Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > macOS > Panther 7B80 First Sighting 9/25/03

Panther 7B80 First Sighting 9/25/03 (Page 5)
Xeo
Moderator Emeritus
Sep 30, 2003, 11:30 PM

Originally posted by besson3c:
Come on guys... who cares who downloaded it first, who has it, who doesn't have it, who should have it, who is faking it, and who is for real?

Let's just talk about the bloody build.

BigYellowMonkey
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Oct 1, 2003, 12:35 AM

I would assume that, seeing as how the average age of members on here is higher than the other couple of forums I frequent (not computer-related, I do have a life away from the screen), the behavior and attitude would be appropriately more mature. Guess not.

When you guys are bickering over who's word is "trustworthy" and all this other bullshit about who has it and who doesn't, it really makes me wonder... Don't you guys have better things to be doing, like working? Or being out with your friends? Or family even? Hell, maybe exercising? Like come on! Does it really matter if someone says that 7B124 is out and they have it and its GM for sure? If you don't believe em, don't believe em. But for **** sakes, I don't see the sense in accusing people of "lying" about which build they have. It's not a contest.
"I got the latest build off Carracho before you did!!"
"No way man! My download finished 5 minutes before yours!"
"No way man you're a liar! Show me a screenshot!"
"Ok here's a screenshot!"
"No way man that's faked!"
"No way man!"
"Yeah way man!"
"No way man!"
"Yeah way man!! You're lying! It's photoshopped!"
"Shut up man!"
"You shut up man"
"No you shut up man!"
"Oh yeah? Well my dad could beat your dad at half-life!!"
"Hey man watch what you say about my family before i bust out my l33t hax0r script kiddy appz!"

Like come on! Honestly now...

Isn't the point just that everyone who really wants Panther is gonna get it, and then everyone's happy? Whoever gets it first isn't a better person, no matter what your mom tells you.

-Biggie!

iDriveX  (op)
Mac Elite
Oct 1, 2003, 01:10 AM

LOL, doesn't matter anyways, I just got word that 7B85 was seeded internally for the client and 7B83 was seeded internally for the server. More if I get details.

Version 4.0 - Now Powered By iWeb

Gee4orce
Professional Poster
Oct 1, 2003, 03:00 AM

Originally posted by BigYellowMonkey:
I would assume that, seeing as how the average age of members on here is higher than the other couple of forums I frequent (not computer-related, I do have a life away from the screen), the behavior and attitude would be appropriately more mature. Guess not.

-Biggie!
Beeson said the same thing before you did - you must've copied his post ! Pirate ! Or did you Photoshop your post up ?!? Ha, see - you've missspelled 'friends' on the fourth line, so it's obvisouly a fake post ! Prove it - I want to see a photo of you typing that post into your Mac !

Judge_Fire
Mac Elite
Oct 1, 2003, 07:14 AM

Small check requests.

Once, a long time ago, having observed newbies attempt to change folder icons, I suggested the following to Apple:

"Turn the icon in Get Info into a well, where items can be drag&dropped to switch the icon."

This wouldn't be in any of the latest builds?

When you Connect to Server, after authenticating, you are presented with a list of shared items.

Can one finally use the keyboard to jump into a desired item, or does this remain the only f&#%ing list in the damn OS that doesn't allow this?

Yeah, it's getting personal Our servers have scores of sharepoints...

J

gorickey
Posting Junkie
Oct 1, 2003, 07:16 AM

Originally posted by iDriveX:
LOL, doesn't matter anyways, I just got word that 7B85 was seeded internally for the client and 7B83 was seeded internally for the server. More if I get details.
I told you that a couple days ago...

MasonMcD
Dedicated MacNNer
Oct 1, 2003, 07:35 AM

Originally posted by Judge_Fire:
Small check requests.

Once, a long time ago, having observed newbies attempt to change folder icons, I suggested the following to Apple:

"Turn the icon in Get Info into a well, where items can be drag&dropped to switch the icon."

This wouldn't be in any of the latest builds?

When you Connect to Server, after authenticating, you are presented with a list of shared items.

Can one finally use the keyboard to jump into a desired item, or does this remain the only f&#%ing list in the damn OS that doesn't allow this?

Yeah, it's getting personal Our servers have scores of sharepoints...

J
1. Not in 7B80
2. Dunno. I'll check this afternoon.

diamondsw
Senior User
Oct 1, 2003, 10:40 AM

Originally posted by MasonMcD:
1. Not in 7B80
2. Dunno. I'll check this afternoon.
Isn't #2 a moot point since "Connect to Server..." has been replaced by the Network icon for share browsing?

