Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > macOS > Mac OS X 10.3 (Codenamed: Panther) Build 7B85

Mac OS X 10.3 (Codenamed: Panther) Build 7B85 (Page 4)
pliny
Mac Elite
Oct 5, 2003, 10:00 AM

There was a bug with Word in earlier builds, where after opening the comments pane you could no longer type anything in the document until closing and reopening it; has this been fixed in the most recent/"GM" build?

edit: oh yeah, one more question, do printer style preselects now stick (e.g., ink heaviness, b/w or color, etc.)?
i look in your general direction

piracy
Mac Elite
Oct 5, 2003, 10:02 AM

FYI, not all problems are Apple's responsibility. Some will have to be fixed by the vendor.
( Last edited by piracy; Oct 5, 2003 at 10:21 AM. )

addiecool
Dedicated MacNNer
Oct 5, 2003, 10:05 AM

Originally posted by pliny:
There was a bug with Word in earlier builds, where after opening the comments pane you could no longer type anything in the document until closing and reopening it; has this been fixed in the most recent/"GM" build?

edit: oh yeah, one more question, do printer style preselects now stick (e.g., ink heaviness, b/w or color, etc.)?
Yes ans yes
iMac Intel Core Duo 2.0 Ghz 20", 1.5 GB RAM, 250GB
iMac G5 2.0 Ghz 17", 512 MB RAM, 160GB
iPod Video 5G 60GB White
Mighty Mouse sucks - "Bought the Logitech 518 Gaming mouse"
USB 2.0 Hard Drive Sucked - "Bought a Firewire Hard Disk"

Moose
Senior User
Oct 5, 2003, 10:20 AM

Originally posted by nobodybutme:
From his past posts, he seems to be a QA lackey of some sort (alpha or beta tester?). Note, I didn't say QA Engineer nor anyone with any level of significant impact to development and testing. I don't mean this in a rude way. It's just the way he comes across and what he talks about. Limited understanding, great passion, limited information. Makes sense.
When it comes to playing the game of disseminating information about pre-release versions of Mac OS X, most people with any sort of intelligence at all avoid playing all their cards--but they play the cards they do play expertly and definitively.

Busemann
Mac Elite
Oct 5, 2003, 10:22 AM

The major bugs in recent builds seems to be gone but there are still a few minor:

- Help Viewer seems to crash when clicking the "ask a question" button in the customize toolbar sheet. (not always reproducible it seems)

- Deleting one duplicate font in Font Book causes the other duplicates to suddenly become unmarked

- The horizontal scrollbar in Mail is halfway cut

- iChat bubbles sometimes "loose" the text, but this is fixed by a resize & is unreproducible:-/

- Finder got issues when resizing the columns while watching a preview.

Probably more, but I expect all of these to be fixed in 10.3.1

btw. I'm on a clean install.

cSurfr
Grizzled Veteran
Oct 5, 2003, 10:30 AM

Originally posted by Busemann:
The major bugs in recent builds seems to be gone but there are still a few minor:

- Help Viewer seems to crash when clicking the "ask a question" button in the customize toolbar sheet. (not always reproducible it seems)

- Deleting one duplicate font in Font Book causes the other duplicates to suddenly become unmarked

- The horizontal scrollbar in Mail is halfway cut

- iChat bubbles sometimes "loose" the text, but this is fixed by a resize & is unreproducible:-/

- Finder got issues when resizing the columns while watching a preview.

Probably more, but I expect all of these to be fixed in 10.3.1

btw. I'm on a clean install.

I must have the happiest mac ever. I don't have any problems in 85. Even the bugs that other people say they have, I cannot duplicate or find.

cs
-How pumped would you be driving home from work, knowing someplace in your house there's a monkey you're gonna battle?

RevEvs
Mac Elite
Oct 5, 2003, 10:50 AM

I just did a clean install to see if that fixed any bugs. But it didnt. Heres my minute bug list:

Background windows have messed up drop shadows. there is a very faint line under the drop shadow. This only occurs on my G5 and not my G4 - maybe a QExtreme or Radeon problem?

The selection border is overlapped by some pics - eg a screenshot of a widescreen desktop.

All minor bugs - nothing to stop it being GM.

revs
I free'd my mind... now it won't come back.

Busemann
Mac Elite
Oct 5, 2003, 10:58 AM

Also sometimes after switching back to my user, any mouse-click causes expos� to kick in.. I have of course only set button 4 and 5 to do this but now any click invokes it! Pushing F10 once gets everything back to normal though.

