Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > Political/War Lounge > A topic for another thread?

A topic for another thread?
lurkalot
Mac Enthusiast
Sep 6, 2004, 11:03 AM

Originally posted by Spliffdaddy:
"if white folks are capable of this sort of behaviour - then, exactly, who in the hell *is* civilized?"LINK
Excuse me?

Here is your thread. Please elaborate.
( Last edited by lurkalot; Sep 6, 2004 at 12:01 PM. )

Spliffdaddy
Posting Junkie
Sep 7, 2004, 01:33 AM

nah.

Spliffdaddy
Posting Junkie
Sep 7, 2004, 09:14 AM

well, ok.

I was commenting on the fact that western society seems to hold white folks in higher regard than non-whites. When there's a massacre in Sierra Leone we might see a news article or two. When there's a massacre in Russia, however, it's front page news for a week.

Honestly, it's as if westerners expect non-whites to fight and kill each other. They are held to a lower standard of civility for some reason.

A massacre at a non-white African school is simply a bad thing. The same thing happening in a mostly white suburb of Toronto would be considered the end of the world.

Obviously, I ain't suggesting that it's right. I'm merely stating an observation I've made over the years.

For civil war to be newsworthy, it *must* involve white folks.

Typical of the liberal press, if ya ask me. Always quick to stereotype non-whites as being oppressed victims - and forever hold them to lower standards of behaviour and responsibility. I mean, their plight is all whitey's fault, anyways, in the opinion of the liberal press.

ebuddy
Posting Junkie
Sep 7, 2004, 09:35 AM

Spliff; I'm not aware of the numbers of violent crimes within the demographics you presented. I would say; Yes, in Toronto a mass killing would sweep news because it is inherantly rare. In the other regions you presented, would it not generally require it's own daily insert; "Death in Africa" ?

Don't get me wrong here; I'm not pleased with the prospect of defending media of almost any sort, it just seems to me news of an airplane landing on a runway is not newsworthy while news of an airplane landing in a corn field may be.

All in all though I agree, this means that we've come to expect death in Africa while we do not expect death in Toronto. This is similar to the "soft-biggotry of low expectation" that is prominent among today's "minds".
ebuddy

Forum Links
Forum Rules