 2003, 01:58 PM

oh yeah, one more thing, alienware does not sell their computers overclocked.. the only company that I know of that does that is ocsystem, which doesn't even cover it with their warranty LOL!
In a realm beyond site, the sky shines gold, not blue, there the Triforce's might makes mortal dreams come true.

CubeBoy
Apr 19, 2003, 03:49 PM

Alienware and Falcon Northwest both do custom paint jobs on their cases. I personally don't like the look of the Alienware case but both cases are top quality custom made cases for gaming. Alienware and Falcon Northwest also make some of the best built, most stable, and highest performing machines in the world. These gaming systems are in a league of their own, with everything custom built and tweaked for performance, extra features such as overclocking the CPU or graphics card and RAID configurations are also pretty common, all the systems go through a array of tests for stability and then shipped. This is one of the reasons their priced around the 3000-5000 range.

TheMosco
Mac Elite
Apr 19, 2003, 05:22 PM

The old cases are so much better looking. I am building a pc this summer and i will probably get one of the old style cases.

Mac Zealot
Professional Poster
Apr 19, 2003, 07:28 PM

cubeboy do you work for alienware or are you getting paid to write that?

Alienware machines are nowhere near my notch in quality

CubeBoy
Apr 19, 2003, 09:22 PM

Originally posted by Mac Zealot:
cubeboy do you work for alienware or are you getting paid to write that?

Alienware machines are nowhere near my notch in quality
So your saying that custom built machine tailored for game performance thats won an endless number of awards for performance and stability from a company who's sole existence rests on it's reputation is nowhere near you notch of quality? These machines even include benchmarks and stability tests done by alienware on your machine before their shipped. and yes, despite overclocking, theirs also a 1 year warranty at no cost and 2 year and 3 year warranties for a extra one hundred some dollars. C'mon, theirs a reason these systems cost alot more than other comparable systems and it's not just the looks.

CubeBoy
Apr 19, 2003, 09:29 PM

This link gives all the awards and reviews of Alienware systems, as you can see, theirs quite a few of them to say the least.

http://www.alienware.com/review_pages/reviews.aspx

Mac Zealot
Professional Poster
Apr 19, 2003, 10:51 PM

cubeboy: Alienware = Custom-built quality for the masses

silvergun
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Apr 20, 2003, 12:02 AM

Those cases look like they were designed by a drunk albanian

DeathMan
Mac Elite
Apr 20, 2003, 01:02 AM

oooh. apple's really in trouble now. These new cases are really inovative!

katorga
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Apr 20, 2003, 02:14 PM

Alienware uses off the shelf antec cases just like 90% of the PC mod market. There is nothing 'cool' about that.

Personally, I don' like Apple's desktop or LCD panel "acrylic" styles, but nothing beats Apple laptops for design. It always amazes me that PC vendors have yet to even come close to how cool Apple laptops look.

beb
Mac Elite
Apr 20, 2003, 05:40 PM

Listen folks if your a PC fan that's great, but this is a Mac forum so leave your PC evangelism at the forum topic listing page.

I for one think they look like crap, but I did like looking briefly at the review at the FHM website. I really enjoyed looking at the rest of the website.

Lateralus
Moderator Emeritus
Apr 20, 2003, 06:39 PM

Originally posted by beb:
Listen folks if your a PC fan that's great, but this is a Mac forum so leave your PC evangelism at the forum topic listing page.
Oh, so we are not allowed to discuss what is going on in the world of 'other platforms'?

beb
Mac Elite
Apr 20, 2003, 07:13 PM

Originally posted by PowerMacMan:
Oh, so we are not allowed to discuss what is going on in the world of 'other platforms'?
Yeah, lounge around with your particular religion in a place called um... a lounge.

Hi I'm Ben
Mac Elite
Apr 21, 2003, 02:24 PM

i hate alienware.
i could build the same computer and a better one for less then some trashy alienware.

Cool case, but you can always buy a nice looking case from a different manufacture.

coolmac
Apr 21, 2003, 02:40 PM

The Alienware case is different but its over the top, its not a "classy" enclosure like the Powermac.
I would quickly tire of having that case on my desktop, its too much of a fashion statement.

cgc
Professional Poster
Apr 21, 2003, 03:17 PM

The Apple cases are nice...I think the G4 Graphite Sawtooth cases were the best. Metal cases would be weird...unless they were cast iron. Hehehehe...

xylon
Mac Enthusiast
Apr 21, 2003, 05:23 PM

Originally posted by chrisutley:
The Alienware box is over the top if you ask me. Just a little too fancy, gaudy really. Some people dig that, but the case has no class at all. An Apple design is usually high-tech looking, but it also looks classy - almost like modern art. The Alienware and boxes like it look like tricked out cars, whereas the Apple boxes look like Mercedes.
This is exactly what I was thinking. While I think the Alienware cases are cool, they don't have the class that a Mac case does. But, if I got an Alienware case, I wouldn't be barfing (like a lot people are on this thread).