Also, what's really the point with the text shadows and other effects in the font panel? They don't really work in any app except Textedit. Even here the formatting gets destroyed when opening the .rtf file in any other app that dont support the fontpanel (word, indesign). Doesnt seem to be functional in iChat either
( Last edited by Busemann; Oct 5, 2003 at 01:04 PM. )

v0id7
Mac Elite
Oct 5, 2003, 11:18 AM

eject and volume keys still dont work
_______void_______

dUbio
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Oct 5, 2003, 11:33 AM

You mean they don't work at your system, over here everything is working fine including the keys you mention!!
less = more

Fonzie
Grizzled Veteran
Oct 5, 2003, 11:48 AM

I think it's akward to say that 7B85 is the Golden Master - where on earth does people have this information from ? I'd like to see proof from everyone who says it's GM. I'm not putting anyone down by this post, please understand that. I'm just curious.

piracy
Mac Elite
Oct 5, 2003, 12:02 PM

Originally posted by Fonzie:
I think it's akward to say that 7B85 is the Golden Master - where on earth does people have this information from ? I'd like to see proof from everyone who says it's GM. I'm not putting anyone down by this post, please understand that. I'm just curious.
It's not awkward at all: 7B85 is indeed the GM build of Mac OS X 10.3.

The only "proof" you will see is when 7B85 is what's in the box when you open it (and some people don't even believe that).

There is no way for anyone on this forum to "prove" anything one way or another.

But, consider these facts:

1. Some here have accurately indicated what the GM build was for Mac OS X 10.0 (4K78), 10.1 (5G64), and 10.2 (6C115), even in the face of ridiculous arguments insisting otherwise (some will remember: two 4K78's 4K83, 5G68, 6C115b, etc.)

2. People claiming that a build "can't be" GM because of such-and-such bug or something in a seed note are basing their assumptions on erroneous information and flawed logic. These have all come up before:

"6C115 *can't* be GM, because the seed note says it's prerelease!@!@" (This standard disclaimer is associated with every single build that is seeded, up to and including final candidates that may or may not become GM, including the GM releases themselves; no one has ever been able to grasp this. In this case, 7B85 has not been seeded in this fashion, however people continue to misunderstand both the letter and the intent of the seed notes.)

"5G64 *can't* be GM, because I have found <insert exaggerated bug claim here>" (Every release will have bugs. It's all about priorities and a myriad of other concerns. Finding a "bug" doesn't mean something isn't GM, as we've seen for the past 3 major OS X releases.)

Additionally, some of the folks claiming that 7B85 isn't the GM are the same people who incorrectly claimed the same about previous releases of Mac OS X. So, some searching of the archives as to accuracy might serve you well.
( Last edited by piracy; Oct 5, 2003 at 12:07 PM. )

GnOm
Mac Enthusiast
Oct 5, 2003, 12:10 PM

Originally posted by piracy:
There are no showstoppers that would cause GM to be pulled at this time. And uh, there are LOTS of open bugs on Panther.

of course there are lots of them, but not beeing able to forcequit and restart the Finder under certain conditions (==hard reset if you want to continue any work) is IMHO a clear showstopper.
On the other hand, the TempoATA100 bug in 10.2 was not considered a showstopper either...

cheers.

piracy
Mac Elite
Oct 5, 2003, 12:13 PM

Originally posted by GnOm:
of course there are lots of them, but not beeing able to forcequit and restart the Finder under certain conditions (==hard reset if you want to continue any work) is IMHO a clear showstopper.
If you think you have found a clear and consistently reproducible showstopper, you should report the bug via the appropriate channel:

ADC: http://bugreporter.apple.com/

Apple Customer Seeding: http://appleseed.apple.com/

(If I had a dime for every time someone said they had a MAJOR bug that was CLEARLY a showstopper...)

Of course, this hasn't been the first time you've made this assertion...
( Last edited by piracy; Oct 5, 2003 at 12:20 PM. )

Webscreamer
Mac Elite
Oct 5, 2003, 12:25 PM

Maybe your downloads got corrupted...
Anyone who would letterspace blackletter would steal sheep. - Frederic Goudy

RevEvs
Mac Elite
Oct 5, 2003, 12:30 PM

Anyone else had problems with Internet Sharing and 7B85?

revs
I free'd my mind... now it won't come back.

GnOm
Mac Enthusiast
Oct 5, 2003, 01:29 PM

ADC: http://bugreporter.apple.com/
that's of course where I go before I post to a forum.

this hasn't been the first time you've made this assertion...

