Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Desktops > Need help on Upgrading a G4 AGP to Gigabit ethernet

Need help on Upgrading a G4 AGP to Gigabit ethernet
rvirmani
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Dec 29, 2003, 11:18 AM

Hi, I own a G4 AGP (Sawthooth). I tried replacing the Logicboard and power supply (22pin) of the gigabit ethernet model.

Nothing worked. I wanted to know if the power module (PMU) was different on the two models as that is the only key part I did not replace.

JB72
Mac Elite
Dec 29, 2003, 12:01 PM

Originally posted by rvirmani:
Hi, I own a G4 AGP (Sawthooth). I tried replacing the Logicboard and power supply (22pin) of the gigabit ethernet model.

Nothing worked. I wanted to know if the power module (PMU) was different on the two models as that is the only key part I did not replace.

Your best bet might be to start searching XLR8YourMac.

rvirmani  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Dec 30, 2003, 12:31 PM

I did extensive searches and reading on XLR8yourmac to no avail.

They don't have any information on installing a Gigabit Logicboard into a G4 AGP Chassis.

sebastian haff
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Dec 30, 2003, 07:40 PM

Sawtooth and Giga E cases are identical,

Giga E motherioard differances....

22 pin power connector (adds 28VDC for ADC )

AGP slot has ADC power connection (28VDC as above)

Gigabit E transceiver on board

Deleted #3 FW400 port

Faster processors and Dual CPU support

Otherwise Motherboards are virtually identical.

Not sure what you mean by PMU. The power supply plugs directly to the motherboard. power supplies differ only in wattage ( mainly due to ADC power) and availablity of 28VDC for ADC on the two additional power pins.

Little discussed fact:

both Sawtooth and Giga E have pads for a 20pin floppy connector ala iMac. and Giga E retains pads for third FW400 connector/FUSE/RFchoke though the the transceiver may not support the third port.
( Last edited by sebastian haff; Dec 30, 2003 at 07:51 PM. )

tr
Mac Elite
Dec 30, 2003, 08:56 PM

Originally posted by sebastian haff:

Not sure what you mean by PMU. The power supply plugs directly to the motherboard. power supplies differ only in wattage ( mainly due to ADC power) and availablity of 28VDC for ADC on the two additional power pins.
and because of that, a gigE won't work in a sawtooth without a gigE power supply. get a gigE power supply, and you're good to go.

tr

WizOSX
Mac Elite
Jan 3, 2004, 12:33 PM

tr--tell us when you get it working and what it took.

rvirmani  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jan 7, 2004, 02:29 PM

The PMU is the board behind the Power switch. It plugs into a connector on the board. It turns out that the PMU is different between the G4 AGP and Gig Ethernet models.

The PMU is not the power supply. I have a 22 pin Gigabit Ethernet Power Supply, so that is not the culprit.

I have ordered a Gigabit Ethernet PMU and will let you all know how things work out.

Forum Links
Forum Rules