Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Desktops > Is Headless Cube Operation Possible?

Is Headless Cube Operation Possible?
macndave
Forum Regular
Nov 20, 2003, 08:13 PM

I am thinking of purchasing a second hand Cube to use as an mp3 stereo for my den. I've a PowerMac (acting as a server in basement) which using iTunes 4, can stream music to the Cube and my PowerBook.

I really love the sound of SoundSticks; I know that are better alternatives, but I have a set that I can use. But, can the Cube be used without a monitor. I like its compact size, as it would fit well in my bookcase. I don't want to use a monitor though.

(In the distant futute, I would like to purchase a television with a DVI input and could use the Cube as a media center: EyeTV and DVD player).

1.5Ghz AlBook G4 + 20" Cinema Display
Cable Modem via Airport Express
iSight Enabled @ dmwilsonh

SciFrog
Dedicated MacNNer
Nov 20, 2003, 10:17 PM

Mine could, even without a keyboard...

gbarill
Nov 21, 2003, 04:32 PM

yes, unlike PCs, macs will work without a monitor, keyboard, mouse... (although their function is severly limited without them...).

try starting up a PC without a mouse or keyboard plugged in... it won't even start up.
just a question though, how are you planning on controlling what's playing? remote desktop?

ChrisB
Dedicated MacNNer
Nov 21, 2003, 04:57 PM

Remote Desktop will work, you just need to make sure that you have configured the Cube as it needs to be with the software and network settings that it needs before making it "headless."

You can also use a GREAT freeware program called VNC - works on all platforms - it is a remote desktop tool. All you need is the machine to have an IP address - there is a server module/control panel/app that has to run in the background, and then you use the client app, type in an IP, and bam you take over the Mac and it's screen.
Chris Brown
Media, Brand, and IPTV Consultant

zigzag
Addicted to MacNN
Nov 21, 2003, 08:18 PM

I've wondered about this as well - I have a Cube sitting around doing nothing but don't want to sell it.

How would one deal with power issues? Would you have to leave the Cube booted up all the time, or could you control power/sleep from the remote?

I assume the Cube would be hooked up to the stereo via a PowerMate or the like.

macndave  (op)
Forum Regular
Nov 22, 2003, 12:41 AM

Originally posted by zigzag:
How would one deal with power issues? Would you have to leave the Cube booted up all the time, or could you control power/sleep from the remote?

I assume the Cube would be hooked up to the stereo via a PowerMate or the like.
I'd planned to use VNC (Chicken of VNC) to control the Cube from my PowerBook. I currently use it to control the Power Mac. It actually works very well. I leave my Power Mac and PowerBook running all the time. I use sleep or turn off the Monitor to save wear and tear on the displays.

Thanks for the advice...I'm off to eBay to continue checking prices on uses Cubes.

1.5Ghz AlBook G4 + 20" Cinema Display
Cable Modem via Airport Express
iSight Enabled @ dmwilsonh

WizOSX
Mac Elite
Nov 24, 2003, 10:22 AM

originally posted by gbarill

try starting up a PC without a mouse or keyboard plugged in... it won't even start up.
This was true for older version of Windows but under XP they boot without mouse or keyboard plugged in. You can plug them in after bootup if you want, just like on a Mac. It just took Microsoft a lot longer to get there than Apple.

Forum Links
Forum Rules