That was indeed another (one of the many, I submitted over a dozen, most of them still unresolved after more than a year) major annoyance in Jaguar, getting a scrambled image of your desktop after waking from sleep makes the machine unusable (==hard reset) so yes, I still conider that one a showstopper.
Not my fault Apple does not.

cheers.

Hash
Mac Elite
Oct 5, 2003, 01:37 PM

It's not awkward at all: 7B85 is indeed the GM build of Mac OS X 10.3.

The only "proof" you will see is when 7B85 is what's in the box when you open it (and some people don't even believe that).

There is no way for anyone on this forum to "prove" anything one way or another.

But, consider these facts:

1. Some here have accurately indicated what the GM build was for Mac OS X 10.0 (4K78), 10.1 (5G64), and 10.2 (6C115), even in the face of ridiculous arguments insisting otherwise (some will remember: two 4K78's 4K83, 5G68, 6C115b, etc.)

2. People claiming that a build "can't be" GM because of such-and-such bug or something in a seed note are basing their assumptions on erroneous information and flawed logic. These have all come up before:

"6C115 *can't* be GM, because the seed note says it's prerelease!@!@" (This standard disclaimer is associated with every single build that is seeded, up to and including final candidates that may or may not become GM, including the GM releases themselves; no one has ever been able to grasp this. In this case, 7B85 has not been seeded in this fashion, however people continue to misunderstand both the letter and the intent of the seed notes.)

"5G64 *can't* be GM, because I have found <insert exaggerated bug claim here>" (Every release will have bugs. It's all about priorities and a myriad of other concerns. Finding a "bug" doesn't mean something isn't GM, as we've seen for the past 3 major OS X releases.)

Additionally, some of the folks claiming that 7B85 isn't the GM are the same people who incorrectly claimed the same about previous releases of Mac OS X. So, some searching of the archives as to accuracy might serve you well.

I have a problem with this logic. There isnt a single argument why indeed 7B85 is a GM; all i can read just tells that it those who say otherwise do not have arguments validating their opinion.

But, similarly, all who say that 7B85 is GM, piracy included, have not presented any single valid point to prove it is GM. All what they say boils down to a very primitive point "why not (why 85 cannot be GM)?"

I wanna hear ANY proof that 85 is GM, plain and simple.

eevyl
Grizzled Veteran
Oct 5, 2003, 01:46 PM

Originally posted by Hash:
Free your mind

Zimphire
Baninated
Oct 5, 2003, 01:48 PM

Originally posted by v0id7:
Work on my computer.

Hash
Mac Elite
Oct 5, 2003, 01:49 PM

Originally posted by eevyl:
Free your mind
Oh, is this proof? Very elegant

noxon
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Oct 5, 2003, 01:59 PM

Solution to eject key problem? Easy; get rid of USB Overdrive.
--
Kim-A

Telusman
Dedicated MacNNer
Oct 5, 2003, 02:13 PM

Well far be it for me to be pessemistic, but I haven't seen any proof either that 7B85 is GM, after all, Apple did release a press statement after Jag was declared GM, and nothing of the sort has happened this time. Also, all we are going on is the Rumor sites. Don't get me wrong, im not saying its *NOT* the golden master, but we've seen very little official evidence to prove that it is.

7B80 seems very polished on my machine, and everything works as expected and i've not seen any blaring bugs yet and all system files are "final" numbered, even the Kernel.

7B80 is GM... we all know it... ;o)

A rumor site does not fact make. I wont be taking anyones word on GM until Apple releases a press report on their page. I chose not to believe this time, which is unusual, usually im a raving follower on such issues.

"No ma'am i'm not angry at you, I'm angry at the cruel twist of fate that directed your call to my extension..."

daydreamer
Mac Enthusiast
Oct 5, 2003, 02:29 PM

Originally posted by v0id7:
You are probably using USB Overdrive wich causes those buttons not to work in Panther, uninstall it with the supplied uninstaller...

Yes we need an USB Overdrive update.

nobodybutme
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Oct 5, 2003, 03:45 PM

Originally posted by Moose:
When it comes to playing the game of disseminating information about pre-release versions of Mac OS X, most people with any sort of intelligence at all avoid playing all their cards--but they play the cards they do play expertly and definitively.
Then he is a master of the craft. I just get the impression that there is a partial familiarity with a company (Apple), but not the industry (software development). Some of the past "software companies don't do that..." types of comments are indicative of this. Those types of comments are most often ludicrous in premise. There is as much variety in processes as there are in companies. Maybe he's only been exposed to one company. Who knows. You could be right though.

piracy
Mac Elite
Oct 5, 2003, 04:25 PM

Originally posted by Hash:
I have a problem with this logic. There isnt a single argument why indeed 7B85 is a GM; all i can read just tells that it those who say otherwise do not have arguments validating their opinion.