- - e r i k - -
Posting Junkie
Oct 1, 2003, 10:45 AM

Originally posted by Judge_Fire:

I can see a major problem with this: You cannot copy and paste well-items, just drop.

[ fb ] [ flickr ] [♬] [scl] [ last ] [ plaxo ]

OwlBoy
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 1, 2003, 10:52 AM

Originally posted by - - e r i k - -:
I can see a major problem with this: You cannot copy and paste well-items, just drop.
thats the point, you would just drag it.

Drag something. and if it is an image, it becomes the icon, if its not an image, then the icon of that thing becomes the icon...

Though I dunno how natural that would be...

-Owl

diamondsw
Senior User
Oct 1, 2003, 11:00 AM

Good news from Unsanity:

"Panther vs APE: Good news: I am glad to announce that we did some substantial progress on that and got Application Enhancer working on Panther (even on multiple user login environments). Bad news: I am not going to post it for a while until we test it throughfully and make sure it actually works as expected. We understand the thrill and suspense you may get without your favorite tools on Panther, but we also take this very seriously and are not going to put undertested builds for general public, because we understand the risks involved. So soon.

Haxies on Panther: they work. Some work with some quirks. I'll post a more detailed update on how they do under the new furry system tonight or tomorrow."

See it here: Unsanity.org

gorickey
Posting Junkie
Oct 1, 2003, 11:14 AM

Originally posted by diamondsw:
Good news from Unsanity:

"Panther vs APE: Good news: I am glad to announce that we did some substantial progress on that and got Application Enhancer working on Panther (even on multiple user login environments). Bad news: I am not going to post it for a while until we test it throughfully and make sure it actually works as expected. We understand the thrill and suspense you may get without your favorite tools on Panther, but we also take this very seriously and are not going to put undertested builds for general public, because we understand the risks involved. So soon.

Haxies on Panther: they work. Some work with some quirks. I'll post a more detailed update on how they do under the new furry system tonight or tomorrow."

Man oh man, I need to get ahold of that beta APE system with some beta Panther haxies on a beta Panther OS...

Adam Betts
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 1, 2003, 11:40 AM

When you guys are bickering over who's word is "trustworthy" and all this other bullshit about who has it and who doesn't, it really makes me wonder... Don't you guys have better things to be doing, like working? Or being out with your friends? Or family even? Hell, maybe exercising? Like come on! Does it really matter if someone says that 7B124 is out and they have it and its GM for sure? If you don't believe em, don't believe em. But for **** sakes, I don't see the sense in accusing people of "lying" about which build they have. It's not a contest.
"I got the latest build off Carracho before you did!!"
"No way man! My download finished 5 minutes before yours!"
"No way man you're a liar! Show me a screenshot!"
"Ok here's a screenshot!"
"No way man that's faked!"
"No way man!"
"Yeah way man!"
"No way man!"
"Yeah way man!! You're lying! It's photoshopped!"
"Shut up man!"
"You shut up man"
"No you shut up man!"
"Oh yeah? Well my dad could beat your dad at half-life!!"
"Hey man watch what you say about my family before i bust out my l33t hax0r script kiddy appz!"

Isn't the point just that everyone who really wants Panther is gonna get it, and then everyone's happy? Whoever gets it first isn't a better person, no matter what your mom tells you.

-Biggie!
Mr. 3 Posts, you sure know awfully lot about all of us. No life, perhaps?

TC
Senior User
Oct 1, 2003, 12:43 PM

Just check out 7b80.
A couple of points I noticed. Again the Network icon in the finder still has a lot of problems. If you connect in icon view and then switch to column view it asks you to authenticate again. This happens if you switch to column view at the root level of network.
If you switch to column view while you are browsing their server you're connected to it shows you the full UNIX path with folders like automount in there.

If you select the Network icon when you're not connected to a Network it shows you the same 4 folders as in Jaguar, Applications, Library, Servers and Users.

In the finder there are no contextual menus for items in the sidebar.

Some differences between open/save dialogues in carbon/cocoa apps. If you have an application in your sidebar it is dimmed in the dialogue of a cocoa app, if you click on it you go to the enclosing folder. In carbon apps clicking on it will just highlight it but does nothing. The list of recent items are different.

But it is Snappy. I think we'll get to the 100s before they release.
Nothing to see, move along.

biscuit
Mac Enthusiast
Oct 1, 2003, 12:50 PM

Originally posted by TC:
If you have an application in your sidebar it is dimmed in the dialogue of a cocoa app, if you click on it you go to the enclosing folder. In carbon apps clicking on it will just highlight it but does nothing.
Webscreamer will be pleased...

biscuit

Webscreamer
Mac Elite
Oct 1, 2003, 02:07 PM

Originally posted by biscuit:
Webscreamer will be pleased...

biscuit
Sure am! But hope it is consistant in both carbon/cocoa!
Anyone who would letterspace blackletter would steal sheep. - Frederic Goudy

dUbio
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Oct 1, 2003, 03:08 PM

Just a little nice feature i found for my trackpad (ibook) under 7b80. You can tap your trackpad instead of the button under the trackpad to click. Don't know if it was already there in previous builds but anyway it's a great feature...

