Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > Political/War Lounge > Democrat Teacher kicks student for wearing GOP shirt..

Democrat Teacher kicks student for wearing GOP shirt..
IceBreaker
Mac Enthusiast
Oct 31, 2004, 11:24 AM

http://news.yahoo.com/news?tmpl=stor...ed_1&printer=1

Sat Oct 30, 4:49 PM ET

DURANGO, Colo. - A part-time college instructor has apologized for kicking a student because he was wearing a Republican shirt.

Fort Lewis College student Mark O'Donnell said he was showing people his College Republicans sweat shirt, which said "Work for us now ... or work for us later," when Maria Spero kicked him in the leg at an off-campus restaurant.

Spero then said "she should have kicked me harder and higher," said O'Donnell. "To physically take that out on someone because you disagree with them, that is completely wrong."

Spero, a visiting instructor of modern languages, apologized to O'Donnell in a letter dated Oct. 29.

"I acted entirely inappropriately by kicking you, giving vent to a thoughtless knee-jerk political reaction that should never have happened," she wrote. "Before the incident, I did not know you and that you are a Fort Lewis student."

The college also formally apologized, said David Eppich, assistant to the school's president.

O'Donnell said the apology wasn't enough and he plans to file a complaint with the college. The only phone number listed in Durango for the surname Spero was constantly busy Saturday.

Durango police did not immediately return a call seeking comment.

mikellanes
Mac Elite
Oct 31, 2004, 11:29 AM

Gotta keep em in line

Rolling Bones
Banned
Oct 31, 2004, 02:02 PM

I thought Republicans could take it cuz they were manly men?

CreepingDeth
Professional Poster
Oct 31, 2004, 02:07 PM

Originally posted by Rolling Bones:

I thought Republicans could take it cuz they were manly men?

It's unfair for anyone to attack someone because they wear a shirt.

[Although there is this one kid in school with an Anti-Flag shirt comparing the troops to murderers and OBL. I think he needs a swift kick to the balls. Or a job.]

Rolling Bones
Banned
Oct 31, 2004, 02:28 PM

Originally posted by CreepingDeth:
[Although there is this one kid in school with an Anti-Flag shirt comparing the troops to murderers and OBL. I think he needs a swift kick to the balls. Or a job.]
Some people just ask for it. And some are happy to oblige. I don't know why anyone would wear something like that.

Sad...

CreepingDeth
Professional Poster
Oct 31, 2004, 02:33 PM

Some people just ask for it. And some are happy to oblige. I don't know why anyone would wear something like that.

Sad...
He disgusts me. I'd spit on his ungrateful grave. He is a nut case through and through and extremely annoying.
If this kid got knocked around in basic training, then there would be a plus to a draft.

Anti-Flag shirts
[They say they're not partisan, but I don't see any Bubba bashes]
More shirts
The specific shirt
Disgraceful.

mikellanes
Mac Elite
Oct 31, 2004, 02:36 PM

But your doing a damn good job at it.

CreepingDeth
Professional Poster
Oct 31, 2004, 02:40 PM

Originally posted by mikellanes:
But your doing a damn good job at it.
I'm just saying the kid has it coming to him. I wouldn't do it, but eventually someone will. All I said was that he deserved it.

mikellanes
Mac Elite
Oct 31, 2004, 04:57 PM

I'm just saying the kid has it coming to him. I wouldn't do it, but eventually someone will. All I said was that he deserved it.
As longs as you admit your being unfair thats cool with me.

typoon
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 31, 2004, 05:16 PM

When i read the title of this post I was thinking another yawner. I mean what do you expect from one of the Last liberal bastions in the US?
"Evil is Powerless If the Good are Unafraid." -Ronald Reagan

Apple and Intel, the dawning of a NEW era.

Rolling Bones
Banned
Oct 31, 2004, 06:10 PM

Originally posted by typoon:
When i read the title of this post I was thinking another yawner. I mean what do you expect from one of the Last liberal bastions in the US?
You must live on some planet in a parallel universe.

Isaac
Forum Regular
Nov 1, 2004, 11:44 PM

no I don't. or atleast I will tell myself that....

anyways... anti-flag isn't that bad of a band really, "A New Kind of Army" is probably there best CD, there older stuff is overly militant and hateful, the newer stuff is pacifist but almost reformist....

and, the soilders have:
killed one or more non-combatantants when it wasn't an accident, it was unintended maybe but not an accident, hence therefore they are infact murderers.
they have also:
engaged in scare tactics, such as bombing any structure associated, according to the US's so accurate intelligence services (Chinese Embassy bombing during Kosovo "War"; cruise missle strike on only pharmacutacal company supplying medicine to africa south of the Sahara; Bay of Pigs), with insurgancy operations regardless of the other occupants; so yes they are terrorist.

I assume that most people here are smart enough to tell the difference between unintentional and accidental, but I'll clarify just incase.
unintentional; acknowledged unwanted consequence that you don't take actions to pervent.
accidental; unacknowledged or unforseen consequence resulting from your actions.

"Capitalism is man exploits man, in communism it's the other way around" -- some guy...

PacHead
Baninated
Nov 1, 2004, 11:57 PM

A female liberal, uptight teacher kicking a student for wearing a sweatshirt ? Some people need to practice self control.

If it was me, and some female teacher kicked me, I would've grabbed her liberal boobs and not let go until the violent liberal apologized.

UR-20
Dedicated MacNNer
Nov 2, 2004, 01:25 AM

So as long as it's a shirt you agree with, then it's ok to wear?
How refreshingly hypocritical of you.

UR-20
Dedicated MacNNer
Nov 2, 2004, 01:29 AM

Originally posted by PacHead:
A female liberal, uptight teacher kicking a student for wearing a sweatshirt ? Some people need to practice self control.
That's funny coming from you.

Forum Links
Forum Rules