But, similarly, all who say that 7B85 is GM, piracy included, have not presented any single valid point to prove it is GM. All what they say boils down to a very primitive point "why not (why 85 cannot be GM)?"

7B85 is GM because work is complete on the intial release of Mac OS X 10.3. Build 7B85 has been declared golden master. That is a fact. (Not being able to prove something does not change the fact, e.g., the earth being round.) There is no way that anyone here can prove that to you, because anyone representing themselves, with proof, as an official, verifiable representative of Apple would be instantly fired upon revealing that information. In short, what you are asking is impossible. All I can say is that I categorically told this forum that 4K78 was the GM release of 10.0, that 5G64 was the GM release of 10.1, that 6C115 was the GM release of 10.2, and now, that 7B85 is the GM release of 10.3. Take it or leave it.

Anand
Mac Enthusiast
Oct 5, 2003, 04:27 PM

Originally posted by addiecool:
I connect to SMB Share from the Netwrok Tab in the Sidebar, then i just make an alias on the desktop. Works always and mounts straight from the desktop even after restart
Yes, but that is so windows like. Yuck.
Yes, I know I could buy a PC, but why?

cowerd
Senior User
Oct 5, 2003, 05:29 PM

Adding a new sense of desperation to the phrase "get a life". Note the post that claims that 7B85 is claimed as GM. Come back in a few days to gloat if Apple claims otherwise. Is it that hard?
yo frat boy. where's my tax cut.

drnkn_stylz
Senior User
Oct 5, 2003, 06:59 PM

Where the fridge did you guys get a hold of the Pather betas? Furthermore, where did you guys get the GM? I would forever be in someone's debt if they could send it to me!

arekkusu
Mac Enthusiast
Oct 5, 2003, 07:00 PM

I'm not one to doubt piracy (despite 6C115a CD readme changes), however, if 7B85 is GM then I have to say it is pretty sloppy.

For example, how accurate is the installer readme about which 'additional software' is not installed by default?

For example, what does the "Install Mac OS X" icon look like?

No, these aren't showstoppers. Just sloppy.

d0ubled0wn
Grizzled Veteran
Oct 5, 2003, 07:24 PM

Originally posted by drnkn_stylz:
Where the fridge did you guys get a hold of the Pather betas? Furthermore, where did you guys get the GM? I would forever be in someone's debt if they could send it to me!
Alright, who let this guy in??

diamondsw
Senior User
Oct 5, 2003, 10:13 PM

*smack*

i am yujin
Forum Regular
Oct 5, 2003, 10:23 PM

We are all developers, you fool.

Apparently, you are not.

Spliff
Mac Elite
Oct 5, 2003, 10:33 PM

How do I import my PGP public key into Mail so I can encrypt my email messages? Mail's Help was not at all helpful.

austinjackson
Oct 5, 2003, 10:36 PM

So when File Vault is turned on you cannot serve pages from your Sites folder anymore?
Austin Jackson
EducatorsHandbook.com - because great decisions are based on great data.

Xeo
Moderator Emeritus
Oct 5, 2003, 10:54 PM

piracy hasn't been wrong yet. He has no reason to start making stuff up now. I'm sure he likes his reputation the way it is. And we like him having that reputation.

wreks
Forum Regular
Oct 5, 2003, 11:24 PM

The most notice4ble bug I've seen so f4r on my m4chine with 7b85 is th4t the stupid "a" key doesn't work on my keyboard, when I hit it nothing h4ppens, so I c4n either copy and paste my "a's" or substitue 4nohter key while typing.. 4nyone else get this? I know I re4d 4bout it somewhere.. thinking it w4s perh4ps on 4t4ts but I c4n't find the 4rticle. I h4ven't tried 4ny e4rly builds.. so this kind4 sucks.

edit: after some troubleshooting I tracked it down the copy of synergy I was running.. after I quit it and updated to the latest version I can now type the letter "a" again. man that was weird.
( Last edited by wreks; Oct 5, 2003 at 11:36 PM. )

tikki
Mac Elite
Oct 5, 2003, 11:28 PM

Originally posted by wreks:
The most notice4ble bug I've seen so f4r on my m4chine with 7b85 is th4t the stupid "a" key doesn't work on my keyboard, when I hit it nothing h4ppens, so I c4n either copy and paste my "a's" or substitue 4nohter key while typing.. 4nyone else get this? I know I re4d 4bout it somewhere.. thinking it w4s perh4ps on 4t4ts but I c4n't find the 4rticle. I h4ven't tried 4ny e4rly builds.. so this kind4 sucks.
My friend had this happen to him, and he traced it back to Synergy. You wouldn't happen to be using that would you?

work: maczealots blog: carpeaqua

Zimphire
Baninated
Oct 5, 2003, 11:37 PM

My LiteOn LTR-16101B burner doesn't want to read all CDs now for some reason. This is a post 85 bug.