Standard this feature is not on!
less = more

gorickey
Posting Junkie
Oct 1, 2003, 03:16 PM

Good news from Unsanity:

More updated information from Unsanity...

http://www.unsanity.org/archives/000257.php

SMacTech
Mac Elite
Oct 1, 2003, 03:18 PM

Originally posted by dUbio:
Just a little nice feature i found for my trackpad (ibook) under 7b80. You can tap your trackpad instead of the button under the trackpad to click. Don't know if it was already there in previous builds but anyway it's a great feature...

As someone who supports a 20 member sales team with laptops, I can tell you this feature on Dell laptops was a real pain, as it was turned on by default.
A more experienced user can turn it on themselves and newbies get confused by it. IMHO

danengel
Mac Enthusiast
Oct 1, 2003, 03:19 PM

We had this since System 7, I guess, the first time PowerBooks with a trackpad appeared

Michel Fortin
Forum Regular
Oct 1, 2003, 07:02 PM

Originally posted by danengel:
We had this since System 7, I guess, the first time PowerBooks with a trackpad appeared
My old PowerBook 5300 did not support this feature, but I think it was the last model without it. Anyway I found that is half useful half trouble and deactivated it in no time when I got my iBook.

xmacintosh
Dedicated MacNNer
Oct 1, 2003, 07:21 PM

is 7B85 GM?

MacRumors

gorickey
Posting Junkie
Oct 1, 2003, 09:18 PM

Originally posted by xmacintosh:
is 7B85 GM?

MacRumors
Hope so...

BigYellowMonkey
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Oct 1, 2003, 10:17 PM

Originally posted by Adam Betts:
Mr. 3 Posts, you sure know awfully lot about all of us. No life, perhaps?
Actually it's 4 or 5 now, thank you very much. And don't talk to me about "No life", Mr. 5000-and-some-odd Posts.

The funny thing is, I do know an awful lot about the behavior on this forum, and I've only been on here for the last 3 days or so. There's really 4 basic typed of people.
-The **** disturbers, who try to dispell everything people say as being rumours and bullshit
-The people who try to keep us up to date with info on this or that, and have their tidbits dispelled as rumours and bullshit
-The people who post occasionally when they have something to contribute
-And the people who just lurk.

You, sir, fit into #1 quite well I think.

Oh, and just to straighten something out, having spent much less time on this site, and these forums, isn't something to try to make fun of me for. I don't take offense to knowing, and being told that I have a social life outside web boards.

-Biggie!

gorickey
Posting Junkie
Oct 1, 2003, 10:20 PM

....There's really 4 basic typed of people....
Just out of curiosity, where do I fit in by chance?

BigYellowMonkey
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Oct 1, 2003, 11:14 PM

Haha, well, I haven't heard anything negative come from you as of yet, so I'd say somewhere between #2 and #3. More towards a 3. But hey, I'm no professional. I don't have nearly as much time dedicated to the internet as some of these guys.

And I haven't been on here long enough to group myself yet, but I'd say I'm between 3 and 4. Oh, and #2's and 3's are my favorite people. Keep that info coming, even if people are gonna tell you you're full of ****. Keep one thing in mind - It's the internet. Who cares if they don't like you?

-Biggie!

Adam Betts
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 1, 2003, 11:38 PM

Actually it's 4 or 5 now, thank you very much. And don't talk to me about "No life", Mr. 5000-and-some-odd Posts.

The funny thing is, I do know an awful lot about the behavior on this forum, and I've only been on here for the last 3 days or so. There's really 4 basic typed of people.
-The **** disturbers, who try to dispell everything people say as being rumours and bullshit
-The people who try to keep us up to date with info on this or that, and have their tidbits dispelled as rumours and bullshit
-The people who post occasionally when they have something to contribute
-And the people who just lurk.

You, sir, fit into #1 quite well I think.

Oh, and just to straighten something out, having spent much less time on this site, and these forums, isn't something to try to make fun of me for. I don't take offense to knowing, and being told that I have a social life outside web boards.
Cool, thanks for the unique information. It's amazing at how one can observe everything in just three short days!

I'ev always wanted to be a **** disturber

Ok, it's time for you to go back to your real life and I'll continue to live my "no life" and newly found "**** disturber" life.