^Thanks to sealobo
Viva le ScrollWheel!

coolmac
Apr 21, 2003, 07:42 PM

The Screensavers just did a comparison between 3 high end PC gaming machines.

The Allienware was one of them and boy is that case ugly!

Here's a link to the comparison with photos, my vote goes for the Voodoo F case with the plexiglass front and origami folded cables inside the clear side panel:

http://www.techtv.com/screensavers/p...425579,00.html

Lateralus
Moderator Emeritus
Apr 21, 2003, 08:41 PM

I'd go with the Falcon.

Simple.
Solid.
Shiny.

drmcnutt
Dedicated MacNNer
Apr 22, 2003, 03:20 AM

Originally posted by coolmac:
The Alienware case is different but its over the top, its not a "classy" enclosure like the Powermac.
I would quickly tire of having that case on my desktop, its too much of a fashion statement.
I dunno I'm pretty tired of the Mac design. I hope they do something besides the "sawtooth" variation they have had for the last few years. The Powermac line has grown really tired, hopefully they can innovate some new case design instead of the rut they seem to be in.

Alienware at least tried something different for the masses, good or bad, that's how form and function evolve.

DRM

shatten22
Mac Enthusiast
Apr 22, 2003, 03:51 AM

I agree with DRM. At least Alienware is attempting a different look. Whether or not it's your cup of tea doesn't matter. It doesn't look like any other manufacturer's case - which should be commended. Again, I think it looks striking and (depending on the color) really cool. I definitely don't see how so many people would rather get shot than have that computer on their desk...

Apple does need to overhaul their design, not just add "speed vents" and mirror doors.

You wanna talk ugly, the new Powermac design looks overproduced. Reminds me of Peg Bundy. The Quicksilver design was much better than this current crop.

Amorph
Dedicated MacNNer
Apr 22, 2003, 01:17 PM

Originally posted by drmcnutt:

Alienware at least tried something different for the masses, good or bad, that's how form and function evolve.
Huh?

I'll give Alienware points for branding, and for at least producing something that doesn't look cheap and flimsy, but what on Earth are they contributing to form or function? The case is bog standard, so the form and the function are bog standard.

You can't evolve either form or function by sticking plastic bits on someone else's box, and Alienware isn't even trying. Except for the handles, which are functional plastic bits, it's not the exterior that makes the Mac case so sweet. It's the side door and the overall layout.
James

"I grew up. Then I got better." - Sea Wasp

Cory Bauer
Dedicated MacNNer
Apr 22, 2003, 01:45 PM

That is the first time I've seen the new Alienware cases, and I have to admit that I really, really like them. I have a feeling that if there was an Apple logo on the front of that case, MacNN forum goers would be jumping up and down clapping their hands and singing happy happy joy joy. Of course, Apple wouldn't do it up in green, they'd go silver or white, but the same still applies.

Anyhow, I hope we see a drastic move from the MDD case sometime soon. It's not exciting anymore - but that's just my opinion
-Cory Bauer
[email protected]
http://www.sboobtv.com

drmcnutt
Dedicated MacNNer
Apr 23, 2003, 02:30 AM

Originally posted by Amorph:
Huh?

I'll give Alienware points for branding, and for at least producing something that doesn't look cheap and flimsy, but what on Earth are they contributing to form or function? The case is bog standard, so the form and the function are bog standard.

You can't evolve either form or function by sticking plastic bits on someone else's box, and Alienware isn't even trying. Except for the handles, which are functional plastic bits, it's not the exterior that makes the Mac case so sweet. It's the side door and the overall layout.
Form or function? Would you say the Quicksilver design adds to function? It's great to look at but reach for the keyboard if you need to insert a disk. Apple is the one not trying, the air vents are attractive on the MDD, yeah right.

DRM

Amorph
Dedicated MacNNer
Apr 23, 2003, 02:38 PM

Originally posted by drmcnutt:
Form or function? Would you say the Quicksilver design adds to function? It's great to look at but reach for the keyboard if you need to insert a disk. Apple is the one not trying, the air vents are attractive on the MDD, yeah right.
Nice topic switch. But the Alienware case, while quite nice looking for a PC case, adds absolute zero to either form or function, because it's literally exactly the same case. The internal layout hasn't changed. Only the plastic on the outside has changed, and not in any way that materially alters the form or adds (or removes) function.