Weird.

wreks
Forum Regular
Oct 5, 2003, 11:38 PM

Originally posted by tikki:
My friend had this happen to him, and he traced it back to Synergy. You wouldn't happen to be using that would you?
woah you're fast... I just traced the bug myself... but thanks.

Vader�s Pinch of Death
Grizzled Veteran
Oct 5, 2003, 11:55 PM

Originally posted by Zimphire:
My LiteOn LTR-16101B burner doesn't want to read all CDs now for some reason. This is a post 85 bug.

Weird.
Perhaps you are being punished for stealing?

"If it's broke, you choke."

gorickey
Posting Junkie
Oct 6, 2003, 12:01 AM

Originally posted by Zimphire:

Weird.
Which version is that again? My LiteOn 52x32x52 burner works flawlessly...

kman42
Professional Poster
Oct 6, 2003, 12:08 AM

Originally posted by Spliff:
How do I import my PGP public key into Mail so I can encrypt my email messages? Mail's Help was not at all helpful.
I'd like to know this as well. And how do you create a key to begin with. Do you have to install gpg?

kman

SoGood
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Oct 6, 2003, 12:21 AM

Firstly, PGP will certainly help you your keys.

As for whether 7b85 is GM. I note that it does not have any new desktop graphics that's common with new OS releases and the old Jaguar spotted desktop is still there. At the same time there's no new Panther desktop. Well, it's just a speculation...
-- Good

tikki
Mac Elite
Oct 6, 2003, 12:26 AM

Originally posted by SoGood:

As for whether 7b85 is GM. I note that it does not have any new desktop graphics that's common with new OS releases and the old Jaguar spotted desktop is still there. At the same time there's no new Panther desktop. Well, it's just a speculation...
There is too a new background. It's awesome and being used on my desktop t the moment.

work: maczealots blog: carpeaqua

kman42
Professional Poster
Oct 6, 2003, 12:41 AM

Originally posted by SoGood:

So GPG will let you create keys. How do you get them into Mail?

kman

Spliff
Mac Elite
Oct 6, 2003, 03:06 AM

Okay, Apple screwed up in the Finder preferences. They got really sloppy. It's embarassing, actually.

Under "General" in the Finder prefs, you can select what items appear on the Desktop. If I check "Hard Disks," my internal HD partitions appear, but the partitions on my external Firewire HD don't appear. I can only make my external Firewire hard drive appear if I check "CDs, DVDs and iPods."

Now there is also an "Sidebar" section in the Finder prefs. If I check the box for "Hard disks," my Firewire HD partitions appear in the Sidebar. CDs are listed as "Removable media."

So, Apple is contradicting itself in the Finder prefs. I'm surprised this slipped by them.

Finally, why does my Firewire HD have an eject symbol next to it in the Sidebar?

mrchin
Grizzled Veteran
Oct 6, 2003, 03:43 AM

I'd say that a Firewire HD is removable media, hence it being listed under CDs, etc... Maybe it needs to be added in that tab. As an iPod is a Firewire HD and is removable as well, I would assume that other FWHDs fall under this category.
Dual 2.0 G5/2.5GB/ATI 9800 Pro | MacBook Pro 2.16 Gore Duo/2GB/ATI X1600

bracken
Dedicated MacNNer
Oct 6, 2003, 05:34 AM

Originally posted by Spliff:
Under "General" in the Finder prefs, you can select what items appear on the Desktop. If I check "Hard Disks," my internal HD partitions appear, but the partitions on my external Firewire HD don't appear. I can only make my external Firewire hard drive appear if I check "CDs, DVDs and iPods."

Now there is also an "Sidebar" section in the Finder prefs. If I check the box for "Hard disks," my Firewire HD partitions appear in the Sidebar. CDs are listed as "Removable media."
This was one of the first things I noticed. They need to fix this, it's silly.

Robo-X
Forum Regular
Oct 6, 2003, 07:15 AM

7B85 gives a garbled screen on a Lombard when using both RAM slots. It has exactly the same problem as the pulled 10.2.8 update had. IMO the 7B85 is not GM and there is still no word from Apple that 10.3 has gone gold.

//Rob

Forum Links
Forum Rules