Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > macOS > What are spring loaded folders?

What are spring loaded folders?
shockme17
May 13, 2004, 10:45 AM

I'm confused as to what this is actually, and what is the setting for the delay?

thanks

RevEvs
Mac Elite
May 13, 2004, 11:20 AM

drag a file and hold it over a folder for a couple fo seconds... then you will see what it is..

revs
I free'd my mind... now it won't come back.

Developer
Addicted to MacNN
May 13, 2004, 12:06 PM

Originally you could also one-and-a-half-click folders, but that functionality got lost somehow.
Nasrudin sat on a river bank when someone shouted to him from the opposite side: "Hey! how do I get across?" "You are across!" Nasrudin shouted back.

eyadams
Dedicated MacNNer
May 13, 2004, 12:09 PM

shockme17 has it right. Under OS X, drag a file over a folder, and it will open automatically, making it really easy to place a file into a deeply nested folder. The delay is set in the Finder preferences, I believe.

But I still miss the other kind of Spring Loaded folders, where a "click and a half" would get the same behavior, without the need for grabbing a file first. I used that all the time. It's just about the only feature from OS 9 that I really miss from OS X.

Gankdawg
Professional Poster
May 13, 2004, 01:26 PM

Originally posted by eyadams:
But I still miss the other kind of Spring Loaded folders, where a "click and a half" would get the same behavior, without the need for grabbing a file first. I used that all the time. It's just about the only feature from OS 9 that I really miss from OS X.
I used 'click and a half' in OS 9 too, and loved it; however, in OS X, I use column view for everything and navigate that way. I don't really miss 'click and a half' because I like column view better. IMHO, of course.

MartiNZ
Senior User
May 13, 2004, 03:23 PM

Spring-loaded folders are wondrous things! They are what I miss the most (along with Expos�, looks and general stability ), when I go and use my windows machine. But that's quite funny really, given that most of what they do is make up for the inability to cut and paste in the Finder....

Anyway, I use icon view in the Finder and I've now taken to using the Aqua spacial viewing, even though it can be quite a pain. But this is probably where the function is most useful - if only we could have spring-loading in the dock!

I can't quite understand the "click-and-a-half" thing - I never used OS 8 or 9 much. How did that work?

Developer
Addicted to MacNN
May 13, 2004, 03:29 PM

Originally posted by MartiNZ:
I can't quite understand the "click-and-a-half" thing - I never used OS 8 or 9 much. How did that work?
You clicked-and-a-half a folder (or in other words you double-clicked without releasing the mouse button at the second click), and the folders would open as long as you kept the mouse button down and hovered over a folder.
Nasrudin sat on a river bank when someone shouted to him from the opposite side: "Hey! how do I get across?" "You are across!" Nasrudin shouted back.

shockme17  (op)
May 13, 2004, 04:20 PM

oh ok, i was using that feature without being aware of it. heh. doesnt XP have something like that?

ryju
Professional Poster
May 13, 2004, 04:33 PM

Originally posted by shockme17:
oh ok, i was using that feature without being aware of it. heh. doesnt XP have something like that?
Not bloody likely.

eyadams
Dedicated MacNNer
May 13, 2004, 04:53 PM

doesnt XP have something like that?
It might seem like it, because a click-and-a-half behaves just like a double click. But it isn't the same. After the click-and-a-half nothing more happens until you release the mouse button.

Taipan
Dedicated MacNNer
May 13, 2004, 08:48 PM

Hi!

Now if only the folders in the dock were spring-loaded, too...

stoneage
Dedicated MacNNer
May 16, 2004, 04:41 PM

"Now if only the folders in the dock were spring-loaded, too.."

That is a good idea!!!! I tried it a few months ago out of curiousity, and of course it didn't work. If you could hover over Mail or iCal or iPhoto or...... it would be great.
W....liar or idiot? Pick two.

RooneyX
Mac Elite
May 16, 2004, 05:52 PM

I'd like a little open folder sound. Shouldn't sound like a spring though. Which brings me to saving files in OSX. What's up with the bling sound? The last time I placed a real paper file in a paper folder I didn't hear a bling sound. Why do files go bling when saved but sound like crumpled paper when trashed?

I'll see if I can change it with Xound. No, I can't.

DamnDJ
Mac Enthusiast
May 16, 2004, 10:53 PM

I really don't mind not being able to use spring loaded folders in the Dock, but the one thing I would like to see is dragging a file over the smiling Finder icon on the Dock and have a new ~/ window open.

Forum Links
Forum Rules