Form is not just about looks. The "speed holes" in the MDD are functional, if (subjectively) unattractive. The form allows you easy access to the motherboard and room for 5 HDDs and two optical drives. So I would argue that although the MDDs are not the prettiest PowerMacs to come down the pike, the form changed slightly from the QuickSilver to accomodate more function (more drives, hotter CPUs). The Alienware is, for all practical purposes, completely unchanged. It just looks nicer (which is certainly worth some consideration, especially for the cost of the things). But if you want to talk about material changes to form (that is, the shape and layout of the machine) and function (what capabilities it exposes to the user, and how elegantly it does so), the MDD PowerMac is more of an evolution than the Alienware case is. If Alienware had taken the opportunity to revisit the case itself, you might have a point.

I'm not sure what your point is about the CD drive, since on any sane system the keyboard is right under your hands, while you have to reach some greater distance to get to the CD tray.
James

CubeBoy
Apr 23, 2003, 03:03 PM

Nice topic switch. But the Alienware case, while quite nice looking for a PC case, adds absolute zero to either form or function, because it's literally exactly the same case. The internal layout hasn't changed. Only the plastic on the outside has changed, and not in any way that materially alters the form or adds (or removes) function.

Form is not just about looks. The "speed holes" in the MDD are functional, if (subjectively) unattractive. The form allows you easy access to the motherboard and room for 5 HDDs and two optical drives. So I would argue that although the MDDs are not the prettiest PowerMacs to come down the pike, the form changed slightly from the QuickSilver to accomodate more function (more drives, hotter CPUs). The Alienware is, for all practical purposes, completely unchanged. It just looks nicer (which is certainly worth some consideration, especially for the cost of the things). But if you want to talk about material changes to form (that is, the shape and layout of the machine) and function (what capabilities it exposes to the user, and how elegantly it does so), the MDD PowerMac is more of an evolution than the Alienware case is. If Alienware had taken the opportunity to revisit the case itself, you might have a point.

I'm not sure what your point is about the CD drive, since on any sane system the keyboard is right under your hands, while you have to reach some greater distance to get to the CD tray.
If your talking about the likes of speed holes, the alienware case is built around a "AlienIce" cooling system, a combination of positive and negative fan rotations and a low drag air intake system, it allows air to move efficiently over all system components. For functionality, it's got 4 front USB 2.0 ports, a cable management system, tool-less thumb screws, and extra screw holders. I definitely prefer the hardware layout and looks of a MDD but to say it has no functionality or form at all is ignorant and wrong. The exterior cooling system is definitely nice, too bad it makes the case look ugly.

Amorph
Dedicated MacNNer
Apr 23, 2003, 05:27 PM

Originally posted by CubeBoy:
I definitely prefer the hardware layout and looks of a MDD but to say [the Alienware] has no functionality or form at all is ignorant and wrong.
Fortunately I didn't say that. I said that the new case design introduced no new functionality. It's still the same Antec case, right? There's nothing wrong with that, but it refutes drmcnutt's claim that Alienware is improving form and function and Apple isn't.

I'm contesting the claim that Alienware is evolving their form and function while Apple isn't. So I'm looking at changes to form and function over time.
James

drmcnutt
Dedicated MacNNer
Apr 23, 2003, 08:26 PM

Nice topic switch.
I was using your phrase "form or function" and I switched topics?

[Form is not just about looks. The "speed holes" in the MDD are functional, if (subjectively) unattractive. The form allows you easy access to the motherboard and room for 5 HDDs and two optical drives. So I would argue that although the MDDs are not the prettiest PowerMacs to come down the pike, the form changed slightly from the QuickSilver to accomodate more function (more drives, hotter CPUs). The Alienware is, for all practical purposes, completely unchanged. It just looks nicer (which is certainly worth some consideration, especially for the cost of the things). But if you want to talk about material changes to form (that is, the shape and layout of the machine) and function (what capabilities it exposes to the user, and how elegantly it does so), the MDD PowerMac is more of an evolution than the Alienware case is. If Alienware had taken the opportunity to revisit the case itself, you might have a point.
Well since the Alienware case already accomodated more drives and a hotter CPU I guess it didn't need to update this aspect would they? Also I realize the four holes help cool the CPUs but this is the best solution? It looks like someone gouged out the front of a Quicksilver which runs against the elegance that case accomplished.

So it is saner to go to two places instead of one? Since inserting a CD generally involves the actually cd drive (funny that way) heading to the keyboard under my hands slows one down especially if you use a mac as a server that may not be near your keyboard. But hey it keeps it interesting. I guess my idea of function is a little more straight to the point than yours. I'll just enjoy my Gigabit G4 that much more since it still has this functionality plus the keyboard option.

Sorry for trying to defend another design from another company trying something that is different and new. I forgot where I was at. Innovate begins and ends with Apple apparently

DRM

Forum Links
Forum Rules