Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > macOS > making screen savers

making screen savers
torifile
Mac Elite
Sep 23, 2001, 02:27 AM

I just installed 5g64 so I happened to have my matrix dvd in the drive. I noticed that there is file called code.swf and it's a flash movie of the scrolling green text! anyway, I was wondering if anyone knew how i could make this .swf file into one that the screen saver can display. It's just playing in the finder window just begging to be played full screen Was this there before? I never noticed it...btw, dvd playback is superb even in the background while typing (ibook 2).

comgil
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Sep 23, 2001, 02:43 AM

well I checked it and we have the CODE.SWF file that could be cool as a screen saver.

Here is the solution (I think) : thiese swf files are compatible with Quicktime, so you have to install the screensaver "SaveHollywood" in you Screen Savers' library (in Library of you own count or the master one), copy the CODE.SWF file in one of your folders, and select it in the Screen Savers Pane (configure).

Hope it will help. I'll do the same now, I'll tell if it worth the cost.

gorgonzola
Admin Emeritus
Sep 23, 2001, 02:50 AM

Or you could just download an existing Matrix screensaver.

It's a lot less trouble, trust me... ;-)

Put it in ~/Library/Screen Savers
"Do not be too positive about things. You may be in error." (C. F. Lawlor, The Mixicologist)

Xeo
Moderator Emeritus
Sep 23, 2001, 03:11 AM

Gorgy, that existing screensaver SUCKS for quality. Even though the images in it are tiffs, they still look horribly JPGed. My roommate tried making his own, but never really got around to finishing it.

OK, about that swf file on the Matrix DVD. Since I don't even have a DVD player, it would be REALLY cool if one of you that owns it could put that on the net for download, or tell me where to get it. That'd be pretty sweet.

How did the "Make a SWF into a Screensaver" go for you guys?

Put that swf on the web!

Lolo from Paris
Dedicated MacNNer
Sep 23, 2001, 07:05 AM

How did the "Make a SWF into a Screensaver" go for you guys?

You need a software from Screen Time, but it's pretty expensive. Then you will be able to transform a .fla or .swf in a screen saver for OS 9 actually, maybe for OS X later ?

For more infos :
http://www.screentime.com/ScreenTime/screentime.html

SYN
Senior User
Sep 23, 2001, 09:18 AM

Gorgy, that existing screensaver SUCKS for quality
glad you think so. According to the author, it's actually done on purpose (you can check by having alook at the source code) to give an"old green crt" look. anyways, I've got the source code to a windows screen saver that uses TrueType fonts to display the characters, ie antialiased etc. I've seen it run on BeOS and it truly is beautiful. Imagine a CoreGraphics rendered Matrix screen saver... drool.

If anyone's interested in porting it to OSX, I'll gladly post the code.
Soyons R�alistes, Demandons l'impossible

Forum Links
Forum Rules