BigYellowMonkey
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Oct 2, 2003, 01:06 AM

Yeah, don't you find it funny that some people are so easy to read without even getting to know them?

I don't have to spend any more time than I have here to figure out that there are a lot of **** disturbers on this forum, as there are on many others.

And again, I'll remind you... It's just the internet. Try not to cry yourself to sleep over it.

-Biggie!

Spheric Harlot
Clinically Insane
Oct 2, 2003, 03:35 AM

Wow.

You're at least five years late!

(Good for you on finding a new, useful feature though - enjoy it! I use it all the time.)

-s*

SOLIDAge
Mac Elite
Oct 2, 2003, 04:46 AM

can anyone else confirm that Internet Sharing via Airport (from ethernet) is broken in B80, it is over here on an iMac sending out Internet on Airport.

Adam Betts
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 2, 2003, 10:38 AM

Yeah, don't you find it funny that some people are so easy to read without even getting to know them?

I don't have to spend any more time than I have here to figure out that there are a lot of **** disturbers on this forum, as there are on many others.

And again, I'll remind you... It's just the internet. Try not to cry yourself to sleep over it.
Oo-ook

Let's get back on topic please. Your rambling is really pointless to begin with.

Ti X
Forum Regular
Oct 2, 2003, 03:55 PM

Anyone else have 7B80 running on a 17 or 15 Ai PowerBook? The screen res looks horrible compared with Jaguar in my opinion. Noticeably worse. I checked my display preferences daily just to make sure that I am not seeing things. Maybe this is how longer battery life is being achieved, by using a lower resolution even though sys prefs says millions.

Anyone?
15" AI PowerBook
17" PowerBook 1GB RAM
15" PowerBook 512MB RAM
700Mhz iBook

diamondsw
Senior User
Oct 2, 2003, 04:32 PM

Originally posted by Ti X:
Anyone else have 7B80 running on a 17 or 15 Ai PowerBook? The screen res looks horrible compared with Jaguar in my opinion. Noticeably worse. I checked my display preferences daily just to make sure that I am not seeing things. Maybe this is how longer battery life is being achieved, by using a lower resolution even though sys prefs says millions.

Anyone?
Um, that wouldn't affect your battery life. Setting your resolution once would do it - why are you checking it daily?

Ti X
Forum Regular
Oct 2, 2003, 04:42 PM

Um, that wouldn't affect your battery life. Setting your resolution once would do it - why are you checking it daily?
Daily, because I just can't believe it, and I have had some other issues as this is still a beta. I did do erase and install on both machines. I wouldn't have believed it if it was just one machine, but two....and the 15" only being a week old.
15" AI PowerBook
17" PowerBook 1GB RAM
15" PowerBook 512MB RAM
700Mhz iBook

SOLIDAge
Mac Elite
Oct 2, 2003, 05:07 PM

BACK ON TOPIC

does internet sharing work for anyone else in B80?

(see my post above)

gorickey
Posting Junkie
Oct 2, 2003, 05:28 PM

Originally posted by SOLIDAge:
BACK ON TOPIC

does internet sharing work for anyone else in B80?

(see my post above)
I had this broken under other builds; however, ever since B74...it's been rock solid! I have my TiBook dishing out Shared Internet via Airport through my Ethernet cable line to an iBook...

Busemann
Mac Elite
Oct 2, 2003, 06:23 PM

Do anyone else get asked for a password when switching to a user without password in fast user switching? Only happens the first time however.

Also, the horizontal scrollbar in Mail seems cut off...

Other than that, a nearly perfect build

BigYellowMonkey
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Oct 3, 2003, 02:01 AM

I've had a few apps crash on me. The only time this happens is when the computer is mildly bogged down (ie. unstuffing a sitx archive, somethin like that), and I close a window in the app, the whole thing quits, and the bug report window shows up. Nothing serious. And the computer hasn't crashed once. Not that it did in Jag.

I think i'm the only X user i know who hasn't ever experienced a KP.

-Biggie!

geekwagon
Senior User
Oct 3, 2003, 02:14 AM

Works fine for me, 17" Rev. A. Maybe a driver issue on the new Mobility 9600 cards?

BTW, has anyone else noticed that Panther does have piles? Or at least one pile. The pile of crap in the bottom right corner of my desktop as things get downloaded. As new icons are created on the desktop they won't leave that rightmost row and start another one. I can't believe that they would ship this thing with that obvious of a bug..

I'm also seeing much better actual batterylife on my 17" PB. I went from getting 2.5 hours for my typical usage with both radios on to 3.5-3.75 hours. And yes that is actual not indicated life. I'm definately happy about that.

Forum Links
Forum Rules